What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Small changes you've made to become better/healthier (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
Recently I've made a conscious change I feel has made me a little "healthier".  When I get home for the day after work/practice I put my phone upstairs on my charger and leave it in the bedroom.  I don't check it again until the next morning. 

It drives my wife nuts especially if she's not home yet. I was never a huge text/phone game person but I have to say I feel less "stressed".

What little things besides diet/excercise have you done to feel better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I walk around my office park twice a day.  Mainly it's just to get away from work but it's gotta be good for me too, right?

When I get home for the day after work/practice I put my phone upstairs on my charger and leave it in the bedroom.  I don't check it again until the next morning. 
I'm not quite this good, but I usually leave it in the bedroom until after kids go to bed. I will keep it on me if my wife isn't home, but that's infrequent.

Sold my car in March and have no plans to get another one.  Wife has a van, son has an old Acrura.  If I need a car, I borrow his, but traffic here is maddening so I walk/train/walk the 12 miles to my office.  Read, listen to music or podcasts and look at all the frustrated people stuck in traffic along the way.  Couldn't be happier.

I walk around my office park twice a day.  Mainly it's just to get away from work but it's gotta be good for me too, right?
It is - don't remember what the study I read yielded, but for maximum productivity you're actually supposed to do exactly that more frequently. Similar thought process to the lunch time workout rather than before or after work. Resets and re-engages your brain.

I guess people missed the "besides diet/exercise" part. 
I think he edited it in, but yeah, I missed it.

I suppose mine is more of a stress reliever than exercising.  It's a 5 mile walk round trip each day, so not really a huge cardio activity.  But my blood pressure is down just avoiding the traffic congestion.

This is good.  Right now and for the next couple of weeks, I also walk back to this area by some train tracks that's used for overflow parking and is just full of wild blackberries.  I pick them daily and enjoy doing that.  They taste great, good for you and it's kind of a fun hobby.  Kids love them too.  I also take all phone calls on my cell and walk around the complex.  Hate having others listen in on my calls.

I retired. Recommend it to everyone. 

Honestly, I've been on blood pressure medicine for the last few years. Struggled to keep it below 140/90. I check it now once or twice a week. Haven't been above 125/70. I'm hoping with some more exercise and better diet, I can stop taking the BP meds. 🤞

Started reading, a lot.

Trying to walk more while listening to podcasts.  Weekends are no problem, do about 5-5.5 miles/day.  Weekdays are tougher because I so love to drive.  May have to move to Portland, or retire.

Yeah I edited in.  I mean everyone knows a good diet and regular excercise will make you healthier.   I didn't mean not counting walking around your office shouldn't count, etc.  I was just meaning the obvious I run 30 miles a week stuff

I retired. Recommend it to everyone. 

Honestly, I've been on blood pressure medicine for the last few years. Struggled to keep it below 140/90. I check it now once or twice a week. Haven't been above 125/70. I'm hoping with some more exercise and better diet, I can stop taking the BP meds. 🤞
My wife retired a few years ago; I've got another 5-6 years or so before I'll feel like it's time.  I'm a university accounting professor (a late-in-life change four years ago), so I have more control and it doesn't feel that stressful.  But over the last several months, despite my active workout routines, my BP has been around that 140/90 mark.  Very frustrating.  I believe I'm letting it all stress me (especially some pressure to get research completed). 

What I need to is get off the computer by 8:30-9:00 pm and have an hour or two to relax with a TV show or read a book, which I love to do.   

I think he edited it in, but yeah, I missed it.

I suppose mine is more of a stress reliever than exercising.  It's a 5 mile walk round trip each day, so not really a huge cardio activity.  But my blood pressure is down just avoiding the traffic congestion.
Ditto.  Walking for 20 minutes at 11:15am and again at 2:40pm isn't going to make me a triathlete.  It's mainly to break up the day and de-stress a bit.

My wife retired a few years ago; I've got another 5-6 years or so before I'll feel like it's time.  I'm a university accounting professor (a late-in-life change four years ago), so I have more control and it doesn't feel that stressful.  But over the last several months, despite my active workout routines, my BP has been around that 140/90 mark.  Very frustrating.  I believe I'm letting it all stress me (especially some pressure to get research completed). 

What I need to is get off the computer by 8:30-9:00 pm and have an hour or two to relax with a TV show or read a book, which I love to do.   
I wish you all the best. It sucks and I didn't realize just how much work stress was a part of it. I would wake up a couple times a night thinking about work. I just couldn't find a way to shut off my thoughts. Truth be told, some of my best ideas came at 3am. I still can't sleep past 6am most days. But, I sleep a lot better. 

Sold my car in March and have no plans to get another one.  Wife has a van, son has an old Acrura.  If I need a car, I borrow his, but traffic here is maddening so I walk/train/walk the 12 miles to my office.  Read, listen to music or podcasts and look at all the frustrated people stuck in traffic along the way.  Couldn't be happier.
What do you do for weather? Walking 5 miles in the rain or snow sux. And you don't want to get to work wet.

I wish you all the best. It sucks and I didn't realize just how much work stress was a part of it. I would wake up a couple times a night thinking about work. I just couldn't find a way to shut off my thoughts. Truth be told, some of my best ideas came at 3am. I still can't sleep past 6am most days. But, I sleep a lot better. 
I don't have work email linked to my phone nor do I have a vpn to login from home.  I'll sporadically get ideas, but without access all I can do is send an email from my personal account to my work account. It's been a tremendous positive when it comes to work stress. Combine that with a good enough diet and plenty of exercise then it leads to a better night of sleep...and each one of those things either works for or against the other.

I walk 3.5 miles round-trip to/from work. Read every night.

The minute something that should be fun stresses me out I try to cut down on it--in this category, I cut all but my favorite two dynasty FF leagues last year. 

Make time for tabletop/boardgame night once a week with friends--something to look forward to in the middle of the week that feels more productive than looking at a screen. 

Stepped back from inconveniencing myself for toxic family members that just drag me down. In a similar vein, stopped allowing myself to feel bad/stressed about not seeing people who don't put equal effort into the relationship. It was a surprisingly easy and effective switch to flip.

Keep not having kids and not getting married. Just focus on being happy day to day in my ten year relationship. 

I really want to cut out energy drinks (avg 2-3 a week) but I don't drink coffee so it's tough.

What do you do for weather? Walking 5 miles in the rain or snow sux. And you don't want to get to work wet.
Mild climate.  Unless the rain is coming down sideways (which is uncommon) I'll wear a rain jacket, put my head down and book it.  I walk pretty fast.  Mile from my house to the train, 17 minute train ride, 1.5 miles to the office so I can manage.  Snow is very uncommon and there's been days where it snowed, I couldn't drive and I walked/train/walked to work with ease.

I also can wear whatever I want in the office, have a shower here if we need it and can change clothes if I'm soaked.  

I gave up caffeine about 5 years ago.  That helped my BP and sleep.  

I have cut way back on alcohol in the last couple of years.   Most weeks, I don't drink and if I do drink, it's only one.   On special occasions every few months, I may have 3 drinks.  My sleep improved and I dropped a couple of pounds.  

I walk the dog about one mile almost every morning.  It's not much exercise but it's relaxing to be outside strolling.  I only skip if it's raining, below 15 degrees, or I'm out of town for work.   The dog won't let me skip easily at this point. 

I walk the dog about one mile almost every morning.  It's not much exercise but it's relaxing to be outside strolling.  I only skip if it's raining, below 15 degrees, or I'm out of town for work.   The dog won't let me skip easily at this point. 
If I may ask, could you elaborate on the “skip” that you do?

I gave up caffeine about 5 years ago.  That helped my BP and sleep.  

I have cut way back on alcohol in the last couple of years.   Most weeks, I don't drink and if I do drink, it's only one.   On special occasions every few months, I may have 3 drinks.  My sleep improved and I dropped a couple of pounds.  

Same here. Helps a lot. 

If I may ask, could you elaborate on the “skip” that you do?
there is an entire subreddit dedicated to the benefit of skipping over walking. Apparently the alignment of the bones structure in humans legs supports skipping naturally.  It really is eye opening. You should give it a try.  

Breathing. I inhale really deeply through my nose, then hold it for 7 seconds, then exhale forcefully for 8 seconds, trying to bring my belly button back to my spine. I repeat it like 10 times. It's a really good stress reliever, and way better than smoking cigarettes.

Ride the bike at least 15 miles 4-5 times a week. Take 2-3 nights a week off from drinking. Ease off the bourbon a bit. Make myself get out of town once every few weeks.

there is an entire subreddit dedicated to the benefit of skipping over walking. Apparently the alignment of the bones structure in humans legs supports skipping naturally.  It really is eye opening. You should give it a try.  
My stepdad used to lope.

Really cut back on the social media the past year.  Amazing how much time I wasted arguing with idiots or scrolling just b/c I was bored.  
You know what George Bernard Shaw said — ‘Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.’ 

Users who are viewing this thread