What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the most iconic movie score? (1 Viewer)

What is the most iconic movie score?

• The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Jaws

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 67 44.4%
  • Rocky

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Halloween

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • The Godfather

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • The Pink Panther

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Chariots of Fire

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Superman

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
Some solid options on that list.  I might add Great Escape, Two Mules for Sister Sara (Not his strongest effort but the score is so irritating that it comes racing back) and The Sting.

Braveheart

Matrix

Jurassic Park

Dark Knight

I could go on and on with these that just come to mind...

eta - voted Indiana Jones

Last edited by a moderator:
Love The Godfather (obviously) but had to go 2001.  Not surprised Star Wars is winning (and it is a good one) as that theme is ubiquitous while 2001 is from a single movie in the 1960's.

Love The Godfather (obviously) but had to go 2001.  Not surprised Star Wars is winning (and it is a good one) as that theme is ubiquitous while 2001 is from a single movie in the 1960's.
I voted for Star Wars but maybe it was cheating as I didn't just count the main theme but the entire first trilogy of music which is really like like a symphonic cycle itself. 

I voted for Star Wars but maybe it was cheating as I didn't just count the main theme but the entire first trilogy of music which is really like like a symphonic cycle itself. 
I did as well.  The fact that you can identify characters and scene by the music pushes it to the top for me.

Braveheart

Matrix

Jurassic Park

Dark Knight

I could go on and on with these that just come to mind...

eta - voted Indiana Jones
I've seen all of those- outside of the Matrix, which has a couple individual songs I remember- I can't even think of the music. to me- not iconic scores. 

all of the ones listed in teh OP are to me solid examples of the music being as integral and iconic as the movie. I went with Good Bad and Ugly, but love the Sting call-out a few posts up.

I think age will play a factor here.  All these are great scores.  And for me Star Wars probably means the most.  But the question was most Iconic and only one of those was actually taught if you were in band. (School system growing up required you to learn an instrument, 2 years of classes). 

Chariots of Fire

Not my favorite but I had to vote for it.

I've seen all of those- outside of the Matrix, which has a couple individual songs I remember- I can't even think of the music. to me- not iconic scores. 

all of the ones listed in teh OP are to me solid examples of the music being as integral and iconic as the movie. I went with Good Bad and Ugly, but love the Sting call-out a few posts up.
First thing that pops into my head for these movies is the music score.  Easily iconic scores. 

I agree with all listed here.. but for a few I have never seen.

Of course, like I said - all of these scores pop right into my head, along with so many more, so maybe the scores stick with me for a lot of movies?

eta - how can you not even think of the music for these movies?  google them, it will come back to you.

First thing that pops into my head for these movies is the music score.  Easily iconic scores. 

I agree with all listed here.. but for a few I have never seen.

Of course, like I said - all of these scores pop right into my head, along with so many more, so maybe the scores stick with me for a lot of movies?

eta - how can you not even think of the music for these movies?  google them, it will come back to you.
for me... iconic score means I don't have to google it. 

but that's the beauty of music... can affect different people in different ways.

Chariots of Fire

Not my favorite but I had to vote for it.
Had no idea where that was actually from.  I only knew it from Old School 😄

Many of these are great.  The answer is Star Wars pretty easily I think.  Most recognizable amongst any age pretty much.  

Remember, most iconic doesnt mean it has to be your favorite.

Lots of good choices there but...

Other:

Once Upon A Time In America by Ennio Morricone is the greatest musical score in the history of film.

STAR WARS

BOM, BUM, BUM, BUM. BA-BA-BA-BA-BA- BUH, BUH, BUH, BUHHHHH.

BUM, BUM, BUM, BUMM, BUMMM, BUMMMM, BUMMM

BUMM, BUMM, BUMM, BUMM, BUMM

BUM, BUM, BUM, BUM.

*a few octaves higher*

BUM BUM, BUMMMM, BUM, BUM, BUM, BUM BUM BUMMMM

Ngl Harry Potter

This John Williams guy seems pretty good

Edit: Inception by Hans Zimmer

Most Iconic: Godfather (though John Williams should be considered as seriously as Stravinsky & Gershwin for greatest 20th C composer, themes for cartoons count less)

Most effective: Jaws

Most evocative: i  feel the theme from Year of Living Dangerously in my head, heart & 'jones instantly & simultaneously

Favorite: Last Tango in Paris

Most Iconic: Godfather (though John Williams should be considered as seriously as Stravinsky & Gershwin for greatest 20th C composer, themes for cartoons count less)

Most effective: Jaws

Most evocative: i  feel the theme from Year of Living Dangerously in my head, heart & 'jones instantly & simultaneously

Favorite: Last Tango in Paris
The Strauss song featured in it is the piece that really stuck out to me. I forgot Vangelis did a score for it.

Not my favorite, but the Platoon soundtrack is very good.  Liked it enough after the movie that I bought the cassette.

The Strauss song featured in it is the piece that really stuck out to me. I forgot Vangelis did a score for it.
I love it when moviemakers find arias that fit their films - Kiri Te Kanawa here and Maria Callas in Philadelphia come quickly to mind - cuz it's really the only time i get their power & poignancy, or at least am still awake when they get to it.

It really depends on if we're talking a song that defines the movie, or the score as a whole.  

A movie like Jaws, the entire movie was affected by the score.  It helped add suspense to the movie as a whole.  

Same thing with Star Wars.  You knew if you were gonna see Vader/Luke/Leia etc. even before they showed up because of the music.  

Some of the others, like Godfather or Indiana Jones.... The score was great, but the movie wasn't exactly enhanced by it.  

I chose Star Wars personally.  

A couple more recent movies(in the last 20 years) where I feel the score is integral to the movie.... 

Pirates of the Caribbean

Gladiator

My favorite movie score was in Youngblood when he started his penalty shot by skating past the puck and dragging his skate to kick it ahead.  Great score.  I think that was Peter Zezel who actually did the hockey scoring.

so many good options on the list. several of them went through my head before I clicked the link to read the options but Star Wars was first and foremost before I clicked and after I read through it, even thought I did say "oooh, that's a good one" on multiple occasions while traversing the list.

another one of those was it a song or score...

from the movie If, I remember songs from missa luba being used... iconic to me at my first viewing, and still strongly identify the album with the movie- even if it was only a track or two in reality.

I saw John Williams perform Superman live with the Boston Pops.  It was incredible.
The entire list of epic scores could just be just a list of John William's movies.  Jaws, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Valley of the Dools, fiddler on the Roof, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Arc, ET, Jurrasic Park, 

Yep-those are called leitmotifs  and they are all so good and memorable
Wagner.

Voted Requiem For A Dream for pure score.

I suppose "iconic" should go to Star Wars or Rocky.  Amazing how the seventies and nineties keep creeping up the pop art/artistic ladder, while the mid-to-late sixties just fades. 

Users who are viewing this thread