What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Live Draft Gone Bad (1 Viewer)

You have good trade material. Unless it's one of those leagues where nobody wants a trade unless it's 90-10 in their favor, you can make moves to overcome your RB issues.

Just some possibilities off the top of my head. Sounds like a league that is not so experienced. I bet someone will pay a premium RB for Mahomes. You'll still have a legit starting QB. One of your top 3 WRs should get you a starting RB. Henderson and Brown to the Gurley owner might upgrade your WR depth. After that... injuries, sleepers etc., and you could be a contender. 

Edit - they're your son's friends. I wouldn't plan on any revenge things other than doing my best to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you guys are missing the big picture here... these are people his son works with.  I’m guessing we’re looking at like an office league here and not people that work with a kid at McDonald’s given the buy in. Even if they stole all my players and filled my roster with 18 kickers I wouldn’t be risking damaging work relationships for my son over $350. 

If you want to be the "bigger man" work the wire, make some trades and win anyway. You don't really have much of a choice to be honest.
This. Might be more possible than you think at the moment. How much does a redraft Opening Day roster churn over the course of a season, anyway? Proabably 2/3 of the guys drafted are replaced by playoff time.

A few factors may work for or against you:

- Size of league -- a 16-team league could make the second-best of your three QBs (or one of your WRs) valuable to another owner dealing with injuries at the position. In a 10-teamer ... eh, the QB thing probably won't work unless someone is forced by circumstances into starting garbage at QB early in the season.

- Positional requirements -- OK, you go into Week One with only Melvin Gordon (hope he gets right by then). Is it a flex-type league where you can start one RB and three WRs, say? If so, you can string it out a week or two until you can pick up (or overbid) on 2019's breakout RB. Also, if you can pick up & drop players between now and Week One ... you gotta be Johnny-on-the-spot and jump all over any RB that emerges in preseason due to injury.

- Quality of other positions -- Are you positively stacked at QB and WR? OK at TE? Got better-than-replacement D and K? Every little edge helps. Sounds likely, unless you luck into 2019's out-of-nowhere stud, that you'll be dragging at RB all season. But teams can succeed even with a deficiency at one position if the other ones are strong enough.

- Trade culture in your league -- In some leagues, team managers move guys all the time as part of the fun of fantasy sports. In other leagues, no one makes a trade for fear of losing the deal down the road. The more internal player churn your league generates, the better your chances of making chicken salad via trade (as opposed to waivers/free agency only).

- Waiver/free agency pick-up rules -- is there a significant fist-come-first-serve period in your league where you can get the jump on other owners? In some leagues, this is right after waivers run say on Tuesday or Wednesday evening and lasts until first kickoff Sunday. In other leagues, waivers run late, and there really isn't an extended period of time where you can easily catch other owners flat-footed. Accordingly, you might have to gaze harder into your crystal ball and take blind stabs at players in good positions to emerge, but haven't had that one good stat week yet that puts them on everybody's radar.

I don’t know the exact roster as I can’t get on the website. The team isn’t horrible but the issue is at RB. We kept Hopkins and OBJ. I remember Mahomes and Wilson at QB. The only RB in the first 15 picks was Gordon. Also got Evans, Ebron, Coutee Funchess, Hooper, Zeurlein, Bears. Have to start two RB and only have one (assuming Gordon shows up). I believe the draft picked the RBs over and there really isn’t much left to choose from. 
At first blush, this looks salvageable. Much more so if it's at least a 12-team league. 14-team or 16-team, even better.

Captain Obvious sez: You need to be in early and often on any FA running backs. Keep in mind that Alvin Kamara, at this time two years ago, was third banana behind Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson. 12 months ago, Philip Lindsay was a too-small scat guy that wasn't going to take carries from Royce Freeman. Whoever that guy is this season, he has to get on your squad. That means you'll have to take risks on hadn't-done-it-yet RBs and be willing to burn some of your WR chum, even if those wideouts "have potential".

As far as some additional details, this league is like your classic 2004 league. People hoard RBs. No one cares about QBs. And you can generally find a plug and play WR on the wire each week if you had to. Must start 2 RB no matter what. Start 2 WR. Also a flex spot. Most teams start 3 RB as I believe it is 0 PPR. So we car roll out 3 top WR. But going to get pummeled at RB.

Here is a sample trade offer. We give up Hopkins and Gordon. We get back Robert Woods, Jerick McKinnon, Kenyon Drake, and Ito Smith. As I mentioned earlier, because it is not an even exchange of players, we would also have to either throw in two more players or cut two players. That’s the type of offers that get bandied about in this league. 

The other issue I forgot to mention is that only certain teams will be legit trade targets. No point in trading to a stacked team and making that team unbeatable. Especially if it’s the commishes team. Will have to try to fleece a not so great team. Normally I would try to oversell players from a local NFL team. In this case it would be NE. And we have no Patriots on the roster so that option won’t work. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
As far as some additional details, this league is like your classic 2004 league. People hoard RBs. No one cares about QBs. And you can generally find a plug and play WR on the wire each week if you had to. Must start 2 RB no matter what. Start 2 WR. Also a flex spot. Most teams start 3 RB as I believe it is 0 PPR. So we car roll out 3 top WR. But going to get pummeled at RB.

Here is a sample trade offer. We give up Hopkins and Gordon. We get back Robert Woods, Jerick McKinnon, Kenyon Drake, and Ito Smith. As I mentioned earlier, because it is not an even exchange of players, we would also have to either throw in two more players or cut two players. That’s the type of offers that get bandied about in this league. 
Give it a little time and once teams see you're not desperate they will start being more fair with their offers.

I get that QBs are not valuable in start one redraft leagues but Mahomes could be an exception - I would shop him around for a second round type RB.

Maybe package Henderson and Brown to the Gurley owner for a solid RB option that gets no love like Carson or one of the rookies like Montgomery.  I think Henderson could be a decent option as well (although you said non-ppr so not as much).

Give it a little time and once teams see you're not desperate they will start being more fair with their offers.

I get that QBs are not valuable in start one redraft leagues but Mahomes could be an exception - I would shop him around for a second round type RB.

Maybe package Henderson and Brown to the Gurley owner for a solid RB option that gets no love like Carson or one of the rookies like Montgomery.  I think Henderson could be a decent option as well (although you said non-ppr so not as much).
Was just coming to say this.  That’s your target. The gurley owner.  I would honestly hang on to both qbs, obj, Hopkins, Evans and Ebron. 

Then try to trade the St. Louis backs for a decent back as mentioned above.  Maybe even split Gordon into two decent RB options?   Then you are ready to at least compete.   With Mahomes, OBJ and Hopkins, you are not so reliant on having a stud RB.  You have amazing backups/bye week guys at QB and WR.  Keep it that way.  This team will be fine.  Winning the league despite getting screwed would be the ultimate revenge. 

The other issue I forgot to mention is that only certain teams will be legit trade targets. No point in trading to a stacked team and making that team unbeatable. Especially if it’s the commishes team. Will have to try to fleece a not so great team. Normally I would try to oversell players from a local NFL team. In this case it would be NE. And we have no Patriots on the roster so that option won’t work. 
Have you posted your entire roster, or is there more?  And what about those WW RB's?  We all want to help you.  If you do plan on playing this out, be patient.  You have crap at RB, I admit, but you are studly everywhere else.

Some of you guys are missing the big picture here... these are people his son works with.  I’m guessing we’re looking at like an office league here and not people that work with a kid at McDonald’s given the buy in. Even if they stole all my players and filled my roster with 18 kickers I wouldn’t be risking damaging work relationships for my son over $350. 
If these were the people my son worked with, I'd go cutthroat on them and tell him to start getting his resume together. There are plenty of places to work and these guys will stab him in the back sooner or later.

Must start 2 RB no matter what. Start 2 WR. Also a flex spot.
IDK, the starting lineup looks decent enough to me.  I know you wouldn't have drafted it this way but it's not totally terrible.

P. Mahomes

RB M Gordon, ??

Hopkins, OBJ, Evans

Ebron

Legatron

CHI

RB is obviously a week spot but if M. Gordon does play you have only one hole in your roster at the position where sleepers are generally found throughout the year.

If these were the people my son worked with, I'd go cutthroat on them and tell him to start getting his resume together. There are plenty of places to work and these guys will stab him in the back sooner or later.
The people in the league are mostly from a place my son used to work. He already moved on to someplace else two years ago. However, he is still friends with and hangs out with a bunch of them. Some he didn’t have much to do with other than the league. 

So have you tried to in a constructive manner approach the league (not just the commish) and explain the attempts you made to live draft and the issues and ask if they would be willing to waive your entry fee for this year with your team being ineligible for any prize money? It might be a long shot but I know if I was one of the other 11 and the situation was explained and proposed to me I would say I was fine with having an 11 team prize pool due to the situation that occurred.

The people in the league are mostly from a place my son used to work. He already moved on to someplace else two years ago. However, he is still friends with and hangs out with a bunch of them. Some he didn’t have much to do with other than the league. 
The fact that many are friends of your son might help the cause in allowing your team to be out of the pay in and pay out due to the draft failure on the site.

The fact that many are friends of your son might help the cause in allowing your team to be out of the pay in and pay out due to the draft failure on the site.
This cause has long been squashed. The people in the league were the ones that WANTED to screw us over. The commish and the owners all agreed that the technical problem had nothing to do with them and they all demanded to proceed without us. There’s no one else in the entire league on our side. No campaigning, no calling on anyone's good side, no putting things to a vote. That ship has sailed.  

I doubt it.  They already showed their colors when they forced the draft to start without him.  And then to say a redraft can't be done, when the season doesn't start for over 3 weeks, come on man.  Really?  You can't get 12 guys together for a period of a few hours in the next 23 days?

Pretty much two options. Enter into the season making the best of it and hope that you can pick up some help on the WW when injuries hit or just walk away now and not even submit a lineup all year. What a bunch of A holes.

This. People like these aren't going to do fair two-way trades now ... they're all still in love with the teams they drafted.

I am a co owner with my son. Apparently only on person can be in the draft room representing a team. So the commish was trying to get both of us the one of us into the draft and the system wouldn’t let either one of us into the draft room. Ultimately we had neither one of us on the draft site, the commish couldn’t resolve the site access issue, tech support takes like two days to look into an issue, so he basically said there was no work around and started the draft. Commish either didn’t know how to stop and start draft or replace picks or was unwilling to do so. So we kept trying to get logged on without success. Commish basically said he was busy drafting and was no longer willing to try to fix the problem mid draft. We tried for over two hours (plus the original four hours) and then gave up).
Were both of you continually trying to log on to the site?  It may have been an issue on your guys side if you were both trying to log on where it would keep kicking you off.  Regardless, the draft should have been stopped until one of you got on the site. 

Were both of you continually trying to log on to the site?  It may have been an issue on your guys side if you were both trying to log on where it would keep kicking you off.  Regardless, the draft should have been stopped until one of you got on the site. 
Initially I didn’t try to login at all. Then I tried and couldn’t get on. They they tried to leave me out of it. Then they tried to remove and insert a new team with just my son’s info. Nothing seemed to work for some reason (which still has not been figured out).

We already mapped out a plan and he was going to be the drafter and grand I would either talk on phone or text about picks. 

Initially I didn’t try to login at all. Then I tried and couldn’t get on. They they tried to leave me out of it. Then they tried to remove and insert a new team with just my son’s info. Nothing seemed to work for some reason (which still has not been figured out).

We already mapped out a plan and he was going to be the drafter and grand I would either talk on phone or text about picks. 
Makes sense.  Sounds like it's just a bad drafting interface and set up.  No matter what,  the Commish needs to take charge and ensure everyone has the opportunity to draft in someway.  I have had a similar situation happen as a Commish and I just open a line (either phone, text, etc) to the team that cannot log in and draft for them that way.  It's a pain for the Commish but that is why he gets paid the big bucks....to make sure everyone is represented fairly. 

I am ready to take the commish outside and have a few words. Last year for Week 1, a team didn’t submit a lineup and he didn’t make any attempt to reach out to the owner. Of course, he was playing that team. He said not his job to do anything. His team had the lowest score of the week. His team would have gotten gotten annihilated. 

I am ready to take the commish outside and have a few words. Last year for Week 1, a team didn’t submit a lineup and he didn’t make any attempt to reach out to the owner. Of course, he was playing that team. He said not his job to do anything. His team had the lowest score of the week. His team would have gotten gotten annihilated. 
Time to impeach the Commish and overthrow his regime...........

I'm a very petty person, so I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice on this. But in this situation, I would 100%:

1.) Drop all my good players and pickup all the Kickers / Defenses. Completely ruin the competitive balance of the league and bogard all the extra kickers and defenses. Works best if you can do this without immediately getting kicked. Like gradually grabbing 3 kickers a week.

2.) Start making moronic trades that help everyone else but the commish. Everyone gets a free WR except the commissioner.

3.) Make a back alley deal with one or two teams to recuperate some of your league fees. "Trade player X for $25" and so forth.

Best of luck!

Blame the commish.  I had this problem a few years ago.  Was on vacation and lost connection to the draft and it auto picked a QB I did not want as I already had 2.  Called commish and had him pause draft, he retracted the player I took and gave me who I wanted.  It is very simple for the person running the league to pause the draft.

Sorry to hear about this. I think your team is pretty strong if you can pick the waiver wire. I'm amazed that people would voluntarily agree to use the NFL.com website. It crashes on me 90% of the time I have gone there for anything. One of the worst "premium" websites in existence. Whether sports related or otherwise. Was not surprised to hear they had connectivity issues.

Have you actually asked the league about the following option, or are you just assuming this based on their reaction at draft time?  If you haven't asked, it certainly won't hurt to.  You never know what might happen

So have you tried to in a constructive manner approach the league (not just the commish) and explain the attempts you made to live draft and the issues and ask if they would be willing to waive your entry fee for this year with your team being ineligible for any prize money? It might be a long shot but I know if I was one of the other 11 and the situation was explained and proposed to me I would say I was fine with having an 11 team prize pool due to the situation that occurred.
This cause has long been squashed. The people in the league were the ones that WANTED to screw us over. The commish and the owners all agreed that the technical problem had nothing to do with them and they all demanded to proceed without us. There’s no one else in the entire league on our side. No campaigning, no calling on anyone's good side, no putting things to a vote. That ship has sailed.  

My son is more inclined to sell the team than keep it. He’s still pretty peeved and doesn’t want to deal with these people, especially the commish. He makes a compelling argument 

That makes sense. Sell it for what you can get. Cut your losses. Move on. Then put a burning pile of poo on the commish's front porch.

My son is more inclined to sell the team than keep it. He’s still pretty peeved and doesn’t want to deal with these people, especially the commish. He makes a compelling argument 
Since you don't have any real connection with these guys and your son is ready to say F it with them, I'd go with his decision.  

I think personally, I'd do everything in my power to try and win back my money.  Then go into next year without paying, again not drafting.... then telling them pound sand and asking how it felt to get ####ed over when they asked for the money.  Then I'd leave the league.  There are too many good fantasy leagues to stay in a bad one.

Alternatively...  I might also quit now if I were you.  I'd write a message to the whole league... something along the lines of....  "It's unfortunate that your greed and selfishness has affected even a small part of my joy for this sport and for fantasy in general.  I want you all to know that I consider each and every one of you as much of a thief as any man convicted in a court of larceny.  You may think yourselves decent men, but a decent man does the right thing even when it doesn't benefit him.  If I ever considered any of you a friend, I know now that was in error.  Enjoy the stolen "donation" of $350 that you all were so eager to take.  I am now done with this league and with all of you.  I will be dropping all of my players and will not be turning in a lineup for any game this season.  Wait?  That upsets the competitive balance of the league?  #### off.  You proved you weren't concerned about competitive balance when you ####ed us over in the draft.  Have a great season guys." 

Then I'd go through with dropping all the players on my team and never pay attention to that league again.  Is it petty... yes probably, but sometimes pettiness is exactly what is needed when confronted with greed.

Then I'd go through with dropping all the players on my team and never pay attention to that league again.  Is it petty... yes probably, but sometimes pettiness is exactly what is needed when confronted with greed.
Between the commissioner's incompetence and nfl.com's terrible site/mechanics, they probably wouldn't be able or know how to un-drop the players.  Talk about league implosion that is well deserved!

even if this was all your fault in forgetting to pay your interweb bills or didn't know how to turn on your router or you don't know what a router is, on face value of what's posted here it's on the commish. if this was straight redraft i may be inclined to say tough luck, move on. but it's a keeper, even if only two players. this reeks of bad management all around even if i can understand the challenges facing the commish on a last minute issue like this after organizing everyone.

have to say it's funny who started this thread. did you try "do you know who i am"?

love all the plans posted here on how to ruin the league. :lmao: probably don't do those things.

The funny part is that the draft stuff is starting to look humorous by comparison. Been sitting in airports all day long. Over six hours so far. Finally have a plane to get on and there is no flight crew. 

Not sure why we couldn’t have held the draft do over today. I had PLENTY of time. 

Alternatively...  I might also quit now if I were you.  I'd write a message to the whole league... something along the lines of....  "It's unfortunate that your greed and selfishness has affected even a small part of my joy for this sport and for fantasy in general.  I want you all to know that I consider each and every one of you as much of a thief as any man convicted in a court of larceny.  You may think yourselves decent men, but a decent man does the right thing even when it doesn't benefit him.  If I ever considered any of you a friend, I know now that was in error.  Enjoy the stolen "donation" of $350 that you all were so eager to take.  I am now done with this league and with all of you.  I will be dropping all of my players and will not be turning in a lineup for any game this season.  Wait?  That upsets the competitive balance of the league?  #### off.  You proved you weren't concerned about competitive balance when you ####ed us over in the draft.  Have a great season guys." 

All along I have been saying you should just try to win the league but I like this idea if you decide to bail.

Also, selling the team isn't a bad option.

Stumbled across this thread about an hour ago and just got done reading all 3 pages (at work, don't judge my reading proficiency). 

Anyway, few things that have been mentioned already and 1 thing I'm don't think has been specifically brought up:

Already mentioned, but still would like to reiterate:

• Yes, you got screwed; the commish and likely the rest of the league sound like a bunch of D-bags and after this year it's best to simply cut ties (you said your son was still sorta friends with a few guys, but obviously not good friends to let this happen)
  • your RB depth is your biggest weak point (obviously), but not the end of the world. 
  • your WR corp is possibly the best I've seen & Evans has the potential to be a top 5 WR this year himself and he's your WR3!
  • Best QB, DST, & K all aford you point advantages at those positions
  • top 10 (maybe higher) QB as your backup = trade chip once season is underway
  • actively add the speculative FA's; specifically in the RB position
With the above being said, you can turn heel screw the league over and/or go with a number of the revenge scenarios mentioned previously...or, you can just be a shark and try to win this thing. 

With the roster you mentioned, you may not be the best team, but i'm 100% sure you're far from the worst. while it's an uphill battle, I'd still take the high road and do my best to win. 

1 thing I don't believe was mentioned:

• look at any clear-ish RB handcuff that's a FA. Dumb any deadweight you have on your roster that either a.) isn't gonna start or b.) doesn't have high upside and pick up all those handcuffs. As we all know from basically EVERY football season, there will always be a RB who emerges that was never drafted, but the situation should have been more obvious to us prior to the season starting. 
Regardless what you decide to do, it's a bad situation, but instead of making yourself more upset, make the most of a bad situation and turn it into an Underdog Story of Fantasy Football Payback!

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
It's easy to understand why you would want to be rid of it. I think I would too. It's a reminder for 5 months of how you feel you were mistreated. Probably better to just cut ties. Someone here, without any emotional ties, might be interested in buying it.

What would you sell it for? Do you have link to the league? Payout structure? Etc?

FWIW - not me. Not interested in leagues on that site.

Edit. Another thought. Just let someone else take it over for a chop. You don't  need to think about it anymore. If they win anything,  you just split it.

Anarchy99 said:
I think that might be for the best at this point. Break even & move on.

regardless that you’ve actually got a pretty solid team & with trades could compete, that’s not really the point. 

Just a terrible foot to start off on. 

wlwiles said:
Start 1QB?  If so, package Wilson and a WR for the best RB you can find and go stomp their asses.  And pray that Gurley gets lots of rest.  Hawk the wire for RBs, maybe threaten murder for the top waiver priority for the first week. 

You did get screwed, and I would give the commish absolute hell all year long, but you’ve got a competitive team. 
Late to the party but that RB sitch is beyond terrible.  He’s going to have to move mahomes.  

Users who are viewing this thread