What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk coolers (1 Viewer)

The best one I ever bought was a red Igloo one on wheels about 20 years ago. I still have that thing, and have fixed the hinges and drain plug multiple times. This thing keeps stuff cold forever.

I've taken this thing on weekend canoe trips before and it still has ice on Sunday evening when I get home. Cost me about $30 at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have one of the Ozark Trail ones you can get from Walmart.  I think it was $130.  We use it all summer long in the Florida heat.  It easily keeps things on ice 5-6 days.  If you're not in and out of it often it would last longer.

We have one of the Ozark Trail ones you can get from Walmart.  I think it was $130.  We use it all summer long in the Florida heat.  It easily keeps things on ice 5-6 days.  If you're not in and out of it often it would last longer.
The key to cooler success.

One of my pet peeves are kids (and my wife frankly) who grab something out of the cooler and just drops the lid without latching it or making sure the lid is all the way down.  :hot:

I don't have one but I know people who love their RTIC https://www.rticcoolers.com/ coolers.
I’m in dire need, as my POS 25 year old plastic cooler doesn’t even hold ice for 24 hours.  Extremely aggravating when camping.  

Been eyeing up an RTIC, as they are at a roughly 35% discount to similarly sized YETIs.  Reviews are very favorable as well.  May hold out until the fall and see what sales places like REI/##### Sporting Goods have on YETI or similar since they likely don’t like to inventory coolers over the Minnesota winter.

while not a Walmart fanboy, I have the Ozark Trail can cooler, thermos style cup and soft sided cooler. 

My sister has similar all from Yeti.  Side by side, you can't tell the difference in terms of performance.  They clearance them out all at the end of summer for crazy prices.  The soft sided coolers were less than $10 when I bought 4 of them.  The 40 oz cup was like $5.  Set up an alert on Slickdeals and you won't regret it. 

I'm in the market for a rotomolding cooler but don't want to shell out Yeti money. Anyone have any experience with a lower cost alternative?  I'm looking at a monoprice "Pure Outdoor" 50L for $150. 

Give me some options.
I really don't know much about coolers. I've got a massive Igloo that I use a lot, and some smaller ones. High end coolers, I know nothing about (outside of Cambro/Carlisle catering stuff).

But to get good answers to your question from those that know, I'd think you need to be more specific about what you need this cooler to do. Cooler prices and abilities vary greatly. You looking for something cheap to keep beer cold for a night? Or are you going on a 10-day camping trip with a lot of at-risk food and no access to ice? Somewhere in between? 

The key to cooler success.

One of my pet peeves are kids (and my wife frankly) who grab something out of the cooler and just drops the lid without latching it or making sure the lid is all the way down.  :hot:
It's an exercise in futility in my house :wall:  

ETA:  And my wife is the worst.  She's a scientist, so I took the opportunity to steer my son towards doing a "which cooler keeps the ice best?" experiment for his science fair project to prove the point.

I really don't know much about coolers. I've got a massive Igloo that I use a lot, and some smaller ones. High end coolers, I know nothing about (outside of Cambro/Carlisle catering stuff).

But to get good answers to your question from those that know, I'd think you need to be more specific about what you need this cooler to do. Cooler prices and abilities vary greatly. You looking for something cheap to keep beer cold for a night? Or are you going on a 10-day camping trip with a lot of at-risk food and no access to ice? Somewhere in between? 
I just spent a week camping at our county fair. We have an old cooler that we keep drinks in for the week. We had to buy ice every day to keep them cold. I would like something that will keep ice for days instead of hours.

One of the best ways you can help your cooler hold cold ice is to pre-chill it with ice water before loading it. 

Absolutely love my Rtic 45. Keep it in the bed of my truck under the black bedcover and it’ll keep ice for 4 days.  @[icon]is 100% correct though, loading it up and dumping in ice will only last 1-2 days. But after that initial chill, refill it and it’ll go 4 days easy 

Yes, though there is a sweet spot of ice and melted water ratio that seems to make beer submerged in it as cold as it can get w out freezing. 
I get the perception, but water is always warmer than ice.  When packing my cooler, I put a small layer of ice on the bottom, all my cans/bottles then load up the top.  You can't tell I have anything in the cooler by the time I am done packing that sucker with ice. :lol:  

Yes, though there is a sweet spot of ice and melted water ratio that seems to make beer submerged in it as cold as it can get w out freezing. 
Our last trip there was a bottom layer of slush where it froze the cans and bottles in the ice. We had to break it apart to get beer out. It was glorious lol

I camp a lot so a cooler is crucial to me.

I have a Grizzly (its horrible) a RITC (its really good for the price check their website as they are always having sales) and I just bought a Coleman xtreme this spring at Walmart for $49 as more or less something to carry ice in.  I wasnt really expecting much as far as the quality goes but the xtreme is the bomb.  The trick to that cooler (or any of them really) is to make sure it is cooled off before loading it.  I normally put a bag of ice in for about 30 minutes to get the temp down.  ONce its down load it and pack it with ice and it should keep for at least 2 days. 

I like the ones with wheels and pull out handles. A big cooler loaded up with ice and cans is pretty darn heavy.
Yep. Gotta have wheels at this point for me. I'm getting to old to hoist a cooler onto my shoulder. Might break a hip or something.

RTIC 45 Hard-side (paid ~$100 on sale) 

RTIC 30 Soft-side (paid ~$70 on sale)

RTIC 8 soft-side (paid ~$10 on sale) 

Big fan of all 3

Also got a killer deal on Coleman Extreme 70s for the bbq team. 4 for $100 at Home Depot thanks to slickdeals. 

Finally have my old Igloo “coffin cooler” that is about 4’ long and will keep a party/cookout going for a weekend. Also good for carrying a ton of meat. Needs two folks to carry it though. 

Where are you guys storing coolers that they need to be cooled down before using?  Not questioning you guys and at first thought I guess it makes sense, but I've never had to do this and I live in Florida and my coolers are either on my pool deck or in the garage.

Should throw this out there too...when packing meat/perishable foods, I pack in ice then throw some salt in for good measure.  Make sure you take a chiseling device of some sort with you.  Do this with buckets of fish we catch too instead of dirtying up the live well on a boat etc.

A few large chunks of ice help.  I usually freeze water in a couple of those disposable tupperware containers or half gallon milk jugs.  
Water ballons work too, and make for great family fun when totally melted with nearly ice cold water. 

Wait...wut?

Isn't this what the live well is for? To get dirty with the fish so your coolers don't have to? 
Well, I have a 34 foot fishing boat we go out in the ocean with and the live wells are DEEP and in the floor of the boat.  So if we are going snapper fishing or deep dropping and they aren't big game fish it's easier to put them in the buckets in the cooler.  If we are going mahi fishing then we use the wells as our ice chests.  There are very few fish here in Florida that you have to keep live.  Certain kinds of grouper and lobster are about all that we keep live.

People go nuts for the Yeti coolers around here.  They even put Yeti stickers on their cars and trucks.

Where are you guys storing coolers that they need to be cooled down before using?  Not questioning you guys and at first thought I guess it makes sense, but I've never had to do this and I live in Florida and my coolers are either on my pool deck or in the garage.
Mine are on a rack in the garage.  It makes a huge difference to drop a unopened back of ice or block of ice some time before to the the insides chilled down.  Its an old trick that we use here

My garage In Memphis.. usually 80-90 in the summer depending on if I’ve had the door open and how hot it is.  

For normal one day use it’s not a big deal, but if you’re packing a cooler for a weekend, pre-cooling (and loading with already cold beer) is a pretty big difference. 

My garage In Memphis.. usually 80-90 in the summer depending on if I’ve had the door open and how hot it is.  

For normal one day use it’s not a big deal, but if you’re packing a cooler for a weekend, pre-cooling (and loading with already cold beer) is a pretty big difference. 
hmmm....I'll have to try this.  I usually get 5-6 days of ice without doing this...I'll see if it adds time next time I need to use it.

I get the perception, but water is always warmer than ice.  When packing my cooler, I put a small layer of ice on the bottom, all my cans/bottles then load up the top.  You can't tell I have anything in the cooler by the time I am done packing that sucker with ice. :lol:  
A beer bobbing around in ice water will colder, quicker, than if lying in ice alone. Surface area and all that...it's science. I'll start with all ice but I welcome a little meltage to get things sloshing around a little in there.

For the long-term preservation of ice though, if that's the goal, I suppose getting rid of the water makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread