What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One and done movies (1 Viewer)

Sullie

Footballguy
We've got a thread on movies you would watch over and over again and there's probably a thread about movies you can't stand but what about one and done movies?  You're glad you watched it, it made an impression (good or bad) but It's a movie you may have really enjoyed or kind of enjoyed or not enjoyed some specific part but you saw it, something about that movie struck you and you would prefer to never watch it again but you would recommend it.   Again, you didn't HATE it and it wasn't an AWFUL movie (maybe there was one part that ruined it for you) but you watched it, you're glad you watched it but you don't want to watch it again.  I have two :

1.) The Pledge -  it's a solid movie, it's creative but it's gut wrenching/emotional and I don't care to watch it again.  

2.) Deliverance -  big shock I know, I know and I'm sure you know where I'm going with this but I watched that movie when I was 14 or 15 and I was so horrified, I think I'm scarred for life! I've never felt comfortable watching that movie again, every time I look at Ned Beatty I feel bad for him (even though I know it's a movie, I'm still horrified for him) I've never been to the back hills of anywhere hiking and thanks to this movie, I never will. . . well that and the fear of lyme disease kinda kill the whole outdoor, hiking in the deep woods thing for me.

And to clarify we're talking about full movies here not some internet meme or whatever.

Wow this one is tough.  There a lot of movies I really liked but would not care to watch again.  I mean, not like I would avoid them, but it's very likely I would not re-watch for one reason or another.  

Probably the slow type movies, or movies with big twists and whatnot.  Can't think of any off the top of my head, will have to revisit.  

Just on TCM last nite, i decided for the umpteenth time against watching one of the 10 movies EVERYBODY should see once - Grapes of Wrath. It breaks my heart just as much as it made my heart............AND ethics, AND outlook on our great & awful nation, when i was young.

I think there are a lot of movies like this - either they are historically important or high art or something but just aren’t that enjoyable. So I’m glad I saw them but not much interest in seeing again  

Two examples for me -

1) Citizen Kane

2) Roma

First thing that came to mind was Requiem for a Dream. 
Easily my top choice. Scariest movie I’ve ever seen.

I think there are a lot of movies like this - either they are historically important or high art or something but just aren’t that enjoyable. So I’m glad I saw them but not much interest in seeing again  

Two examples for me -

1) Citizen Kane

2) Roma
I think Kane is infinitely better on repeated viewings. 

I can agree with the last few, 6th sense, Blair Witch, Schindlers list, Machinist.  

Shutter Island and Inception.  Yay Leo.

The Creed movies.  I enjoyed them, but unlike the ROcky movies I don't care to see them again.  

While I would not call Schindler’s List infinitely rewatchable, I don’t view it as one and done.  I pop in the blu ray every few years. The Holocaust is certainly a depressing subject, but its execution is brilliant between the cinematography, the music, and the performances.

I’m struggling to think of what would fit the criteria for me.  Even movies with twist endings, if they are good, interest me for a re-watch to see how they pulled it off (e.g., The Usual Suspects). 

I remember Requiem for a Dream being great but tough to watch at times, but now that it has been about 20 years since I watched it, I feel like I could go for a re-watch.

Schindler's List
This. 

We were at a work dinner and the topic was movies that you always stop and watch when you are scrolling channels late at night.  Some pompous douchebags were saying Schindlers List and we had a spirited conversation about why they were ####### not telling the truth. 

Just on TCM last nite, i decided for the umpteenth time against watching one of the 10 movies EVERYBODY should see once - Grapes of Wrath. It breaks my heart just as much as it made my heart............AND ethics, AND outlook on our great & awful nation, when i was young.
I've never seen it.  You're referring to the 1940 version, not a remake, right? 

I was supposed to read it in high school but procrastinated and ended up just buying the Cliff Notes.  I don't have much recollection of the plot.  It appears to be available streaming so I'll have to check it out.

Edit: Actually, it may not be available to stream.   :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:

I was supposed to read it in high school but procrastinated and ended up just buying the Cliff Notes.  I don't have much recollection of the plot.  It appears to be available streaming so I'll have to check it out.

It may be on TCM On Demand.  They leave many movies up there after they air.

Schindler's List
I was trying to think of some but drawing a blank. This is a great answer. I've considered watching it again when I've seen it on but just can't do it. Awesome movie, glad I saw it, but not sure I want to do it again. So draining of a movie. 

Leaving Las Vegas

Depressing and I want to continue to enjoy alcohol (responsibly).
It's been playing on the over the air movie channel lately and I've caught it twice.  I don't think I can resist seeing Cage become a complete wreck in the same movie that people can drop a hundred on Shue and have a nice evening.  The weird crossing of a horrible thing happening to an actor I don't like mixed with a horrible thing happening to one that I do like that is the right kind of wrong.

The Sixth Sense
Not one I would watch over and over, but seeing it a 2nd time after knowing the ending was pretty cool. So many things after the first viewing that I was like 'but what about when x happened' or 'when y happened' that seeing it again is kind of cool to see how they played with your emotions to make you assume things were happening different than they actually did.

Absolute masterpiece. As Wikkid said, it’s one of the 10 or so movies every American should see. 

I’m struggling to think of what would fit the criteria for me.  Even movies with twist endings, if they are good, interest me for a re-watch to see how they pulled it off (e.g., The Usual Suspects). 

Momento fits this for me.   Enjoyed the movie but rewatching it knowing the ending would be a completely different experience.
For night Usual Suspects and Memento I think they are cool to watch again. Obviously the mystery is gone but its fun to see the clues that were laid out and it changes the entire context of the film.

It may be on TCM On Demand.  They leave many movies up there after they air.
this. and do try, y'all - this soliliquy (even better in context if you dont want it spoilered) is the equal in composition & performance of anything Shakespeare & Olivier could offer and the camp scenes have the value of an entire scholastic social studies career & become more compelling by the day.

Thinking on it a bit more, I think "A Quiet Place" would fit the bill for me.  I saw it in the theatre, and, while I still think it would be a good movie at home, I don't think it would be the same.  Kind of prefer the experience of watching it in an eerily quiet theatre being my lasting memory of it.

I think Kane is infinitely better on repeated viewings. 
Agree.

When watched as a pure narrative, I find it monotonous. When you take the time to analyze the mise-en-scene, cinematography, and audio track, it's captivating.

Cant think of a single movie that I have liked and thought was a good movie that I wouldn't watch again.  I usually make it a point to watch movies multiple times.  

Seen requiem about 10x.  :scared:

Cant think of a single movie that I have liked and thought was a good movie that I wouldn't watch again.  I usually make it a point to watch movies multiple times.  

Seen requiem about 10x.  :scared:
same here - about 5 times for me. One of my favorite movie endings ever*

* along with The Mist

I took a survey of film class back in college and we watched several of the classics through early evolution of film.  I enjoyed seeing many of them, but haven't sought to watch any of them again... The Gold Rush, The Birth of a Nation, Duck Soup, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Psycho are some of the examples. 

I like watching the "twist" movies again to see if the hold up.  Fun to see if there were clues, or if they just pulled something out if their butt at the end to make the twist.  
True.  And especially fun to watch with someone who has never seen it to watch their reaction at the reveal.   

Momento fits this for me.   Enjoyed the movie but rewatching it knowing the ending would be a completely different experience.
Have you tried watching it backwards (which would be forward I guess).  Haven’t done that since not long after it was out but it was pretty cool to do.  

Ah Diorama-rama. My favorite school event, next to hearing test Thursday

Users who are viewing this thread