What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Movie Cameo (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Last night, my buddy and I were talking and the subject of movie cameos came up.  We started talking about what the best on of all time was.  And I get this is completely subjective, and anytime these lists are asked, people love to throw out the most random examples.  That's cool, you can throw out as many as you want, but the true spirit of this thread is "Which cameo is the best?"

Our criteria kind of was loose fitting.  At first we said that it had to be an appearance where the actor(s) weren't credited in the final credits.  But then we said, they could be in the credits, but it had to have been a surprise.  We didn't settle on a "Best" one, because we had some really good ones and it was honestly too tough to call.  

Our top ones were Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder and Bill Murray in Zombieland.  Neil Patrick Harris in ...White Castle, was also good but he wasn't that big a name at the time of the movie.  In fact, that movie actually probably brought him back into the limelight.

The Anchorman fight scene was brought up, too.  

What say the FFA?

Reading through this list ... cameos had more impact pre-Internet when the guts of movies weren't taken apart and written about before cinematic release. Marvel has snuck a very few in (not the anticipated Stan Lee ones) with careful marketing and pre-screenings.

Texas State vs. Texas State Penintentiary, Necessary Roughness

In order of appearance:

Tony Dorsett
Randy White
Ed "Too Tall" Jones
**** Butkus
Herschel Walker
Roger Craig
Ben Davidson
Jim Kelly

I think the clip is edited down a bit, because Evander Holyfield, Earl Campbell, and Jerry Rice were also in that "step off the bus" bit in the original film.

One of the best stoopit script ideas i ever had was for a movie called Cameo, which would have been about two film makers who have a contract but no script so attempt to get the greatest possible number of intentional & unintentional cameos around Hollywood into it they can. The hook woulda been that virtually every background actor be an actual cameo (some disguised, some not) and for the actual producers to offer a national contest for the most cameos spotted, so people would have to watch it several times in the opening week to have a chance to win. This was just before the internet became a thing - it would of course ruin the concept now.

Matt Damon - Eurotrip.  "Don't tell Scotty!"
Completely forgot about that. Loved BillMurray in Zombieland and Cruise in Tropic Thunder. Not sure about Neil Patrick Harris in Harold & Kumar, might have been more of a main actor than a cameo. Cruise was borderline as well but he was definitely way under billed so I think it’s OK. 

Harvey Keitel at the end of "Get Shorty".

Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis at the end of "The Player".

Martin Sheen in "Hot Shots Part Deux". ("I loved you in 'Wall Street'!" :lol:  )

John Hurt in "Spaceballs". ("Oh no, not again!" :lol:  )

I would vote for the newscaster cameos during the Anchorman brawls, but they kind of went over the top on that one.

The first one i thought of:       "Mortimer.............We're BACK!!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GLVc4f02k

The reason i think this is the best cameo is the total unexpected connection between 2 very successful comedy movies .......you never see it coming.
Trading Places (1983) 
Coming to America (1988)

.......classic example of a cinematic inside joke but it's executed very well. Eddie Murphy's Prince Akeem is posing as a commoner and gives a large sum of money to two homeless men. They turn out to be Randolph and Mortimer Duke from the earlier John Landis-Eddie Murphy comedy Trading Places. The irony is that Murphy's character was responsible for putting them on the streets in the first place. This is a dual cameo that winks at the audience without being forced or out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Cera in This is the End is legendary. The cameo usually works where the actor gets to play an exaggerated version of their stereotypical role because it’s such a small dose or where they play the total opposite of their usual persona. Cera absolutely nailed the latter. It’s not a particularly good movie but Cera’s scenes are fantastic.

The first one i thought of:       "Mortimer.............We're BACK!!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GLVc4f02k

The reason i think this is the best cameo is the total unexpected connection between 2 very successful comedy movies .......you never see it coming.
Trading Places (1983) 
Coming to America (1988)

.......classic example of a cinematic inside joke but it's executed very well. Eddie Murphy's Prince Akeem is posing as a commoner and gives a large sum of money to two homeless men. They turn out to be Randolph and Mortimer Duke from the earlier John Landis-Eddie Murphy comedy Trading Places. The irony is that Murphy's character was responsible for putting them on the streets in the first place. This is a dual cameo that winks at the audience without being forced or out of place.
First one that came to mind for me...

In the days before the internet spoiled things, Sean Connery showing up at the very end of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves as the King was very cool and elicited a noticeable reaction from the movie theater crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread