What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Games Thread - Observations and commentary from the FBG Shark Pool (1 Viewer)

Can someone explain to me how Duke Johnson was supposedly traded early this morning, but YET HE STILL APPARENTLY PLAYED FOR THE BROWNS TONIGHT??

It lists him in the box score.  Unless the Texans backed out of the trade and it hasn't went public yet, I don't think I've seen players get traded then later play for the original team before "leaving the team" for their new organization.

Must be something I have missed, or maybe the trade was rescinded due to some physical clause or something.

Any info is appreciated.

EDIT - Unless someone took the field wearing Duke's number, and it was a box score mistake.....

TZM
D’Ernest Johnson

.... not all D. Johnson’s are the same, bro

Ok perfect.

I checked an ESPN boxscore earlier (a friend pointed me in that direction, he couldn't figure it out either), and it had Duke Johnson listed.

Maybe it has been changed by now.

Thanks.

TZM

Welcome back. Still loved your case for the Chiefs for D/ST the year after when they sucked and that next year they had a ton of Def TD to start the year. So funny! Well welcome back!
Holy ####...what a memory you have. I recall that vividly. If you remember and I wouldn't be surprised if you do,, I was the one back in maybe it was 2000 who came up kind of by accident with this defense by committee strategy and I recall I said when I looked at the schedules of the Chargers and Steelers, you might have a potential #1 type D/ST. And  it ended up being a wild success.

Than I believe that dude Chase Stuart...I think that was his name as he was a fellow Jet fan like moi took this strategy and ran with it as he morphed andhad all these computerized stats and he ended up doing it in a much more scientific way than I did. Anyways...good memories and thx for the welcome back...cheers

Ekeler - but tell me both now that we are having a conversation
I kind of eluded to it in my previous post on the subject. If we are using the scenario that your draft is coming up in the next few weeks and Gordon hasn't signed yet, I'll likely re-rank Ekeler from being a decent #3 back in that 34-36 range and move him up to the 24-26 range. So depending upon how my draft is going and I'll already have my #1 back...let's say Lev Bell for example, I'd probably target Ekeler in the late 4th round early 5th when #2/#3  type backs when the Sony Michel, Mark Ingrims, James White's start to come off the board. 

And than if Gordon is still around, I'd likely take him with my next pick. Perfect scenario would be having a late 4th early 5th round pick and you take them back to back as there is too much upside to not do something like this. Than you take Jackson later on to cover yourself. That's kind of what I'm going to do seeing I really want a big piece of this Charger offense but don't want Rivers.

Auction, i think you can get both for around the same price as a Joe Mixon is going for but this is all dependent obviously on Gordon still being unsigned and talks seemingly going nowhere.....hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of eluded to it in my previous post on the subject. If we are using the scenario that your draft is coming up in the next few weeks and Gordon hasn't signed yet, I'll likely re-rank Ekeler from being a decent #3 back in that 34-36 range and move him up to the 24-26 range. So depending upon how my draft is going and I'll already have my #1 back...let's say Lev Bell for example, I'd probably target Ekeler in the late 4th round early 5th when #2/#3  type backs when the Sony Michel, Mark Ingrims, James White's start to come off the board. 

And than if Gordon is still around, I'd likely take him with my next pick. Perfect scenario would be having a late 4th early 5th round pick and you take them back to back as there is too much upside to not do something like this. Than you take Jackson later on to cover yourself. That's kind of what I'm going to do seeing I really want a big piece of this Charger offense but don't want Rivers.

Auction, i think you can get both for around the same price as a Joe Mixon is going for but this is all dependent obviously on Gordon still being unsigned and talks seemingly going nowhere.....hope that helps
Good stuff - I thought I was asking gabes1919 - and now I see I responded to you when I asked the question.

IMO - I might steer clear of this even in 4/5. You do however get at least 1 to payoff - and lord knows I've blown plenty of 4/5 round picks in 35 years of drafting. I would feel better if I hit solid on both picks in 4/5 and this seems like I'm limiting myself. The other wildcard is the Spanos' family itself and this negotiation seems be digging deeper trenches as time goes on. 

Bronco Seahawk game now featuring Paxton Lynch in at QB...........for the Seahawks. The NFL is weird sometimes.

Haha literally just posted this. Ekeler’s value will be shot by draft time. Anyone that got him already consider yourself blessed. 
I have him a keeper league and drafted Elliot in round one of same league. I hope a least one of them is starting for their respective teams, both would be sweet.

sooo how the heck do you watch the preseason games that are done already? NFL Network on Uverse is no bueno anymore.
You can watch on your phone via the NFL app>NFL Network with any mobile carrier (thanks to Verizon's deal with the NFL). 

To watch on wi-fi, you need to sign in through your cable company. If you've cut the cord, you can watch using data.

To watch on something bigger than a phone without cable/Sling/etc, you need NFL's Game Pass (which I love).

Last edited by a moderator:
DK Metcalf flashed a few moments where he looked like he overmatched the DB on him. Both plays resulted in incompletions but he ran by a guy on one who had given him a 10 yard cushion off the line (ball was overthrown) made a good read on the other and went around/through the guy on a second (should have caught that one). Both plays were with Geno at QB.

I’ve been wondering when we would get an NFL kicker who was good and could punt. That dual threat could save teams a roster spot.
I’m curious to see if a team would do that. Saves the roster spot but now if the guy gets hurt, you don’t have anyone who can kickoff, kick fgs, or punt.

I’m curious to see if a team would do that. Saves the roster spot but now if the guy gets hurt, you don’t have anyone who can kickoff, kick fgs, or punt.
Good point though I feel like teams often don’t even trust the punters to kick extra points and will just go for 2 

Good point though I feel like teams often don’t even trust the punters to kick extra points and will just go for 2 
I think you’re right that most would go for 2 rather than have the punter kick now that the kick is from 33 yards. But I meant if you had a guy doing the kicking and punting and he went down, now you’d lose all your special teams abilities at once. If my kicker gets hurt and he also punts not only can I not kick field goals and kickoffs but I’m screwed in the punting game too. Kicker and punter are the only 2 positions (maybe long snapper is too) without active backups.

Winston marches the Bucs down the field on the opening drive...TD Godwin, Jones a factor.

Cousins looks sharp. Hits Theilen on a deep ball just short of the goal line. Hits Mattison for a swing pass TD. 

Teddy marching down the field as well. 

I’m hoping someone else burns a high pick on him. I don’t think he can hold up to feature back work and will end up splitting with Jackson. And isn’t there something about Melvin having to play 6 games? So you lose him for the playoffs. 

Edit- about Ekeler
I hold Ekeler in one league and this is my concern. Jackson may ultimately be the RB to own 

Just offer your 6th for Vedvik and a 7th. done.
Speaking of Vedvik...he's still listed as a Punter in MFL, without PK eligibility, until tomorrow, at least. From a support ticket submitted/replied to today - Friday 9th:

Yes, he was drafted as a punter last year, and then spent the year on IR. But now that he's show potential for a kicking job, he will be updated in our system to be a kicker. That will take place overnight, so he will be in our system as a kicker starting tomorrow.

So does Jakobi Meyers have an actual shot?
Interested in this too.  Line looks good but I didn't actually see any of the game.
A shot to make the team for sure. A shot at significant in season action?

They took Harry out fairly early, after he made a nice diving grab. I think they still see Harry as the "starter", and Edelman of course. Liking Meyers' opportunity as a whole but would temper expectations a bit

Users who are viewing this thread