What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

September North Carolina trip recommendations (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
It is our 25th annivesary this year and we had planned something big, like Thailand or such, but a new grandson kept us around for the summer.  That will get bumped to next year.  Wife has this dream to go to the Outer Banks (thanks a lot Nicholas Sparks), so am thinking I will plan a shorter trip there for September, maybe October?

Questions are:

1. How is this time for the area?  Would not do a ton in the water, but be on the beaches and local highlights.

2. How long would be OK to enjoy the area?  4 days enough to enjoy it and get a feel for it?

3. Thoughts on where to go?  I know there are a LOT of cities and towns that fit in this area.

More to follow as I flesh it out.  TIA

There are still warm days at the OBX during September and some of October.  Hopefully no hurricanes will blow through in September.  Four days is probably long enough to enjoy the area. Do you know what beach (town) you will be staying at?  All of the area is nice and relaxing. One fun thing to do would be to drive to Hatteras and take the ferry over to Ocracoke. You can also ride a horse (not one of the wild Corolla ones) on the beach at Hatteras. They have a program for this, and they offer different tours such as during the day and at sunset.  The lighthouse at Hatteras is also iconic, and the Bodie lighthouse is cool too. You can hang glide at Jockey's Ridge. They teach you how to do it. 

You mentioned your wife wanting to go thanks to Nicholas Sparks. The Nights in Rodanthe house is still in Rodanthe. It had to be moved some, because it was becoming part of the ocean, but it is still on the beach. It was sold last year, and is now called the Inn at Rodanthe. It isn't an Inn though, it is a beach house rental. I think it is booked up for a long time, except it looks like November 8th and December 28-30 of 2019 is available. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are still warm days at the OBX during September and some of October.  Hopefully no hurricanes will blow through in September.  Four days is probably long enough to enjoy the area. Do you know what beach (town) you will be staying at?  All of the area is nice and relaxing. One fun thing to do would be to drive to Hatteras and take the ferry over to Ocracoke. You can also ride a horse (not one of the wild Corolla ones) on the beach at Hatteras. They have a program for this, and they offer different tours such as during the day and at sunset.  The lighthouse at Hatteras is also iconic, and the Bodie lighthouse is cool too. You can hang glide at Jockey's Ridge. They teach you how to do it. 

You mentioned your wife wanting to go thanks to Nicholas Sparks. The Nights in Rodanthe house is still in Rodanthe. It had to be moved some, because it was becoming part of the ocean, but it is still on the beach. It was sold last year, and is now called the Inn at Rodanthe. It isn't an Inn though, it is a beach house rental. I think it is booked up for a long time, except it looks like November 8th and December 28-30 of 2019 is available. 
No idea where to stay, open to recommendations on that.  Appreciate the ideas, thank you!

It's beautiful in the mountains that time of year if you can talk her out of the beach...
We live in Utah where we have some huge mountains, but we do enjoy the hiking.  How long to get to them and any suggested trails, or best hit up alltrails?

We live in Utah where we have some huge mountains, but we do enjoy the hiking.  How long to get to them and any suggested trails, or best hit up alltrails?
It's an either or thing. Mountains are almost 8 hours from the coast, and while gorgeous in their own way, may not compare to the mountains out west.

As for the Outer Banks, where you go will depend on what kind of vacation you want. Farther south is less built up, and to me feels more like older authentic Outer Banks. The middle section, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk are the most crowded but also provide the most to do in regards to eating out and nightlife. Further north around Duck and Corolla are lots of vacation homes but less crowded than the middle. Just north of Corolla are vacation homes that you have to drive on the beach to, which is interesting. We did that a few years back, had wild horses 20 feet away from us while we were enjoying a sunset in the hot tub. But was also a pain to drive on the beach to get back to civilization. Their are other beaches you can drive on (Hatteras, maybe a few others) so consider renting a 4x4 if that interests you.

I am partial to the Avon area of the Outer Banks.  It has beautiful beaches and limited commercialization.  There are plenty of houses for rent that time of year.  Again, the hurricanes are the only real concern since there is limited access.   We like to hit the Light Houses (don't remember how many, but they are worth the time).  

My wife loves the sunset at Oregon Inlet on the Bay side. 

The mountains are 6-8 hours depending on where you leave from and head to.  We like the Boone area.  They have a nice rustic downtown (ice cream there is great!). 

We do 2 weeks in the village of Salvo on Hatteras Island each year in September, after the rates have dropped.  Paradise.  Recommend any of the Hatteras Island villages (Rodanthe, Salvo, Waves, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras).

I've been almost everywhere on the Outerbanks, a few things you need to think about.

1. As mentioned, September is hurricane season.  It's unlikely that one will happen but not out of the question.
  2. If you're going after Labor Day rates will drop and you should have good options on accommodations.  There aren't any huge hotels in the outerbanks and almost everyone rents houses.  Look on VRBO, HomeAway, etc. or local realtor sites.
  3. Weather should be nice, however in September things start slowing and shutting down.  The later into September and October you get the more you should expect shops, restaurants, etc. to be closed.  Also expect the beaches to be pretty much empty.
  4. Four days is not enough in my opinion, especially depending on how you get there and where you are going.  Many parts are big drives, especially Hatteras and Ocracoke.  I generally won't go if it's less than a week.
  5. If she wants the Nicholas Sparks experience she's talking about Rodanthe, so I'd look there first.  Nags Head is the most busy and accessible (although least appealing to me) but may be a good option that time of year, Ocracoke is the least accessible (Ferry only) but super cool.  For the time of year you're going I probably wouldn't stay north of Duck, there isn't a whole lot to do up there and some of it is 4WD accessible only.

We went to the Outerbanks for the first time earlier this year (beginning of June). Rodanthe or further south is the way to go, IMO. We had a condo in Rondanthe via VRBO and it was awesome - short walk to the beach, easy access to plenty of restaurants and such. Lots of time walking the beach.

We flew into Norfolk and it's about a 2 hour drive or so down. North end is very congested/crowded/commercial. Little bit of a drive down to Rondanthe but much more secluded/private/peaceful. I agree with @Buckychudd, 4 days seems like it would be short. We were there a week and it rocked. It was an easy drive North if/when we wanted to do stuff there (spent a day on Roanoke Island), but was a more fun day driving south to Avon, Buxton, Hatteras areas and the ferry. 

We will definitely be going back down there in the future. 

Southern Outer Banks, our family likes Emerald Isle. 

Movie theater, fantastic book store and plenty to do. A lot of good restaurants if you’re not interested in doing a lot of cooking 

Buckychudd said:
I've been almost everywhere on the Outerbanks, a few things you need to think about.

1. As mentioned, September is hurricane season.  It's unlikely that one will happen but not out of the question.
  2. If you're going after Labor Day rates will drop and you should have good options on accommodations.  There aren't any huge hotels in the outerbanks and almost everyone rents houses.  Look on VRBO, HomeAway, etc. or local realtor sites.
  3. Weather should be nice, however in September things start slowing and shutting down.  The later into September and October you get the more you should expect shops, restaurants, etc. to be closed.  Also expect the beaches to be pretty much empty.
  4. Four days is not enough in my opinion, especially depending on how you get there and where you are going.  Many parts are big drives, especially Hatteras and Ocracoke.  I generally won't go if it's less than a week.
  5. If she wants the Nicholas Sparks experience she's talking about Rodanthe, so I'd look there first.  Nags Head is the most busy and accessible (although least appealing to me) but may be a good option that time of year, Ocracoke is the least accessible (Ferry only) but super cool.  For the time of year you're going I probably wouldn't stay north of Duck, there isn't a whole lot to do up there and some of it is 4WD accessible only.
EXCELLENT ADVICE!  

Southern Outer Banks, our family likes Emerald Isle. 

Movie theater, fantastic book store and plenty to do. A lot of good restaurants if you’re not interested in doing a lot of cooking 
Most people wouldn't consider Emerald Isle part of the Outer Banks.

:shrug:

Pretty sure when I watch the local weather they call it the Southern Outer Banks :shrug:
I think this must be a recent marketing trend. I lived less than an hour from Emerald Isle for several years in the late 80's, and in Wilmington in the 90's, and no one ever referred to Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, etc. as the Southern Outer Banks. It was called the Crystal Coast. Emerald Isle is nice though.

So, would you get that travel insurance for cancellations if traveling here in September?  I have never gotten it or really thought about it or needed it, but you guys and your hurricane talk. . .

So, would you get that travel insurance for cancellations if traveling here in September?  I have never gotten it or really thought about it or needed it, but you guys and your hurricane talk. . .
Absolutely, get the insurance.

Hurricanes interrupted or caused cancellation of our 2003 (Isabel), 2011 (Irene), and 2018 (Florence) September trips.  Additionally, during our 2017 trip Irma was modeled to possibly hit from the south before staying inland and going up the Appalachians instead.  Then Jose just missed to seaward (after doing a loop).  A few days after our vacation ended, Maria caused a mandatory evacuation, although it didn't landfall.  We have been doing September trips annually since 2011, and 2002-2004 prior to that.  So 3 of 11 trips were impacted, and a 4th (2017) had a couple close calls.

Additionally, the risk is elevated if you are staying on Hatteras Island.  NC 12 gets overwash in several spots (including a couple north of Rodanthe) due to routine storms where the wind is onshore, and since that is the only road out they pull the evacuation trigger first down there.  The evac risk is slightly lower north of Oregon Inlet, and you are usually allowed back in quicker as well.

Having insurance saved us $2000 (of $2400) in 2011, and $2000 (of $4000) in 2018.  Last year we were refunded the basic rental rate for the 7 days or so that the Dare County mandatory evacuation was in effect.  Oh, and read the policy closely.  They are all the same, but make sure you understand what is covered, how to initiate a claim, and what docs you need to have.  A link to the Dare County evacuation order is a good start.

unrelated side note.  went out to topsail, surf city yesterday to look for a beach property to buy.  made an offer today.  it’s dog friendly year round.

enjoy the coast!

Most people wouldn't consider Emerald Isle part of the Outer Banks.

:shrug:
Pretty sure when I watch the local weather they call it the Southern Outer Banks
Emerald Isle is a part of the Southern Outer Banks. As Kilgore mentioned, that area was usually referred to as the Crystal Coast. It is still called the Crystal Coast, but over the last 10 years or so, it is also referred to as the Southern Outer Banks (SOBX). Cape Lookout is considered the northern tip of the Southern Outer Banks, and Emerald Isle is the southern tip. My family has been going to Emerald Isle for the past 20+ years. I also went to the area a lot in the 80s when I was a college student at ECU. It got smacked pretty hard by Hurricane Florence last year, but this past summer it was cleaned up pretty well. There is still some damage they are working on. One of my best friends lives in Kitty Hawk, and she said Florence was more like a Nor'easter in that area.

Chemical X said:
unrelated side note.  went out to topsail, surf city yesterday to look for a beach property to buy.  made an offer today.  it’s dog friendly year round.

enjoy the coast!
How’s the market there is pricing still reasonable?

Headed to Wrightsville this week on vacation that would be my recommendation for a September trip. 

Headed to Wrightsville this week on vacation that would be my recommendation for a September trip. 
I like Wrightsville Beach, but it gets crowded, and parking is a PIA in the summer.  Parking wouldn't be a problem though if you were staying at the beach and could just walk. I love Wilmington, and go there often to visit friends. That area got flooded bad by Florence last September. 

I like Wrightsville Beach, but it gets crowded, and parking is a PIA in the summer.  Parking wouldn't be a problem though if you were staying at the beach and could just walk. I love Wilmington, and go there often to visit friends. That area got flooded bad by Florence last September. 
Yeah we try to do mid August when kids are about to go back to school and it lightens up. September parking should be better and beach still nice. This will be my first time down since the storm. 

Chemical X said:

enjoy the coast!
I was literally out there this weekend doing the same thing. Didn’t find anything to make an offer on yet though. 

Chemical X said:

enjoy the coast!
Emerald Isle is dog friendly year round too, but the dog has to be on a leash on the beach.

I was literally out there this weekend doing the same thing. Didn’t find anything to make an offer on yet though. 
We offered on something in the Surf Condos.  Can get a 1 bedroom under $200k IMO.  They have a pool.  Nice location.  Condo allows owners' dogs.  Gonna throw caution to the wind and take a shot.  We are not gonna rent and use it year round.  Don't even bother going too far north there, N Topsail seemed a mess to me.

We did some good research.  I refuse to pay over $250/sf.  I've seen some crazies over $300, even over $400, but that won't be me.  We just need a nice 1 bedroom that we can make our own.  The condo we offered on includes flood insurance, internet, water/sewer, cable, etc. in the monthly HOA fee.  We will bulk up the insurance, since we decided to take a mortgage and not pay cash.  No way am I putting a dime more in my money into it than I need to. 

Two options and I've done both many times...

1) Get a place very close to the town of Duck.  This is what I call uppity OBX.  You want to be able to walk to the town.  Some of the communities that are closest are Duck Landing and Schooner Ridge.  Most people try to get a house close to the beach.  Shark move is to get closer to the town for easy access to restaurants, shops, the new'ish' walkway on the sound.  Duck is not as remote or desolate as most parts of the OBX.  If you want to remove yourself from the world, Duck is not it.   Go to a dump in Southern Shores called John's Drive In to get the dolphin sandwich and a shake (call to make sure open cause they have weird hours).  Coastal Cravings is a gas station with a great crabcake right in Duck.  Easy trip up to Corolla and driving on the beach/horses.  Easy to get to groceries, etc in Southern Shores.

2) Avon/Buxton - Remote areas that would be awful in a hurricane.  I enjoy the beaches here.  Peaceful.  Great boogie boarding, although in Sept may be cold that far out on the OBX.  Good fishing and not too hard to get back up to the Oregon Inlet where you can fish from your vehicle on the sand.  Some good restaurants.  Enough to do.  A hike to get down there though.  Probably want more than 4 days once you go that far.  This place can look pretty beat up in the Fall/Winter.  The buildings take major punishment from mother nature.  But to get away, it's defiinitely an option.

As other have said, Emerald Isle is not really part of the OBX.  OBX stops at Cape Lookout.  But E.I. is a great place to go.  They started saying Southern OBX a few years ago.  Guess to market themselves better.

I am not a fan of Nags Head of KDH.  Not remote enough to be Avon.  Not nice enough to be Duck.

Going to be getting flights and reservations this week.  So is Charleston the best airport for this?

If you can get to Wilmington, that would be your best bet.  Someone also mentioned Jacksonville, NC, but I cant imagine that operates for commercial.

Not at all.  Probably Norfolk, but you could look at Raleigh or Wilmington as well.
If he is going to the Hatteras area, Norfolk International is the closest. Greenville, NC's airport is second closest. New Bern's airport is third closest, and Raleigh is the fourth closest.

My wife and I both like to run, is there a better town than another for great boardwalks or trails to run along the beaches?

Got everything all set.  Fly in Wednesday PM, leave Sunday PM.  Have a condo that has the door go right to the beach in Kill Devil Hills, looks like this quaint old place I found on VRBO.  Excited for 2 weeks to be here!

We will be in Kill Devil Hills, but can travel for great food.  Any other restaurant recommendations?

The mountains are a bit different than Utah. Wait until October and go to Asheville as the leaves are changing. A lot of good hiking around there, plus good restaurants and Biltmore House if you’re into that sort of thing.

ETA Oops, didn’t see the update. Hope you have a great trip.

Had a great trip, thanks all for the help.  Kill Devils Hill was great for what we wanted.  If we had gone remote, we would have been hosed by Dorian.  Almost no issues at all in the northern areas.  Had great food.  Loved John's and the Rundown Cafe was fantastic.  Spent a lot of time on the beach.

They finally opened Hatteras island on Friday, so we drove that way and got to jump on some of those long empty beach stretches where there were thousands of intact shells, so my wife loved that.  Will have to come back again some time.

Had a great trip, thanks all for the help.  Kill Devils Hill was great for what we wanted.  If we had gone remote, we would have been hosed by Dorian.  Almost no issues at all in the northern areas.  Had great food.  Loved John's and the Rundown Cafe was fantastic.  Spent a lot of time on the beach.

They finally opened Hatteras island on Friday, so we drove that way and got to jump on some of those long empty beach stretches where there were thousands of intact shells, so my wife loved that.  Will have to come back again some time.
Nice.  How badly damaged was Hatteras?

Nice.  How badly damaged was Hatteras?
Ocracoke is still closed to all but residents and aid workers, but there was a LOT of stuff all along the main road to be picked up.  I am guessing that the flooding damaged hundreds of refrigerators and washer/dryers, or else a ton of people were taking advantage of the situation and ditching old ones.  I question that Dorian damaged the old beat up tires, though.  Lots of ripped sides and roofs.  Lots of sand on the road just after the bridge, too.

Users who are viewing this thread