Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Preseason Games Thread - Observations and commentary from the FBG Shark Pool

Arians challenged an offensive PI call and it was changed to defensive PI. Should've been a no call. Hail Mary passes will be challenged this year, no question.

The NFL has to move to a 2 game preseason.  None of the good players even play in the first couple games.  At most 1 or 2 series.  

It's a complete waste.  Embarrassing for the league.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

The NFL has to move to a 2 game preseason.  None of the good players even play in the first couple games.  At most 1 or 2 series.  

At least when they trade draft picks the player isn’t wearing the jersey of a team that traded the pick three trades ago though. So they got that going for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

I disagree. The preseason isn't just about getting the starters ready, it's about figuring out who will make the team, developing young players in actual game type play, getting game experience for backups, etc. 

It may not have a lot of value to entrenched starters/stars, but it does still have value, especially to the back end up the rosters.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, gump said:

Was the sack Winston to end the first drive ugly?  Knocked out of field goal range.

It was sad

3 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

I disagree. The preseason isn't just about getting the starters ready, it's about figuring out who will make the team, developing young players in actual game type play, getting game experience for backups, etc. 

It may not have a lot of value to entrenched starters/stars, but it does still have value, especially to the back end up the rosters.

I mean I agree with him that it’s a wreck for PSL fans. It’s extremely valuable for the Christian Wade’s and Tanner Hudson’s of the world. 

9 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

in NJ the Giants force season ticket holders and PSL people,  to buy the preseason games AND parking passes its total B.S. , a complete rip-off.imagine being forced to buy the tix for games you have no intention of going to. not sure if other teams do the same thing ( I do not think Arthur Blank would force his season ticket holders to do the same).

I agree about a 2-game preseason it's ridiculous that it is 4 games.

as for the games  this preseason - if people weren't watching the Giants they should have. reports about Barkley's demise are greatly overblown. he's STILL is the #1 fantasy pick.The Giants o-line were blowing the Bears' defense all over the place. Will Hernandez was 5-6 yards deep in the defense on EVERY run play, at the LB level, pushing  people around with EASE. Solder was crushing it on the left side. the Giants offense looks crisp, tight, and has a lot of juice to it. DJ might be the QB of the future but 2 fumbles last night will not secure a job against Eli, who tossed a TD and was flawless on the night.

I know the Bears' truthers think the offense is OK, but this is now 7 games in a row, dating back to last season,that the Bears have not scored more than 15 pts in 5 of the last 7 games. they look stifled. Giants defense is not exactly the best in the game, and they had their way with the Bears last night. might want to pump the brakes on the D. Montgomery bandwagon and that Bears defense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

in NJ the Giants force season ticket holders and PSL people,  to buy the preseason games AND parking passes its total B.S. , a complete rip-off.imagine being forced to buy the tix for games you have no intention of going to. not sure if other teams do the same thing ( I do not think Arthur Blank would force his season ticket holders to do the same).

I agree about a 2-game preseason it's ridiculous that it is 4 games.

There’s absolutely no market for those Jets/Giants PS games, everyone I know gives theirs away (usually to someone with little kids, big thrill seeing their first NFL game.) Firms don’t even think about offering them to clients, it’d be an insult. I took my son when he was 8 or 10 on some comp tix - don’t even remember which team, but it was a miserable night with temps around 90. Never again lol.

8 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

The Giants o-line were blowing the Bears' defense all over the place. Will Hernandez was 5-6 yards deep in the defense on EVERY run play, at the LB level, pushing  people around with EASE. Solder was crushing it on the left side. the Giants offense looks crisp, tight, and has a lot of juice to it. DJ might be the QB of the future but 2 fumbles last night will not secure a job against Eli, who tossed a TD and was flawless on the night.

I know the Bears' truthers think the offense is OK, but this is now 7 games in a row, dating back to last season,that the Bears have not scored more than 15 pts in 5 of the last 7 games. they look stifled. Giants defense is not exactly the best in the game, and they had their way with the Bears last night. might want to pump the brakes on the D. Montgomery bandwagon and that Bears defense. 

Bears aren’t playing their starters on Friday night

Kyle Long didn’t travel to New Jersey for Friday night’s game with the rest of the Bears, but he won’t be the only member of the team who isn’t playing against the Giants.

The Bears announced that 25 other players will sit out the team’s second preseason game of the summer. The list encompasses just about all of the team’s regulars on both sides of the ball.

Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, running back Tarik Cohen, the entire starting offensive line and first-string defense will be sitting out on Friday night. The top three wideouts, top two tight ends and running back David Montgomery round out the list of those that will be watching rather than doing.

The Bears will play their third preseason game on August 24 and we’ll have to wait to see if there’s any change to head coach Matt Nagy’s approach to exhibition contests at that point.

Montgomery didn't play. 

The Bears defense didn't play.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

16 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

In a 4 pt td league I’d be fine taking josh Allen in the 15th and riding him 👻

cant believe he’s goings 5 rounds after Murray 

He looks good and has more weapons this year. I'll be targeting him as well as my second QB who could end up being my number 1.

It seemed like Adam Humphries was targeted every play in their last game. He could be a bargain pick in the 14th were he is currently going. He'll probably creep up a little though.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

I'm high on Winston due to the Arians effect. Let's see.

If he can just pull it down and run more instead of forcing the throw thats not there he could be elite.

16 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Sounds like Singletary had a nice play was hoping i could watch this one 

He looked great catching the ball. He has swag. He is another guy I am gonna try to get on all teams.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, Dr. Dan said:

ito Smith is turrible

Where does Ollison land in that backfield?

On 8/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, ffldrew said:

no doubt about AZ Defense - it stinks

Opposing offenses should be able to play keep away from the Cardinals offense.  That could hurt the upside many are projecting for AZ offensive players.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:02 PM, ffldrew said:

I've seen that clueless look on the sideline too often.

What was Jeff Fisher doing on a sideline?

On 8/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, Choke said:

If you are in a ppr, dont sleep on li'l Boston Scott.

The Saints took him to be the Sproles type if it worked out eventually but the Eagles snagged him from their PS.   A tiny Dynamo who can do returns also. After Sanders and Howard (1 yearr deal) they don't have anything worth a damn.

He's a roster body IMO.  ??

We sold our PSL and our season tickets five years ago, in part due to the preseason shakedown. We haven’t regretted it for a second. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mongidig said:

If he can just pull it down and run more instead of forcing the throw thats not there he could be elite.

I rostered him last year. He's not that fast. He runs a 4.97 forty. At the combine.

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I rostered him last year. He's not that fast. He runs a 4.97 forty. At the combine.

I get it that he is no michael vick. I do think he is elusive and strong enough to be able to effectively scramble where need be. It's still better if he scrambles for a little than throw a ridiculous interception. He is a better runner than his forty time would lead you to think.

Time for a new kicker Browns..........both guys missed today................

Lions doing okay vs. run, but carved up passing without a lot of pressure.

If it's possible for the stocks of Watson and Hopkins to rise more, that one drive (their only drive?) might do it.

3 minutes ago, Mt. Man said:

Lions doing okay vs. run, but carved up passing without a lot of pressure.

If it's possible for the stocks of Watson and Hopkins to rise more, that one drive (their only drive?) might do it.

So far the Lions are the worst team in NFL preseason 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dez said:

Time for a new kicker Browns..........both guys missed today................

Didn't they draft a guy out of college whose long was a 43? What were they thinking?

Edited by Encumbrance

FWIW, Kerryon is looking pretty good.

He's just got a guy who's been in camp like 5 days as the QB, since Stafford sat. No Marvin either, and with John Johnson out there, Golladay could play the whole game and I might not know it.

Just now, Mt. Man said:

FWIW, Kerryon is looking pretty good.

He's just got a guy who's been in camp like 5 days as the QB, since Stafford sat. No Marvin either, and with John Johnson out there, Golladay could play the whole game and I might not know it.

Kenny doesn't separate as well when he's the first option.

Moncrief (uh oh) fumbles it right back to KC.

Posted (edited)

Mahomes 2-5 for 11 yards. 

Murray 3-8 for 12 yards

Obviously they both suck. 

Edited by Milkman
  • Laughing 1

Chad Henne is still the man

• Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Mahomes 2-5 for 11 yards. 

Murray 3-8 for 12 yards

Obviously they both suck. 

Maybe there will be a big bidding war for Josh Johnson (2-5 for 17 now!)

• Like 1

Ok so to clarify...how many yards/carries does Damien Harris have?...and David Harris didn’t come out of retirement to play running back for the Patriots, correct? The ESPN app may be messed up, or Belicheck really is a genius...

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

Jakobi Myers impressing again

6 Rec 82 yards and a 2 point conversion

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Jakobi Myers impressing again

Stidham looks good, looks poised in there.

The Patriots might be even scarier better than last year.  That defense looks legit along with Gordon coming back?  Oof. 

Posted (edited)

Pollard balling

5 carries 42 yards 1 TD and 1 rec 9 yards

Edited by Penguin

Posted (edited)

What we learned from Saturday preseason tilts

Cleveland Browns 21, Indianapolis Colts 18

1. The Indianapolis Colts can sleep well knowing Jacoby Brissett can perform if Andrew Luck isn't ready for Week 1. Brissett looked stellar leading Indy's first-team offense Saturday versus most of the Browns' starting defense. The signal-caller did a marvelous job navigating a muddy pocket to find his targets. Brissett showed great accuracy, especially over the middle, going 8-of-10 for 100 yards and a touchdown for a 141.7 rating on three drives. He also added an 11-yard scramble for a first down. The QB's best two passes went to Pro Bowl tight end Eric Ebron. The first came on a fourth down when Brissett evaded a free rusher and slung a dart to Ebron for a first down for 16 yards. Brissett then threaded the needle with perfect ball-placement to Ebron in the corner of the end zone. Luck looked good warming up before the preseason tilt, providing some optimism he could be ready for the regular season. If he's not good to go, Brissett, a starting-caliber QB, showed once again he can hold down the fort.

2. The Browns offense once again flashed its depth in the preseason. Backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert looked good dicing up the Colts secondary in the first half, completing 13 of 19 passes for 151 yards and two touchdowns for a 127.3 rating. The 28-year-old displayed plus accuracy and spread the ball around well to his targets. If Gilbert continues to perform as he did Saturday, he could force his way onto the roster as the No. 3 QB. Elsewhere, Cleveland's depth at the skill positions was on display. Rashard Higgins continued to lock down the No. 3 WR role. Undrafted rookie D.J. Montgomery flashed good hands, and great sideline-catch acumen, going for three receptions for 77 yards, with a long of 32 yards that set up a short TD. Reserve running back D'Ernest Johnson also displayed dual-threat ability, rushing 10 times for 53 yards (long of 15) and catching three passes for 26 yards and a TD. Johnson flashed wiggle out of the backfield and the ability to find open grass in the passing game. The preseason is about young players stating their case for roster spots. The Browns' brigade of green guys spoke loudly on Saturday.

New England Patriots 22, Tennessee Titans 17

3. Welcome back Delanie Walker. In his first game action since suffering a gruesome season-ending ankle injury in Week 1 of the 2018 campaign, the veteran tight end displayed his importance to Marcus Mariota. After a shaky first two drives for the Titans, Walker got open over the middle for Tennessee's first first down of the game for a 15-yard snag. Later in the drive, Walker beat coverage down the seam and grabbed a pin-point pass from Mariota for an 11-yard TD. It's easy to forget how much Mariota missed his security blanket last season. The duo looked like it hadn't missed a beat, which portends positively for the Titans in 2019.

4. It wasn't a crisp performance from the Patriots who played Saturday, but several youngsters stood out. On defense, rookie Byron Cowart got off to a raging start, bulldozing veteran guard Roger Saffold for a monstrous sack of Mariota on the game's first series. Later, third-rounder Chase Winovich played with his hair on fire, destroying Tennessee's backup tackle with a bevy of rush moves. A man with an endless motor, Winovich picked up five tackles, a sack, two QB hits, two tackle for loss, forced a hold, and added a bevy of other pressures. In the secondary, second-rounder JoeJuan Williams was stellar in coverage early.

On offense, left tackle Isaiah Wynn, who missed all of last season, played three series and looked solid. The LT anchored well in pass pro. He can improve in run blocking, but for his first appearance, it was positive. Receiver Jacobi Meyers continued to eat up corners off the line of scrimmage (6/82). Rookie running back Damien Harris got the bulk of the workload in the backfield and responded well in both the run and pass game, earning 14 rushes for 80 yards and four catches for 28 yards. Harris displayed great vision on a 20-yard scamper, toughness to power through arm tackles, and good route running to find free space. Backup QB Jason Stidham also continued his stalwart preseason, completing 74 percent of his passes for 193 yards and a beautiful arching back-shoulder TD.

1. The Indianapolis Colts can sleep well knowing Jacoby Brissett can perform if Andrew Luck isn't ready for Week 1. Brissett looked stellar leading Indy's first-team offense Saturday versus most of the Browns' starting defense. The signal-caller did a marvelous job navigating a muddy pocket to find his targets. Brissett showed great accuracy, especially over the middle, going 8-of-10 for 100 yards and a touchdown for a 141.7 rating on three drives. He also added an 11-yard scramble for a first down. The QB's best two passes went to Pro Bowl tight end Eric Ebron. The first came on a fourth down when Brissett evaded a free rusher and slung a dart to Ebron for a first down for 16 yards. Brissett then threaded the needle with perfect ball-placement to Ebron in the corner of the end zone. Luck looked good warming up before the preseason tilt, providing some optimism he could be ready for the regular season. If he's not good to go, Brissett, a starting-caliber QB, showed once again he can hold down the fort.

2. The Browns offense once again flashed its depth in the preseason. Backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert looked good dicing up the Colts secondary in the first half, completing 13 of 19 passes for 151 yards and two touchdowns for a 127.3 rating. The 28-year-old displayed plus accuracy and spread the ball around well to his targets. If Gilbert continues to perform as he did Saturday, he could force his way onto the roster as the No. 3 QB. Elsewhere, Cleveland's depth at the skill positions was on display. Rashard Higgins continued to lock down the No. 3 WR role. Undrafted rookie D.J. Montgomery flashed good hands, and great sideline-catch acumen, going for three receptions for 77 yards, with a long of 32 yards that set up a short TD. Reserve running back D'Ernest Johnson also displayed dual-threat ability, rushing 10 times for 53 yards (long of 15) and catching three passes for 26 yards and a TD. Johnson flashed wiggle out of the backfield and the ability to find open grass in the passing game. The preseason is about young players stating their case for roster spots. The Browns' brigade of green guys spoke loudly on Saturday.

New England Patriots 22, Tennessee Titans 17

3. Welcome back Delanie Walker. In his first game action since suffering a gruesome season-ending ankle injury in Week 1 of the 2018 campaign, the veteran tight end displayed his importance to Marcus Mariota. After a shaky first two drives for the Titans, Walker got open over the middle for Tennessee's first first down of the game for a 15-yard snag. Later in the drive, Walker beat coverage down the seam and grabbed a pin-point pass from Mariota for an 11-yard TD. It's easy to forget how much Mariota missed his security blanket last season. The duo looked like it hadn't missed a beat, which portends positively for the Titans in 2019.

4. It wasn't a crisp performance from the Patriots who played Saturday, but several youngsters stood out. On defense, rookie Byron Cowart got off to a raging start, bulldozing veteran guard Roger Saffold for a monstrous sack of Mariota on the game's first series. Later, third-rounder Chase Winovich played with his hair on fire, destroying Tennessee's backup tackle with a bevy of rush moves. A man with an endless motor, Winovich picked up five tackles, a sack, two QB hits, two tackle for loss, forced a hold, and added a bevy of other pressures. In the secondary, second-rounder JoeJuan Williams was stellar in coverage early.

On offense, left tackle Isaiah Wynn, who missed all of last season, played three series and looked solid. The LT anchored well in pass pro. He can improve in run blocking, but for his first appearance, it was positive. Receiver Jacobi Meyers continued to eat up corners off the line of scrimmage (6/82). Rookie running back Damien Harris got the bulk of the workload in the backfield and responded well in both the run and pass game, earning 14 rushes for 80 yards and four catches for 28 yards. Harris displayed great vision on a 20-yard scamper, toughness to power through arm tackles, and good route running to find free space. Backup QB Jason Stidham also continued his stalwart preseason, completing 74 percent of his passes for 193 yards and a beautiful arching back-shoulder TD.

Houston Texans 30, Detroit Lions 23

5. The Deshaun Watson-DeAndre Hopkins connection looked in midseason form. In one series, the duo connected twice, first for a 13-yard gain, then for a 4-yard TD to open the scoring. With Detroit uninterested in bringing pressure, Watson had all day to throw and picked apart the Lions. The QB struck for chunk gains, his five completions going for 13, 13, 12, 18 and 4 yards (touchdown). Watson finished 5-of-7 for 60 yards, a TD pass, and also scrambled for a 7-yard gain. It was just one series, but Watson showed how good he can be when protected. Whether the Texans can continue to do so when defenses bring the heat will be the big question in Houston this season. In that vein, first-round offensive lineman Tytus Howard left the game late in the first half to get checked by trainers and didn't return, per the Houston Chronicle.

6. In searching for positives early in the Lions' second preseason game, look at the middle of the defense. With starting linebacker Jarrad Davis sitting out, two other young LBs made plays. Second-round pick Jahlani Tavai started and looked solid in the middle, showing good instincts diagnosing plays while compiling four tackles. Fellow linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin also played with fire, bringing punch to the hole on several of his five tackles (one for loss) in just over a quarter of play. JRM also displayed his ability in space when he came off covering the slot to break up a pass. Might Detroit finally have some linebacker depth?

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

The rookie running backs all seem to be balling. This might be a good year to stock pile 3 or 4 of them. One or two are gonna hit. Maybe more.

• Like 1

Matt Ryan looked to be under pressure a bunch!

Haskins is so slow moving in the pocket. I don't have a good feeling about him in this day and age of mobile QB's.

I wish the Broncos could trade to get Chad Kelley back.

Joe Webb looks really good to me. I think he could hold down the fort if Watson went down. The Houston offensive line looked good too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

The rookie running backs all seem to be balling. This might be a good year to stock pile 3 or 4 of them. One or two are gonna hit. Maybe more.

I don't know, last week D.Henderson ran 6 times for 13 yards and had 1 catch for -5 yards.

This week he ran 6 times for 16 yards and had 6 catches for 38 yards but one went for 26.

That's 12 runs for 29 yards and 7 catches for 33 yards, or 6 for 7 yards if that one catch is removed.

What we learned from Cowboys' victory over Rams

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@Penguin did you forget you already posted that two hours ago...twice? 

Dumbazz me didn't read it before posting, it was supposed to be the Cowboys-Rams recap, here's what I intended to post...

Dallas Cowboys 14, Los Angeles Rams 10

9. Ezekiel Elliott still hasn't returned to the Cowboys. So as long as Zeke watch continues, Tony Pollard watch will carry on, as well. Though Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spoke swimmingly of the rookie runner after a modest four carries for 16 yards in preseason Week 1, Pollard actually was impressive on Saturday at the onset. Taking handoffs from Dak Prescott on the opening drive, Pollard had five carries for 42 yards, including a 14-yard run through the right side to pay dirt. Pollard looked promising under the Hawaiian sun and that's good for the Cowboys -- perhaps in more ways than just on the field.

Meanwhile, Prescott was perfect, going 5 of 5 for 64 yards in his second preseason start in as many games. While there's been plenty of noise regarding Prescott's lofty desires for a new deal, he's very quietly going about his job, showing up for practice, starting preseason games (not sure why on that one) and playing splendidly.

10. In a showdown of squads boasting marquee names, the stars certainly didn't come out for either team during a prime time outing in Hawaii. Aside from Dak Prescott, the big names on both teams were absent from the playing field for various reasons. With L.A. QB Jared Goff not in action, it was another chance for Blake Bortles to settle in after a ho-hum debut (3 for 8 for 50 yards and a 59.4 rating) with the Rams the week prior. Bortles was solid to the tune of a 7-for-11 night for 62 yards with a 7-yard TD toss and a 108.9 QB rating in the neighborhood of double his previous outing. At one point in the game, Rams coach Sean McVay even checked in to do a little live play-by-play, so just what one can gauge from the reigning NFC champs is arduous. But having a seasoned backup is often an important piece, particularly for a high-octane offense and Bortles showed progress. After Bortles' exit, Brandon Allen took the reins and went 14-of-21 for 115 yards with a pick. It wasn't stellar, but it was solid. With Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown absent from play, as well, Darrell Henderson got some more experience, with the rookie running back showing his skills out of the backfield with six catches.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

If your team has hot garbage at back-up QB you might want to give Pittsburgh a call.  They are sitting on three reserve QBs who have played pretty damn well and its a carryover from the practices. Have never seen such a a thing in all my decades as a Steeler fan.

💨🏈🏔️ 🤗

• Like 1

Not really a hot take or anything but Watson looked smooth last night.  He is going to have a big year.  He probably is going a touch too high in redraft for my tastes but he looks legit.

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Not really a hot take or anything but Watson looked smooth last night.  He is going to have a big year.  He probably is going a touch too high in redraft for my tastes but he looks legit.

Way behind this yr

Besides Nuk who does he have ?

4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Way behind this yr

Besides Nuk who does he have ?

Apologies but I have no idea what this post means

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

Apologies but I have no idea what this post means

Sorry

I’m way behind this yr in my draft prep.  I believe Fullers hurt?

I like Watson but does he have the weapons to have a big yr?

5 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Sorry

I’m way behind this yr in my draft prep.  I believe Fullers hurt?

I like Watson but does he have the weapons to have a big yr?

Coutee and Duke should add to the arsenal. Miller has non-slouch moments.

• Like 1