What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

have you ever needed a semi automatic rifle, with a clip in excess of 30 rounds? (1 Viewer)

have you ever needed a semi automatic rifle, with a clip in excess of 30 rounds?

• protecting yourself from government oppression

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • protecting your home

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • protecting your life, or the lives of your loved ones. (no military deployment)

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • coyotes

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • ted nugent, i just like to blow #### up.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • no, i have not needed a semi automatic weapon, for any reason

Votes: 168 80.8%

• Total voters
We are concerned with retailers having access to medical history, but okay with them having access to criminal history? 

I don't see the kid working the Sporting Goods counter at Walmart having access to either history. It would be something along the lines of the old check verification machines or current credit card machines. If you walk into a store, you're information is entered into the system, it returns a pass/fail rating. It doesn't show the reason why, it just states that the person cannot purchase a firearm at that time. If they have further questions, they can contact the ATF. 

The magic happens on the back end. Local professionals and law enforcement keep the system updated. If someone wants to dispute the findings, they can request a hearing. We used computers to put a man on the moon, I think we can figure out a system to automate this while keeping things confidential.
We haven’t even identified what medical history is relevant, let alone a way to ensure such a database wouldn’t be misused. I realize some of the same issues may apply to a gun registry, but the potential for abuse is far greater for health info IMO.

My dad was law enforcement.. taught me how to shoot, keep, maintain guns.  I would never have a gun that wasn't kept safe, kept clean, and more importantly that I wasn't proficient with.
Every gun owner believes they are proficient, safe etc. etc. etc. Just like every dog owner thinks their dog is safe and under control right up until they eat someone's face off (FTR I voted Dog).  The only point is you can do everything right and the result could still be innocent deaths.

If it meant you would lose your 30+ mag, semi-auto would you support your neighbors losing theirs?  The need you talk about would be eliminated.

And, once again, you really should consider moving if you have such concern for your neighbor(s).

I'm asking a serious question.  But you can't send me to that link and expect me to spend all day reading it.  I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything like that.  I'm genuinely interested in hearing the ideas.  
After adjustment for relevant covariates, the three state laws most strongly associated with reduced overall firearm mortality were universal background checks for firearm purchase (multivariable IRR 0·39 [95% CI 0·23–0·67]; p=0·001), ammunition background checks (0·18 [0·09–0·36]; p<0·0001), and identification requirement for firearms (0·16 [0·09–0·29]

We haven’t even identified what medical history is relevant, let alone a way to ensure such a database wouldn’t be misused. I realize some of the same issues may apply to a gun registry, but the potential for abuse is far greater for health info IMO.

I believe we've reached the point of agreeing to disagree. You're pushing for background checks and bans on guns. You're not applying concerns equally. 

Have a great day. 

Every gun owner believes they are proficient, safe etc. etc. etc. Just like every dog owner thinks their dog is safe and under control right up until they eat someone's face off (FTR I voted Dog).  The only point is you can do everything right and the result could still be innocent deaths.

No, not every gun owner thinks they are proficient.  Then your odd insertion about innocent deaths (something I don't recall arguing otherwise?).

If it meant you would lose your 30+ mag, semi-auto would you support your neighbors losing theirs?  The need you talk about would be eliminated.

For one, I don't have 30+ mag.  For another, I have said this ad nauseam.  I don't think you are even trying to read my posts.  

And, once again, you really should consider moving if you have such concern for your neighbor(s).

And, once again, I do not have any concerns about my neighbors (see part about you not reading posts again).
You are trying too hard to make whatever point you are after, while not reading my posts which might clue you in that I am 90% on the same page.

Plus a whole lot of putting words in my mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm asking a serious question.  But you can't send me to that link and expect me to spend all day reading it.  I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything like that.  I'm genuinely interested in hearing the ideas.  
It is an abstract... like 4 paragraphs are all you need to read?

Or just read the background + interpretation.

eta here:

Background

In an effort to reduce firearm mortality rates in the USA, US states have enacted a range of firearm laws to either strengthen or deregulate the existing main federal gun control law, the Brady Law. We set out to determine the independent association of different firearm laws with overall firearm mortality, homicide firearm mortality, and suicide firearm mortality across all US states. We also projected the potential reduction of firearm mortality if the three most strongly associated firearm laws were enacted at the federal level.

Interpretation

Very few of the existing state-specific firearm laws are associated with reduced firearm mortality, and this evidence underscores the importance of focusing on relevant and effective firearms legislation. Implementation of universal background checks for the purchase of firearms or ammunition, and firearm identification nationally could substantially reduce firearm mortality in the USA.

You are trying too hard to make whatever point you are after, while not reading my posts which might clue you in that I am 90% on the same page.

Plus a whole lot of putting words in my mouth.

I definitely need to have that weapon as long as people all around me have these weapons.

I have described before the arsenals that are my neighbors' closets.

Living where I do, if I ever do need a gun... it is likely because my opponent has one.
Pretty sure I am reading your posts just fine. 

But, fine.  Apparently it's not your neighbors, just people in Texas or something like that.

So your scenarios are:

1) Government oppression which is hilarious as the government doesn't give two ####s about your weapons, they do just fine oppressing you regardless of how many boom sticks are in your closet

2) Some kind of active shooter situation where you are conveniently near your semi-automatic rifle and...what? How do you get from there to Profit? 

3) Natural disaster that causes someone to try and take your stuff.  Okay, I can see that one.  Why it needs to be a semi-auto rifle (the thread started with 30+ clips but I guess we can drop that one because it has become some kind of a barrier to advancing discussion) is a little more dubious.  This scenario certainly has some validity although the oppressive local, state and federal government are also pretty good at getting things righted within a few days.  Certainly they will rapidly provide basic food and shelter in the event that yours is taken.  Plus all the charity organizations that typically rush to natural disaster scenes.  Katrina looks more and more like an outlier the further out we get. 

But, fine you need a semi-automatic rifle to protect yourself in the event of a natural disaster.

Pretty sure I am reading your posts just fine. 

But, fine.  Apparently it's not your neighbors, just people in Texas or something like that.

So your scenarios are:

1) Government oppression which is hilarious as the government doesn't give two ####s about your weapons, they do just fine oppressing you regardless of how many boom sticks are in your closet

2) Some kind of active shooter situation where you are conveniently near your semi-automatic rifle and...what? How do you get from there to Profit? 

3) Natural disaster that causes someone to try and take your stuff.  Okay, I can see that one.  Why it needs to be a semi-auto rifle (the thread started with 30+ clips but I guess we can drop that one because it has become some kind of a barrier to advancing discussion) is a little more dubious.  This scenario certainly has some validity although the oppressive local, state and federal government are also pretty good at getting things righted within a few days.  Certainly they will rapidly provide basic food and shelter in the event that yours is taken.  Plus all the charity organizations that typically rush to natural disaster scenes.  Katrina looks more and more like an outlier the further out we get. 

But, fine you need a semi-automatic rifle to protect yourself in the event of a natural disaster.
cherry picking the quotes.. im not even reading this block of text my friend.

Ive said what I can say... I can't control your ability to comprehend.

This is weird.. considering I have largely agreed with you from the start.

That is a summary of a study on state gun regulations that have proven to reduce gun fatalities. Unless you are an extremely slow reader, it won't take all day to read. But to spoon feed it to you:

31 672 firearm-related deaths occurred in 2010 in the USA (10·1 per 100 000 people; mean state-specific count 631·5 [SD 629·1]). Of 25 firearm laws, nine were associated with reduced firearm mortality, nine were associated with increased firearm mortality, and seven had an inconclusive association. After adjustment for relevant covariates, the three state laws most strongly associated with reduced overall firearm mortality were universal background checks for firearm purchase (multivariable IRR 0·39 [95% CI 0·23–0·67]; p=0·001), ammunition background checks (0·18 [0·09–0·36]; p<0·0001), and identification requirement for firearms (0·16 [0·09–0·29]; p<0·0001). Projected federal-level implementation of universal background checks for firearm purchase could reduce national firearm mortality from 10·35 to 4·46 deaths per 100 000 people, background checks for ammunition purchase could reduce it to 1·99 per 100 000, and firearm identification to 1·81 per 100 000.
To restate it for the statistically challenged:

The study, published March 10 in The Lancet, suggests that three laws implemented in some states could reduce gun deaths by more than 80 percent if they were adopted nationwide. Laws requiring firearm identification through ballistic imprinting or microstamping were found to reduce the projected mortality risk by 84 percent, ammunition background checks reduced it by 82 percent, and universal background checks for all gun purchases reduced it by 61 percent.
Granted the stats apply to all gun deaths, including suicides, which somehow are less important in the eyes of many. They do not specifically address mass shootings, but I'm in the camp who believes the shooters are incredibly difficult to identify prospectively and shouldn't be the focus of our efforts.

I believe we've reached the point of agreeing to disagree. You're pushing for background checks and bans on guns. You're not applying concerns equally. 

Have a great day. 
I haven't pushed for anything. I'm trying to post actual data and concrete solutions, rather than empty rhetoric. Sorry if that doesn't fit your standards of fairness.

But if you'd like to know what forensic psychiatrists think of the application of mental health screening to mass shootings, here's the review that is most commonly cited.

Cliff's notes for those with short attention span: Most mass shooters have no identifiable mental illness, and creating laws designed to identify those who do is poor allocation of limited resources, with likely adverse consequences extending to other patients requiring care from mental health professionals.

Laws intended to reduce gun violence that focus on a population representing less than 3% of all gun violence will be extremely low yield, ineffective, and wasteful of scarce resources. Perpetrators of mass shootings are unlikely to have a history of involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. Thus, databases intended to restrict access to guns and established by guns laws that broadly target people with mental illness will not capture this group of individuals.

Gun restriction laws focusing on people with mental illness perpetuate the myth that mental illness leads to violence, as well as the misperception that gun violence and mental illness are strongly linked. Stigma represents a major barrier to access and treatment of mental illness, which in turn increases the public health burden.

That is a summary of a study on state gun regulations that have proven to reduce gun fatalities. Unless you are an extremely slow reader, it won't take all day to read. But to spoon feed it to you:

To restate it for the statistically challenged:

Granted the stats apply to all gun deaths, including suicides, which somehow are less important in the eyes of many. They do not specifically address mass shootings, but I'm in the camp who believes the shooters are incredibly difficult to identify prospectively and shouldn't be the focus of our efforts.
I am a slow reader.  It's been stated on here many times.  

I was simply asking you what you thought would be good ideas.  The point was to have a conversation.  I found it weird that you throw up a link and be like, "Start with this."  I can Google things like this, too.  But I was asking for your thoughts.

I am a slow reader.  It's been stated on here many times.  

I was simply asking you what you thought would be good ideas.  The point was to have a conversation.  I found it weird that you throw up a link and be like, "Start with this."  I can Google things like this, too.  But I was asking for your thoughts.
I doubt any of us have earth-shattering new ideas to solve the problem of gun violence, so I thought it would be helpful to see if any objective data existed.  The proposed gun regulations seem far more reasonable to me than pie-in-the-sky ideas like solving mental health problems contributing to mass shootings.

Why? Because no single mental health diagnosis characterizes all, or even most shooters. Moreover, focusing on limiting the rights of those with mental illness will likely have many unintended consequences, not the least of which is disincentivizing disturbed people from seeking help for fear of losing their guns.

After all, even “normal” people get pretty bent out of shape when the prospects of gun control are entertained. How else can a gun lover compete in an arms race with their neighbors, or hold off marauding coyotes/boars/opponents?

I doubt any of us have earth-shattering new ideas to solve the problem of gun violence, so I thought it would be helpful to see if any objective data existed.  The proposed gun regulations seem far more reasonable to me than pie-in-the-sky ideas like solving mental health problems contributing to mass shootings.

Why? Because no single mental health diagnosis characterizes all, or even most shooters. Moreover, focusing on limiting the rights of those with mental illness will likely have many unintended consequences, not the least of which is disincentivizing disturbed people from seeking help for fear of losing their guns.

After all, even “normal” people get pretty bent out of shape when the prospects of gun control are entertained. How else can a gun lover compete in an arms race with their neighbors, or hold off marauding coyotes/boars/opponents?
I'd say that last paragraph says more about your opinion than anything else you've posted in here.

I don't understand this country's obsession with guns, I've never owned one and don't think I ever will, but the one thing I've learned is that Americans LOVE their guns.  There is no amount of mass shootings that is going to change that.   

Argue until you are blue in the face with them but guns are more important to Americans than baseball, cars, hamburgers, apple pie and even baby Jeebus.

I don't understand this country's obsession with guns, I've never owned one and don't think I ever will, but the one thing I've learned is that Americans LOVE their guns.  There is no amount of mass shootings that is going to change that.   

Argue until you are blue in the face with them but guns are more important to Americans than baseball, cars, hamburgers, apple pie and even baby Jeebus.
I think it's like anything else.  If you've had something your whole life, you're going to get defensive if someone comes and tries to take it away.  Again, I'm not a "gun guy" by most definitions.  I own a 9mm that I bought while in the police academy.  It sits locked in my house most of the time, but I like to go shooting at the range several times a year.  If someone knocked on my door tomorrow and said they were there to confiscate my gun, I'd probably be upset.  But to be fair, I'd be just as upset if they came to say they were there to confiscate my laptop.  Or my PS4.  Or my books.  Especially since I've done nothing wrong with any of those things.  Well, maybe with the laptop.  And by maybe, I mean definitely.

Point is, I don't think it's that Americans love guns so much.  I think that it's Americans love freedom.  And when things start getting taken away or banned, they don't like that.  Especially when those things were the second most important thing to the founders of the country.

I think it's like anything else.  If you've had something your whole life, you're going to get defensive if someone comes and tries to take it away.  Again, I'm not a "gun guy" by most definitions.  I own a 9mm that I bought while in the police academy.  It sits locked in my house most of the time, but I like to go shooting at the range several times a year.  If someone knocked on my door tomorrow and said they were there to confiscate my gun, I'd probably be upset.  But to be fair, I'd be just as upset if they came to say they were there to confiscate my laptop.  Or my PS4.  Or my books.  Especially since I've done nothing wrong with any of those things.  Well, maybe with the laptop.  And by maybe, I mean definitely.

Point is, I don't think it's that Americans love guns so much.  I think that it's Americans love freedom.  And when things start getting taken away or banned, they don't like that.  Especially when those things were the second most important thing to the founders of the country.
While I'm replying to your post, I'm not talking about you.  I think what a lot of people who oppose gun control miss is that people who support gun control like freedom too.  My wife, son, and I were at a city festival this past weekend.  My wife did not want to stand too close to the vendors by the entrance, because if some nut came in with a gun shooting up the place, she figured that would be where it would start.  So, it is to the point where we are not doing things out of fear. 

I can't imagine my family is the only one doing those kind of protective measures.  It would be nice if I could have the freedom back to go to a street festival, store, the mall, work, etc. without needing to live in fear of somebody deciding to use that location to commit mass murder.

While I'm replying to your post, but I'm not talking about you.  I think what a lot of people who oppose gun control miss is that people who support gun control like freedom too.  My wife, son, and I were at a city festival this past weekend.  My wife did not want to stand too close to the vendors by the entrance, because if some nut came in with a gun shooting up the place, she figured that would be where it would start.  So, it is to the point where we are not doing things out of fear. 

I can't imagine my family is the only one doing those kind of protective measures.  It would be nice if I could have the freedom back to go to a street festival, store, the mall, work, etc. without needing to live in fear of somebody deciding to use that location to commit mass murder.
I think this is a really underrated feeling. I went to an outdoor concert at an amphitheater a few years back and felt vulnerable for the precise reason of a mass shooting. Was it a rational fear? Probably not. But the chances of survival at one of these things is x<1 for sure, so it no longer behooves me to a be a victim of somebody's crazy manifesto or copycat crime. Like I've said over in the PSF, my attitude towards guns is not fleshed out, but this is a very astute comment about the mindset of at least some of us.

I personally take my own views with a grain of salt as I tended not to like crowds of people even before mass shootings played such a role in our consciousness, and I'm willing to come to grips I may be the eggshell plaintiff in this case in terms of stomaching risk, but I think more people than I feel this way. Anyway, long way of saying "excellent point" about those who want to enjoy mass activities as freedom-lovers, too. 

Fair enough but the talk of banning has been focused on military style assault weapons, which is a far cry from the government coming to confiscate all of your guns.    There are limitations to freedom for all kind of things but any time there is discussion on regulations on guns Americans go crazy.

I think this is a really underrated feeling. I went to an outdoor concert at an amphitheater a few years back and felt vulnerable for the precise reason of a mass shooting. Was it a rational fear? Probably not. But the chances of survival at one of these things is x<1 for sure, so it no longer behooves me to a be a victim of somebody's crazy manifesto or copycat crime. Like I've said over in the PSF, my attitude towards guns is not fleshed out, but this is a very astute comment about the mindset of at least some of us.

I personally take my own views with a grain of salt as I tend not to like crowds of people even before mass shootings played such a role in our consciousness, and I'm willing to come to grips I may be the eggshell plaintiff in this case in terms of stomaching risk, but I think more people than I feel this way. Anyway, long way of saying "excellent point" about those who want to enjoy mass activities as freedom-lovers, too. 
My personal experience may be a bit clouded because my son's daycare is about 1000 feet from where Rep. Scalise was shot.  I was in a lockdown with my son there in the immediate aftermath of that shooting.  I think my wife still has a bit of PTSD from that.  I also play fantasy football with someone who was shot (but survived) in Virginia Beach.

I feel lucky that no family or friends have been killed in these attacks yet, but having a personal connection to two of the attacks definitely makes me feel that is not just some kind of "it can't happen to me" risk. And there is also the story of the guy who survived the Las Vegas shooting, only to die in the Thousand Oaks shooting.  These mass shootings are happening so often that it does not really surprise me that we're having survivors caught up in another one.

Fair enough but the talk of banning has been focused on military style assault weapons, which is a far cry from the government coming to confiscate all of your guns.    There are limitations to freedom for all kind of things but any time there is discussion on regulations on guns Americans go crazy.
Agree.  But one of the big sticking points I keep trying to get across is that the terminology is confusing people.  You say military style assault weapons.  But what are those?  Because a lot of people keep saying that semi automatic weapons fall into that category.  And if so, that would include my 9mm pistol.

This may not be entirely true. There are some states that are already looking at banning semi automatic rifles that "could" accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. By that description, there are a lot of guns that people use for hunting that would suddenly become illegal. The deer rifle that I used for 20 years, the gun that passed down to my son, is a Remington 7400. It has a 4 round removable magazine. But, it could accept a magazine that holds 10, 20 or 100 rounds. It doesn't have a pistol grip or a scary looking profile. But, because of over reaching legislation, it's considered something that needs to be banned. 

While I'm replying to your post, I'm not talking about you.  I think what a lot of people who oppose gun control miss is that people who support gun control like freedom too.  My wife, son, and I were at a city festival this past weekend.  My wife did not want to stand too close to the vendors by the entrance, because if some nut came in with a gun shooting up the place, she figured that would be where it would start.  So, it is to the point where we are not doing things out of fear. 

I totally get that.  And I always try to see things from both sides.  But crazy people are driving cars into crowds to kill people.  I'm sure people worry about being at a festival and having a car come plowing into the crowd, too.  More people own cars than guns and anyone can buy a car.  I don't think fear should dictate what we allow people to own.  I don't think it should be totally discounted, but fear should not be our main focus. In reality, getting shot at a festival is something that is extremely rare.  

I totally get that.  And I always try to see things from both sides.  But crazy people are driving cars into crowds to kill people.  I'm sure people worry about being at a festival and having a car come plowing into the crowd, too.  More people own cars than guns and anyone can buy a car.  I don't think fear should dictate what we allow people to own.  I don't think it should be totally discounted, but fear should not be our main focus. In reality, getting shot at a festival is something that is extremely rare.  
I have (or had) a greater fear of being plowed into with a car while in Vegas. I spend roughly 15-20 days in Vegas each year. The area I stay is the Planet Hollywood, Bellagio, Paris area. Whenever you're standing at the crosswalk, there are 50-75 people waiting for the crosswalk signal. A few years ago, a woman did drive into a crowd of people at that exact location. Vegas is currently putting up 3000 bollards along the strip to prevent this from happening in the future. I was in Vegas the week after the shooting. I had never been afraid of being in a mass shooting in Vegas before or after that. In a town that plays the odds, it just isn't a logical bet. 

I commented upthread about cars- if/when they are used as weapons, changes are made locally to limiting what they're able to access to minimize these kinds of attacks. from a perception standpoint, the same hasn't happened with these mass shootings. 

I commented upthread about cars- if/when they are used as weapons, changes are made locally to limiting what they're able to access to minimize these kinds of attacks. from a perception standpoint, the same hasn't happened with these mass shootings. 
Not changes to the cars, though.  Changes to other things.  But cars stay the same.  They may add barriers or things like that, but the car stays the same.  

And I'm not trying to get off the subject, because I feel like we could very quickly with this.  

Again, I'm all for limiting mag sizes to normal sizes.  Guns pretty much have been around the 15 rounds range.  I don't think we should look at lowering that.  But I do think we should look at limiting it around that.  I think in order to get a gun, you should have to get a license like a car.  Maybe look into something where you have to talk with a law enforcement officer as well as a mental health expert.  Get signed off on.  That doesn't mean it will stop all the crazies from getting a gun, but I'm all for something like that.

I'm for a lot of common sense stuff, like if you're on a watch list, you can't get a gun.  Simple enough.  But even with all of that regulation, if a crazy person wants to get a gun and go on a shooting spree, they're going to find a way to do it, most likely.  So while I support a lot of these checks, I also am not very confident that it will stop tragedies like this.

I've always been a believer in going after the source.  Figuring out what's the cause.  Guns aren't the cause of these shootings.  There's a much deeper cause.  I'd love to see some studies to see what the root of these issues are.  Maybe combat these issues at the source.  Is it bullying?  Is it social media?  Is it video games?  We've had guns for 200+ years, but we've only had these mass shootings for about 30+ years.  What has changed and is there anything we can do to address it?

Just me ranting on my soapbox, but like everyone else in America, I'm tired of seeing these news stories.  I think everyone is, including gun owners.  

There were some portable jersey barriers at the event that I was at, so that was a bit less of a risk.  A car attack can certainly happen, but it seems like protecting against that is becoming a bit more of a standard security precaution.  I don't think protecting against car attacks and gun attacks are mutually exclusive activities.  And there are some places where gun attacks have happened that are not as susceptible to car attacks (office building, school, Walmart, movie theatre, etc.).

There is no way that we can ever protect the population from car attacks. Perhaps we need another thread to discuss. But, I think of all the places that we gather. Our family does a JDRF walk downtown each year, the walk encompasses a bunch of city streets. We have college world series every June, people congregate in areas that aren't always utilized during other times of the year. This is just one city in America. It would be impossible to cover all possibilities. 

Some of us have family heirlooms. I have a couple shotguns from the 60s, passed down from my dad and his brother, valued at just over 20k. A Grulla Armas and A Browning Diana. My dad was Olympic caliber with a shotgun. He also left me a 1911 that was carried by his Uncle in ww1, he carried it in ww2 and Korea. He used a Colt Gold Cup in Vietnam. I have all four of these firearms, and six others. A Three Gun kit, a Savage 338LM, and a couple 22lrs (1911 and AR) for cost saving. 

If someone knocked on my door to take them he better be holding a large check, and even so the thought of the shotties in the confiscation pile is just ridiculous. They are more art than firearm. 

The study being run up the flagpole here is a joke. The wild conclusions about what those laws would achieve is absurd. Still, you want background checks for guns and ammo? I am all in. Let's do it. 

TheIronSheik said:
I really dislike this argument. The idea that mass murderers will just choose another weapon implies all killing tools are created equal. Clearly they aren’t. Nobody thinks every death can be avoided, but the idea is to minimize the carnage while still allowing law abiding citizens access to firearms.

Short of powerful explosives, poison gas and/or agents of bioterrorism, no potential weapon is as effective in killing a lot of people quickly in a variety of venues like guns.

Some of us have family heirlooms. I have a couple shotguns from the 60s, passed down from my dad and his brother, valued at just over 20k. A Grulla Armas and A Browning Diana. My dad was Olympic caliber with a shotgun. He also left me a 1911 that was carried by his Uncle in ww1, he carried it in ww2 and Korea. He used a Colt Gold Cup in Vietnam. I have all four of these firearms, and six others. A Three Gun kit, a Savage 338LM, and a couple 22lrs (1911 and AR) for cost saving. 

If someone knocked on my door to take them he better be holding a large check, and even so the thought of the shotties in the confiscation pile is just ridiculous. They are more art than firearm. 

The study being run up the flagpole here is a joke. The wild conclusions about what those laws would achieve is absurd. Still, you want background checks for guns and ammo? I am all in. Let's do it. 
Why? You think the data is bogus or stats miscalculated?

TheIronSheik said:

I think you are severely underestimating this.  In my hunting circles I can promise you I'm the only one that feels the way you do about my guns.

Why? You think the data is bogus or stats miscalculated?
This is just the beginning. Many liberals stepped away from the study. 

Another quote:

Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Gun Policy and Research, told the Washington Post, “Briefly, this is not a credible study and no cause and effect inferences should be made from it.” Webster is later quoted, stating, “What I find both puzzling and troubling is this very flawed piece of research is published in one of the most prestigious scientific journals around… Something went awry here, and it harms public trust.
Also according to that study:

gun dealer licensing, dealer state record reporting requirements, dealer police inspections, gun owner fingerprinting, closing of the “gun show loophole,” ammunition purchaser recordkeeping, child handgun restrictions, child access laws, juvenile handgun purchases, magazine bans, and may-issue carry permits, have little to no effect on firearm-related deaths. Further, their results show, semi-auto bans, firearms locks, “bulk purchase limitations,” and mandatory theft reporting, increase firearm-related deaths.
haha, crazy manipulative politically motivated effort to get those three laws more attention. But just laughable really.

I think you are severely underestimating this.  In my hunting circles I can promise you I'm the only one that feels the way you do about my guns.
I'm not saying we don't love guns.  I mean, it's obvious we do.  I was just trying to say we love the guns because we've always had them and they represent freedom.  

I really dislike this argument. The idea that mass murderers will just choose another weapon implies all killing tools are created equal. Clearly they aren’t. Nobody thinks every death can be avoided, but the idea is to minimize the carnage while still allowing law abiding citizens access to firearms.

Short of powerful explosives, poison gas and/or agents of bioterrorism, no potential weapon is as effective in killing a lot of people quickly in a variety of venues like guns.
How do you explain the stabbing rampage in LA? Known gang member with prior violent history = inability to purchase a firearm in California. Use knives to kill 4 people and injure 2 more.

That count would have qualified for the wiki definition of a mass shooting, had he used a gun. We either need to discredit the fact that we haven't had 250 mass shootings this year or recognize the killers can and will choose another weapon. We can ban guns all you want. The evil person still remains. 

How do you explain the stabbing rampage in LA? Known gang member with prior violent history = inability to purchase a firearm in California. Use knives to kill 4 people and injure 2 more.

That count would have qualified for the wiki definition of a mass shooting, had he used a gun. We either need to discredit the fact that we haven't had 250 mass shootings this year or recognize the killers can and will choose another weapon. We can ban guns all you want. The evil person still remains. 
And in Japan last month, a guy killed more than 20 via arson. Coverage of that tragedy? Little to none, because it doesn't fit the narrative. Why are we trying to eliminate the tool rather than those that use the tool because they are nuts? Think about that for a minute. We are being led around by an agenda driven media who no longer report news. They simply report anything that falls within their belief system and in the end, will probably be the end of us and US. 

This is just the beginning. Many liberals stepped away from the study. 

Another quote:

Also according to that study:

haha, crazy manipulative politically motivated effort to get those three laws more attention. But just laughable really.
I’m not sure I follow. It sounds like your blogger is criticizing the study because...well, because. Same goes for the Hopkins public health guy (it’s not hard to find many other public health officials who praise the study, btw). The authors of the study make no statement regarding causality - they’re clear their findings just reflect an association between the laws and gun deaths. Sometimes the nature of the association is obvious, other times less so, but the statistical analysis is in-line with typical medical journal fare.

I have no idea why semi-auto bans have the opposite association one would expect with firearm deaths. But even if the finding is surprising, it doesn’t mean that association is invalid, either. That’s one reason research is done, because what seems like common sense/intuitive is sometimes off-base. As long as the statistical analysis is valid and the raw data accurate, I tend to believe the findings. Unfortunately I don’t have access to the entire article to see the magnitude of that association, nor the quality of the original data from which it is derived.

Maybe gun aficionados should point this out when semiauto bans are mentioned? Of course this would require them to acknowledge other gun laws are associated with a reduction in gun deaths, which clearly is preposterous, right? 

Nobody is saying killers have no alternative weapons. People are saying guns are more effective at killing many people quickly in most settings.

And in Japan last month, a guy killed more than 20 via arson. Coverage of that tragedy? Little to none, because it doesn't fit the narrative. Why are we trying to eliminate the tool rather than those that use the tool because they are nuts? Think about that for a minute. We are being led around by an agenda driven media who no longer report news. They simply report anything that falls within their belief system and in the end, will probably be the end of us and US. 
Nobody is saying arsonists don’t exist either. We’d love to eliminate all the criminals in the world who use guns for nefarious reasons, but there is no prospective way to identify them all. Meanwhile, we have evidence some gun control laws work, and they don’t invalidate 2a’s call for a well regulated militia.

Nobody is saying killers have no alternative weapons. People are saying guns are more effective at killing many people quickly in most settings.
When you take away one weapon, and the desire to kill remains, what will that person do?

Yes, guns are effective for killing people. And yes, they are available. When you eliminate that, will something fill the void? 

We can keep taking things away, but the person still remains. Correct the person and we don't have to take things away. (I know, it's not the easiest path)

When you take away one weapon, and the desire to kill remains, what will that person do?

Yes, guns are effective for killing people. And yes, they are available. When you eliminate that, will something fill the void? 

We can keep taking things away, but the person still remains. Correct the person and we don't have to take things away. (I know, it's not the easiest path)
Not necessarily. You are discounting the role impulsivity plays in some acts; “crimes of passion” and suicide are classic examples. Even mass shootings aren’t entirely premeditated. If you make killing more difficult, less killing will likely result. 

Notice I didn’t say NO killing will result. To borrow from your favorite (bad) analogy, do you think DUI laws do nothing to curb drunk driving? Should we allow repeat offenders to keep their license because they’ll just find a way to drive drunk regardless, or operative another vehicle if they can’t drive a car? Should we not have BAC limits, restrictions on alcohol availability, or cut off drunks at the bar/take their keys because it limits people’s ability to indulge in alcohol? 

Not necessarily. You are discounting the role impulsivity plays in some acts; “crimes of passion” and suicide are classic examples. Even mass shootings aren’t entirely premeditated. If you make killing more difficult, less killing will likely result. 

Notice I didn’t say NO killing will result. To borrow from your favorite (bad) analogy, do you think DUI laws do nothing to curb drunk driving? Should we allow repeat offenders to keep their license because they’ll just find a way to drive drunk regardless, or operative another vehicle if they can’t drive a car? Should we not have BAC limits, restrictions on alcohol availability, or cut off drunks at the bar/take their keys because it limits people’s ability to indulge in alcohol? 
DUI laws punish the offenders.  Not everyone who owns a car.

TheIronSheik said:

I feel the same way about seatbelt laws. I should have the freedom to die in a car accident if I want.

I saw that news about the knifer in LA and thought of this thread immediately. one thing I thought- thank god that guy didn't have a semi auto weapon and just had a knife. sounds like the numbers increased because he moved around by car before the police could respond... not because the knife was a weapon of mass-killing.

for me, let's take away easy access to something that can kill multiple people quickly. if something else fills that void... let's work to limit that too. 

the argument shouldn't be that something else in a determined person's hands can kill too, so we should avoid limiting anything. it should be how we can limit those other options as they arise in responsible manner. and having listened in here, it seems like this can be done without removing all guns. 

DUI laws punish the offenders.  Not everyone who owns a car.
Exactly. Most laws suggested after one of these mass shootings would've done nothing to stop the shooter and only punish gun owners and prospective gun owners that have done nothing. If we did the same thing in response to DUI's we would all be driving very small four cylinders with no power and getting one would be very difficult. 

I saw that news about the knifer in LA and thought of this thread immediately. one thing I thought- thank god that guy didn't have a semi auto weapon and just had a knife. sounds like the numbers increased because he moved around by car before the police could respond... not because the knife was a weapon of mass-killing.

for me, let's take away easy access to something that can kill multiple people quickly. if something else fills that void... let's work to limit that too. 

the argument shouldn't be that something else in a determined person's hands can kill too, so we should avoid limiting anything. it should be how we can limit those other options as they arise in responsible manner. and having listened in here, it seems like this can be done without removing all guns. 
I understand you're points here. But, would the victims and the families of victims care whether or not the death was caused by a knife or a gun? It's been said in these threads that gun owners wouldn't support guns if it was their family member involved in these mass shootings. I wonder if a bullet wound would cause a quicker death than a knife wound. So if you can't eliminate all deaths, and you have to die, would you rather die quickly from a bullet or bleed out slowly from a knife wound?

You admit that there is a possibility that something else could fill the void. So, I'm at the point where I'm okay with banning whatever people want to ban. Take away assault rifles, take away every gun. (it's probably going to happen regardless). When the void is filled, you said "let's work to limit that too". If it's knives, how do you propose we limit them? If it's cars, how do we limit those?

I posted this in the other thread. 

Terrorist Attacks by Vehicle Fast Facts

Prior to 2015 there were two vehicle attacks. After 2015 there were 12. Seems significant especially when you take into consideration the following:

Al Qaeda's Yemeni branch encouraged its Western recruits to use trucks as weapons. A 2010 webzine article, "The Ultimate Mowing Machine," called for deploying a pickup truck as a"mowing machine, not to mow grass but mow down the enemies of Allah."

In September 2014, ISIS spokesman Abu Mohammad al-Adnani called for lone wolf attacks using improvised weaponry, "If you are not able to find an IED or a bullet, then single out the disbelieving American, Frenchman or any of their allies. Smash his head with a rock or slaughter him with a knife or run him over with your car or throw him down from a high place or choke him or poison him."

I understand you're points here. But, would the victims and the families of victims care whether or not the death was caused by a knife or a gun? It's been said in these threads that gun owners wouldn't support guns if it was their family member involved in these mass shootings. I wonder if a bullet wound would cause a quicker death than a knife wound. So if you can't eliminate all deaths, and you have to die, would you rather die quickly from a bullet or bleed out slowly from a knife wound?

You admit that there is a possibility that something else could fill the void. So, I'm at the point where I'm okay with banning whatever people want to ban. Take away assault rifles, take away every gun. (it's probably going to happen regardless). When the void is filled, you said "let's work to limit that too". If it's knives, how do you propose we limit them? If it's cars, how do we limit those?

I posted this in the other thread. 

Terrorist Attacks by Vehicle Fast Facts

Prior to 2015 there were two vehicle attacks. After 2015 there were 12. Seems significant especially when you take into consideration the following:
if/when bridges are crossed and new weapons can kill 20 people in less than a minute, I'll happily revisit. I don't see semi-automatic knife ranged weapons in the immediate future- I'm not worried about knives... even if one could kill me. and as mentioned, local jurisdictions are trying to make pedestrians safer from these kind of car attacks- so the response has already happened there. I really don't see it at as this slippery slope you're implying. 

in terms of your first paragraph... not sure what the point is or where it's coming from? doesn't seem to address what we've been talking about- or at least, I don't understand how it does.

Users who are viewing this thread