What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

have you ever needed a semi automatic rifle, with a clip in excess of 30 rounds? (1 Viewer)

have you ever needed a semi automatic rifle, with a clip in excess of 30 rounds?

• protecting yourself from government oppression

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • protecting your home

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • protecting your life, or the lives of your loved ones. (no military deployment)

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • coyotes

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • ted nugent, i just like to blow #### up.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • no, i have not needed a semi automatic weapon, for any reason

Votes: 168 80.8%

• Total voters
Yet another example of someone who doesn't even know what a semi-automatic weapon is but lashes out at others. Yeah dude hundreds of thousands of people have used a semi-auto weapons to protect themselves. They've been around since the late 1800s. 

So yes, literally every single day someone uses a semi automatic weapon to defend themselves, their family, and in the past has used them to fight against government oppression. Theyre also good for shooting coyotes and blowing stuff up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another example of someone who doesn't even know what a semi-automatic weapon is but lashes out at others. Yeah dude hundreds of thousands of people have used a semi-auto weapons to protect themselves. They've been around since the late 1800s. 

So yes, literally every single day someone uses a semi automatic weapon to defend themselves, their family, and in the past has used them to fight against government oppression. Theyre also good for shooting coyotes and blowing stuff up. 
What are you talking about?

i know what a semi automatic weapon is.

“hundreds of thousands of people have used a semi-auto weapons to protect themselves. They've been around since the late 1800s.” 

The question I asked, was for those of us that are not vampires.  Aka, have not been around since the 1800’s  I also clarified, not while on military deployment  

“literally every single day someone uses a semi automatic weapon to defend themselves, their family, ”

literally?  Every single day?  Someone uses a semi automatic weapon, to defend themselves?  Their families?

SOMEONE ALERT CNN!!!!

seriously.  What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

i know what a semi automatic weapon is.

“hundreds of thousands of people have used a semi-auto weapons to protect themselves. They've been around since the late 1800s.” 

The question I asked, was for those of us that are not vampires.  Aka, have not been around since the 1800’s  I also clarified, not while on military deployment  

“literally every single day someone uses a semi automatic weapon to defend themselves, their family, ”

literally?  Every single day?  Someone uses a semi automatic weapon, to defend themselves?  Their families?

SOMEONE ALERT CNN!!!!

Are you drunk?

SOMEONE ALERT CNN!!!!

Actually several times per day:

• The most comprehensive study ever conducted about defensive gun use in the United States was a 1995 survey published by criminologist Gary Kleck in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. This study reported between 2.1 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses every year.

[*]According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of gun self-defense every year.

[*]As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse

[*]Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year

Guns are legal to protect ourselves against a corrupt government.  Wake up.
Well we've had since November 2016 and guns haven't done squat so far.  When are the guns going to get rid of our corrupt government?

For advocates... Is ten enough?

If not...why not? 
Not arguing for or against, but this, to me, is one of those weird arguments.  If some crazy person is going to go on a shooting spree, he can carry another magazine very easily.  So if the intention is to limit victims, I just don't think it's really a huge difference.

Now, I'm not talking about the huge magazines.  But when I see people arguing to lower them from 15 to 10, I don't think that's doing anything other than making people feel good inside.

Not arguing for or against, but this, to me, is one of those weird arguments.  If some crazy person is going to go on a shooting spree, he can carry another magazine very easily.  So if the intention is to limit victims, I just don't think it's really a huge difference.

Now, I'm not talking about the huge magazines.  But when I see people arguing to lower them from 15 to 10, I don't think that's doing anything other than making people feel good inside.
Fwiw, I'm not making an argument.

I'm trying to understand why these magazines are needed and how many rounds in one is enough. 

One life would be a huge difference for that person and his/her loved ones.  I don't know where this number of rounds should be, but I'll take a small number of spared lives over none.

If the person has to change magazines, that produces a moment when there is no shooting, which may allow someone to escape or for someone to get to them before the shooting restarts.

If the person has to change magazines, that produces a moment when there is no shooting, which may allow someone to escape or for someone to get to them before the shooting restarts.
If he has magazines that are already filled, switching between and empty and full one would take a matter of seconds.  My point is I don't think it's that big of a change that would lessen tragedies.  

I'm trying to understand why these magazines are needed and how many rounds in one is enough. 
Less than a 50 Cal belt. 

In all honesty, a decently trained person can change a mag faster than most people could run out to safety. Assuming they even knew the person has to change mags.

If he has magazines that are already filled, switching between and empty and full one would take a matter of seconds.  My point is I don't think it's that big of a change that would lessen tragedies.  
The Dayton shooting took all of 32 seconds.  Seconds can matter a great deal.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Less than a 50 Cal belt. 
I'm not a gun person, and don't know what this means. 

magazines are needed to be able to fire as many rounds as possible- correct?

I'm trying to understand in what circumstances needing as many rounds as possible is needed, and from there- how many rounds would be enough.

I'm trying to understand in what circumstances needing as many rounds as possible is needed, and from there- how many rounds would be enough.
magazines hold and feed the bullets into the gun.

a magazine can hold 5 bullets, or in the Dayton example a drum of 100 bullets.

enough for what?

that 100 round drum would sure be convenient at the range assuming i can still hold the gun normally.

I don’t know much about guns a 30 round or 100 round (is that picture going around the internet accurate?) magazine/clip seems way unnecessary. 

magazines hold and feed the bullets into the gun.

a magazine can hold 5 bullets, or in the Dayton example a drum of 100 bullets.

enough for what?

that 100 round drum would sure be convenient at the range assuming i can still hold the gun normally.
so they're convenient for use at the range. I assume without the magazine, you'd have to manually load the bullets into the gun after shooting them all?

any other use or need where having maximum capacity is required? I assume  people use semi-automatic rifles to hunt? how many rounds are needed for that before reloading? or for the farmer/coyote example? 

enough for... dunno. that's what I'm trying to understand. 

Less than a 50 Cal belt. 

In all honesty, a decently trained person can change a mag faster than most people could run out to safety. Assuming they even knew the person has to change mags.
I realize we aren't talking about hours, but a split second can always help.

not getting in any pee'ing contest here but I would like to see the hard data on the above bolded/underlined.

so they're convenient for use at the range. I assume without the magazine, you'd have to manually load the bullets into the gun after shooting them all?

any other use or need where having maximum capacity is required? I assume  people use semi-automatic rifles to hunt? how many rounds are needed for that before reloading? or for the farmer/coyote example? 

enough for... dunno. that's what I'm trying to understand. 
For me, at the range, I like to shoot more and swap less.

I don't know anyone that actually uses an AR to hunt, they use rifle rifles.

I have shot at a coyote harassing my dog in the backyard recently.  I required one bullet for that.

Less than a 50 Cal belt. 

I think the shooter in the Gabby Giffords attack was stopped when he had to reload.

Actually several times per day:

The most comprehensive study ever conducted about defensive gun use in the United States was a 1995 survey published by criminologist Gary Kleck in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. This study reported between 2.1 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses every year.

According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of gun self-defense every year.

As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse

Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year

huh, I don't know much about the research or funding behind these, but I would have to question how this is obtained and the validity of it. not saying it is false, I just think I would like to see more. Living in a heavily populated area like Philadelphia, these stats even seem off for me. there is plenty of crime here in the city, and I don't know anyone who uses a gun for self defense. my buddies who have moved to the burbs and have maybe 1 home robbery a year are the one's I know who have guns for self defense. these numbers seem way off from my daily living, so maybe it is vastly different across the country?

Users who are viewing this thread