What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Interest In A Footballguys Facebook Group? (1 Viewer)

Do you have interest in a Footballguys Facebook Group?

• Very Interested

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • A Little Interested

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Not Very Interested

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Not Interested At All

Votes: 51 48.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
We've had a Footballguys Facebook Page for a while. But now most things seem to be moving to Facebook Groups that have a better integration with the user's newsfeed.

I realize if you're reading this, you likely prefer a message board format but thought I'd ask: Do you have interest in a Footballguys Facebook Group?

FB is still a thing? I know it’s still huge but other than cross-posting from IG & Twitter none of my friends are on it. IG & SnapChat content dwarfs what my RL crew is posting to FB or Twitter.

@Joe Bryant - I’ve never looked at the Footballguys YT channel; I know it exists because it gets mentioned on The Audible or On The Couch. I noticed Harris Football & Fantasy Football Advice have dedicated content on YT. I’ll watch them because I know it’s not just a simulcast of the pod. Waldman for awhile was utilizing IG to give film breakdown, it wasn’t consistent but I really enjoyed it.  

Content is king IME. I’m not all that interested in creating / maintaining virtual connections, I have enough RL friendships to nurture. But I may be in the minority here . 

:shrug:

There is an electric football  forum site that was great at one time, only to be replaced by Facebook.   Now that site is a graveyard because all previous posters now use the Facebook group.   I detest Facebook for political reasons and refuse to use it.

A sure fire way to cause the ruination of footballguys is to introduce Facebook to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an electric football  forum site that was great at one time, only to be replaced by Facebook.   Now that site is a graveyard because all previous posters now use the Facebook group.   I detest Facebook for political reasons and refuse to use it.

A sure fire way to cause the ruination of footballguys is to introduce Facebook to it.
Thanks JohnnyU. Lots of people won't use it. It's just one more channel to reach folks. I dont' think it's the ruination as we've been using Facebook for Footballguys for many years. The only thing new is kicking around the idea of Facebook Groups to go with the Facebook Page we've had for a long time. 

I doubt it'll have any effect here on this forum as the Facebook Page hasn't had any. 

Just what I want... to see what footballguys posters are having for lunch, whatntheir kid did that day, or what trip they are on. 

I'll pass on FakeBook

FB is still a thing? I know it’s still huge but other than cross-posting from IG & Twitter none of my friends are on it. IG & SnapChat content dwarfs what my RL crew is posting to FB or Twitter.

@Joe Bryant - I’ve never looked at the Footballguys YT channel; I know it exists because it gets mentioned on The Audible or On The Couch. I noticed Harris Football & Fantasy Football Advice have dedicated content on YT. I’ll watch them because I know it’s not just a simulcast of the pod. Waldman for awhile was utilizing IG to give film breakdown, it wasn’t consistent but I really enjoyed it.  

Content is king IME. I’m not all that interested in creating / maintaining virtual connections, I have enough RL friendships to nurture. But I may be in the minority here . 

:shrug:
Only about a billion users..... I think I would call that a thing. Lol

Just what I want... to see what footballguys posters are having for lunch, what their kid did that day, or what trip they are on. 
That's not how it works. Unless you choose to friend them, you wouldn't see any of their posts. Just what what they post in the FBG group.
I'm a maybe and it would also depend on how the group is set up. I don't like seeing friends group posts in my feed and don't want my posts in a group to show up in my friends' feeds if they are not a member of the group..

I think it's a good idea. As has been pointed out, Facebook has a billion users. It would start of with just the regulars on there at first. But if was a place of great fantasy content / entertainment, it would be easy for people to recommend to their friends and family (since it's on Facebook).

On paper, it wouldn't really have any perk over the forum except the fact that anonymity would be thrown to the wayside. Which, if anything might cause people to be more civil. Worst case scenario it fizzles out. It would be interesting to have a stream of consciousness under those conditions.

Would be a bit strange to see real names rather than usernames/avatars, but I’d be up for it. Would definitely want it to be a private setting though, as others have said.

Would be a bit strange to see real names rather than usernames/avatars, but I’d be up for it. Would definitely want it to be a private setting though, as others have said.
I could see people doxing others & doing mean spirited things like mocking pictures posted on personal accounts. I only bring that up because years ago that actually happened in the FFA (a large unofficial & unaffiliated FB group already exists, though now it’s dormant.)

I could see people doxing others & doing mean spirited things like mocking pictures posted on personal accounts. I only bring that up because years ago that actually happened in the FFA (a large unofficial & unaffiliated FB group already exists, though now it’s dormant.)
I never joined that site, but know the reference.

I think it's a good idea. As has been pointed out, Facebook has a billion users. It would start of with just the regulars on there at first. But if was a place of great fantasy content / entertainment, it would be easy for people to recommend to their friends and family (since it's on Facebook).

On paper, it wouldn't really have any perk over the forum except the fact that anonymity would be thrown to the wayside. Which, if anything might cause people to be more civil. Worst case scenario it fizzles out. It would be interesting to have a stream of consciousness under those conditions. 
Um, have you ever read FB?  No, it most definitely will not.

If I didn’t have a company page I’d delete my FB altogether. Pass for me,  but then I’m not anonymous on here anyway, so  :shrug:

I'd like it, but people could partake in doxing and such. But that's a risk for the user to manage and analyze, and not you all. It's not like you'd be forcing them to join the group.

So I'd go for it for sure.

Adapt or die!....right?

A fly fishing forum that I belong to was once very active like this one.....it has died a slow death since the onset of FB and the like.  FBG seems to still be weathering the storm.

I'm on FB, but no other form of fast paced, social media.....I understand the value of the FB/Twitter platform, but I enjoy this forum for what it is.....I don't currently do the FBG FB thing, but prolly would if this went away, but I do enjoy the shark pool as is, and prefer it to stay that way.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the value add from both an FBG and user POV. I'm part of a few FB groups for professional purposes, and they are useful because people ask questions, it stimulates discussion/debate on topics, you can learn things, and allows for networking. First two apply to FBG, but the discussions would be much more unorganized and ephemeral than a messageboard which is tried and true.

I guess my word of caution to @Joe Bryant would be your biggest 2019 admin nightmare thread by a country mile was the Tyreek thread.  Ironically, without the guise of anonymity, that would be 10x worse on Facebook. And it'll happen on more and more topics, especially as people become real-time reactive to games. Forget "being excellent to each other" on FB. People will have a different attitude and sense of freedom and will make many more borderline posts that won't align with your core values. And you'll just waste time deleting posts. And for what upside? To get some exposure to new eyeballs on FB? To do that you'd need to make it a public group and, well, have fun with that.  :)

I've been a participant of a Rolling Stones fan board called Shidoobee for years. It was a vibrant community, especially when the Stones toured. 3 or 4 years ago they created a Facebook page and the once vibrant message board died. It's still running, but only a handful of people go on it anymore. I guess most people preferred the Facebook page, but I don't go on Facebook regularly so it wasn't for me. Not exactly sure of your business model, but cannibalization is real when adding a Facebook option. 

voiceofunreason said:
I’m in Canada and nobody under 35 uses Facebook. It’s for grandparents and people looking up classmates from 30 years ago.
Good thing most of us here are over 35 then...

I'm not on here much anymore but I would NOT use a facebook group either.   Dynasty Nerds has one and I hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread