What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Gary Oldman's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Sid - Sid and Nancy

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Joe - ##### up your ears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosencrantz - Rosencrantz and Guildenstein are dead

• Lee Harvey Oswald - JFK

• Dracula - Brams Stokers Dracula

• Stansfield - The Professional

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Zorg - The Fifth Element

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Sirius Black - Harry Potter Movies

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Gordon - Batman movies

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Dr. Zachary Smith - Lost in Space

• Dreyfuss - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

• Winston Churchill - Darkest Hour

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Other

• Total voters
Nah, it ain't white boy day

I tell this story often. I remember sitting down to watch True Romance with someone who'd never seen it before. Being Los Angeles, we're tuned in to the film industry, so I had mentioned that this was an all-star cast that would be way to expensive to assemble in the modern day. The opening credits list Gandolfini, Pitt, Walken, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson, all big names today.

Right when Clarence leaves for LA, the friend I'm watching with noted who among that great cast is dead so far in the film... "So that's it for Samuel L Jackson, Dennis Hopper...?" I said "Yeah, and Gary Oldman too." 

"Wait, I missed him, who was he in the movie!?"

I turned and flatly said "...the pimp". The look of complete shock on her face as it clicked was priceless. 

Years later, I'm watching with someone else who'd never seen the movie before. Right at the same point, when Clarence's convertible is driving cross country, I pause to tell the story. Halfway through, the person I'm sitting with says "Wait, Gary Oldman was in the movie already?!" I couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, that's exactly what the other person said last time. He was the pimp!"

"Holy ####### ####!"
And Oldman goes on to play Winston Churchill about 25 years later! This actor has some serious range.

He was really menacing in Dracula. But, whenever I see that vampire's name, I chuckle. Because I think of this classic joke from Mitch Hedberg:

"I went to the doctor. All he did was suck blood from my neck. Do not go see Dr. Acula".

And it is never a bad thing to think of the genius of Mitch Hedberg.

Drexel was the first thing I thought of, second was Sid

also took me about 8 seasons of shameless to realize the same actress that played Nancy in that movie plays Monica in Shameless 

northern exposure said:
I never fully appreciated the work of Philip Seymour Hoffman until I saw him in "Along Came Polly". Not the best movie, but he was hilarious in it.
Great in that and Boogie Nights

Users who are viewing this thread