What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cliff Branch RIP (1 Viewer)

If Lynn Swann is in the HOF Branch should be.
Well IDK about that standard, unless you want to enshrine Johnny Morton. But Branch is a mystery when you simply compare his production to his peers.

He had a higher peak than his teammate Biletnikoff, career numbers are only slightly behind, and he’s virtually even with Stallworth & Warfiled. Those three are all in Canton.

Their careers overlapped. His apex was better. He compiled career numbers that look modest today but met the gold standard of his time.

Should be a HoFer IMO.

ETA: Also, three SB rings. He held all the career playoff receiving records until Rice came along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day to see one of the greatest to wear the Silver and Black pass on. One of 6 that was on the team for all 3 SB wins.

Cool side fact: Mark Davis also repped Branch as his agent in negotiations with his father.

Speed Kills, baby.

If Lynn Swann is in the HOF Branch should be.
Best WR of the 1970's in my opinion, plus 3 rings. Its crazy he isn't already in. People overrate counting stats. Branch was always coming up with big plays when needed, he just wasn't force fed, because those Raider teams were pretty loaded, which is probably why they had 3 rings.

Sad day to see one of the greatest to wear the Silver and Black pass on. One of 6 that was on the team for all 3 SB wins.

Cool side fact: Mark Davis also repped Branch as his agent in negotiations with his father.

Speed Kills, baby.
saw that in the article linked above as well. Anyone know who the other 5 are?

Shell one of them? I was only 10 years old for their '77 SB win, so I can't remember who was on the 70's vs the 80's teams.

Three SB rings with Raiders:

WR Cliff Branch

P Ray Guy

LB Ted Hendricks

C Dave Dalby

T Art Shell

T Henry Lawrence

JohnnyU said:
Branch has died at the age of 71.  He was a favorite of mine in the 70s.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27318046/raiders-receiving-great-branch-dies-age-71
When I was a kid we always pretended to be Cliff Branch catching a pass in stride over the shoulder. He was like one of the originators wasn't he of taking a pass over the shoulder on a full stride? I believe he was or one of the best in that case. He will be missed. So many of his former teammates waiting for him on the other side to form a huddle.

travdogg said:
Best WR of the 1970's in my opinion, plus 3 rings. Its crazy he isn't already in. People overrate counting stats. Branch was always coming up with big plays when needed, he just wasn't force fed, because those Raider teams were pretty loaded, which is probably why they had 3 rings.
I'm a lot biased as a Raider fan but Branch should be in the Hall.  I became a Raider fan in 78 and Branch's smoothness was a big reason.  

Very sad news. He was a quirky old guy form what I’ve heard. I know a few people who’ve met him & said he was funny as hell. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread