What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Password Management (1 Viewer)

Leeroy Jenkins

Footballguy
I have so many freaking passwords and logins now across multiple devices for both personal and business use. I cannot keep up anymore. I pretty much end up resetting my passwords all of the time, and it is incredibly inefficient and frustrating. 

Do any of you use a password management service?  If so, which one and how does it work?

tia. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge fan of LastPass.  I always just used the free version.  Thing I like about it:

• Browser plug-in for all browsers that auto-fills username and password so you don't even need to look it up most of the time
  • Mobile app
  • Can add notes to items for things like security questions, etc.
  • Ability to share passwords with family members
  • Random password generator that lets you select all the various requirements like length, character types, etc.
  • Security checks to verify you're not reusing the same password across multiple sites

There needs to be a federal password act standardizing length and password requirements (caps, special chars, etc).  I have a few set passwords I use but then all of a sudden find a site that forces it to be longer or add a character and then next time I log in I have to do a recovery because I can’t remember 

also hate ones that make you change every month and can’t repeat a password for like 8 cycles

Juxtatarot said:
Old school works fine for me.  Write them down on pieces of paper.  One sheet for work.  One for personal. 
Stationary stores also sell the modern-day little black book for passwords. Can even fit it in a larger wallet.

There needs to be a federal password act standardizing length and password requirements (caps, special chars, etc).  I have a few set passwords I use but then all of a sudden find a site that forces it to be longer or add a character and then next time I log in I have to do a recovery because I can’t remember 

also hate ones that make you change every month and can’t repeat a password for like 8 cycles
What is your favorite winter activity? 

I have a password protected spreadsheet, but mostly use the password capabilities of Google Chrome.  I don't get a warm fuzzy from either of these methods, but I do make sure that banking passwords are completely different from anything else and not stored in Chrome. 

Last company I worked at, in about my 4th year, I tried to change my password back to my original password from when I started and it said I couldn't repeat a password from that soon.   :confused:

PlayaHata said:
Huge fan of LastPass.  I always just used the free version.  Thing I like about it:
Yep - huge fan.  I have all my passwords set to 15-17 letter random entries that would take a long, long time to crack.  This program works, is easy, and is free.

Last company I worked at, in about my 4th year, I tried to change my password back to my original password from when I started and it said I couldn't repeat a password from that soon.   :confused:
IT speak - that means forever.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Why arent we just at a 100% biometric two-factor authentication on everything now anyway?
What would that be, your fingerprint and a scan of your face? 

Biometrics are terrible for security. Yeah, they're easy, but you can't change them. So once yours has been cracked, it'll start cracked as long as you use biometrics. 

And they're not hard to crack. When iPhone first came out with its face-scan security feature there was a video of a mother whose young son looked enough like her to fool the scanner and unlock her phone. He didn't even have to try. 

PlayaHata said:

• Browser plug-in for all browsers that auto-fills username and password so you don't even need to look it up most of the time
  • Mobile app
  • Random password generator that lets you select all the various requirements like length, character types, etc.
  • Security checks to verify you're not reusing the same password across multiple sites
2nd LastPass, great life-hack

I use 1Password

I have had it for 6-7 years now, seems to do the trick.

I probably don't use it as effectively as I could, but it has all the basic tools - stores passwords, monitors for hacked passwords, shows "weak" passwords, duplicate passwords, and old passwords.

PlayaHata said:

• Mobile app
:goodposting: Same here, been using LastPass for a couple of years, no complaints.

I used to write them all down. When my house was robbed, this terrified me. I went to LastPass. Highly recommend it. To the hacked question:

"Your data is encrypted and decrypted at the device level. Data stored in your vault is kept secret, even from LastPass. Your master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass"

I used to write them all down. When my house was robbed, this terrified me. I went to LastPass. Highly recommend it. To the hacked question:

"Your data is encrypted and decrypted at the device level. Data stored in your vault is kept secret, even from LastPass. Your master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass"
I'm quite interested in this, but does the user pick the encryption key? And how is that stored?

I work in IT.  Password managers should not be considered optional for anyone.  Don't use the same password for multiple sites.  Don't use birthdays, names of kids or pets, etc., even if you do use the incredibly stupid practice of replacing certain letters with numbers or special characters.

LastPass, Dashlane, KeePass, etc.  Pick one you like and use it.

For those who asked "what if LastPass gets hacked", you might be interested to know that they were hacked a few years ago.  Their response to the hack told me plenty about the seriousness with which they take security.  They announced it within hours, gave detail on what info was compromised, etc.

I use 1Password

I have had it for 6-7 years now, seems to do the trick.

I probably don't use it as effectively as I could, but it has all the basic tools - stores passwords, monitors for hacked passwords, shows "weak" passwords, duplicate passwords, and old passwords.
Also a 1Password fan.

I like that it is integrated with browsers (via extensions) and with programs on my iOS devices, as well as my desktop. I get the choice of whether to look for a password on 1Password or on the iCloud keychain.

It also has the ability to generate passwords, and to store other information besides passwords (I like being able to store software license numbers.). You can set up multiple accounts and designate which passwords can be shared within the 'family' (like a Netflix account). $60/year.

I think I’m sold on LastPass. We just suffered a Ransomware attack on our systems at work and it’s frankly ruined my summer. I’m trying to lock down all my personal digital #### so I never have to go through this nonsense again. 

There was a company called CyberReason that used to provide a free product to protect against ransomware (it dropped some random fake files on your hard drive and monitored them to see if any application ever tried to access them, transmit them, or encrypt them. They've discontinued it, though.

I did find another company offering something similar for free, but can't remember the name. I'm sure I can find it at home. Free for me is good enough for home use (I have multiple backups on- and off-site), but for a corporate environment a paid solution is probably warranted. In case personal protection from ransomware is also on your list.
I’m just talking about me personally.  

My company is paying the price of being cheap for years when I begged them to spend on IT. Irony is we were half way through the project that would have made recovery from the attack a minor nuisance. But it wasn’t complete and I now look like the ##### that spent a bunch of money on a new company who is struggling trying to restore a system they didn’t build. 

Good times. 

LastPass has been great for me - it just allowed me to flush some little background brain space that was being used for passwords.

I started with free, but went pay because my wife and I can easily use it in tandem.  On a phone with fingerprint/picture recognition, it's great.

Yep - huge fan.  I have all my passwords set to 15-17 letter random entries that would take a long, long time to crack.  This program works, is easy, and is free.

IT speak - that means forever.
I use LastPass too but I don't use their password generator anymore. Their auto-fill feature is often spotty and I have to fill it in on my own, which means logging into LP to find it which is a PITA in general but, worse on a mobile device and a nightmare when I have to go to my phone to see the password and manually type it in in a desk/laptop. Particularly when their auto-generated options are something like Xsi0O$b18cxT5gh9+

I found the mere act of using it made me more aware of my passwords and helped me develop my own versions of correct horse battery staple. 

Like every one here I had dozens (hundreds?) of sites with passwords and am still updating them. But it takes time and you have to set security priorities for each site. My strongest passwords are reserved for medical & financial data, then I scale down depending on how important the data is behind the password (my FBG forums password is 1-2-3-4-6!!! Bam! Curveball!)

My goal is to get down to 5-7 passwords total and develop new ones over time to replace them.

Lastpass is great - as long as you remember the password for it...........

That being said, if you send me your passwords and websites for stuff like your bank accounts and credit cards, I will be happy to manage those for you. :shrug:    :oldunsure:

The most annoying passwords are the ones that require two step authentication. Like my investments, which when I try to link to personal capital or my main bank, don't work because of the two step authentication. 

Ugh.

For accounts with sensitive information, I write the password in a notebook and keep it locked up at home. I don't save it with any password manager service.

Bumpity

Looking to get one of these now, mostly so if I were to get run over or otherwise ded, my wife would be able to access our joint accounts (she otherwise never does)

Bitwarden looks decent at first glance. 

I don't need anything special, but I would like her to access everything easily before some 22yo lifeguard starts comforting the widow.

I use LastPass too but I don't use their password generator anymore. Their auto-fill feature is often spotty and I have to fill it in on my own, which means logging into LP to find it which is a PITA in general but, worse on a mobile device and a nightmare when I have to go to my phone to see the password and manually type it in in a desk/laptop. Particularly when their auto-generated options are something like Xsi0O$b18cxT5gh9+

I found the mere act of using it made me more aware of my passwords and helped me develop my own versions of correct horse battery staple. 

Like every one here I had dozens (hundreds?) of sites with passwords and am still updating them. But it takes time and you have to set security priorities for each site. My strongest passwords are reserved for medical & financial data, then I scale down depending on how important the data is behind the password (my FBG forums password is 1-2-3-4-6!!! Bam! Curveball!)

My goal is to get down to 5-7 passwords total and develop new ones over time to replace them.
To me part of the value of LastPass is the ease of it allows you also select highly secure passwords that are unique.

Do you use the LastPass browser extension? Where autofill doesn’t work copying using the extension is a snap 

Users who are viewing this thread