What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your sq. footage and size of monthly electric bill (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
Just realized that my utility company has "summer rates" where I'm charged roughly $.25 per kwh during the summer months for everything over 800 kwh.  With a ~3,500 sq. ft. house that gets pricey damn quick.  Haven't hit $300 a month, but we're getting close. 

I've got more insulation in the attic than is suggested, put up a radiant barrier as well with ridge vent/soffits.  Try to set it around 77 degrees, except for at night when we lower it to about 75.  Wife works from home, which I know in the big scheme of things saves money (less gas for the car), but still means stuff is running during the day.  All light bulbs are energy efficient.  Would like to go tankless water heater one day, but haven't yet.  Just not sure what else I can do to help in the summer.

Just realized that my utility company has "summer rates" where I'm charged roughly $.25 per kwh during the summer months for everything over 800 kwh.  With a ~3,500 sq. ft. house that gets pricey damn quick.  Haven't hit $300 a month, but we're getting close. 

I've got more insulation in the attic than is suggested, put up a radiant barrier as well with ridge vent/soffits.  Try to set it around 77 degrees, except for at night when we lower it to about 75.  Wife works from home, which I know in the big scheme of things saves money (less gas for the car), but still means stuff is running during the day.  All light bulbs are energy efficient.  Would like to go tankless water heater one day, but haven't yet.  Just not sure what else I can do to help in the summer.
3, 200 sqft

i pay anywhere from 200 to 300 in the summer.  I keep it around 73 though.

I'll have to check mine, but you might want to have people add where they are located. Location means a lot in terms of heating and cooling.

Kansas City. Humid as hell. And hot.

Most expensive is about $175.00 on a 2000 square foot house. AC is about 25 years old. Most bills around $150. Thermostat set on 77 or 78.

2700 sq ft in MN. Bill from 6/23-7/23 was $115. Looks like we're at about $0.13 per kWh on 700 kWh. 

We set the AC to about 78 during the day, 74 from dinner to bedtime roughly, and 71 overnight. AC is about 20 years old. 

NYC, 1200 sf apartment w/ central AC, W/D and full kitchen. I pay between $100-400/month. sometimes more. sucks. 

eta: AC set around 76 most of the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
3300 sq. ft. in Mississippi.  Typically set at 77 during the day when nobody home, 72-73 when we are.   We're on level billing with our electric company so typically don't see swings of more than ~$15-20 month to month, and ours usually runs about $180-190 during the summer

2,200ish sq ft.  My electric bill is $80 a month as I do the equal pay.  Sometimes I get a NOTHING OWED if I generate a surplus.  That gives me the jumpy&quo.   Have used the A/C 3 times this summer.  

2,500 square feet - single story, all brick, I keep the thermostat set to 72 (sometimes 71), my A/C unit is about 12 years old, the furnace is around 30 years old and I'm paying between $150 - $200 per month depending on how hot it is. I think my last bill was $170?   It's been running around 90 degrees for the last 6 - 8 weeks with very little rain.

Runs at around $350 in the summer, but I’m in Atlanta and I work from home so I’m running the upstairs and downstairs AC nearly 24/7. 

2,800 + ~700 semi-finished basement so say 3,500 and it's usually around $225.  Our house is a little odd in the it's 2 stories but due to the severe slope half of the downstairs is underground so it stays much cooler than if the whole slab was completely exposed.  I ####### HATE my yard and one of the reasons I'm moving in the next year or so.

1400 sq ft, don't remember the last time it was over $75. We only run the ac (77 day/67 night) when it gets bad for more than 2 days at a time though. Well shaded lot, so it takes time to heat up. Since it's gotten bad 3x in the last month maybe we'll finally go over $75. Hopefully turning it off for good tomorrow, but we'll see. 

Texas. 2000 sq ft. Set it at 76 during the day and 72 at night.

During the summer, bill is about $250 per month. Less than half of that in the winter.

2500 sq ft, thermostat is at 64 round the clock, and year round.  Highest summer bill will be $300.  In the winter it is $100.  When the inlaws visit, they bring jackets even though it is 88 and humid outside..  

Missouri (hot summers, cold winters).   4300 sq ft but have a geothermal system.

--During the hottest summer months (June, July, August) it will be $200-$250.

--During spring and fall (April, May, September, October), it's only $80-$100.

--Rest of months are between $100-$150.

With AC, keep the house at 77 during the day and 76 at night.

With heat, keep it at 68 during the day and 64 at night.

ETA -- Average of $148 over last 12 months.

We have a tankless water heater. Our gas bill is $55-65 every month all year long (water heater, stove, one fireplace).

2,000 sf one-story house in FL. Summer bill is $145/mo, the other 3 months are $65/mo

About 4000  sqft, 2 zone AC and propane heat. I have Nest Thermostats that does a GREAT job at keeping us efficient. Here is my last 12 months in kWh and I pay 12.4 cents per kWh

...going backwards:

882 kWh in July (was on vacation 2 weeks)

1006 in June

Between 540 - 700 in May - Jan

1000 for December (Christmas lights)

600 Oct and Nov

1200 last July and August

Offshoot question....what are thoughts on this situation?

Small office of three people....the youngest and person with least seniority takes it upon himself to raise the thermostat without telling anyone....

Reaction?

Offshoot question....what are thoughts on this situation?

Small office of three people....the youngest and person with least seniority takes it upon himself to raise the thermostat without telling anyone....

Reaction?
Fire him. Or sleep with his wife. Or both.

4000 sq ft in West Virginia. Usually set to 75 but will occasionally creep down to 73. My bill hovers around $200 in the summer. 

3150 sq ft. Florida, it’s hot AF here. Bill last month was 500. We keep it on 73-74 during the day as we both work at home a lot. 

Was 200 back in March-April. 

Runs at around $350 in the summer, but I’m in Atlanta and I work from home so I’m running the upstairs and downstairs AC nearly 24/7. 
This is about where we are.

9750 sq feet, something like $895/month for electricity. Not sure of exact amount, gotta ask the help.
It takes a lot of power to cool those tracts of land...

Also Texas.  1900 sq ft.  Next month is our hottest, so it will be around $200.  We keep it at 78 here.

64 degrees is insane.

1730 sq ft, Tampa area. $100-$130/month winter and spring, $210-$230 in summer Thermostat is always set at 74-75

Water is separate, which runs about $40-$60/month consistently.

3500 sq ft in Alabama

Keep the AC at 77, 12 year old system which we might replace soon. 

Just over $200 last month

How do you stand it with thermostat set at 77 or 78 degrees. You've got to be boiling yourselves. I can barely stand it at 74.
When it's 150 degrees and 300% humidity outside, coming in to 78 is like walking through the arctic circle....that said, when acclimated, it's freakin' hot.  We are in central Fl with 4200 square feet....We are in the $600 on average range during the summer with peak bill of almost $800 in the two years we've been here.  We DO need more insulation in our attic space and our systems are older...one is original to the house (2002) and the other is almost 10 years old.

How do you stand it with thermostat set at 77 or 78 degrees. You've got to be boiling yourselves. I can barely stand it at 74.
During the day I think it's fine, but I'm quite surprised at the night numbers I'm seeing. The night number and humidity with no AC are what usually drive our decision to close the windows and turn it on.

Dang, you guys got it good.

I live in Phoenix, and my wife and I like it COLD in the house. If I am watching TV and don't need a "sofa blanket," it's too warm. If I can't use my winter comforter when I sleep, it's too warm.

We keep the thermostat at 68 degrees. 2800 sq ft.

Bill last month was $800.

When it's 150 degrees and 300% humidity outside, coming in to 78 is like walking through the arctic circle....that said, when acclimated, it's freakin' hot.  We are in central Fl with 4200 square feet....We are in the $600 on average range during the summer with peak bill of almost $800 in the two years we've been here.  We DO need more insulation in our attic space and our systems are older...one is original to the house (2002) and the other is almost 10 years old.
There we go! Good to see another $800 bill in here :)

Users who are viewing this thread