Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Preseason Games Thread - Observations and commentary from the FBG Shark Pool

22 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also I have to laugh at the Lions. 4th and goal from the 5 and they kick a FG. 

No reason to practice something other than a FG since that's the Lions m.o. Get inside the 10, fail miserably and kick a  FG.

Take a step and touch Josh Allen as he was falling = penalty.

Take at least a step and help push Stafford to the ground after throwing the ball away = good play >.>

Having watched Kareem Hunt in 2 games now.

He just doesn't look like the same person. It's bad. He looks like Ray Rice at age 26 after the debacle.

Ragnow with a leg injury, couldn't put weight on it. Good thing the Lions played their starters for 1.5 quarters this game, it looks like may have cost them their 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for the season. 

37 minutes ago, TZMarkie said:

Was that Todd Bowles I just saw on the sidelines for the Bucs?????

WOW..... Now I am even higher on the Bucs offensive guys this year...... because Todd Bowles has proven time and time again he can stop NO ONE.

Jameis Winston , welcome to my fantasy teams~!   :)

TZM

Huh? Bowles was actually a great D Coordinator. He’s just a terrible HC.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Ragnow with a leg injury, couldn't put weight on it. Good thing the Lions played their starters for 1.5 quarters this game, it looks like may have cost them their 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for the season. 

Preseason is so played out. Joint practices are enough for the starters imo. Even with preseason, teams are still working out the kinks for the first 2-3 games of the regular season, so who cares. It's not serving to get teams ready. They should be able to evaluate their guys in practices. And there should be expanded rosters. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Fun Fact: Fatt Patricia was a defensive coordinator prior to taking the DET HC job.

TD Bills.

Much of the Bills scoring drive was aided by Lions penalties which is just good coaching. Your opponent can't put up yards on your D if you keep committing penalties. Do it enough and the D might lead the league in fewest yards given up per game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Huh? Bowles was actually a great D Coordinator. He’s just a terrible HC.

Yep, I said it mostly as a joke.   He was definitely better as a coordinator than he was as a head coach.  But thats kind of a bad way to look at it I suppose.

He was  terrible as a head coach.

One of my buddies, hes a tried, tested and true Jets fan.  In 20 years, I have never heard him say a single bad word about any Jet whatsoever.... and there has been some BAD Jets in that time frame. He never even #####ed about the "butt fumble" and Sanchez. (even if he thought someone was bad, he kept it to himself)

Then about 2 years ago while playing poker, he finally piped up and declared "Todd Bowles is just flat awful".

You would have to know this guy to get it, but several of the guys that know him well just couldn't stop laughing.

TZM

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Preseason is so played out. Joint practices are enough for the starters imo. Even with preseason, teams are still working out the kinks for the first 2-3 games of the regular season, so who cares. It's not serving to get teams ready. They should be able to evaluate their guys in practices. And there should be expanded rosters. 

I don't know, the rhythm the team got into in that 1.5 quarters might be worth losing 2 of our 10 best players for the year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I don't know, the rhythm the team got into in that 1.5 quarters might be worth losing 2 of our 10 best players for the year. 

It’s almost like playing in a game that doesn’t matter and that most players (and coaches) half ### might lead to injuries because, you know, the peak level athletes are doing things differently than how they would be if the games actually mattered.

Edited by gabes1919
  • Like 1

Kyler Murray throws a pretty ball. 

Dalvin Cook 85yd TD run. 

3 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Arizona's D looks horrible.......should be great for their offense. 

I think their offense has looked equally as ####ty this preseason.

It’s a good thing what the Cardinals want to do but when your OLine and D is on the level of Washington and Miami you’re not going to be a very good team. Detroit is looking like an interesting streaming D option to me week 1.

Just now, Iceman03 said:

I think their offense has looked equally as ####ty this preseason.

You should stay far far away from that offense then. 

6 minutes ago, pbandy1 said:

start kerryon johnson week 1 in all formats

If there is anyone that has the luxury of not starting him I'd like to see their roster. Aside from dynasties where he is on their taxi.

Just now, Milkman said:

You should stay far far away from that offense then. 

I’ve been beginning to fade them. Everyone thinks they’re smart because of the big talk of trying to run an impossible number of plays this season. I think Murray can be good and, like I said, what they’re trying to accomplish with their offense is good. Let’s not forget Adam Gase wanted Miami to be tops in offensive plays prior to last season and Chip Kelly was going to reset the league with his pace. It doesn’t happen if your OLine is dog #### and Dameire Byrd is one of your outside WR’s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhantomJB said:

How does DJ look? 2016 or 2018?

He's got more room to move. Getting the screens he was missing last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Milkman said:

He's got more room to move. Getting the screens he was missing last year. 

Yeah. I'm thinking close to 2016 volume but only half the TD's but difficult to get a read so far.

8 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

Yeah. I'm thinking close to 2016 volume but only half the TD's but difficult to get a read so far.

Just depends on if you believe in Kingsbury, Kyler, and the Air Raid. 

Some people do and some don't.

39 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

AZ with 44 offensive plays in the first half. Good Lord.

Kyler hasn't fully settled in yet either......he'll place the ball better in the future. 

• Like 1

Did Minnesota blitz at all today? I've been casually watching but they are clearly not bringing the house like the Raiders did. That being said, Kyler looked real good throwing the ball. 

1 hour ago, PhantomJB said:

How does DJ look? 2016 or 2018?

He doesn't seem very explosive to me. He'll be better than last year with increased volume alone. I'm still concerned about the line but they looked ok from what I saw today. I still think it could be a slow start for the Cards given all the new parts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr roboto said:

Kyler Murray throws a pretty ball. 

Dalvin Cook 85yd TD run. 

I was targeting Dalvin for my second pick in my first draft in a couple day's. I hope I wasn't Ameer Abdullad.

5 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

Did Minnesota blitz at all today? I've been casually watching but they are clearly not bringing the house like the Raiders did. That being said, Kyler looked real good throwing the ball. 

Blitzing a QB with 4.3 wheels all the time wouldn't be smart. He's not trying to get hurt in the preseason but week 1 he'll break a couple runs that will make teams think twice about blitzing. 

5 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

He doesn't seem very explosive to me. He'll be better than last year with increased volume alone. I'm still concerned about the line but they looked ok from what I saw today. I still think it could be a slow start for the Cards given all the new parts.

Yeah. Love DJ as a player but he's going ~RB5 and there's too much uncertainty IMO for that spot.

16 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

Agreed. DJ doesn't look as dynamic as he was earlier in his career. I was pretty sure of it last year, but it was hard to accurately gauge him in that mess.

I don't know the reason(s), but it's apparent, IMO. Maybe he'll ratchet it up & get going in the regular season. The offense should be better (theoritically).

Edited by Football Jones

12 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Blitzing a QB with 4.3 wheels all the time wouldn't be smart. He's not trying to get hurt in the preseason but week 1 he'll break a couple runs that will make teams think twice about blitzing. 

He'll be breaking long runs this year for sure. This feels very similar to how I felt about Mahomes last year. I didn't know what or when to expect it from Mahomes. Then week one showed up and new exactly what and when. Murray is a bit different in that there could still be a never baked in here but I feel pretty confident in his talent.

9 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Agreed. DJ doesn't look as dynamic as he was earlier in his career. I was pretty sure of it last year, but it was hard to accurately gauge him in that mess.

I'm not sure of the reason(s), but it's apparent, IMO. Maybe he'll ratchet it up & get going in the regular season. The offense should be better (theoritically).

You have to wonder if at some point playing behind a bad line you feel you are going to get hit sooner than you really do sometimes. I know this happens to QB's. He looks more patient this year, almost Lev Bellish. I don't think that's gonna work behind this line. 

6 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

You have to wonder if at some point playing behind a bad line you feel you are going to get hit sooner than you really do sometimes. I know this happens to QB's. He looks more patient this year, almost Lev Bellish. I don't think that's gonna work behind this line. 

That's possible. DJ just doesn't look like the player he was in 2016.

Of course, the offense did him no favors last season & it remains to be seen how things will shake out with Air Raid. He certainly could use a better OL.

Lamar Miller carted off

One preseason carry, and carted off.

FWIW, I thought I very briefly saw his lower leg bend a bit awkwardly, and noteworthy or not, they did NOT  show it again. (But I stepped away from the TV)

In other news, DeShaun Watson is getting brutalized, apparently the Texans won't be happy unless they lose him too.

TZM