What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summerpalooza II: Combined FF/Music Draft - Everybody Wants to Rule the League (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Draft Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SplhnRy0OxFK4OA_NQY6CUOA6Zz5LwGar3qWa9ZRaO8/edit#gid=0

Spotify Playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5fariCoAS1jsQmu5YAnT3B?si=GHYMTEXNSHC-rhGsUtCVDg

Draft Order

Mrs R 936

Eephus 836

Marco 766

Doug B 709

Dr Octopus 699

JZilla 694

Mr Ected 360

NV 344

Ilov 223

Bonzai 112

simey 97

Rockaction 73

Link to last year's league

Link to Yahoo league

Fantasy Football League Settings:

Head to head scoring - Passing TD 4 PTS, 1/2 PPR, rest standard Yahoo

Roster Positions:QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T (flex), Q/W/R/T (superflex), K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR

Waiver Type:FAAB w/ Reverse order of standings tiebreak

Playoffs:Week 14, 15, and 16 (6 teams) Note: Week 16 runs 7 days from Dec 17 to Dec 23

Music Draft League Settings:

Wide open to any connection you want between the player selected and song - Dr. Octopus, I think suggested Maybe the lyrics of the song can have some (even vague) connection to either the city of pro or college team, team name of the NFL team (i.e. Dolphins) or college team name (i.e. Trojans) or something like that?  - we could take that a step farther and have in include the players name, number, draft year, birth year or even back to the city of the team/college - this let's people build their own mixes how they like, with a theme or not - though it's much more open ended than last year's gimmick, if that's important.

Participants:

Everyone in last year gets first shot - @Nick Vermeil @Mrs. Rannous @KarmaPolice @The Dreaded Marco @Ilov80s @El Floppo @Bonzai @Mr. Ected @simey @JZilla @kupcho1 @AhrnCityPahnder @Dr. Octopus @rockaction @Eephus

If you're interested but weren't in last year - post below, I think not everyone is back in this year, so there may be openings or a seperate league even.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like, a song for the guy?  Base it off of.. name, number, any part of his story, any team or location he's made his fame in, etc? Keep it loose and I'm not sure there are enough people around here but maybe at the end of the draft we could hold a poll competition to see who came up with the best/cleverest playlist for their team.  Maybe add in some requirements for songs just for the challenge, like one Swedish act, genre to fill or whatever

Screw-your-neighbor "tokens" to throw some custom reqs up and down the serpentine draft

Spitballing here.. I imagine it could get tedious but maybe not?  If we claim to know football and we claim to know music, it should be pretty feasible 

Screw-your-neighbor "tokens" to throw some custom reqs up and down the serpentine draft
Love this idea. A token for each person surrounding your next pick or something, announced several picks before yours, maybe? (I'm thinking logistically)

What’s this exactly?
Fleshing out the potential for maybe giving the person in front and back of you a "token" to play at one point regarding genre, etc. Sort of a reasonable request made for a song in light of the player you pick. It'd have to be played a few picks before yours, or you'd be waiting to pick all of the time or people couldn't use it, etc.

I'm thinking this scenario. Imagine pick 1, 2, 3.

You're pick 2, so each 1 and 3 get to throw a token at you at one point in the draft asking you to make a pick per their genre (or whatever we decide) request. Then you have to figure out what to pick for the player in keeping with the request and the draft theme.

Seems like a cool idea if done once by the person in front and back of you, but I'm thinking for every pick it could get tedious and logistically impossible. 

But we should probably figure out an overall theme before we mess too hard with it. I'm still having trouble coming up with one. I loved what Eephus did last draft. I'm stuck thinking about using the beginning of the last name of the player be the first letter of the band, but that's too much like an alphabet draft and really uninspired on my end. 

For example: Pat Mahomes.

Band: Motorhead.

ets* There's got to be something better than that.

Fleshing out the potential for maybe giving the person in front and back of you a "token" to play at one point regarding genre, etc. Sort of a reasonable request made for a song in light of the player you pick. It'd have to be played a few picks before yours, or you'd be waiting to pick all of the time or people couldn't use it, etc.

I'm thinking this scenario. Imagine pick 1, 2, 3.

You're pick 2, so each 1 and 3 get to throw a token at you at one point in the draft asking you to make a pick per their genre (or whatever we decide) request. Then you have to figure out what to pick for the player in keeping with the request and the draft theme.

Seems like a cool idea if done once by the person in front and back of you, but I'm thinking for every pick it could get tedious and logistically impossible. 
Sounds confusing to me. 

Sounds confusing to me. 
In a draft pick from the 11th spot, the 10th and 12th get one opportunity to throw a token a few picks prior to yours and request a category/genre/etc.

Not that tough, IMHO. But YMMV. Just spitballing at this point. 

Yeah I was thinking something like, say I have the 5th pick and rock has the 4th and simey has the 6th.. anywhere along the way of the draft, I can play a "card" or token to make the person behind me fill some sort of qualification so like maybe I would make simey pick a heavy metal song for her next pick, or make rock take a Weird Al song for his next pick.. these could be played once in each direction of the snake draft, so you screw your neighbor one time (and of course they get to screw you and someone else)

Other than that, just a loosey-goosey thematic draft, however one sees fit, let the voters decide if your song picking strategy was the most sound

So we could do the token thing, and then in general whatever player is drafted you have to pick a song from an artists or band that is from the state (anywhere in the state) of the NFL team of the drafted player. Last year it had to be from the city or town the NFL team was in or within 100 miles from where the player went to college, or we could do it has to be a band or artists that starts with the first letter of the players first name.

In all seriousness, I knocked off the mighty simey, Dr. Octopus, and Nick Vermeil to race through to the championship and pick up the win. And I didn't even use Jaylen Samuels as a TE. Ethics prevailed, and the good fight was fought and won. 

not sure guys... been slammed, and waiting to hear about starting a new job. likely out. 
Been missing the FBG drafts ... I can step in for El Floppo.

What's the clock like? Work week, evenings, weekends? Was it a slow-burn draft or was it a skip-o-rama? Assuming a competitive FF league , I imagine people stayed on their picks more than what usually goes on in a lower-stakes music or pop culture draft.

What's the clock like? Work week, evenings, weekends? Was it a slow-burn draft or was it a skip-o-rama? Assuming a competitive FF league , I imagine people stayed on their picks more than what usually goes on in a lower-stakes music or pop culture draft.
It was a slow burner, actually. We didn't institute a clock for a while. NV would have the answers and viability, as he's the commish.

it was decidedly low key, slow draft- music was as important as the players drafted. at least for me (couldn't wait to draft a kicker from the uk). why it's probably best to get the thing started asap.

Music Draft League Settings:

I'm also up for leaving it wide open to any connection you want between the player selected and song - Dr. Octopus, I think suggested Maybe the lyrics of the song can have some (even vague) connection to either the city of pro or college team, team name of the NFL team (i.e. Dolphins) or college team name (i.e. Trojans) or something like that?  - we could take that a step farther and have in include the players name, number, draft year, birth year or even back to the city of the team/college - this let's people build their own mixes how they like, with a theme or not - though it's much more open ended than last year's gimmick, if that's important.
I'm leaning towards this, with possibly the token gimmick mixed in to keep things interesting, unless someone comes up with a slam dunk idea. 

Yeah it's probably not worth it, I think the general plan looks good.  

Hard enough for me just to draft good players

I haven't looked an a website, magazine etc at all yet. Hopefully we can start tomorrow but still waiting to hear from a few people. 

What about the gimmick you have to pick a song from the year the player was born.

If we were to go this way, I would make it birth year or draft year so there options for lovers of music old and new. 
I’m fine with that but I don’t think that really does much for people that like old music. The average player drafted’s birthdate is going to be like 1993. 

Also would need something different for team D. 

Ilov80s said:
I’m fine with that but I don’t think that really does much for people that like old music. The average player drafted’s birthdate is going to be like 1993. 

Your team defense can be the defensive coordinator's birth year.   :shrug:    * I think BB is the defensive coordinator of the Pats this year since they don't have a DC. Ron Rivera is calling the defensive plays this year for the Panthers, but Washington is still the DC.

I kind of like the original idea about loosely tying in the theme to your team. I think we can use the honor system if it gets at all questionable.

Ilov80s said:

That is older music :oldunsure: ;)

Yeah I vote for a loose theme. Can be as simple as the song mentions California and the player plays in Cali or went to college in Cali or the songs something about being fast and the player is fast. 

Yeah I vote for a loose theme. Can be as simple as the song mentions California and the player plays in Cali or went to college in Cali or the songs something about being fast and the player is fast. 
:goodposting:

We could do a mix. Have to do a certain percentage of players with date and some with location.

Users who are viewing this thread