What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Contact from a recruiter via my work email. (1 Viewer)

brun

Footballguy
Recieved an email, addressed  to me at my work email, from a recruiter regarding a job opportunity.

I responded by saying that I don't discount the possibility that a new opportunity could be attractive, but such communication via my work email is unacceptable and for him to please take me off his contact list.

I'm assuming it was just a mistake and not intentional. Still, IMO, not cool.

I don't see the big deal
Yeah, not seeing the big deal at all. I get random phone and email solicitations to my work phone and email all the time. I either ignore them or politely tell them I’m not interested. Every now and then if I feel like discussing further I give them (or they often ask for) my personal email, and we can continue discussing there.  But I don’t see any issue with someone making an initial outreach to your business contact info. 

As an intro, it's bad form. They probably couldn't find you via LinkedIn. If you're inclined then suggest a quick call about the opportunity. They should then ask the best method of contact for you.

I have this happen from time to time.  It's bad form, sure, but I handle it one of two ways, depending on the email I receive.

If it's an email that I believe is directed at me, and not some canned message that is sent out to every possible candidate (carpet-bombing recruiters are the worst), then I'll shoot them an email from my personal email address.  Sometimes I have interest, sometimes not.  This way they have my contact info.

If it's a generic email, I smack them on the hand and tell them to take me off their contact list.  This is mostly because I find the canned emails more annoying than the fact they sent it to my work email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your work email tied to your LinkedIn account? 

Being in HR/Recruiting, I see this as being the most likely scenario.  We pay a ton of $$ to be able to search and view profiles not within the recruiters specific network.  Most people have it tied to their business email and that's the only contact option we have if no personal email or phone is included. 

FWIW -

My work email is not tied to my linked in account. This particular recruiter is not familiar to me.  Chances are they got my email from a mutual business contact.

It was addressed specifically to me and the opportunity would be considered related to my current function.

I believe there is the possibility, at my company, of emails getting flagged if they contain certain words. This is really ITAR related, but I'm not altogether certain that this can't happen for other reasons. I don't care to test this.

FWIW -

My work email is not tied to my linked in account. This particular recruiter is not familiar to me.  Chances are they got my email from a mutual business contact.

It was addressed specifically to me and the opportunity would be considered related to my current function.

I believe there is the possibility, at my company, of emails getting flagged if they contain certain words. This is really ITAR related, but I'm not altogether certain that this can't happen for other reasons. I don't care to test this.
Again who cares if emails are flagged. You can't control what emails are sent to you

Recruiters are spamming at an unbelievable rate. I got 4 different offers today...all garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread