What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jarrett Stidham, DEN (1 Viewer)

Every time I hear narratives about Bill Belichick and how X player said something that rubbed him the wrong way, so Y scenario is likely, I just remind myself that BB is a soulless robot who will do exactly what’s needed to win football games, every single time a decision is necessary.

So all those anecdotes acknowledged, if BB believes Cam Newton can win football games, Cam Newton can go on WEEI or The Sports Hub & say BB’s wife & kids are ugly & Tom Brady sucks, and BB will 

1. say “no decision had been made and things would be decided on the practice field.” 

and

2. start whomever he believes will help the New England Patriots win football games.

Everything else is white noise & media narratives trying to make a story. 
And the reverse is also true. If he thinks Jarret Stidham, Brian Hoyer, or an UDFA is the best option for Week 1, then he will play whomever that is. Similarly, if another option is better for Week 2, then he will play that guy instead. Ask Malcolm Butler or Jonas Gray how things can change in a week.

None of that is really going to change that someone or multiple people other than Tom Brady will be taking first team reps with what should be an offense with limited talent, some pieces that opted out, in a preseason without practice. There is no denying that a healthy Cam that has a sense of whatever offense would be in line to be the starter. Except no one knows how healthy Cam is and how well he is grasping whatever the playbook is. For NE's sake, maybe Cam is all systems go in both areas. Nobody knows, not even BB at this point. SHOULD Cam end up as the starter. Yup. But I, for one, am not going to sit here and say that that is a done deal.

And the reverse is also true. If he thinks Jarret Stidham, Brian Hoyer, or an UDFA is the best option for Week 1, then he will play whomever that is. Similarly, if another option is better for Week 2, then he will play that guy instead. Ask Malcolm Butler or Jonas Gray how things can change in a week.
and if that’s the case, you’ll see Cam get cut.  I can foresee no possible scenario where Cam is kept as a backup. 

None of that is really going to change that someone or multiple people other than Tom Brady will be taking first team reps with what should be an offense with limited talent, some pieces that opted out, in a preseason without practice. There is no denying that a healthy Cam that has a sense of whatever offense would be in line to be the starter. Except no one knows how healthy Cam is and how well he is grasping whatever the playbook is. For NE's sake, maybe Cam is all systems go in both areas. Nobody knows, not even BB at this point. SHOULD Cam end up as the starter. Yup. But I, for one, am not going to sit here and say that that is a done deal.
I think most are saying Cam is the expected starter, and if that changes we’ll likely know by his release. 

that seems like a pretty reasonable expectation. 

and if that’s the case, you’ll see Cam get cut.  I can foresee no possible scenario where Cam is kept as a backup. 

I think most are saying Cam is the expected starter, and if that changes we’ll likely know by his release. 

that seems like a pretty reasonable expectation. 
Why would the Patriots cut Cam if they don't start him? He is on an incentive based contract and would seemingly miss most incentives not being the starter.  Cheap veteran backup.

Why would the Patriots cut Cam if they don't start him? He is on an incentive based contract and would seemingly miss most incentives not being the starter.  Cheap veteran backup.
I’m basing this on the widely held perception that he would not be a good soldier were he beat out by Stidham. 

especially after the statements he’s made that @Anarchy99 mentioned. 

He would potentially be a difficult locker room presence, which BB has shown an intolerance for in the past. 

Not saying it’s guaranteed, and Cam may have a new level of maturity or may have been humbled by his offseason experience, but it’s a fair guess based on his history. 

The bolded is and always will be the case.

Is there a greater than zero chance that Stidham starts over Newton? Yup, but I only see it happening in 2 scenarios, one where Newton just can't get comfortable with the playbook (i doubt this since i think they will scheme a lot for him, but many accomplished vets have come here and been unable to grasp the playbook). Two Stidham just plays so well and Newton doesn't that they go with him (Stidham), probably even unlikelier than # one.

Newton is overwhelming favorite to start imho. 
You left out the other scenario . . . Cam is not 100% health-wise and is not the same guy anymore. The last time he's played really well was a season and a half ago, and since then he's had foot and shoulder injuries and surgeries. So we have no way of knowing if Cam can run the same, if he can throw the same, or if he can take all the hits that he used to. All of those are important things to have a high degree of confidence on, don't you think?

Many people are just automatically suggesting NE is getting the running superstar that was part QB, part RB and a nightmare to defend. There's a reason 31 other teams didn't sign him. There's a reason HIS OWN TEAM didn't want him back. Sure, I'd love BB and JM to be able to mold Cam into a superhuman beast again and into an MVP candidate in a career revival . . . but we haven't seen Cam play like that in a decent amount of time (early 2018).

I have never bought into a PLAYER X will be extra, extra motivated storyline for anyone. Players careers are short, and they need to take that approach all the time. They should not need extra motivation to PROVE EVERYONE WRONG. So IMO, Cam can either play at a high level again or he can't. Posting on social media will not make Cam a better football player. And IMO there is certainly a decent percentage chance that he won't come anywhere near the 45 TD's he accounted for in 2015. But from the media coverage I have seen, apparently that's the guy NE will be getting . . . not the one that accounted for 24 total TD in 2016. Why is 2015 more likely to repeat itself than 2016?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m basing this on the widely held perception that he would not be a good soldier were he beat out by Stidham. 

especially after the statements he’s made that @Anarchy99 mentioned. 

He would potentially be a difficult locker room presence, which BB has shown an intolerance for in the past. 

Not saying it’s guaranteed, and Cam may have a new level of maturity or may have been humbled by his offseason experience, but it’s a fair guess based on his history. 
Lost in the discussion here is if Stidham were to beat out Cam, then JS should be viewed as legit and not some 4th round pick that threw an ugly pick six. As crazy as it sounds, IMO, the Patriots would be better off short term and long term if Stidham beat out Cam (Stidham would be dirt cheap the next two seasons). To be clear, I don't think that will happen, but there is part of me that thinks there is a chance that it could.

IMO, if Cam does win the job and is the starter this season, I am also of the mindset that NE is not winning the SB this year no matter who the QB is. Give them Lamar or Mahomes and they still wouldn't win. So Cam plays, maybe they make the playoffs, and then Cam moves on. I don't see BB franchising Newton, nor do I see them paying him what Cam would want for a contract. BB is just not a let's-pay-the-QB-the-going-market-price kind of a guy (at least so far). So a year from now, NE still would need a QB, no one would know if JS could play, and then what? I don't see a path for them to be so bad that they get a Top 5 pick to take one of the blue chip college QBs. So if 2020 NE QB = Cam Newton, 2021 NE QB = ????

Maybe BB really is the coach for the ages and CAN get the 2020 team to be competitive and make a deep playoff run. (Although I don't see how that is possible this year.) As I have outlined in other threads, I think all the guys that opted out will give NE even move cap flexibility next year, so they should be back to being relevant and in the hunt for real in 2021. Maybe I am crazy, but it might be nice to already have your QB when you go player shopping to upgrade the offense.

Given that there have been no games with Stidham or Newton at QB for New England, there is really nothing to show what to expect for the NE offense moving forward for this year (and beyond). All we really know is what they did with TB12 . . . and he's not there.

Put me in the if Cam isn't starting he will not be a happy camper camp and will ask for his release.
Put me in the camp if Cam doesn't start, BB will find a team that has a starting QB get hurt or catches COVID with complications. He would then trade Cam for what turns out to be a big piece in the future (A draft pick? A young guy that they liked that doesn't play much on that team? A disgruntled established player?) Or maybe he packages Cam and Thuney and gets a decent young player or draft pick back and frees up another $10+ million in cap room. Cam on the deal he has is worth a decent amount (depending upon when we are talking on the league calendar).

Put me in the camp if Cam doesn't start, BB will find a team that has a starting QB get hurt or catches COVID with complications. He would then trade Cam for what turns out to be a big piece in the future (A draft pick? A young guy that they liked that doesn't play much on that team? A disgruntled established player?) Or maybe he packages Cam and Thuney and gets a decent young player or draft pick back and frees up another $10+ million in cap room. Cam on the deal he has is worth a decent amount (depending upon when we are talking on the league calendar).
Meh, maybe, but if Cam can't beat out Stidham how much can he possibly be worth? I don't have much to go on other than a gut feeling BB likes\respects Cam and would not give him a terribly hard time if he wanted out. 

Meh, maybe, but if Cam can't beat out Stidham how much can he possibly be worth? I don't have much to go on other than a gut feeling BB likes\respects Cam and would not give him a terribly hard time if he wanted out. 
There is incentive for them to play Cam. He plays well and signs elsewhere they get a third round compensation pick.

If you have a battle and you can’t decide because you like both it is easy to pick a former mvp that can earn reward of third round pick.

On Thuney, I wonder if we hear he’s gonna work out at tackle in camp.  

It is also easy to say of two guys who are fairly equal and playing well, that one is 31, oft-injured and probably deteriorating both healthwise and athletically from suffering the most solid hits taken by any QB in the last decade and the other is a 24 year old kid playing just as well who may be the future of the franchise, or at least someone you'd better find out whether he might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also easy to say of two guys who are fairly equal and playing well, that one is 31, oft-injured and probably deteriorating both healthwise and athletically from suffering the most solid hits taken by any QB in the last decade and the other is a 24 year old kid playing just as well who may be the future of the franchise, or at least someone you'd better find out whether he might be.
I feel like “playing just as well” as the former MVP veteran is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.  

it’s a big assumption is what I’m saying. Stidham & Newton, sifting in the film room, tasked with breaking down defenses. Who’s better, and is it close? 

The idea that Stidham is going to be just as good as Cam, even if Can is diminished from what he once was, seems unrealistic. 

Blackbear said, "If you have a battle and you can’t decide because you like both ..."  it would be easy to pick Cam. I wasn't saying they will be equal (although I think BB was prepared to go into the season with only Stidham and Hoyer and really likes the kid), but that if they ARE equal it will be far better for the team to look to the future than fill a gap with Cam and be back in this uncertainty next year (even with a 3rd round draft pick gained).

Blackbear said, "If you have a battle and you can’t decide because you like both ..."  it would be easy to pick Cam. I wasn't saying they will be equal (although I think BB was prepared to go into the season with only Stidham and Hoyer and really likes the kid), but that if they ARE equal it will be far better for the team to look to the future than fill a gap with Cam and be back in this uncertainty next year (even with a 3rd round draft pick gained).
Ok, that makes more sense. I see what you’re saying. 

man, so many narratives with the Pats. I’m inclined to go with the narrative that “of the Pats were that high on Stidham, why would they bring in Cam?”

Eveey time I ask that question, I come back to “because Stidham may not be that good”; and I Really wouldn’t expect BB to come out an say that. He’s kind of a close to the vest sorta dude. 

Certainly for security. And because he cost just over 35 cents. I agree that Cam will play if he gives them the better chance to win, which he probably will. My expectation is that injuries, slipping production or just wanting to see what Stidham can do when/if they are out of the playoff race (if any of those happen) will let BB play the kid and learn what he needs to about his play under pressure. Until then, like all young QBs, the chance to work with and watch a former MVP will make him better (although perhaps not as much as the chance to  sit and watch TB did). 

I think you can introduce a QB too soon as well. Maybe a recent example is Rosen? Probably there are many. You want him to have mastered the playbook, read defenses, and make adjustments presnap. Then reading the defense as it unfolds and knowing how your routes will be run against leverage.  I bet most QBs are incapable of that with one year with only one set of preseason games under their belt. I don’t agree putting Stidham in their is a no brainer even if both appear equal in practice. Something to be said for having a guy that has proven he can lead a team, lead the huddle, call audibles, etc... 

hold stidham in dynasty, but let's not be silly. cam will start and play every snap. a 2019 4th rd rookie nor a career backup is not going to unseat him

hold stidham in dynasty, but let's not be silly. cam will start and play every snap. a 2019 4th rd rookie nor a career backup is not going to unseat him
I don't think it is quite as simple as that. If Cam were still on the Panthers, then sure that makes sense. But Cam was not an incumbent in NE and is trying to pick up an offense in a matter of weeks when half of the time they were not even practicing. By all accounts, he is showing the expected growing pains of not fully grasping the offense, freezing up when he doesn't know what to do, having guys zig when he expected them to zag, and throwing check downs a lot when he is unsure what he should do. Stidham has had a year plus worked with a lot of the offense, practiced all the time last year, has a much better grasp of the playbook, and is practicing with confidence and has been decisive.

Maybe in a few weeks Cam figures things out, Stidham looks like he isn't an NFL starter, and Hoyer shows his limitations. BB doesn't care what round a guy was drafted, how much anyone is paid, or what anyone else thinks. He is going to play the guy that he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. Newtown is currently on the longest losing streak out of any QB in the NFL right now. It's not like he is coming off an MVP year and has been perfectly healthy. I don't know what the chances are that Cam is the clear starter and will play every snap this year. I promise you neither of those answers is anywhere close to 100% (is Newton the clear started and will he play every snap).

ESPN's Mike Reiss has charted Patriots QB Jarrett Stidham as throwing six interceptions through the team's first four practices.

In other words, "yikes." Cam Newton's signing supposedly had "nothing to do" with Stidham, but the second-year fourth-rounder was going to have to put on a show to challenge his veteran teammate this summer, and it is not happening. Even with Newton apparently not popping in practice, Stidham seems to have little chance at beating him out. 

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter 

Aug 20, 2020, 6:58 PM ET

Too bad that can’t explain his horrible performance in practice so far

Edited: the link says it’ll be several weeks before he’s 100%, not that he will miss several weeks
Yeah, there is a lot of confusion over what is up with Stidham. I have seen and heard different things between online and on the radio. On the radio they mentioned he COULD miss a lot of time. And then Josh McDaniels said Stidham would be at the next practice but did not elaborate what that meant. Either way, whatever is going on is not helping his candidacy. 

Jarrett Stidham completed 5-of-13 passes for 60 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in New England's 26-10 Week 4 loss to Kansas City.

Stidham replaced Brian Hoyer in the fourth quarter but it didn't help. The 24-year-old locked onto N'Keal Harry to move the ball but inevitably tossed the second and third interception of his young career in relief; one was admittedly on Julian Edelman, who dropped the ball directly into Tyrann Mathieu's lap for a pick-six. Tonight's performance only proved that no Patriots wideout is playable until Cam Newton (COVID) returns.

Oct 5, 2020, 9:39 PM ET

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports Jarrett Stidham is expected to start if Cam Newton (reserve/COVID-19) isn't cleared for Week 5 against the Broncos.

Newton hasn't practiced all week and would need clear protocols the next two days to have a chance to play Monday. That seems unlikely, but the Patriots have yet to rule him out. Stidham was only slightly better than Brian Hoyer after coming off the bench in Week 4, throwing for a touchdown and pair of interceptions while completing just 38 percent of his passes. Even against a middling Broncos secondary, Stidham won't be a streaming option if he starts.

RELATED: 

Brian Hoyer

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Oct 10, 2020, 10:32 AM ET

Just a reminder that hoyer didn't find out he was starting until Saturday last weekend, stidham was third string, and neither got to be in the practice facility with their teammates once newton tested positive.  Hard to judge a player on those criteria.  

Just a reminder that hoyer didn't find out he was starting until Saturday last weekend, stidham was third string, and neither got to be in the practice facility with their teammates once newton tested positive.  Hard to judge a player on those criteria.  
I am not really sure much changed this week. NE didn't hold practice until this morning and only plan a walk through for tomorrow. Whatever game plan they have been working on was installed remotely.

As I just mentioned in the Cam thread, Newton should be allowed to play Monday but the league needs to approve it. Why have a stated policy and then go against it? The bigger question is if NE would choose to hold him out if he is cleared.

From what I have heard, BB was LIVID at Hoyer and some media folks openly wondered if he would have been released if not for the Cam COID situation. The talking heads suggest that there is no way Hoyer will start again.

Jarrett Stidham completed 6-of-10 passes for 64 yards and an interception in the Patriots' 33-6 Week 7 loss to the 49ers. 

With Stidham in, the Patriots were trying to bleed to clock to a merciful end in the blowout loss. Still, Stidham was jumpy and unsure in the pocket, often firing into double coverage. If there are any answers for the Pats' offensive woes, it's not Stidham. He should only be rostered in deep superflex formats. 

Oct 25, 2020, 8:53 PM ET

Jarret Stidham completed just 4-of-11 passes for 44 yards in relief of a benched Cam Newton in the Patriots' Week 16 loss to the Bills.

Stidham replaced an ineffective Cam with over eight minutes to play in the third quarter and wasn't any better in relief. Still, Newton has been awful as a passer much of the season, and it wouldn't be a shock to see Stidham get the Week 17 nod against the Jets, even if he obviously isn't the long-term answer in New England.

Dec 28, 2020, 11:22 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread