What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Impossible Whopper - The Thread (1 Viewer)

Actually just finished half of one. Had plenty of impossible burgers over the past year - this was probably the worst of all I’ve had. The patty was the same but the toppings and bun are just so bad. Still! Probably one of the best fast food items you can have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A local burger joint was giving away burgers made with these patties a few weeks ago. I happened to be driving by, so I figure, why not?

UGH.

2/10

Would not buy. Would not eat for free (again).

Actually just finished half of one. Had plenty of impossible burgers over the past year - this was probably the worst of all I’ve had. The patty was the same but the toppings and bun are just so bad. Still! Probably one of the best fast food items you can have. 
Nice. 

I also wonder how much of this is totally mental. Like would be it burger nerds even notice if someone swapped it into your Big Mac without telling you. You’d probably be like “SWEET WHOPPER BRO.”

I also wonder how much of this is totally mental. Like would be it burger nerds even notice if someone swapped it into your Big Mac without telling you. You’d probably be like “SWEET WHOPPER BRO.”
I seriously doubt it. The first time I had it (ok restaurant here) I thought they sent out beef. 

Just had one yesterday, my first experience with the Impossible burger - will definitely be back for more. Can only get Beyond burgers in stores here and they are significantly less meat-like IMO.

I tried the Impossible Whopper at BK for lunch today. 
Verdict: disappointing. 

I think the patty, which has a diameter to match the BK bun, is too thin. This leads to the patty being overcooked and blah. The Impossible patty really needs to be thicker so it can retain more of it's juices and flavor. I had high hopes for this Whopper but I'm not giving it a second chance. The impossible burgers at Fatburger and Islands are much better and worth the higher prices.
My review.

Some of the cities where BK has had more time to learn to cook these properly may yield better results. It's only been available nationwide since Thursday and my local spot messed it up.

I hear we'll be able to buy these in markets soon, so I'll try them out if they're not crazy expensive.

What’s weird is often there “fake” versions are less healthy than the real thing. 

At White Castle the “Impossible” version actually has more calories. 

Regarding the Impossible Whopper: 

Calories: 630 vs 660

Fat: 34 vs 40

Protein: 25 vs 28 

Sodium: 1240 vs 980 

It’s a pretty negligible difference and is DEFINITELY a no go for anyone watching sodium. 

Whats really shocking is how much worse Buffalo Wild Wings “Boneless Wings” were than their standard real wings. While they’re not a meat substitute like this, who’d have thunk you could make a food that is dramatically worse for you than chicken wings :lol:   

Med Boneless: 1490cal, 77G Fat, 3470mg Sodium,  180mg Chol

Med Wings: 1010cal, 57G Fat, 380mg sodium, 505mg Chol

What’s weird is often there “fake” versions are less healthy than the real thing. 

It’s a pretty negligible difference and is DEFINITELY a no go for anyone watching sodium. 

Whats really shocking is how much worse Buffalos Wild Wings “Boneless Wings” were that their standard real wings. While they’re not a meat substitute like this, Who’d Have thunk you could make a food that is dramatically worse for you than chicken wings :lol:   
I don’t think anybody is looking to get healthy here. I feel like I want to die after eating red meat and some people don’t eat it for ethical reasons. Pretty simple. 

I don’t think anybody is looking to get healthy here. I feel like I want to die after eating red meat and some people don’t eat it for ethical reasons. Pretty simple. 
Oh I hear ya. I just sometimes have seen it marketed and discussed as such. Hell I kinda assumed it would be healthier. Was surprised to find out it’s not really that much better. 

Ethical reasons or for folks that red meat don’t agree with them are awesome reasons to give it a shot. :thumbup:  

Oh I hear ya. I just sometimes have seen it marketed and discussed as such. Hell I kinda assumed it would be healthier. Was surprised to find out it’s not really that much better. 

Ethical reasons or for folks that red meat don’t agree with them are awesome reasons to give it a shot. :thumbup:  
I’ve eaten a lot of veggie burgers over the years due to my red meat issues. Most of them are super high in carbs and sodium in order for them to taste good. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. 

I’ve eaten a lot of veggie burgers over the years due to my red meat issues. Most of them are super high in carbs and sodium in order for them to taste good. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. 
Indeed. I’ve had an impossible burger at a restaurant and was pleasantly surprised. They did a solid job with them from a flavor/appearance perspective. 

I feel like I want to die after eating red meat
Is it age, you think, or is it lifelong? My family eats tons of red meat, and I feel sluggish and awful after I do. I don't think it's an accident, either.

It causes a bunch of stuff that is TMI, but sluggishness and tiredness are among it. 

Is it age, you think, or is it lifelong? My family eats tons of red meat, and I feel sluggish and awful after I do. I don't think it's an accident, either.

It causes a bunch of stuff that is TMI, but sluggishness and tiredness are among it. 
I dunno but it’s been that way for me for a while. It’s not like it sends me to the hospital or anything but my stomach feels wretched the next day and as you said...the TMI part. And definitely sluggish. Just not worth it often. I’ll do a good steak twice a year and just deal with the fallout but I prefer not to eat much beef otherwise. 

Whats really shocking is how much worse Buffalo Wild Wings “Boneless Wings” were than their standard real wings. While they’re not a meat substitute like this, who’d have thunk you could make a food that is dramatically worse for you than chicken wings :lol:   

Med Boneless: 1490cal, 77G Fat, 3470mg Sodium,  180mg Chol

Med Wings: 1010cal, 57G Fat, 380mg sodium, 505mg Chol
"Boneless wings" are usually worse because of the breading.   I hate wings with breading to begin with

I don't understand the desire to eat a processed piece of vegetable entrails that sort of resembles the taste of meat. Why not just make a burger out of something tasty?

I used to like the so-called "soy burgers" they used to give us back in SE Louisiana public schools. In quotes because I don't know if they were really made of soybean-based meat substitute or if that was just a grade-school rumor. But if that was soy "meat" ... it wasn't bad at all.

Is the Impossible Burger different from school "soy burgers"?

[icon] said:

I didn't know which was which, so I looked it up:

Code:
          Impossible   Beef 
Calories:        630    660
Fat:              34     40
Protein:          25     28 
Sodium:         1240    980 
Carbs:            58     49

Capella said:
I dunno but it’s been that way for me for a while. It’s not like it sends me to the hospital or anything but my stomach feels wretched the next day and as you said...the TMI part. And definitely sluggish. Just not worth it often. I’ll do a good steak twice a year and just deal with the fallout but I prefer not to eat much beef otherwise. 
Sometimes a lot of red meat gives me the bubble guts too.

tried a beyond/impossible/whatever sausage egg cheese breakfast sandwich at Dunkin Donuts yesterday because I was waiting on my nephew to wake up for breakfast, and Dunkin is what he wanted. 

it tasted like salty/typical/fast-food breakfast sandwich... so I guess- mission accomplished.

not something I'd actively ever seek out to eat, so I'm not worried about its relative health factors. but if it's doing less harm to the environment via less cattle/grazing (I think that's the argument)- great. 

I used to like the so-called "soy burgers" they used to give us back in SE Louisiana public schools. In quotes because I don't know if they were really made of soybean-based meat substitute or if that was just a grade-school rumor. But if that was soy "meat" ... it wasn't bad at all.

I was so disappointed when I grabbed at burger at the "racetrack" and it was real beef instead of the high school soy burger I was looking forward too.  

They are completely different, but in a good way.

I happen to really like the soy based spicy "chicken" patties made by BocaBurger. The denseness of the soy does a good job of imitating the fried chicken patties, and the spices (plus whatever other condiments you put on it) make you not notice the lack of chicken flavor. 

tried a beyond/impossible/whatever sausage egg cheese breakfast sandwich at Dunkin Donuts yesterday because I was waiting on my nephew to wake up for breakfast, and Dunkin is what he wanted. 

it tasted like salty/typical/fast-food breakfast sandwich... so I guess- mission accomplished.

not something I'd actively ever seek out to eat, so I'm not worried about its relative health factors. but if it's doing less harm to the environment via less cattle/grazing (I think that's the argument)- great. 
That's the appeal for most I think. If the taste and dining experience is close enough to real beef, but you get to save the ice caps and polar bears, a lot of people would gladly choose the plant-based option.

I didn't know which was which, so I looked it up:

Code:
          Impossible   Beef 
Calories:        630    660
Fat:              34     40
Protein:          25     28 
Sodium:         1240    980 
Carbs:            58     49
Yep, the real trade-off is more sodium for less/no cholesterol. 

That's the appeal for most I think. If the taste and dining experience is close enough to real beef, but you get to save the ice caps and polar bears, a lot of people would gladly choose the plant-based option.
We don't eat red meat, so along with saving the planet, I'd be happy to eat a non-turkey burger...even if it's plant based but hopefully (low bar here) better than turkey burgers.

Whenever someone says "You can't even taste the difference!", I already know two things:

1) You can most definitely taste the difference.

2) I hate the person who said with the fury of a thousand suns.
You’ll live. 

If somebody served you an impossible burger (not necessarily from BK) and told you it was beef I would be highly surprised if you could tell the difference. 

You’ll live. 

If somebody served you an impossible burger (not necessarily from BK) and told you it was beef I would be highly surprised if you could tell the difference. 
I didn't say I wouldn't live.  But I can guarantee you I could tell it wasn't beef.  Or at the least, I'd say something like, "This burger tastes like ####!"  In which case, I guess technically I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef.  Just thought it was bad beef.

I didn't say I wouldn't live.  But I can guarantee you I could tell it wasn't beef.  Or at the least, I'd say something like, "This burger tastes like ####!"  In which case, I guess technically I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef.  Just thought it was bad beef.
I don't think you live all that far from me.  I'm willing to drive over for a video taste test.

There have been crappy fake "burgers" around forever that didnt taste anything like beef. These actually do. That's why its news.

In 10 years, we'll look at eating beef burgers the same way we look at smoking cigs or drinking soda today.

There have been crappy fake "burgers" around forever that didnt taste anything like beef. These actually do. That's why its news.

In 10 years, we'll look at eating beef burgers the same way we look at smoking cigs or drinking soda today.
I hope you're right. But I don't think soda has the same stigma attached to it as cigarettes. 

I mean honestly shiek I don’t care if you like it or not, we don’t know each other, it’s just odd to outright dismiss it. 

Users who are viewing this thread