Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Northern Voice

Summerpalooza II: Combined FF/Music Draft - Everybody Wants to Rule the League

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Draft Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SplhnRy0OxFK4OA_NQY6CUOA6Zz5LwGar3qWa9ZRaO8/edit#gid=0

Spotify Playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5fariCoAS1jsQmu5YAnT3B?si=GHYMTEXNSHC-rhGsUtCVDg

 

Draft Order

Mrs R 936

Eephus 836

Marco 766

Doug B 709

Dr Octopus 699

JZilla 694

Mr Ected 360

NV 344

Ilov 223

Bonzai 112

simey 97

Rockaction 73

 

 

 

Link to last year's league

Link to Yahoo league

Fantasy Football League Settings:

Head to head scoring - Passing TD 4 PTS, 1/2 PPR, rest standard Yahoo

Roster Positions:QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T (flex), Q/W/R/T (superflex), K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR

Waiver Type:FAAB w/ Reverse order of standings tiebreak

Playoffs:Week 14, 15, and 16 (6 teams) Note: Week 16 runs 7 days from Dec 17 to Dec 23

 

 

Music Draft League Settings:

Wide open to any connection you want between the player selected and song - Dr. Octopus, I think suggested Maybe the lyrics of the song can have some (even vague) connection to either the city of pro or college team, team name of the NFL team (i.e. Dolphins) or college team name (i.e. Trojans) or something like that?  - we could take that a step farther and have in include the players name, number, draft year, birth year or even back to the city of the team/college - this let's people build their own mixes how they like, with a theme or not - though it's much more open ended than last year's gimmick, if that's important.

 

Participants:

Everyone in last year gets first shot - @Nick Vermeil @Mrs. Rannous @KarmaPolice @The Dreaded Marco @Ilov80s @El Floppo @Bonzai @Mr. Ected @simey @JZilla @kupcho1 @AhrnCityPahnder @Dr. Octopus @rockaction @Eephus

 

If you're interested but weren't in last year - post below, I think not everyone is back in this year, so there may be openings or a seperate league even.

 

Edited by Northern Voice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely in. I will try and think of a gimmick. Thanks for the thought and the shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In but prefer not to do location again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

In but prefer not to do location again

Seconded on location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure guys... been slammed, and waiting to hear about starting a new job. likely out. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just like, a song for the guy?  Base it off of.. name, number, any part of his story, any team or location he's made his fame in, etc? Keep it loose and I'm not sure there are enough people around here but maybe at the end of the draft we could hold a poll competition to see who came up with the best/cleverest playlist for their team.  Maybe add in some requirements for songs just for the challenge, like one Swedish act, genre to fill or whatever

Screw-your-neighbor "tokens" to throw some custom reqs up and down the serpentine draft

Spitballing here.. I imagine it could get tedious but maybe not?  If we claim to know football and we claim to know music, it should be pretty feasible 

Edited by JZilla
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JZilla said:

Screw-your-neighbor "tokens" to throw some custom reqs up and down the serpentine draft

Love this idea. A token for each person surrounding your next pick or something, announced several picks before yours, maybe? (I'm thinking logistically)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rockaction said:

Love this idea. A token for each person surrounding your next pick or something, announced several picks before yours, maybe? (I'm thinking logistically)

What’s this exactly?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

What’s this exactly?

Fleshing out the potential for maybe giving the person in front and back of you a "token" to play at one point regarding genre, etc. Sort of a reasonable request made for a song in light of the player you pick. It'd have to be played a few picks before yours, or you'd be waiting to pick all of the time or people couldn't use it, etc.

I'm thinking this scenario. Imagine pick 1, 2, 3.

You're pick 2, so each 1 and 3 get to throw a token at you at one point in the draft asking you to make a pick per their genre (or whatever we decide) request. Then you have to figure out what to pick for the player in keeping with the request and the draft theme.

Seems like a cool idea if done once by the person in front and back of you, but I'm thinking for every pick it could get tedious and logistically impossible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

But we should probably figure out an overall theme before we mess too hard with it. I'm still having trouble coming up with one. I loved what Eephus did last draft. I'm stuck thinking about using the beginning of the last name of the player be the first letter of the band, but that's too much like an alphabet draft and really uninspired on my end. 

For example: Pat Mahomes.

Band: Motorhead.

ets* There's got to be something better than that.

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Fleshing out the potential for maybe giving the person in front and back of you a "token" to play at one point regarding genre, etc. Sort of a reasonable request made for a song in light of the player you pick. It'd have to be played a few picks before yours, or you'd be waiting to pick all of the time or people couldn't use it, etc.

I'm thinking this scenario. Imagine pick 1, 2, 3.

You're pick 2, so each 1 and 3 get to throw a token at you at one point in the draft asking you to make a pick per their genre (or whatever we decide) request. Then you have to figure out what to pick for the player in keeping with the request and the draft theme.

Seems like a cool idea if done once by the person in front and back of you, but I'm thinking for every pick it could get tedious and logistically impossible. 

Sounds confusing to me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simey said:

Sounds confusing to me. 

In a draft pick from the 11th spot, the 10th and 12th get one opportunity to throw a token a few picks prior to yours and request a category/genre/etc.

Not that tough, IMHO. But YMMV. Just spitballing at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was thinking something like, say I have the 5th pick and rock has the 4th and simey has the 6th.. anywhere along the way of the draft, I can play a "card" or token to make the person behind me fill some sort of qualification so like maybe I would make simey pick a heavy metal song for her next pick, or make rock take a Weird Al song for his next pick.. these could be played once in each direction of the snake draft, so you screw your neighbor one time (and of course they get to screw you and someone else)

Other than that, just a loosey-goosey thematic draft, however one sees fit, let the voters decide if your song picking strategy was the most sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Other than that, just a loosey-goosey thematic draft, however one sees fit, let the voters decide if your song picking strategy was the most sound

👌           

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So we could do the token thing, and then in general whatever player is drafted you have to pick a song from an artists or band that is from the state (anywhere in the state) of the NFL team of the drafted player. Last year it had to be from the city or town the NFL team was in or within 100 miles from where the player went to college, or we could do it has to be a band or artists that starts with the first letter of the players first name.

Edited by simey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raging weasel said:

Who won last year's league?

rockaction.  he cheated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, simey said:

rockaction.  he cheated. 

There were five aces in the deck!

maybe? 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In all seriousness, I knocked off the mighty simey, Dr. Octopus, and Nick Vermeil to race through to the championship and pick up the win. And I didn't even use Jaylen Samuels as a TE. Ethics prevailed, and the good fight was fought and won. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, El Floppo said:

not sure guys... been slammed, and waiting to hear about starting a new job. likely out. 

Been missing the FBG drafts ... I can step in for El Floppo.

What's the clock like? Work week, evenings, weekends? Was it a slow-burn draft or was it a skip-o-rama? Assuming a competitive FF league , I imagine people stayed on their picks more than what usually goes on in a lower-stakes music or pop culture draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But this is to defend it all. :football:

And to music draft. 🎧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doug B said:

Been missing the FBG drafts ... I can step in for El Floppo.

What's the clock like? Work week, evenings, weekends? Was it a slow-burn draft or was it a skip-o-rama? Assuming a competitive FF league , I imagine people stayed on their picks more than what usually goes on in a lower-stakes music or pop culture draft.

It was a slow burner, actually. We didn't institute a clock for a while. NV would have the answers and viability, as he's the commish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

It was a slow burner, actually. We didn't institute a clock for a while. NV would have the answers and viability, as he's the commish.

Yeah, long slow, no clock - assuming we get started this week and have lots of time to get through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Been missing the FBG drafts ... I can step in for El Floppo.

What's the clock like? Work week, evenings, weekends? Was it a slow-burn draft or was it a skip-o-rama? Assuming a competitive FF league , I imagine people stayed on their picks more than what usually goes on in a lower-stakes music or pop culture draft.

it was decidedly low key, slow draft- music was as important as the players drafted. at least for me (couldn't wait to draft a kicker from the uk). why it's probably best to get the thing started asap.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, Northern Voice said:

 

Music Draft League Settings:

 

I'm also up for leaving it wide open to any connection you want between the player selected and song - Dr. Octopus, I think suggested Maybe the lyrics of the song can have some (even vague) connection to either the city of pro or college team, team name of the NFL team (i.e. Dolphins) or college team name (i.e. Trojans) or something like that?  - we could take that a step farther and have in include the players name, number, draft year, birth year or even back to the city of the team/college - this let's people build their own mixes how they like, with a theme or not - though it's much more open ended than last year's gimmick, if that's important.

 

I'm leaning towards this, with possibly the token gimmick mixed in to keep things interesting, unless someone comes up with a slam dunk idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simey said:

Sounds confusing to me. 

I'm not getting this token stuff either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's probably not worth it, I think the general plan looks good.  

Hard enough for me just to draft good players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't looked an a website, magazine etc at all yet. Hopefully we can start tomorrow but still waiting to hear from a few people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What about the gimmick you have to pick a song from the year the player was born.

Edited by simey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, simey said:

What about the gimmick you have to pick a song from the year the player was born.

Maybe that could be an option? If you do that, you're going to have a narrow range of late eighties/nineties songs.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

Maybe that could be an option? If you do that, you're going to have a narrow range of late eighties/nineties songs.

There were some good songs back then. You could also have the option of when the head coach was born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, simey said:

There were some good songs back then. You could also have the option of when the head coach was born.

Not to pooh-pooh it too much, but that's a narrow draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:
1 hour ago, simey said:

What about the gimmick you have to pick a song from the year the player was born.

Maybe that could be an option? If you do that, you're going to have a narrow range of late eighties/nineties songs.

If we were to go this way, I would make it birth year or draft year so there options for lovers of music old and new. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

If we were to go this way, I would make it birth year or draft year so there options for lovers of music old and new. 

I like this suggestion and it's simple/straight forward and will open up a lot of music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

If we were to go this way, I would make it birth year or draft year so there options for lovers of music old and new. 

I’m fine with that but I don’t think that really does much for people that like old music. The average player drafted’s birthdate is going to be like 1993. 

Also would need something different for team D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m fine with that but I don’t think that really does much for people that like old music. The average player drafted’s birthdate is going to be like 1993. 

Also would need something different for team D. 

Your team defense can be the defensive coordinator's birth year.  :shrug:   * I think BB is the defensive coordinator of the Pats this year since they don't have a DC. Ron Rivera is calling the defensive plays this year for the Panthers, but Washington is still the DC.

Edited by simey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of like the original idea about loosely tying in the theme to your team. I think we can use the honor system if it gets at all questionable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care what we do as long as it is clear what it is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m fine with that but I don’t think that really does much for people that like old music. The average player drafted’s birthdate is going to be like 1993. 

Also would need something different for team D. 

That is older music :oldunsure:;)

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I vote for a loose theme. Can be as simple as the song mentions California and the player plays in Cali or went to college in Cali or the songs something about being fast and the player is fast. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I vote for a loose theme. Can be as simple as the song mentions California and the player plays in Cali or went to college in Cali or the songs something about being fast and the player is fast. 

:goodposting:

 

We could do a mix. Have to do a certain percentage of players with date and some with location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't asked a fundamental question. Will there be dice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m ready to roll whenever, just let me know the gimmick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.