What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ice Raid Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
ICE raids on Mississippi food processing plants result in 680 arrests.  I guess that's 680 more jobs for Mississippi citizens. 

I'm glad the administration is protecting us from the violent, criminal illegals who sneak into our country and mind their own business while working in a productive job.
I also think it's great to open up 680 factory jobs for American citizens.  The 680 arrested were here illegally and doesn't deserve those jobs over Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice of those sneaky rapists,drug dealers and killers to congregate together while hiding out in their den of iniquity!  Criminal geniuse tto rival only Wile E Coyote.

ICE raids on Mississippi food processing plants result in 680 arrests.  I guess that's 680 more jobs for Mississippi citizens. 
In Trump country. News alert, the business owner hired those people because they work for less and because they wanted the jobs.  Whatever may happen to those people, that business will take a hit and so will whatever MS jobs that plant provides to the town.

This is a stupidly symbolic arrest that does absolutely nothing to stem the tide that is our changing workforce and the face of that force.

This is where I really part ways with the administration, for all that are wondering. Exactly garbage like this. Wait until the ICE starts invading New York restaurants. I mean, it's stupid all the way across.

I don't think there are 650 jobs saved today. The guy won't hire 650 people with health insurance off of the books. Ridiculous. 

John Ratcliffe had way more arrested than that in a single day.

ICE arrested hundreds of people in raids. Now ‘devastated’ children are without their parents.

Excerpt:

Angie wasn’t the only child without a parent in Mississippi on Wednesday, according to local reports. Many children didn’t have a loved one or family friend to go home to. Some walked home from school but were locked out because their parents were detained in the raid.

Volunteers set up a makeshift shelter for the children at a local gym, WJTV’s Alex Love reported. There was food, “but most children are still devastated and crying for their parents and can’t eat,” Love said on Twitter.

Buddy, it's Forest MS. That company is going to cut back operations, it ain't replacing those jobs.
if they do replace those jobs it will be with the same number of undocumented immigrants.  Maybe less but not much less

What I would love is for this sleazy owners to just come out and admit what we all know and that they hire these undocumented immigrants BECAUSE THEY WORK HARDER

Do some in this thread not know the difference between legal and illegal? Just mind boggling.
I think everybody knows the difference. The question is one of how much investigative and monetary capital was spent busting this business and deporting these people. Most of us are arguing that both for humanity's sake and for cost's sake, that this was an action that should not have been undertaken and the laws should be unenforced -- unless somebody tipped them off and there was mass persistence about it. 

if they do replace those jobs it will be with the same number of undocumented immigrants.  Maybe less but not much less

What I would love is for this sleazy owners to just come out and admit what we all know and that they hire these undocumented immigrants BECAUSE THEY WORK HARDER
This is the kind of thing on the left or in other pragmatic circles I also disagree with. This thread is rife with things with which I disagree.

Detroit man dies after deportation because of lack of insulin

The man, 41-year-old Jimmy Aldaoud, was an Iraqi national who was born in Greece, but came to the U.S. when he was a child, Politico reports. He had never lived in Iraq and did not speak Arabic, but was deported amid the Trump Administration’s immigration crackdown.

Edward Bajoka, an immigration lawyer and self-described close friend of the family, wrote on Facebook that Aldaoud was found dead on Wednesday. The cause of death appeared to be linked to an inability to get insulin for diabetes, according to Bajoka.

This is the kind of thing on the left or in other pragmatic circles I also disagree with. This thread is rife with things with which I disagree.
So you really believe that within the next year that those 680 plus jobs or even 80% of them will be replaced by local citizens needing a job?    I guess we will find out

Are these 680 people being paid under fake/stolen social security numbers and are taxes/social security being deducted?  This is where I get confused about this stuff.

I think everybody knows the difference. The question is one of how much investigative and monetary capital was spent busting this business and deporting these people. Most of us are arguing that both for humanity's sake and for cost's sake, that this was an action that should not have been undertaken and the laws should be unenforced -- unless somebody tipped them off and there was mass persistence about it. 
All due respect, GB, but I think I'd phrase the question this way: why is our government engaging in pointless acts of obvious cruelty and inhumanity, and why are a large percentage of Americans apparently OK with it?

Anyone who has taken a history class knows that "it's the law!" has never ever proven to be an adequate defense to state-administered acts of cruelty that victimize oppressed minorities who have done no harm.

What lessons were learned from Postville, the kosher meat plant in Iowa that was busted in 2008? A billionaire from Canada brought the plant and it's back in business, supposedly paying more than minimum. 

But seriously. If the Trumper's are so angry about "illegals taking their jurbs" then they should be demanding harsh punishments from companies that do that. Something tells me they don't care THAT much.
If they put the owners of businesses that hired hundreds of undocumented workers in prison they's stop doing it. Of course passing laws that put members of the donor class in prison isn't a good strategy if you care about getting re-elected.

All due respect, GB, but I think I'd phrase the question this way: why is our government engaging in pointless acts of obvious cruelty and inhumanity, and why are a large percentage of Americans apparently OK with it?

Anyone who has taken a history class knows that "it's the law!" has never ever proven to be an adequate defense to state-administered acts of cruelty that victimize oppressed minorities who have done no harm.
There are differing ways to come to consensus, then. As a kind of aside: I remember when the "rule of law" was being touted as sacrosanct and inviolable -- so much so that it became an Al Gore catchphrase for mockery -- by the Democratic Party, circa 2000-2008.

But that's ascribing you a position that you might not have ever held, GB. And if you didn't, I'll take your point and agree in spirit, but also I would note that there are fine lines to draw and a huge theoretical debate to have about the virtue of following positive law vs. the virtue of civil disobedience or non-enforcement of said laws. 

I personally have not worked out that matrix in my head yet. It's more of a Potter Stewart approach I have. 

Is this what you want to see happen ?
I know you're talking to Bucky86, but let me interject. If we're going to prosecute this to the full extent of the law, Bucky86 may be looking for a severe penalty for the man responsible for the illegals being able to work and procure a salary, yes. These laws are there for a reason, the argument goes, and should be prosecuted within sentencing guidelines that are established by the legislatures and adhered to by courts. Or at court discretion, either way.

But that's me interjecting and I think that's where he's coming from. 

The man, 41-year-old Jimmy Aldaoud, was an Iraqi national who was born in Greece, but came to the U.S. when he was a child, Politico reports. He had never lived in Iraq and did not speak Arabic, but was deported amid the Trump Administration’s immigration crackdown.

Edward Bajoka, an immigration lawyer and self-described close friend of the family, wrote on Facebook that Aldaoud was found dead on Wednesday. The cause of death appeared to be linked to an inability to get insulin for diabetes, according to Bajoka.
This story was posted in another thread, and it's infuriatingly making the rounds on social media.  For some reason, nearly every news article on this omits the fact that this guy was a convicted criminal and was deported for that reason.  That is a hugely important piece of information that completely changes things.  My position on immigration is not that far removed from open borders, and I have no problem with this deportation.

Aldaoud faced serious health problems, Bajoka said. In addition to diabetes, he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and struggled to live a normal life. His run-ins with the law were primarily due to his mental illness, said Bajoka, who never represented Aldaoud in court. The most serious came in 2012 when Aldaoud, described as homeless in local media reports, broke into a garage and stole power tools. He served 17 months on that home invasion conviction, Politico reported, and had a separate conviction for disorderly conduct.

He wasn’t a U.S. citizen, so those criminal convictions made him eligible to be deported. For decades, Iraq had refused to accept deportations from the United States — but that all changed in June 2017. As part of a deal to escape President Trump’s travel ban against a host of majority-Muslim nations, Reuters reported, Iraq agreed to accept deportees. More than 100 Iraqis with criminal records were arrested that month by ICE, mostly in Detroit.
Link

While I'm sure they are good workers, it's about cheap labor.

I was like 17 when I got my first glimpse of this working at a pizza shop.

Soon after hiring undocumented guy my boss tells me:

"Hey, don't tell anyone here how much you make. It's none of their business."

If they put the owners of businesses that hired hundreds of undocumented workers in prison they's stop doing it. Of course passing laws that put members of the donor class in prison isn't a good strategy if you care about getting re-elected.
The last raid on a meat processing plant did result in a jail sentence for the owner. 

Are these 680 people being paid under fake/stolen social security numbers and are taxes/social security being deducted?  This is where I get confused about this stuff.
Not sure yet. I believe it was 680 people from 6-7 plants in multiple cities. 

ETA: from NYT article...

In statements, both poultry processors said they utilized E-Verify, a government electronic system designed to confirm that employees are eligible to work in the United States.

Immigrants eager for work traditionally have used fake Social Security numbers and green cards to secure jobs. But those do not pass E-Verify. Thus, in recent years, more immigrants have resorted to using the identities of legal United States residents, the identities of dead citizens, or the Social Security numbers of their American-born children to pass the electronic verification program.
Not sure if true or what happened here.

So which is it?  Are illegal immigrants taking Americans’ jobs or are they mostly criminals and freeloaders who are here for free healthcare?
Both.

Name a problem you have, they're the cause!

This is Scapegoating 101.

This story was posted in another thread, and it's infuriatingly making the rounds on social media.  For some reason, nearly every news article on this omits the fact that this guy was a convicted criminal and was deported for that reason.  That is a hugely important piece of information that completely changes things.  My position on immigration is not that far removed from open borders, and I have no problem with this deportation.

Link
I agree that should be part of the story but the two crimes don't seem all that serious.

Not sure yet. I believe it was 680 people from 6-7 plants in multiple cities. 

ETA: from NYT article...

Not sure if true or what happened here.
If people can get around E-Verify by using dead people's socials, we have serious problems with E-Verify.  I would really like to see this stuff fixed someday.  

I agree that should be part of the story but the two crimes don't seem all that serious.
Are you kidding me. He is here illegally, then commits 2 crimes, one of which he stole from someone. Hey everyone it's America, come on in, we don't care about anyone obeying the law. Good lord, wake up. OBEY THE LAW, why is that so hard for people to understand. 

I would be hesitant to recommend Atty Bajoka to anyone needing an immigration lawyer

Are you kidding me. He is here illegally, then commits 2 crimes, one of which he stole from someone. Hey everyone it's America, come on in, we don't care about anyone obeying the law. Good lord, wake up. OBEY THE LAW, why is that so hard for people to understand. 
I literally violate the law every day of my life without any legal consequences.  So do millions of other people.  Just saying "OBEY THE LAW" isn't a particularly convincing argument to me.

Black people residing outside of designated areas was against the law in South Africa for decades.   Miscegenation in America was against the law for decades.  Practicing Judaism, conducting business as a Jew, and various other activities by Jews were against the law in pre-WWII Germany. Sodomy was against the law in most of America for decades.

"They broke the law" has never ever been a legitimate defense to obviously cruel and immoral government action that oppress minorities who had done no harm.  People who are making that argument may want to consider the company they put themselves in when they do so.

Users who are viewing this thread