What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Online Cloud Storage - Photos, Etc (1 Viewer)

skol asylum

Footballguy
So I need to set up a decent online cloud storage option to back up both old photos and files on my PC (plus other family member's PCs) as well as current photos we all take on our phones. I'm a big fan of google photos on our mobile devices. Was wondering what others use for backup and storage.

I had an external hard drive for quite a few years that backup up PC photos but it crapped out. I'm also working on a project to transfer lots of gigs of photos from an old laptop to our newer desktop. Once i have everything on the desktop i want some sort of cloud storage option to upload everything to as well as backup all our devices to on a regular basis.

I'm thinking of either subscribing to Google One or possibly Microsoft One Drive. With Microsoft they have Office 365 options. Not sure that is totally necessary as i usually am able to obtain super cheap Office suite products through work. I really would like to be able to access photos in google photos on our phones, including even old ones. I'm thinking Google One may be the way to go. 

Any thoughts? Something i'm not thinking of maybe? Thanks for any advice.

I just started looking as well, as the hard drive on my laptop started to fail this week, and I currently have it in getting it replaced and (hopefully) the contents recovered.  Always told my self I would back everything up, but never got around to it. 

I have two external drives, but now realize a cloud option in addition would be the way to go.

I currently have the 100GB of Google One, would definitely need more though.  The only thing I don't like is that it looks like options jump from 200GB for $30/yr (which probably wouldn't be enough with all the pics for me) to 2TB (which would be more than I need) at $99/yr. 

Also was looking at Backblaze.  Has some great reviews and fairly cheap (unlimited storage for about $5/mo).  The convenience of sharing photos via Google Photo may win out though.

I’ve been using Google Photo. Need to up my capacity, but I like that my iphone will back up to it automatically.

Yeah I agree on the price jump for Google. I'm wondering if on the photos side the high quality is good enough. I don't really have a ton of documents to backup.

I have Prime and i see they have Amazon Photos as part of it. I don't know. I'm just used to google photos. I think i might go the Google One route. 

I have Prime and i see they have Amazon Photos as part of it. I don't know. I'm just used to google photos. I think i might go the Google One route. 
Have Prime and using Amazon Photos for everything -- storage and viewing. I think their app could use a few more features but overall it's completely intuitive and all I've needed. Free unlimited storage for all photos, easy to find based on date taken or person in the photo. If you need storage for non-photo video files there a re a few subscription options (and photos won't count against storage limit). Get to watch slideshows of the past on phone, TV, and our echo show which is nice.

@cap'n grunge Did you go with the 2T? 

Starting looking at Google One tonight.  I have an external 3T I could save everything to, but like the idea of the cloud.  

@cap'n grunge Did you go with the 2T? 

Starting looking at Google One tonight.  I have an external 3T I could save everything to, but like the idea of the cloud.  
Yes. More than I need but one step down wasn’t big enough. I actually have overkill because I’m paying both for Google One and Microsoft 365. Photos are on google and Microsoft 365 for the office suite.

Crap. Google Photos no longer going to offer free storage (for new photo uploads) starting in June. 

Crap. Google Photos no longer going to offer free storage (for new photo uploads) starting in June. 
Between the photos and music policy changes, I have moved everything off of Google and to Amazon. The Amazon apps aren't always as slick but migrating a bunch of media is such a PITA I just have more confidence amazon won't pull the rug out from under you and force you to make changes to a system that you have set up that wasn't broken in the first place.

Google does some great stuff but they seem to get bored with it pretty quick.

I pay for both Amazon and Apple backup services in addition to an external hard drive. I know it's excessive but if Amazon somehow lost our backup my wife would be a wreck. Spending an extra $100/yr to ensure that everything from our entire relationship is backed up is an easy call imo. 

I got the 2TB Google One plan and so far am really glad I did.  Already got all my stuff transferred over and really like being able to access whatever I need no matter what machine I'm on. 

I was planning on buying a Pixel 5 or 4a5G anyway, and get my wife a 4a, so that 10% credit sort of makes this year free.  Although I haven't bought the phones yet so hoping it's just a straight credit and not like a Dell rebate.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally super pissed about this.
For me "pissed" is a bit strong, but it does make me wonder if Google realizes the way they treat customers in one division has a direct impact of success in another. For instance they rolled out "Stadia" in past year to tap into an absolutely huge potential revenue stream in online gaming. With a proven track record of just changing policies at any given point in time I can't imagine who in their right mind would actually purchase games through Stadia and feel confident two years from now that Stadia will even exist. Or that Stadia isn't folded into a worse google platform like Google did with their Google Music customers. 

I've been using Google photos for a while and will pay to keep using it going forward. Does anyone know if you can (easily) share space across accounts? I'd prefer not to pay a monthly fee for both myself and my wife to backup pictures. I imagine there's a way to sign into my account from her phone and do it that way but just thinking if there's an easier way. 

I've been using Google photos for a while and will pay to keep using it going forward. Does anyone know if you can (easily) share space across accounts? I'd prefer not to pay a monthly fee for both myself and my wife to backup pictures. I imagine there's a way to sign into my account from her phone and do it that way but just thinking if there's an easier way. 
The 2TB plan can be shared.  I haven't added my wife yet so not sure how it works, but am told it will.  

It took me about 5 seconds to Google it and find out that plans can be shared by up to 5 people.

beef said:
I got the 2TB Google One plan and so far am really glad I did.  Already got all my stuff transferred over and really like being able to access whatever I need no matter what machine I'm on. 

I was planning on buying a Pixel 5 or 4a5G anyway, and get my wife a 4a, so that 10% credit sort of makes this year free.  Although I haven't bought the phones yet so hoping it's just a straight credit and not like a Dell rebate.  
For $1.99/month per 100 GB, I'll probably just stick with Google photos.  I take too many photos with my DSLR camera.

Paying $11.99/mo for 2TB with Dropbox. Use it to keep all my personal files, freelance work files, etc. Love the easy interface/sync with phone/work/personal computers.

Paying $2.99/mo for 200GB with Apple to back up my photos and iPhone data. Prefer the separate account for ease of access/updates/etc. 

As you can tell, I'm willing to pay a buck or two over market for convenience and superior UX. 

Paying $2.99/mo for 200GB with Apple to back up my photos and iPhone data. Prefer the separate account for ease of access/updates/etc. 
Are these permanent back-ups though? I thought if you delete a photo off of your iphone it also deletes it on iCloud. 

I tested this about 5 years ago, which is why I went with Google Photos and pay for storage there. With Google photos you can delete everything off your iPhone and it still is saved in Google. 

Are these permanent back-ups though? I thought if you delete a photo off of your iphone it also deletes it on iCloud. 

I tested this about 5 years ago, which is why I went with Google Photos and pay for storage there. With Google photos you can delete everything off your iPhone and it still is saved in Google. 
Yes but I'm not sure why this is a problem?

I like having access to all my images in one place, and they're filed away neatly.

Right now I have over 23,000 photos and 1000 videos on my phone and it's taking up less than half my allotted cloud space and I still have over 130GB free on the phone so storage isn't an issue on the device either. 

Yes but I'm not sure why this is a problem?

I like having access to all my images in one place, and they're filed away neatly.

Right now I have over 23,000 photos and 1000 videos on my phone and it's taking up less than half my allotted cloud space and I still have over 130GB free on the phone so storage isn't an issue on the device either. 
All I'm saying is neither of those are permanent storage solutions. If someone accidentally deletes photos from your phone, they are also deleted on iCloud. Unless they changed this but I don't think so. 

I have iCloud as well but I also back up everything to my Google Photo account so I have permanent backups. 

Edit to add: I know Google Photos technically isn't permanent because the world changes so much and who knows, but I do pay for that storage and it's another level of redundancy. I also have my photos backed up on my hard drive at home.

I think I am just going to set up my own Plex server for my music and photos. Has anyone done that before?

... and I still have over 130GB free on the phone so ...
So I assume that means your phone has 256GB of internal storage? Some of us have no interest in buying a phone(especially at apple prices) that has 256GB of internal storage. Isn't the "cheapest" iphone with 256GB of storage over $500?

Admittedly, I have more than 256GB on MY phone but that's only because a memory card cost me ~$30.

So I assume that means your phone has 256GB of internal storage? Some of us have no interest in buying a phone(especially at apple prices) that has 256GB of internal storage. Isn't the "cheapest" iphone with 256GB of storage over $500?

Admittedly, I have more than 256GB on MY phone but that's only because a memory card cost me ~$30.
:shrug:  It's a lousy hundred bucks bump from 128-256.  

If you're not buying a premium phone of can't swing the $100 then go another route.

It's only ~$60-70 more than a SD card. I'll take the bump in speed and reliability of the internal storage.. but again if $60-70 is a deal breaker for you then I understand not wanting to go that route. 

Turns out there's phones perfect for all needs and budgets. :thumbup:  

Apple also protects their users privacy more than any other company, in addition to security updates for years. I'll gladly pay an extra few hundred dollars every 3 years for that. 

Users who are viewing this thread