What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Americans drink a LOT of crappy beer! (1 Viewer)

I am a crappy mass-produced American beer drinker, but in defense of my country's taste buds that graphic is more about the fact that the crappy beer market is dominated by a handful of products than about taste. If you categorized craft beer as a single product instead of tens of thousands of different ones it would be easily the top-selling beer in America.
Exactly. There are a million great brewers and people who like good beer tend to not necessarily drink the same thing over and over like those who like lighter/####tier beer.

I am a crappy mass-produced American beer drinker, but in defense of my country's taste buds that graphic is more about the fact that the crappy beer market is dominated by a handful of products than about taste. If you categorized craft beer as a single product instead of tens of thousands of different ones it would be easily the top-selling beer in America.
Not really fair to group thousands together and count it as one.  It makes up roughly a quarter of the market.  The top 10 beers which are all fairly crappy tasteless beers are still over half the market.   I would say a good 70% of the beer that Americans drink are pretty bland.  Of course that is true all over the world.  Heineken is not all that much different than Budwieser. 

Not really fair to group thousands together and count it as one.  It makes up roughly a quarter of the market.  The top 10 beers which are all fairly crappy tasteless beers are still over half the market.   I would say a good 70% of the beer that Americans drink are pretty bland.  Of course that is true all over the world.  Heineken is not all that much different than Budwieser. 
I get what you're saying, but craft beer drinkers intentionally drink different beers. Most certainly have a few they prefer and buy more often, but ultimately it's about the sampling. And they won't ever compare with regards to sales because they quite simply won't produce enough. If they did then it may/would impact the finished product.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of water beer sales now vs. 10 years ago and the same with craft beers - would say a whole lot more.

...and water beer still has its place. I usually had a good beer or two to start the day on vacation, but I switched to the water stuff when day drinking on the course or at the beach. The taste buds start to go south like my tolerance did years ago, so sticking with the good stuff just doesn't make sense.

I work out 5-6 days a week and like staying in shape.  I also like drinking beer. I switched 5 years ago to light beer only and will deal with a watery tasting Miller, Coors or Bud light for 95 calories. After awhile you get used to it. If I am going out I will have 6 beers so if I can keep those under 600 calories that is good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When you can get 12 crappy beers for the same price as a 6 pack of local good stuff, you tend to drink more of the crappy stuff when you drink more, and save the good stuff for when you just want one or two. 

Right now in my house I have the remnants of a case of Bud light, a case of Natty light, and a 6 pack of good local Brew. I'll drink the good stuff a couple nights a week, just one, and usually a few cheaper on weekends, probably a couple during the week.  I'm probably pretty typical with beer. 

I do prefer cheap wine, mostly because I won't buy the expensive stuff. 

Decent to good whiskey usually, although I do like the Tennessee honey Jack.

To be fair, if you are golfing and it is 100 degrees out a Modelo will taste pretty great, even if at a bar you will typically order more crafty stuff.

For me: 

When it’s 100 out, drinking poolside, working in the yard, Binging all Sunday at a bar watching football, etc: Miller Lite or Pacifico 

Nice dinner, enjoying a beer or two at night, etc: Craft beer or, more often, a good bourbon neat. 

IMO if I’m drinking for flavor, a nice 100-120pf unfiltered bourbon blows the doors off a craft beer.

Generally craft beers fall in no man’s land where they’re too boring when drinking for flavor, but too heavy for drinking when it’s hot or I’m active. 

It's not just Americans. Most of the rest of the world drinks a lot of crappy beer too as evidenced by Budweiser and Bud Light being #2 & #3 worldwide. Of the top 10 selling brands in the world, InBev owns 6 of them. The #1 selling beer in the world is Snow Lager (which is cheap swill) but it sells like crazy in China. The #2 & #3 there is Tsingtao (state owned) and Budweiser which is considered a "premium" import brand.

I work out 5-6 days a week and like staying in shape.  I also like drinking beer. I switched 5 years ago to light beer only and will deal with a watery tasting Miller, Coors or Bud light for 95 calories. After awhile you get used to it. If I am going out I will have 6 beers so if I can keep those under 600 calories that is good. 

When you can get 12 crappy beers for the same price as a 6 pack of local good stuff, you tend to drink more of the crappy stuff when you drink more, and save the good stuff for when you just want one or two. 

Right now in my house I have the remnants of a case of Bud light, a case of Natty light, and a 6 pack of good local Brew. I'll drink the good stuff a couple nights a week, just one, and usually a few cheaper on weekends, probably a couple during the week.  I'm probably pretty typical with beer. 

I do prefer cheap wine, mostly because I'll buy the expensive stuff. 

Decent to good whiskey usually, although I do like the Tennessee honey Jack.
Came in here to post a combination of these two.  I drink ####ty light beer because I don't want to spend a ton of money and I don't want to be a fatass. 

Tom Servo said:
Did you happen to see that people are still drinking  BUD ICE????
Nope, somehow I missed that. 

I think I had one in college, 20 years ago.

There are times where I opt for something swill-y like PBR.  I'm weird, I know, but I load up a pint glass with a couple lemons and drink that stuff.  Especially on hot afternoons/evenings.

Otherwise, I prefer something like an ale with some flavor to it.

Can't tell you the last time I had a Bud Light, Miller Lite or Coors Light.

It's PBR or nothing if I'm going budget.

🙄 I'll take cheap beer over soda any day.
Not me. Not gonna pay for something I don't like. Plus, last time I drank Bud Light I think it was, I drank about 10 of them, barely had a buzz, and just felt full and bloated. 

People like to get drunk.  Getting drunk on craft beer is probably the worst hangover possible.
I rarely get hangovers from craft beer. When I do it's because I made the mistake of going UP in ABV towards the end of the night. Always start with the stronger stuff and then go lighter to avoid that.

People like to get drunk.  Getting drunk on craft beer is probably the worst hangover possible.
You might be conflating hangover intensity with amount of consumption. Craft beer is typically much higher in ABV, so people get drunk faster and easier on less volume because they don't adjust their consumption amounts or rate of consumption. There's also factors such as there is less water in two 7.5% beers than three 5% beers despite the same amount of alcohol as well as that it takes a person longer to drink 3 than 2 so they are also metabolizing the alcohol at different rates. If you are responsible with your drinking, it doesn't make much difference in hangovers although some folks swear the rice and corn that the big brewers use as adjuncts cause terrible hangovers. I know I personally could not drink any Budweiser products any more once I got in my thirties as I developed an allergy to something they put in their beers, despite their marketing claims that they only use pure ingredients like barley, water, etc.

You might as well say that people like to binge drink, especially Americans. It's a lot easier to binge drink 4.25% beer all day long at a BBQ playing beer pong without getting completely blasted than it is on 6~10% beer which will knock you on your butt if you are chugging it.

The wine people drink is much bigger crap.  Most local wineries in my area only make very sweet wine which tastes more like syrup.  Pretty good if you are making Slushies, but nothing to have with a decent dinner.  

Anybody else tried Budweiser Copper Lager? I was surprised to find it is a decent beer. I have never enjoyed a Budweiser product before.

[icon] said:
For me: 

When it’s 100 out, drinking poolside, working in the yard, Binging all Sunday at a bar watching football, etc: Miller Lite or Pacifico 

Nice dinner, enjoying a beer or two at night, etc: Craft beer or, more often, a good bourbon neat. 

IMO if I’m drinking for flavor, a nice 100-120pf unfiltered bourbon blows the doors off a craft beer.

Generally craft beers fall in no man’s land where they’re too boring when drinking for flavor, but too heavy for drinking when it’s hot or I’m active. 
Excellent post and I agree across the board.  Here's my problem and where I need FBG help.  I have friends who are craft beer fiends.  Think nothing of driving 2 hours in traffic to get the latest IPA from Monkish.  While I enjoy the taste of several of these beers (don't like really hoppy or bitter stuff though) bottom line is I drink one and I want to take a nap.  Majority just feel so damn heavy and it's like insta-bloat.  So therefore I drink more of the Mexican lagers and crappy, tasteless beer.  I'm more of a vodka and red wine guy with a gained appreciation for a nice Blanton's.  But if I'm going to drink a craft beer, what should I be looking for that is on the lighter side and I can have 2-3 without feeling like I'm Cecil Fielder? I tend to gravitate towards Blondes, Lager/Ales/Pilsners but even some of them are heavy for me.  Any you love in the category I'm describing?

...and water beer still has its place. I usually had a good beer or two to start the day on vacation, but I switched to the water stuff when day drinking on the course or at the beach. The taste buds start to go south like my tolerance did years ago, so sticking with the good stuff just doesn't make sense.
this

Users who are viewing this thread