Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bucky86

ACTIVE SHOOTER- EL PASO TEXAS

9 hours ago, [icon] said:

Absolutely. 

And the 160 victims of those horrible events make up about 0.2% of the nearly 100,000 gun homicides that have occurred since Sandy Hook. 

It's not just the 160 people who are victims, but all the people at the mall, church, school, etc. that will be traumatized for life.  And all the family and friends of those victims. And every single person who walks into a mall, church, school, etc today, tomorrow and every other day who will walk around with some low level anxiety that there might be some nutcase who pulls out an assault rifle who starts another mass shooting.

12 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Mayor of Dayton reporting that shooter was neutralized in under a minute.  Yet he was still able to kill 9 and 26 were injured.  Jesus.

That's amazing that they were able to do that in a under a minute. How is that even possible?

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Serious question...What have you guys done to help make a difference? 

Not asking to be confrontational at all, just curious about what’s being done by FBGs. Always open to good ideas. 

I don't own a gun.

:shrug:

Edited by comfortably numb
  • Like 3

I'm not judging those who do but i figure not owning a gun eliminates the possibility of my kid accidentally killing himself or someone else. 

Me accidentally killing someone

My wife getting so angry she kills me

A neighbor knows i have a gun(s) comes over and steals them and does some crap

Most of the bad guys with guns were probably "good" guys at 1 point.

It's not much but thats my contribution. 

• Like 2

Not asking to be confrontational at all, just curious about what’s being done by FBGs. Always open to good ideas. 

Vote for people who are in favor of more gun control and increased funding for mental health. What about you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Capella said:

You ask this in every one of these threads dude. I guarantee you somebody could go and compile a dozen of these same posts by you. Find a new shtick. 

So we want to complain about the shootings, but we don’t want to talk about what we can or have done to stop them? 

Got it. That makes a lot of sense. Not sure what I was thinking. Carry on with the complaining. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Christo said:

Vote for people who are in favor of more gun control and increased funding for mental health. What about you?

I’ve done the same... but I’ve also repeatedly sent letters to representatives, congressmen and other local leaders encouraging action with an outline of my position and where I think we can improve.  

As Capella pointed out, I’ve pointed that out many times in the past, and encouraged other FBGs to do so. That’s another thing I do, push others to get off their asses and actually DO something. 

I attempted to start a dialog to discuss other ways folks have taken action but Capella apparently doesn't want to discuss ways to actually try and help stop the problem... so I guess this is just a pearl clutching thread. If anyone has any good ideas on steps we can take, my inbox is open. Thanks. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So we want to complain about the shootings, but we don’t want to talk about what we can or have done to stop them? 

Got it. That makes a lot of sense. Not sure what I was thinking. Carry on with the complaining. 

He's saying we have discussed it. Which we have.

Just woke up and didn't realize we had another shooting last night.   WoW!   Two mass shootings in under 24 hours.   

2 minutes ago, Christo said:

He's saying we have discussed it. Which we have.

So that’s it then? We’ve complained a lot before too.

I personally think stifling discussion on action we can take or have taken to help stop this from happening is insane. 

I also think simply “voting” is enough, either, but that’s just me. It’s a start but it’s the minimum possible amount of effort, IMO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Just woke up and didn't realize we had another shooting last night.   WoW!   Two mass shootings in under 24 hours.   

Not making the national news was a single "drive-by" shooting in Chicago where seven were injured. Oh, and another 16 were shot in other random shootings across the city.

Edited by Christo
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

I personally think stifling discussion on action we can take or have taken to help stop this from happening is insane. 

I also think simply “voting” is enough, either, but that’s just me. It’s a start but it’s the minimum possible amount of effort, IMO. 

Do you think you’ve stifled discussion in the past when you come in to the thread and waited for someone to suggest strict gun laws and you jump on them?  Because I do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Perhaps you should start the official "what can you do to prevent this" thread.

5 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Yep. ####ty morning. This moron had body armor. 

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Do you think you’ve stifled discussion in the past when you come in to the thread and waited for someone to suggest strict gun laws and you jump on them?  Because I do.

This is a discussion forum. We are here to discuss topics. A core part of discussion is providing counterpoints to issues you see.

If my disagreeing with someone and providing evidence to support my stance is “jumping on them” by someone, I apologize but Also encourage them to grow some bark. Sometimes people disagree with you in the real world. 

5 minutes ago, Christo said:

Not making the national news was a single "drive-by" shooting in Chicago where seven were injured.

There are about 50 of those for every one of these sprees, but you don’t hear about them as much because they’re generally in poor urban neighborhoods. Out of sight out of mind. History has shown FBG’s demographic generally doesn’t get upset until it’s closer to home. It’s unfortunate. 

In any event, I’m off to send a few more emails and go for a run. This news this morning is depressing. 

An article i read today said the Dayton shooting was the 22nd mass shooting so far this year. Still a very high number but not the 250 cited above. 

1 minute ago, shadyridr said:

An article i read today said the Dayton shooting was the 22nd mass shooting so far this year. Still a very high number but not the 250 cited above. 

I think it depends on your definition of mass shooting - don’t remember where I read it but I think the cutoff was something like 3 or 4 victims maybe.  That’s even a sad state of affairs when we as a society have to debate what constitutes a mass shooting.  

Just now, AAABatteries said:

I think it depends on your definition of mass shooting - don’t remember where I read it but I think the cutoff was something like 3 or 4 victims maybe.  That’s even a sad state of affairs when we as a society have to debate what constitutes a mass shooting.  

I figured it was something like that. 

5 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

The 250 have criteria where at least 4 people were shot....not necessarily dead.

So a shooting at a bbq on MLK Blvd where jerome died and his 4 cousins were shot but not dead would make the list.

Kinda makes the list a bit inflated to what we white people consider a mass shooting.

I don’t own a gun. How’s that? 

1 hour ago, Nipsey said:

Enough. Is. Enough.

Unfortunately it's not though.  Because nobody cares anymore, and it'll never be enough to overpower Middle Murica's lust for guns.  20 innocents dead?  Hey, can someone pass the nachos.

30 minutes ago, [icon] said:

You seem to be under the impression that there is another reason for this happening other than the republicans in the senate blocking common sense gun laws. I’m not a senator, sorry. I’ve called mine (Marco Rubio). You’ll be shocked to learn he has no plans to do anything, but he sends along his ####ING USELESS thoughts and prayers.

• Like 4

There is no legit reason for those guns being legal. Other than $, NRA influence,  and 'merica

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nipsey said:

Enough. Is. Enough.

It will never end as people will always find a way.   The people who do these things will always find a method to kill.  I was eating in an outdoor area next to a street yesterday after hearing about this story.  It was a nice day and there had to 125-150 people eating and drinking all in the same sidewalk area.  All of a sudden my mind thought..what if some idiot jumps the curb in his pickup and runs us all over.  Would cause mass deaths and injuries.

14 hours ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Gun control.

Luckily crazy people and criminals will turn in their guns...  I don't have an answer, I just know only law abiding people will turn in their guns.  How about we look at the medicine these guys are on?  How many times did they fall thru the system?  How many people will wake up today and think "hmmm, I always thought he had issues, but it wasn't my concern"

Just now, Otis said:

Unfortunately it's not though.  Because nobody cares anymore, and it'll never be enough to overpower Middle Murica's lust for guns.  20 innocents dead?  Hey, can someone pass the nachos.

Within 6 years we'll fix this. 5-7 more generations until we dump religion.

9 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I figured it was something like that. 

From the wiki where the 250 came from...

Stanford University MSA Data Project: 3+ shot in one incident, excluding the perpetrator(s), at one location, at roughly the same time, excluding organized crime, as well as gang-related and drug-related shootings.

1 minute ago, kliph said:

Luckily crazy people and criminals will turn in their guns...  I don't have an answer, I just know only law abiding people will turn in their guns.  How about we look at the medicine these guys are on?  How many times did they fall thru the system?  How many people will wake up today and think "hmmm, I always thought he had issues, but it wasn't my concern"

Nobody is saying criminals will turn in their guns. That is insane logic. You have to start somewhere. You start by making it harder to obtain these weapons. Jesus Christ. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

“Welp there’s no chance of criminals turning in their guns so why legislate?” — a thought many people actually have 

Let's make some ~big changes at the federal level, give it, say, 50 years or so and see if they worked.

Lots of folks laughed at the idea you could stop people from smoking once, too.

But people kill people with knives  - Some Maga guy today, probably.

13 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

It will never end as people will always find a way.   The people who do these things will always find a method to kill.  I was eating in an outdoor area next to a street yesterday after hearing about this story.  It was a nice day and there had to 125-150 people eating and drinking all in the same sidewalk area.  All of a sudden my mind thought..what if some idiot jumps the curb in his pickup and runs us all over.  Would cause mass deaths and injuries.

Another tired argument/talking point. Why doesn’t this happen 200 times a year already? Seems easy enough. How about we try to get a handle on the ridiculous number of guns in this country and see if your fairy tale actually comes true?  Let’s also use some common sense and make it a little harder for anyone who wants to obtain a gun (or 15 or however many were used to spell out the President’s last name). 

37 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Secret association that assinates NRA members? Cut off the massive amount of money that flows to and influences congress to consistently vote down anything that might actually have an effect in reducing gun violence is likely the only real way to effectively stop this insanity. Unfortunatley, writing letters accomplishes nothing, as much as that truly saddens me.

Another white nationalist terror attack. 

Wonder why it’s on the rise. Weird. 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Capella said:

“Welp there’s no chance of criminals turning in their guns so why legislate?” — a thought many people actually have 

Motivated/crazy people will still find ways to kill, so why legislate against guns?

- follow up thought

7 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Another tired argument/talking point. Why doesn’t this happen 200 times a year already? Seems easy enough. How about we try to get a handle on the ridiculous number of guns in this country and see if your fairy tale actually comes true?  Let’s also use some common sense and make it a little harder for anyone who wants to obtain a gun (or 15 or however many were used to spell out the President’s last name). 

I don`t even own a gun dude..so I would be fine with nobody else owning one.  Also that "fairy tale" just happened yesterday in Wisconsin and will happen again.

Edited by Summer Wheat

22 minutes ago, Capella said:

Some of the most bizarre logic. Guys this won’t fix it, someone will find another way to kill, so let’s not bother addressing THIS way they kill. 

The logic in these discussions makes my head hurt. 

• Like 2

Wonder if the Dayton shooter was in the crowd on Thursday night.

Wonder if the El Paso shooter was in the crowd on the night of February 11th.

35 minutes ago, kliph said:

Yeah, I know.  It's the same response.  It's the video games.  It's the lack of support for mental health.  It's the medication that people are on.

We're passed the point in this country where we can reasonably believe that we'll get all of these guns are off the streets.  We've lost that option.  But, law abiding citizens turning in their guns will stop their son from taking their gun out of the cabinet and committing a mass shooting.  Ceasing sales of semi-automatic rifles will stop someone with no history of mental illness from walking into a gun shop to purchase a weapon for a mass shooting.  And those are both much better options than what the hell is going on now.

Edited by ClownCausedChaos2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

I don`t even own a gun dude..so I would be fine with nobody else owning one.  Also that "fairy tale" just happened yesterday in Wisconsin and will happen again.

It happened in NYC a few years ago. Terrible business. But they didn't wrong their hands and say "well, people are going to find a  kill- oh well"... The city has affected change with blocking vehicular access to that particular path and many other pedestrian areas around the city. They did something. We're way past the point of continuing to do nothing in relation to guns.

12 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

I’m glad that you don’t own guns. My point still stands. Your post came across as the same excuse making/deflection that we always see from the pro 2A crowd after these attacks occur. The discussion needs to be about the weapons being used, not about cars or knives or pipe bombs. I apologize for coming across like a ####. It’s been a lousy 24 hours. 

21 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Secret association that assinates NRA members? Cut off the massive amount of money that flows to and influences congress to consistently vote down anything that might actually have an effect in reducing gun violence is likely the only real way to effectively stop this insanity. Unfortunatley, writing letters accomplishes nothing, as much as that truly saddens me.

Not cool.