What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who were you in high school? (1 Viewer)

Which stereotype of the breakfast club were you?

• Popular

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • Jock

Votes: 69 39.9%
  • Nerd

Votes: 62 35.8%
  • Geek

Votes: 18 10.4%
  • Outcast/Loner

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • Hippie/Stoner

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 30 17.3%

• Total voters

wazoo11

Footballguy
I’m curious to hear your thoughts many years later and what was your high school experience like?

how is it different from your kids experience now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hippie/Stoner, I suppose.

Moved to a  small West Texas town my junior year.  Was a big fan of weed and a swarthy chicks.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts many years later and what was your high school experience like?

Both my kids play sports, and both are nerds.  I don't think they are stoners yet.   :oldunsure:

Played sports, but geek. Never quite made the transition to burnout and missed out on a lot of weed.  :kicksrock:

Independent. Played some sports but wasn’t that good. In the AP classes but not super geeky. Played in a garage band. Just a regular dude who didn’t buy into clique shtick. 

Until I found the FFA that is 

:e: 4EVA 

Independent. Player some sports but wasn’t that good. In the AP classes but not super geeky. Played in a garage band. Just a regular dude who didn’t buy into clique shtick. 
Same.  Dabbled in a few groups but never really fit with any one clique 

Nerd/Geek enough to be in AP Computers in mid-80s, plus was on Math Team! And did rough sports such as Sailing and Golf. 

Was lucky enough to have small-medium group of friends (both guys and girls) that I am still in touch with today (would still be w/o FB).

Loner-Jock-Freak

Hung out with everyone. One time there was a "rumble" jocks v freaks...... I showed up but was friends with nearly everyone, it was awkward.

Played varsity soccer all 4 years, occasionally invited to the parties and went to a D3 liberal arts college.

AKA: Anthony Michael Estevez. 

Hard to pick one

i played football but was also in AP classes and on the Quiz Bowl team.  Also got high...a lot.  Got along with lots of different groups of people

Popular and Jock.  Co-captain of the football team, played every sport, lettered in every sport every year, #2 in homecoming king voting, blah blah blah,  :rolleyes:

Both my kids played sports until their junior year but were never into it as much as I was.  It was all I did, but they also did band, choir, speech team, theater, debate, quiz bowl and whatever other academic teams/activities were available and had part-time jobs.  They were so much better at everything coming out of high school than I was.  Not even close.  

I got to be 3 different people in HS. I was not 5 ft tall when i started. Wisecracking pipsqueak with every angle was my brand growing up in the hood, so much so that i had a bodyguard until we moved out to the burbs. My act still played OK out in Salem, but Salem had rich girls and wisecracking pipsqueaks didn't get to play no tennis w rich girls. So i kept a small circle while i lost my accent & learned the ways of the Mayflower folk. Then i gained a foot of height & 5 shoe sizes in 9th grade and was over 6ft (tall 50 yrs ago) with smallball skills when basketball season began my sophomore yr. Was starting by the end of the season and, therefore, also playing tennis w rich girls.

Then i got in some trouble and had to run away from home a month into junior yr for over a year. A rich girl's dad took me in when i came back and a teacher advocated for me to return to school without living w my family. All a sudden i was Trouble Man - friends in rock bands & Black Panthers from my time on the road, teaching all the playskool hippies in the senior class what freakin' was all about. Quite a transformation, all in all.

I watched too many teen movies growing up to be the jock (edit: or anything). We were too self-conscious of that by 1988. Plus, like wikkid, 5'3", 135, and no puberty ain't quite cutting definitive teeth in 9th grade even if you're fine and popular from eighth grade and whatnot.

Didn't grow until halfway through jr. year. Voice cracked. Girls were kind but were cracking up. "That late?" Yup. Female attention started. 

Then...well...soccer, baseball, hockey. Accomplished. Very small school, light competition. Stuff came easy.

Dated future prom queen and very pretty girl. Yeah. Still not cool. Loved punk rock and had comic book and hardcore music lovin' friends.

Proudly independent politically, too. Pretty much left anarchist. Straight edge. No drinking or drugs. X's on hand at shows to let them all know.

I certainly was a handful. Neither cool nor not cool. Fit nowhere. Voted other.

Life moved.

eta* My first response was cooler than this one in a lyrical sense, but it sounded like bragging in stark print. Harumph on plaintive wails of honesty to false modesty and all that. But I can't read it without thinking, "Who's the loser #######...?" so edited it is.

Awkward sexually repressed popular jock. Sports was an outlet to counter my fear of sex. Most nights in the gym at midnight. But damn I could ball. 

Many of the above. I was popular in early hs, but stopped hanging out with that crowd when alcohol entered the equation (never got into drinking, drugs, etc.). I remained friends with some of them, but shifted to spending more time with geeks/nerds who did better in school, but were slower to adopt mind altering substances. By the time college rolled around I was a loner, but started lifting and running, then cycling, skiing and climbing. So I became a jock of sorts after college.

Jock-stoner who read a lot. In my defense I was left unsupervised often.

True story, when I was 11 I got a ton of sports books for my birthday - I’ve always had encyclopedic knowledge of NA team sports - and one of my dads siblings gave me Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, thinking it fit the genre. First existential crisis. Thanks, Uncle Rod! Started smoking pot when I was 11 (quit for good when I was 20.) 

Played ⚾️ ball in leagues 9 summers so that pretty much defined me. I haven’t lived in my hometown since 1980 but when I bump into someone they always wonder if I became an announcer or sports writer. Though once I ran into my h.s. principal, and he was shocked I was successful. Probably thought I’d end up a felon.

My son is a soccer head - only person I know that will get up in the middle of the night to watch a World Cup qualifier for the Africa Union - plays tennis and curling, and will start his senior year at Michigan Tech in a few weeks (aeronautical engineering.) Summer 2016 I think he tried every recreational drug known to mankind that didn’t involve a needle. Wants to work for Space-x.

My daughter starts junior high next month and her fourth year of preprofessional ballet. First girl to join the LEGO-robotics club in primary school. Hopefully won’t get into weed but, ya know, apple/tree/distance.

My father was the high school quarterback who answered the question “Where will you be in thirty years?” in his yearbook “Building rockets that fly to Mars.” On another page is a quote from him “I don’t object to school, just the principal of the thing.”

I am nothing like my father and my son is nothing like me. Where would anybody get that idea?

It was only as I clicked "vote" that I realized I could have chosen more than one.  I voted "popular" but would have had "nerd" too if I'd realized.  Cheerleader got the popular part, but I figure being valedictorian also gets me the "nerd" vote.

Overall kind of a floater, though - I got along with everyone from the jocks to the band geeks to the stoners.  But sadly didn't actually fit with any of them.  

It was only as I clicked "vote" that I realized I could have chosen more than one.  I voted "popular" but would have had "nerd" too if I'd realized.  Cheerleader got the popular part, but I figure being valedictorian also gets me the "nerd" vote.

Overall kind of a floater, though - I got along with everyone from the jocks to the band geeks to the stoners.  But sadly didn't actually fit with any of them.  
I was a Bulldoll and still am.

And FYI...nobody really “fits in” in HS unless you purposely pigeon-hole yourself.

Popular nerd (drum line captain), also always was into sports and played them a lot, but got much better athletically as I got older (led the league in batting average as a senior). Baseball was my only varsity sport, but my HS didn’t have ice hockey until after I graduated.

Didn't try to be popular, wasn't into drugs, smoking or drinking. 

"Played" the nerd sports of the era - cross country, swimming, track, tennis, marching band. In all the AP and honors classes but never even tried for straight A's. Had friends (the nerds) but kind of a loner. 🤷‍♂️

Other - just a guy.

Definitely didn’t hang with the cool kids, but wasn’t a nerd either. Had friends, did stuff, but stayed under the radar. 

I was captain of football team, recruited by multiple div II schools, and graduated #5 in my class of 200+.  I took every trade class available (welding, machining, wood working, etc) and every AP course.  Everyone knew me, but i only had one good friend who died my junior year.

I hate stereotypes.... except when it fits my agenda.

I played sports and was friends with most of the ultra-popular types, but wasn't good looking enough to get invited to their parties.  I'd say me and my buddies were second tier jocks who never got laid.  

Lots of popular jocks, homecoming kings, and top of their class scholars in here. 

Obviously
You forgot those of us that were too cool to be cool, cool and didn't know it and nerd is the new cool men and women. It's a Gen X retrospect.

I kid. In all sincerity, I'd believe almost everybody here, and that their perception at times, though faulty, is on the whole spot on. That's what makes this place so unique.

My two cents.

I was a jock and somewhat popular at school, however I wasn’t rich enough to hang out with folks on the weekends if that makes sense???  The school I went to was pricey.  I think right now it’s around 17-18k a year.  My parents sacrificed to send me there, and I also worked at McDonalds to help out.  Most everyone else was loaded.  I went to school with some great people however I just didn’t fit in their social circles.

Went with "Hippie/Stoner" ..
Thanks to my sister and my "connections", my locker was the place to visit on Thursdays and Fridays to find out where the parties were..
Not only in our town, but in many other towns around the Twin Cities.

I'd tape up the locations of the parties on my locker door and in between classes people would stop by to get details..
Got to the point that we had to have a "Look out" to watch for teachers coming down the hall so I could shut the door and we could all walk away :whistle:  

Bulldolls 4evah!  

I wish I'd understood the second part at the time.  Instead I just felt, as I suppose many did, that I was weird and not like the others, despite having the veneer of popularity/acceptance.
:goodposting:

I voted: popular, jock, nerd

my HS of 1600 was in the next town over from where I grew up- different kids, sports leagues, everything. I came from an alt k-8 school where I graduated with 5 kids... so I was self-aware that I was socially naive, especially in a big school. my parent were Joseph Campbell people and raised my brother and me to "follow your bliss". this formed me as a definite follow the beat of my own drum kind of kid, so for the most part this overrode the perpetual undercurrent of social anxiety/awkwardness.

but I had taken freshman algebra at the HS my 8th grade year, so became familiar with the kids in that class ahead, and also played varsity soccer starting my freshman year- gave me a built-backup social group when my own very small one wasn't enough. but the reality was, my group was always enough. I've always been more comfortable with a couple of friends rather than being part of a team... and I've been fortunate to always have a good core group of friends. 

unlike wikkid, I hit 6' as a 13yo which gave me a some confidence physically, as did being all-western states in one sport (soccer- div 1, top 20 college later) and a regular all-star in another (baseball).

my HS was in NCal early 80s where slacker children of hippies (many of them famous) were the cool kids- much cooler/popular to visibly not care about #### than to be outwardly impassioned by your life. I always followed and cared about doing my own thing, which I think made me interesting and kind of popular to that group (the popular crowd absorbed me in spite of myself late freshman year), but also always kept me at arms length from the en-masse popular crowd. drugs were rampant, and I had no interest. even though I was a top athlete, student and musician and ran with the popular crowd, I still played D&D with my friends and had no problems seeing bands, movies, etc by myself if nobody wanted to go. I experienced anti-popular backlash my last couple years from kids who assumed my grades/sports/music/art were an intentional slap in their faces rather than me just doing my own thing and assuming nobody else should care if it didn't involve them.

it's all been downhill since then.

I played sports, but definitely wasn't a jock. I stirred the pot with everyone (teachers, admin, other students, parents, etc.), but wasn't the class clown. Challenging authority and questioning peers was just my schtick. I was usually in some group of people (7-12 was the sweet spot), but enjoyed my alone time - and generally didn't enjoy large parties. The popular and religious were nauseating. The stoners were probably as funny as they thought they were if I too were stoned. The popular jocks were the worst. The girls that fawned over them were idiots. And the meatheads were hilarious in a laugh-at-you as long as they don't hear you sorta way.

So I eventually gravitated towards the nerds with a sense of humor. Primarily due to the upper classmen cross country/track people I was around. I saw who they were and it was a whole lot more appealing than the groups attached to the basketball team. I didn't change with the newly developed groups, I just fit better - and influenced them towards doing more of what those other groups were doing - finding places to party, pranks, skinny dipping, going to concerts, etc. instead of movie/game nights and hanging out at the music/comic book stores. And think doing so contributed to getting all of those pools, as well as others I wasn't involved with but met some cool people, to come together Jr. and especially Sr. year's. Still didn't care for many of the popular crowd, but experiencing that melting pot was something I'll never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread