Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Choke

Damarea Crocket - RB Hou. (Cut 8/31)

3 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Give a pick for Gordon then sign him for 14 million/year? Not sure I agree.

I dont agree with the cap implications but if they want to win now that would be better than those other 3. 

Posted (edited)

He seems like a must have late round flier imo. I took him in the 14th last night in my one draft. He's the perfect late round flier, you should know by the end of the game Week 1 whether or not he has a role in the offense. They'll either sign/trade for someone to fill Miller's void before the season. If they don't, you'll know in that first game whether Crockett is due to see any real share of touches. 

If he somehow comes out of week one with 12-14 touches and a lot of the goal line work though, he could have every week flex potential as Duke isn't much of a goal line back. 

And if they trade for Melvin Gordon or sign someone like Ajayi and he sees all the touches week 1? No big deal, you burned a 14th round pick and now you have an easy first guy to drop if there's a good WW target week 1. 

Edited by Khy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Khy said:

He seems like a must have late round flier imo. I took him in the 14th last night in my one draft. He's the perfect late round flier, you should know by the end of the game Week 1 whether or not he has a role in the offense. They'll either sign/trade for someone to fill Miller's void before the season. If they don't, you'll know in that first game whether Crockett is due to see any real share of touches. 

If he somehow comes out of week one with 12-14 touches and a lot of the goal line work though, he could have every week flex potential as Duke isn't much of a goal line back. 

And if they trade for Melvin Gordon or sign someone like Ajayi and he sees all the touches week 1? No big deal, you burned a 14th round pick and now you have an easy first guy to drop if there's a good WW target week 1. 

Did Cleveland ever get to the goal line area with Hue as coach? How do we know Duke isn't good there? 

I'm just kidding. I took Crockett in the 15th round last night as well. Week 1 should tell us a lot as you say.

State of the Texans @SOTTexans

Damarea Crockett is One of the Many #Texans to Watch in the Preseason Finale  mavensports.io/texans/news/da… via @SOTTexans

Patrick @PatDStat

Important night for plenty of #Texans tonight. Damarea Crockett is one of the two rookie free agents playing for a spot on the 53. Plus, other thoughts on players to watch.

Damarea Crockett is One of the Many Texans to Watch in the Preseason Finale

Posted (edited)

There can't be much chance he gets cut without them bringing in a veteran.... Or two. 

He's the only biggish back they have. 

Edited by kittenmittens

13 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

There can't be much chance he gets cut without them bringing in a veteran.... Or two. 

He's the only biggish back they have. 

What are the odds that doesn't happen?  And if it's a guy like Hyde, he couldn't beat out a rookie in KC, what makes us think he could beat out a rookie in Houston?  Same idea holds true with Doug Martin.

9 minutes ago, matttyl said:

What are the odds that doesn't happen?  And if it's a guy like Hyde, he couldn't beat out a rookie in KC, what makes us think he could beat out a rookie in Houston?  Same idea holds true with Doug Martin.

Agreed.  I think the odds are very low that Crockett gets cut.  I'm surprised to even see him reported to be on the bubble. 

29 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Elijah McGuire is who scares me for both here and Ogunbowale in TB.

20 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Agreed.  I think the odds are very low that Crockett gets cut.  I'm surprised to even see him reported to be on the bubble. 

Why? He’s a UDFA. I thought Ryan Nall looked spectacular last year (and this year as well) still doesn’t stop teams. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Why? He’s a UDFA. I thought Ryan Nall looked spectacular last year (and this year as well) still doesn’t stop teams. 

He's good... And he's the only big back on the team. 

Elijah McGuire is a special teamer, that's it.  He's also a scatback. 

Same thing with Dare, and he's isn't getting cut either. 

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

He's good... And he's the only big back on the team. 

Elijah McGuire is a special teamer, that's it.  He's also a scatback. 

Same thing with Dare, and he's isn't getting cut either. 

BOB used Alfred Blue for multiple years as a primary back up. Good?! You think BOB cares about good. Nah, he’s the guy on this board with a chaw in his mouth talking about how pass blocking RB’s are the most important thing in the world.

• Like 1

Listen, I love Crockett. I went and got him on every dynasty I have after the draft. I’m just trying to keep a realistic perspective. He played behind Higdon from what I can tell last week. I don’t like it anymore than the next guy. He could have fumbling issues or nuance issues. He’s young, even by NFL rookie standards. I’ve seen more shocking things than Damarea Crockett getting cut. I hope he doesn’t. 

• Like 1

Not much on the stat sheet tonight. I haven't seen any of the game to know if the blocking was bad.

Realistically, coaches see these guys in practice every day and probably already have a strong idea of who is/isn't making the team prior to the final preseason game.

The way they've used him this preseason doesn't suggest he's a valued piece of the equation (for contrast, AZ didn't even let Chase Edmonds touch the ball tonight even though he's not even their #1 back). That being said, he's a young guy and they may simply be trying to get reps for him. Nick Chubb had 5 carries in week 4 of the preseason last year. It's not totally unheard of.

Let's see what happens in the next few days. The coaching staff will have to show their hand. If they release him, dynasty owners have a pretty clear decision to cut him loose and move on. If he makes the 53, it could get interesting.

I did notice that Duke didn't play at all, which tells me he is going to be used heavily week 1 as the team is counting on him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boone22 said:

Who played first last night? Crockett or Higdon?

Higdon got the first carry, but it was a time share with the starting unit between the two. They both played on first drive. They both both played with starting QB Webb and alternated all nightlong for 3 quarters. 

Crockett has been the designated RB (even with Miller before) inside the 20 for the first team. I'm unsure of if they kept that in place as the "first team" did not technically play last night. And it looks they only ran 1 single play inside the 20 -- a QB run for a TD.

When do we expect to know if he’s cut? The fact that we are worried about this doesn’t feel like a good sign.  

14 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

When do we expect to know if he’s cut? The fact that we are worried about this doesn’t feel like a good sign.  

He could even be cut after the designated day for 53. Happened to some guys like Boston Scott next year. Teams will hold guys on who they expect to make their roster then other guys become available and those on the fringes still miss the cut. So you’ll be holding your breath until Wednesday or so of next week.

Posted (edited)

Ferguson cut.  Crockett and Higdon are probably both safe. Higdon goes before Crockett I would imagine... I thought it would be Ferguson vs Higdon for the backup pass catching back role and if it was, Higdon won.  Maybe Jones or  has something to say about that... Buddy Howell might be a surprise too I guess. Can't assume rational coaching in Houston. 

Edited by kittenmittens

5 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Crockett and Higdon are probably both safe. 

I'd say neither is safe until game planning begins on Tuesday.  We'll see what other RBs shake loose this weekend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Choke said:

QB Webb

Joe Webb

Savior of my 2010 Fantasy Super Bowl

Champion of the Sun

You're a Master of Karate

And Friendship for Everyone

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

Joe Webb

Savior of my 2010 Fantasy Super Bowl

Champion of the Sun

You're a Master of Karate

And Friendship for Everyone

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Choke said:

Higdon got the first carry, but it was a time share with the starting unit between the two. They both played on first drive. They both both played with starting QB Webb and alternated all nightlong for 3 quarters. 

Crockett has been the designated RB (even with Miller before) inside the 20 for the first team. I'm unsure of if they kept that in place as the "first team" did not technically play last night. And it looks they only ran 1 single play inside the 20 -- a QB run for a TD.

Higdon also got the load last week when Miller went down.

3 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Ferguson cut.  Crockett and Higdon are probably both safe. Higdon goes before Crockett I would imagine... I thought it would be Ferguson vs Higdon for the backup pass catching back role and if it was, Higdon won.  Maybe Jones or  has something to say about that... Buddy Howell might be a surprise too I guess. Can't assume rational coaching in Houston. 

Howell seems to be the #2 at this point, ahead of both rookies?

1 minute ago, RushHour said:

How do you see this as the case ?  He has only played the second half of one preseason game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, matuski said:

Higdon also got the load last week when Miller went down.

The immature side of me laughed pretty good at the double entendre.

Edited by Maven25
I swear I can spell
  • Laughing 2

12 minutes ago, Maven25 said:

The immature side of me laughed pretty good at the double entendre.

Gotta love Fridays. 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Casting Couch said:

How do you see this as the case ?  He has only played the second half of one preseason game.

I assumed because Howell came in after the Miller injury (from memory, I could be wrong), and he didn’t play this week along with Duke while the rookies did. It’s hard to say since some teams are using the games more to give rookies reps regardless of depth chart status.

In any case I think Crockett came in after Higdon

16 hours ago, RushHour said:

Looking at preseason depth charts isn't always the best strategy.. I pay more attention to what happens in the game.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RushHour said:

I assumed because Howell came in after the Miller injury (from memory, I could be wrong), and he didn’t play this week along with Duke while the rookies did. It’s hard to say since some teams are using the games more to give rookies reps regardless of depth chart status.

In any case I think Crockett came in after Higdon

Howell did not come in after the Miller injury.  It was Higdon. 

Edited by matuski

5 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

McCoy cut. Now we get to see what Houston really thinks 

Might be lots of interest in LeSean.  Tampa. LA Chargers. Jacksonville.

1 hour ago, madviking10 said:

They thought they needed Hyde. 😐

That’s a load of diahrea. Are we done?

Posted (edited)

Its for the best. You guys really want him with a coach who thinks Carlos Hyde is a better player than him? BOB won’t be a head coach next year. He’s lost his ####### marbles.

Edited by Iceman03
  • Like 1

Just now, Iceman03 said:

Its for the best. You guys really want him with a coach who thinks Carlos Hyde is a better player than him? BOB won’t be a head coach next year. He’s lost his ####### marbles.

Hope he lands in Jacksonville, Tennessee, or Tampa Bay. 

• Like 1

Well, that is one cut I can make to get down to my roster limit. Not worth holding to me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Hope he lands in Jacksonville, Tennessee, or Tampa Bay. 

Practice squad seems more likely. I'm interested to see what happens to Higdon and Buddy Howell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casting Couch said:

Practice squad seems more likely. I'm interested to see what happens to Higdon and Buddy Howell.

Higdon waived as well

On 8/29/2019 at 6:23 PM, Iceman03 said:

BOB used Alfred Blue for multiple years as a primary back up. Good?! You think BOB cares about good. Nah, he’s the guy on this board with a chaw in his mouth talking about how pass blocking RB’s are the most important thing in the world.

Nailed it. 

5 hours ago, madviking10 said:

They thought they needed Hyde. 😐

More like they thought someone else would steal their Hyde.  Incredible.

If he can't make this 53 then he's probably a safe drop in dynasty.

I may hold for a day or two just to see if anyone else grabs him, but it would seem unlikely.

He will probably be a practice squad guy in HOU if I had to guess, and that's not enough to hold down a roster spot in most dynasty leagues.

Raiders signed RB Damarea Crockett to their practice squad.

Crockett turned heads at Texans training camp and held his own with 97 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries during the preseason slate but became expendable when Houston acquired veteran Carlos Hyde from Kansas City. Armed with good speed (4.40 forty at his Pro Day) and ideal measurables (5'10"/225), the undrafted rookie certainly offers some intriguing traits.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Sep 1, 2019, 5:30 PM ET

• Like 1