What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Your Morning Music? (1 Viewer)

I turn the TV on when I get up, just in case we blew ourselves up overnight then mute it when I reckon I may as well get dressed.. 

This is weird, but two songs have always gone through my head in the morning the last 40 years or so. As far as I know, they have no connection to each other or to anything happening in my life. They aren't my favorite songs, though I like both. I dunno........

My Little Town - Simon & Garfunkel

Now That We Found Love - Third World

Monday - Vitamin String Quartet

Tuesday - Billy Joel

Wednesday - Pearl Jam

Thursday - Metallica

Friday - they don't make music heavy enough 

Nothing morning specific for me- depends what I’m doing and what my mood is. I’m one of those strange people who has 2 modes: awake or asleep. The moment I wake up I am totally awake and full of energy. 

Same as ilov80s. I have no music that starts my every morning. It's always something different. For example, I went back to bed after typing in the Beatles thread, and have now awoken to LCD Soundsystem's "Dance Yrself Clean."  

i've been sleeping to ocean waves and sometimes leave it going while making coffee. otherwise, always instrumentals, human voices are annoying, classical guitar or any jazz... django is perfect. 

Ugh. None, please. Music in the morning is terrible. I don't know how you morning music people do it. It's torture.
As I shake my head no while sitting in silence this morning...

I have forgotten. Marvin Gaye is on the turntable. I guess What's Going On is going on.
I am a music all day kind of guy... but have never woken up wanting to listen to it right away. usually jump in after I've started my day (post shower, breakfast, etc). as such, I don't typically have to ease into it with lighter sounds and just jump right into whatever I'm in the mood for. 

Dan Patrick Show
DP on the way to work, except for days like today when they have an annoying fill-in (Jason Smith today).

Then I fire up Pandora and listen to trance-style electronic music all day.  It works good for background music while I work

Fridays, though, I like to listen to reggae to set the mood for the weekend.

DP on the way to work, except for days like today when they have an annoying fill-in (Jason Smith today).

Then I fire up Pandora and listen to trance-style electronic music all day.  It works good for background music while I work

“Them Belly Full” just played on my mix.

I actually stopped for moment to enjoy how good that song is.

I am a music all day kind of guy... but have never woken up wanting to listen to it right away. usually jump in after I've started my day (post shower, breakfast, etc). as such, I don't typically have to ease into it with lighter sounds and just jump right into whatever I'm in the mood for. 
I find as I get older that this is what I do. I wake up, compose myself, and then jump into whatever, but this morning was different. I took a sleeping pill last night, read this thread, remembered music, and looked at the turntable. Weird, diosrienting morning.  

As far as sports talk goes, DP is pretty decent. And the trance/reggae mix sounds like a plan.

I find as I get older that this is what I do. I wake up, compose myself, and then jump into whatever, but this morning was different. I took a sleeping pill last night, read this thread, remembered music, and looked at the turntable. Weird, diosrienting morning.  
sorry.

when i came up here to care for my peeps, i had been toying w a longterm project (a musical) and i intentionally did the 1st 3 yrs here offline (except a weekly library trip to answer emails/set lineups) in order to reduce distractions. i have had some kind of tune in my head (usually a variant of the last thing i heard) for as long as i remember, but i noticed that if i was mid-composition on a number, i would wake up w a variety of offshoots in my melodyhead. i started to train myself to increase morning yield (brain science says that REM sleep is how we file the previous day & dreams are re-shuffles of the edits) and it came that i could recognized thought re-shuffles as well as tune re-shuffles.

by the time i get to my desk, i've already prepped the peeps for their day and am in full consciousness, but i dont listen to music until i am sure that my head is empty of my nightwork. music, unless it's generated by my dreamhead, stops me from connecting w my sub/pre-conscious mind like a guillotine. there's probably some commonality there...

i have had some kind of tune in my head (usually a variant of the last thing i heard) for as long as i remember, but i noticed that if i was mid-composition on a number, i would wake up w a variety of offshoots in my melodyhead. i started to train myself to increase morning yield (brain science says that REM sleep is how we file the previous day & dreams are re-shuffles of the edits) and it came that i could recognized thought re-shuffles as well as tune re-shuffles.
Wow. That's interesting. My dreams are very literal and very easy to trace back to life, unlike most people's, I've found. 

I, too, dream music. People laughed in the writing music thread, but I do, so I can relate to these re-shuffles you speak of.  Maybe that's where that's coming from.  

Wow. That's interesting. My dreams are very literal and very easy to trace back to life, unlike most people's, I've found. 

I, too, dream music. People laughed in the writing music thread, but I do, so I can relate to these re-shuffles you speak of.  Maybe that's where that's coming from.  
there's a writing music thread?

there's a writing music thread?
Uh, now I'm not so sure. There was a thread relevant to posting that I dream music composition, and it was in response to the OP's question. It might have been in the classical thread, but I think it was different than that. But your question now gives me pause. Memory is faulty, and perhaps mine is not so perfect here...

I think it would have piqued your interest if there was. Whatever the thread, I don't think it got more than two pages or so.   

Interesting- I can’t ever recall a dream with music in it and I love music. Ofcourse i myself am not musical so perhaps that is why. 

Uh, now I'm not so sure. There was a thread relevant to posting that I dream music composition, and it was in response to the OP's question. It might have been in the classical thread, but I think it was different than that. But your question now gives me pause. Memory is faulty, and perhaps mine is not so perfect here...

I think it would have piqued your interest if there was. Whatever the thread, I don't think it got more than two pages or so.   
@bigbottom probably would have been a part if it was. if he responds to being cited, we'll know

Don’t recall a music writing thread. Was it in the recent recurring dream thread?
It could certainly have been. My bad. I know there was a relevant thread, I'm just not sure whether I should have re-shuffled and filed it under "music, "dreams," or "recurrence." 

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as sports talk goes, DP is pretty decent. And the trance/reggae mix sounds like a plan.
I tried listening to sports talk radio in the morning but I found myself not paying attention at all.  Trance works perfectly in the background Monday-Thursday 9-4ish.  Friday is reggae 9-3ish.  :)  

I've seen you mention tinnitus. I use the ocean (rivers, rainstorms, etc; but mostly the ocean) to mask the tinnitus. Has helped me sleep better. So when I stop the waves, I naturally pick something easy and soothing. Then my headbanging days at home alone are over.

I get up and hit the gym at 5 am on workdays so I’m sure I’ve got music going earlier and earlier in my day than most. It’s almost always something to pump me up for the gym in the rock or hip hop genres. 

wikkidpissah said:
In the Beatles thread, @DocHolliday just said:

I start most mornings with the Beatles.   It is usually:  "Alexa, play the Beatles."    It always sounds great.   
With me, as soon as hit my desk, it's one of the discs from my Django Reinhart box set, as it has been for years.

When does your music day start and do you have a morning music?
How do you get Alexa to play your box set?

Anyways, it has been the shuke 1000+ for me every morning lately. Not bad at all.

Usually, I have nothing set for morning listening. For me, "morning" is relative anyway. I am eating "breakfast" right now and listening to Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky. Nice to know that when I die ...

Elliott Smith radio on Pandora. I've had it set there for years. Yes, really need to change it up. That being said, the curation of bands work really well when you're just grappling with consciousness. 

Elliott Smith radio on Pandora. I've had it set there for years. Yes, really need to change it up. That being said, the curation of bands work really well when you're just grappling with consciousness. 
Nice post. Good station. Nice explanation.

/no sarcasm, just interesting

I have a 40 minute commute to and from work.  I usually listen to Frank Zappa on the way in through the week.  Been listening to Bob Dylan a lot on the way back lately.  I usually listen to jazz Saturday and Sunday mornings.  If I’m working out, I usually shuffle a playlist (on Spotify) from someone a little more upbeat like Clutch, The Black Keys, Primus (as examples).  Works great for an hour or running, walking, hiking etc..  

They played two of his songs in a row today on my station: Ballad of Big Nothing and Independence Day. The guy has a sound,

I wiki'd him to see if he died on this date or something. Was reading about his death. That is some shady ####, stabbed himself in the chest with a knife while his GF was in the bathtub. Hmmm.

They played two of his songs in a row today on my station: Ballad of Big Nothing and Independence Day. The guy has a sound,

I wiki'd him to see if he died on this date or something. Was reading about his death. That is some shady ####, stabbed himself in the chest with a knife while his GF was in the bathtub. Hmmm.
Yeah, there's a lot of conspiracy talk regarding her being the culprit, but I think people are just looking for something that's not there. The dude was a musical genius, and also deeply disturbed. I'd recommend his whole catalog if you liked what you heard. 

On the drive to work, classical.

I would also enjoy other types but all the other stations I’m interested in have morning zoo bull#### going. Play music and shut the #### up please.

I should probably change it up with some Ween. The mood could be lightened up a bit, all things considered.
I can see that. If you're feeling in any way depressed, Smith, or the thought of him, can send you down a tunnel of unfortunate thoughts (not even drastically bad, just existential or wistful at times). I used to smoke and listen to his S/T album back in the early aughts a lot. I think I would study for the GREs with him in the background. 

And P.O.D., too, but I think that questionable taste was due to light domestic liquids. Or in concert with it. But, I digress...

Last edited by a moderator:
developed a playlist that tends to reflect my mood more often than not that i would just play at different times, usually on shuffle.  threw it on one morning last week and the order that it went really hit me perfectly to get my mood more right (i'm not much of a morning person).  Just the right combination of melancholy, edginess and hope to calibrate me. So for now, this seems like it will be my go to each morning:

All I Need - Radiohead
Alone Again Or - Love
Among the Leaves - Sun Kil Moon
Carry Me Ohio - Sun Kil Moon
As Hope and Promise Fade - Chris Cornell
Fell on Black Days - Chris Cornell
Nutshell - Alice in Chains
Down in a Hole - Alice in Chains
DLZ - TV On the Radio
Use of Time - 311
In My Room - The Beach Boys
Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo
From the Morning - Nick Drake
Living on a Thin Line - The Kinks
Everybody Knows - Leonard Cohen
Magic Arrow - Timber Timbre
Fresh Blood - Eels
Buena - Morphine
To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey
I'm Not Like Everybody Else - The Kinks
Ben's My Friend - Sun Kil Moon
Pretty Pimpin - Kurt Vile
I'll Be Around - Yo La Tengo
The Thrill is Gone - BB King
My Silver Lining - First Aid Kit
Greenland - Emancipator

It could certainly have been. My bad. I know there was a relevant thread, I'm just not sure whether I should have re-shuffled and filed it under "music, "dreams," or "recurrence." 

:)
I dreamed last night that I had terrible white guy braids/dreads that hung down past my waist.

I think that counts.

I dreamed last night that I had terrible white guy braids/dreads that hung down past my waist.

I think that counts.
I had to scroll back through this to find out what the heck we're all talking about.

LBL with the bump, huh?

Sorry about your dream, Trent. (Samberg reference)

Users who are viewing this thread