What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many drugs are you routinely prescribed? (1 Viewer)

this many drugs...

• None

Votes: 105 51.0%

Votes: 44 21.4%

Votes: 19 9.2%

Votes: 14 6.8%

Votes: 7 3.4%

Votes: 5 2.4%

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 7 or more

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters
Anyone else use PillPack?

Love it!
With what I'm on, with the frequency I'm on them, I'm wondering if this would be good for me.

I take 1 pill in the morning, 1 before lunch, 1 before leaving work, and then 2 at bedtime.  

I have a good system (a bottle of 1 at work for the middle two occurrences) so I don't know if I even need it.

I've heard good things though.
Not sure. You would get a roll with four packs per day, and would have to take two packs with you, but they are small and would be easy to take along. Might be a PITA, though. You can have vitamins and other non-prescription meds included as well.

I love it because it helps me make sure I have taken my pills, with out having to separate them myself. Lazy! It is also nice and easy for travel. You just peel off the days you are going to be gone and you are set! I also like have the automatically delivered every month, again LAZY!

If I may ask, what type of infection is the antibiotic for? You’re probably more likely to experience side effects from Bactrim than Levaquin, but all the serious ones are rare.
Prostatitis. Probably.

They may be rare but can be really nasty and permanent. Plus I read Levaquin is actually being discontinued by the manufacturer next year because of lawsuits. Red flag.

Are you a doc or pharmacist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully the ses aren't too bad for you, especially the cancer related meds.

Thanks.  4 rounds of the Keytruda in and I’m feeling good.  I tolerate the infusions very well and feel good afterwards.  Had some nausea since the last treatment but it’s been very isolated.

The oral chemo pill definitely raised my BP.  So they upped the dose of the second BP they put me on in anticipation of that side effect.  BP is okay.  Averaging high end of normal mostly.

New scans between infusions 5&6 in about a month to see where I stand.  Overall I’m very lucky in that I generally feel good and am tolerating treatment well.

Thanks.  4 rounds of the Keytruda in and I’m feeling good.  I tolerate the infusions very well and feel good afterwards.  Had some nausea since the last treatment but it’s been very isolated.

The oral chemo pill definitely raised my BP.  So they upped the dose of the second BP they put me on in anticipation of that side effect.  BP is okay.  Averaging high end of normal mostly.

New scans between infusions 5&6 in about a month to see where I stand.  Overall I’m very lucky in that I generally feel good and am tolerating treatment well.
Awesome. Chemo made me a bit nauseous. The taste of food was my biggest problem and appetite. The meds I take make me very low energy, brain fog and fatigued. Most of the time I want to lie down and try to doze. My life is planned day to day. If it's not so bad I go grocery shopping and take care of errands. I love how you take something but need to now take something else to prevent a bad side effect. I have a med like that that turned to 2 more.

Continued best wishes to you.  Xx

Awesome. Chemo made me a bit nauseous. The taste of food was my biggest problem and appetite. The meds I take make me low energy and fatigued. Most of the time I want to lie down and try to doze. My life is planned day to day. If it's not so bad I go grocery shopping and take care of errands. I love how you take something but need to now take something else to prevent a bad side effect. I have a med like that that turned to 2 more.

Continued best wishes to you.  Xx
Thank you.

The tiredness/fatigue is slight but I notice it.  I’m noticing the change in appetite and the taste in foods now.  I’m definitely consciously eating less because the nausea is worse if I eat too much or really heavy food.

Thank you.

The tiredness/fatigue is slight but I notice it.  I’m noticing the change in appetite and the taste in foods now.  I’m definitely consciously eating less because the nausea is worse if I eat too much or really heavy food.
For sure. It was colder weather so light soups with a lot of broth, ginger ale, crackers, toast, jello, pudding were always around. The key is also don't let your stomach go empty or you'll get nauseous. Lots of light snacking. If it should get bad, ask for zofran. It's a common anti nauseous med that works well. It's one of the pre chemo meds they give you prior to infusions. 

For sure. It was colder weather so light soups with a lot of broth, ginger ale, crackers, toast, jello, pudding were always around. The key is also don't let your stomach go empty or you'll get nauseous. Lots of light snacking. If it should get bad, ask for zofran. It's a common anti nauseous med that works well. It's one of the pre chemo meds they give you prior to infusions. 
The empty stomach thing makes sense.  The most bouts of nausea have been in the morning right after I wake up.  With the Keytruda infusion I don’t get pre-meds.  If the nausea keeps ramping up maybe I’ll ask for something but I’d rather not add another med on top of what I take already.

Thank you.

I also stocked up on ensure since I didn't have an appetite for meat and dairy..

The empty stomach thing makes sense.  The most bouts of nausea have been in the morning right after I wake up.  With the Keytruda infusion I don’t get pre-meds.  If the nausea keeps ramping up maybe I’ll ask for something but I’d rather not add another med on top of what I take already.
You want to stay ahead of nausea. When it starts to ramp up is when you should take anti nausea med. Once it's pretty full blown it's hard to get it under control since chemo is cumulative. It's like when they tell you after surgery to stay ahead of the pain. 

Prostatitis. Probably.

They may be rare but can be really nasty and permanent. Plus I read Levaquin is actually being discontinued by the manufacturer next year because of lawsuits. Red flag.

Are you a doc or pharmacist?
Oh, OK. Your doctor should have a urine culture to indicate the best antibiotic for your infection, though fluoroquinolones like Levaquin are preferred first line agents due to their excellent penetration of prostate tissue. Typically Cipro is used, as it is a little less broad spectrum than Levaquin. And the recommended duration of therapy is 4-6 weeks.

I didn't realize Levaquin was being discontinued, though I see some stuff on the internet suggesting this is the case. Interesting because most of the serious side effects are possible for all fluoroquinolones, and none of the others are being recalled/discontinued to my knowledge. As a class, they're one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics.

And yes, I'm a healthcare provider.

Oh, OK. Your doctor should have a urine culture to indicate the best antibiotic for your infection, though fluoroquinolones like Levaquin are preferred first line agents due to their excellent penetration of prostate tissue. Typically Cipro is used, as it is a little less broad spectrum than Levaquin. And the recommended duration of therapy is 4-6 weeks.

I didn't realize Levaquin was being discontinued, though I see some stuff on the internet suggesting this is the case. Interesting because most of the serious side effects are possible for all fluoroquinolones, and none of the others are being recalled/discontinued to my knowledge. As a class, they're one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics.

And yes, I'm a healthcare provider.
Thanks for all the good info. Levaquin was once a day for 2 weeks. Bactrim now twice a day for 3 weeks. Went to a urologist. Primary care thought maybe BPH and gave Flomax. Ordered a pelvic ultrasound and all looked normal. Flomax seems to help some. Urologist said prostate seems normal size so most likely prostatitis.

Thanks for all the good info. Levaquin was once a day for 2 weeks. Bactrim now twice a day for 3 weeks. Went to a urologist. Primary care thought maybe BPH and gave Flomax. Ordered a pelvic ultrasound and all looked normal. Flomax seems to help some. Urologist said prostate seems normal size so most likely prostatitis.
Hmmm. Surely, somebody checked urinalysis and culture at some point? The diagnosis of prostatitis is made after an exam (finger in butt, with prostate massage) and positive post-exam urine culture:

Prostatitis is not easily diagnosed or classified. Patients with prostatitis often present with varied, nonspecific symptoms, and the physical examination is frequently not helpful. The traditional diagnostic test for differentiating types of prostatitis is the Stamey-Meares four-glass localization method.5 It includes bacterial cultures of the initial voided urine (VB1), midstream urine (VB2), expressed prostatic secretions (EPS), and a postprostatic massage urine specimen (VB3). The VB1 is tested for urethral infection or inflammation, and the VB2 is tested for urinary bladder infection. The prostatic secretions are cultured and examined for white blood cells (more than 10 to 20 per high-power field is considered abnormal). The postmassage urine specimen is believed to flush out bacteria from the prostate that remain in the urethra.

Hmmm. Surely, somebody checked urinalysis and culture at some point? The diagnosis of prostatitis is made after an exam (finger in butt, with prostate massage) and positive post-exam urine culture:
Got the digital intruder (no dinner first, how rude!) and left a urine sample but didn't hear back specifically about it. Had two other urine tests at primary doc before which came back normal (guessing they only test UTI?).

Urologist said they could test the other but they aren't always accurate. Seemed pretty certain I was probably prostatitis.

cap'n grunge said:
Got the digital intruder (no dinner first, how rude!) and left a urine sample but didn't hear back specifically about it. Had two other urine tests at primary doc before which came back normal (guessing they only test UTI?).

Urologist said they could test the other but they aren't always accurate. Seemed pretty certain I was probably prostatitis.
Double hmmm. The urologist is correct that the tests are imperfect, but they are the best we have. The idea is you check the urine first to rule out infection in the urethra or bladder, massage the prostate and test secretions for inflammatory cells, then check additional urine specimens to see what bacteria were coaxed out by the massage.

It takes some time and is pretty low tech, but the absence of inflammatory cells from prostatic secretions and negative post-massage urine cultures would ague against a diagnosis of prostatitis. Not having all the data, it's hard to know, but I doubt your primary physician would try to treat BPH if your cultures were positive.

It's just as likely the urologist wants to trial antibiotics and not be bothered with the time and effort to do the Stamey-Meares protocol. (S)he figures the antibiotics are fairly harmless, but I'd argue using the most narrow spectrum, least toxic antimicrobial, targeting culture results is better practice.

The General said:
46 - Have an open prescription for some sleep pill similar to Ambien. I take occasionally when traveling. Sleep like a baby on it. Not confirmed if I am walking around the hotel in my underwear.
What's the sleep aid? I need one other than Ambien.

44 yo

1 for gout prevention

also take fish oil on doctor's recommendation, but it's not prescribed.

What's the sleep aid? I need one other than Ambien.
Looking it up it’s just Ambien under a different name - Zolpidem. Sorry.

Have had great luck when using it to set sleep while traveling. I try to only take it a couple days a month and not multiple days in a row to keep it effective per the Doc.

Tried Melatonin and some other things with mixed success but this and reading a book or listening to a podcast usually works.

Terminalxylem said:
As to OP, 47 and none.

Id also be curious how many supplements/vitamins people take.

My answer is the same, zero.
Fish oil - 2 capsules/day

Baby aspirin - 1/day

D3 -  2 capsules/day

B12 - 1/day

Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc - 3 capsules/day 

Multi-vitamin - 1/day

Iron - 6 tables/day

I take 8 pills in the morning and 8 in the evening on top of my prescription meds.  I take the like I’m taking a shot of whiskey.  Lol

Have had borderline/high BP and cholesterol for a while. At my physical this summer doc gave me 6 months to make some changes. Have not gone hardcore so I might be looking at BP and cholesterol meds.

Just prescribed some antibiotics for an issue I've been dealing with for the past 5 weeks. I tend to stay away from meds whenever possible. Doc prescribed Levofloxacin. Then I read the black box warnings. Rare but serious side affects including tendonitis and tendons rupturing, permanent nervous system issues, etc. No thank you. You know it's a harsh drug when it's used to treat Anthrax exposure and the plague. Yikes. Asked if there were alternatives and got a longer period script for Bactrim for 3 weeks. Any experience? Hope it doesn't turn my system inside out.
I just took a few days of this and ALL of my joints have been killing me for the past few days. I obviously stopped taking it but damn I wish I read about it before I took it. I had taken it before so I assumed no issues but I guess not this time.

If you all have an alternative avoid levofloxacin and cipro... stuff can be bad news!

51--type one diabetic since I wss 7

I actually have 7 scripts I fill each month.

2 for blood pressure

1 for cholesterol 

2 types of insulin (Humalog and Lantus)

Then I have  one for my needles and blood testing strips. 

53 YO 

Started taking these about 3 or4 years ago,

Metoprolol B/P

Fenofibrate  cholesterol 

Rosuvastatin cholesterol 

Citalopram Mood and anxiety disorders

lorazepam  Anxiety 

Voted 4 Can anyone suggest a good memory drug?

Also take a Multivitamin, an Omega 3 fish oil, and a low dose aspirin.

I just took a few days of this and ALL of my joints have been killing me for the past few days. I obviously stopped taking it but damn I wish I read about it before I took it. I had taken it before so I assumed no issues but I guess not this time.

If you all have an alternative avoid levofloxacin and cipro... stuff can be bad news!
Levaquin is the devil.

So I ended up taking the Bactrim and after a few days had a bad allergic reaction. Fever, chills, rash all over. Ended up in the ER. Sucked. Took a few days to fully recover.

Doc said try the Levaquin. I reluctantly did. Mistake. Messed with my joints, especially my knees. Took just about the full two week script. Took months to feel normal again. Still think my knees were weakened because of it. Ligaments or whatever. I highly recommend avoiding.

Levaquin is the devil.

So I ended up taking the Bactrim and after a few days had a bad allergic reaction. Fever, chills, rash all over. Ended up in the ER. Sucked. Took a few days to fully recover.

Doc said try the Levaquin. I reluctantly did. Mistake. Messed with my joints, especially my knees. Took just about the full two week script. Took months to feel normal again. Still think my knees were weakened because of it. Ligaments or whatever. I highly recommend avoiding.
I gave up after 6 days... I didn't start hurting til day 4 or I would have bailed sooner.

Was just reading about it... sounds like it strips magnesium from the joints, which causes them to fail somehow. I'm going to try a mag supplement (and high mag foods) and glucosamine to see if that helps. I'll report back.

52 - none

I'll do everything in my power not to have to take prescription drugs. I'll change my diet, exercise more...whatever.

I do take these every day:

• vitamin C
  • vitamin D
  • Omega 3
  • Organic greens
  • Turmeric
  • hemp protein
  • chia seeds

Levaquin is the devil.

Around 12--14 years ago I had pneumonia.  Z-Pak didn't do anything.  Doctor put me on levaquin.  That knocked off the pneumonia and I didn't have any side effects.  

53 YO 

Started taking these about 3 or4 years ago,

Metoprolol B/P

Fenofibrate  cholesterol 

Rosuvastatin cholesterol 

Citalopram Mood and anxiety disorders

lorazepam  Anxiety 

Voted 4 Can anyone suggest a good memory drug?

Also take a Multivitamin, an Omega 3 fish oil, and a low dose aspirin.
I’m a fan of the metaprolol. Had borderline high bp for years and also my pulse had been running fast. Doc put me on low dose of metaprolol and it seems to work well in keeping my pressure and pulse down. No side effects that I can tell. Also interested in a memory drug. Anything safe and effective or is it all just snake oil?

Right now, none. Took metformin for about a year but stopped when I got things under control by paying attention to sugar and processed carbs, and started intermittent fasting. Been slacking for about a year now and a couple months ago my A1C was in the pre-diabetes range (6.1, IIRC). Gotta get back to good habits including apple cider vinegar.

Take C, D, K, magnesium, B complex, krill oil. I also take a multivitamin called Eyepromise Restore which was suggested by my eye doctor a few years ago when he noticed some drusen.

cap'n grunge said:
I’m a fan of the metaprolol. Had borderline high bp for years and also my pulse had been running fast. Doc put me on low dose of metaprolol and it seems to work well in keeping my pressure and pulse down. No side effects that I can tell. Also interested in a memory drug. Anything safe and effective or is it all just snake oil?
Snake oil. The standard advice is exercise regularly, eat healthy, stay socially active and optimize sleep hygiene. And coffee may decrease the risk of some types of dementia.

Snake oil. The standard advice is exercise regularly, eat healthy, stay socially active and optimize sleep hygiene. And coffee may decrease the risk of some types of dementia.

In one study blueberries has shown to work. I am unsure if this study has ever been replicated though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850944/

I read this study years ago and since I eat more blueberries than the average person I have great memory! Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence.

52 - none

I'll do everything in my power not to have to take prescription drugs. I'll change my diet, exercise more...whatever.

I do take these every day:

• vitamin C
  • vitamin D
  • Omega 3
  • Organic greens
  • Turmeric
  • hemp protein
  • chia seeds
Also 52 and none. And none of those supplements. I do eat lots of veggies (some organic) and use turmeric as a spice on occasion (such as in the excellent Moroccan dish I had for dinner)

FWIW - I take Tumeric for my knee after I had a knee replacement a few years ago. It was toal success but my other knee was worse. With herniated meniscus and some bone on bone . I started heavy supplement program (tumeric, chondroitin/glucosamine/msm, boswellia and collagen. No knee pain or inflammation for 18 months now. Noticed difference with turmeric within a few days. (Synvisc injections are next if ever needed as I did them for five years on the first knee). 
 However, saw my surgeon about four months ago and her husband is a Nephrologist and he  is seeing an increased incidence of kidney failure and blames Increased use of tumeric. He recommends taking a break from tumeric regularly (like every weekend for a couple days).
Sorry for the journey but maybe some knee thoughts here also.

Right now, none. Took metformin for about a year but stopped when I got things under control by paying attention to sugar and processed carbs, and started intermittent fasting. Been slacking for about a year now and a couple months ago my A1C was in the pre-diabetes range (6.1, IIRC). Gotta get back to good habits including apple cider vinegar.

Take C, D, K, magnesium, B complex, krill oil. I also take a multivitamin called Eyepromise Restore which was suggested by my eye doctor a few years ago when he noticed some drusen.
Go on about the good habits....what was your program?

45 and 2...1 for high blood pressure (that I can't seem to get rid of even the past 10 years having lost weight and remaining far more active...and yes, a long family history of blood pressure and heart issues...so I expect that one will stay as my bp does quite well now), and 1 for acid reflux.  My sleep doctor actually thinks the last one may improve after on the CPAP for a while.  Said he has had patients go off of such medications.

51yo  &   5 total for me
4 for allergies:    Singulair, Flonase nasal spray, Azelastine spray, and Sudafed       
Yes, i have an Rx for Flonase spray, even though you can now buy it OTC..........but the Rx lets me buy 3 spray bottles at the much cheaper Rx price!
And yes, i have an Rx for Sudafed.............It's the same "OTC box" that you have to request directly from the pharmacist & the same price, but the Rx lets me buy 3 boxes (30 pills) at a time (and i don't have to show ID)    vs   the restricted 1 box only purchase option where you have to show ID.

1 for Levothyroxine (Synthroid) for hypothyroidism:      It's a mild dosage that hasn't changed in yrs        <--I'm kind of surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned this yet

Judge Smails said:
Go on about the good habits....what was your program?
Really just a few things:

Avoiding sugar - usually just a problem during Halloween. I have not handed out Halloween candy in a couple years (not uncommon for me to eat 25% of what I bought to hand out and I only bought full size bars).

Avoiding processed carbs - toughest challenge for me. In the last years I've had about 1 pizza, no Ritz crackers, no bread and very little pasta. While I've managed to be pretty consistent with that. Somehow I started eating wraps and lots of them. Eliminating wraps, or at least greatly reducing their consumption, is the one thing I want to change right now.

Intermittent fasting - I usually do 16 to 22 hour fasts 5 days a week (when I don't eat after 8p). Surprisingly easy.

Diet might be called high fat, low carb. Sometimes use Cronometer website to remind myself how my macro numbers are doing. It really hard to get the carbs down in the desired range.

That's pretty much it. If I were to recommend a book. It would The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. However, a while back my son lost a bunch of weight just via CICO. His mom is more into high protein. Different strokes.

Good luck. 

For those taking turmeric supplements:

CONCLUSION

In light of the evidence that the small amounts of curcuminoids in turmeric powder are very poorly bioavailable, culinary quantities of turmeric powder added to foods for sensory purposes are unlikely to provide meaningful health benefits for the conditions reviewed. Based on current, preliminary evidence from human trials, curcuminoid extracts and other novel formulations may have potential to help manage symptoms of T2DM, MetS, and especially arthritis. Yet, due to inconsistent findings from trials that differ substantially in quality, and due to incomplete understanding of curcuminoids' effective doses and duration and of their safety and their interactions with comedications, it is premature to recommend their supplemental use to improve health in a clinical setting or in the general population. Future larger, longer, high-quality RCTs are needed to better characterize any potential health benefits of this spice's bioactive constituents.

For those taking turmeric supplements:
That's about the best conclusion you’ll see for any supplement, except vitamin D and fish oil.  A lot of people are wasting their money, with little to no scientific evidence to support taking most supplements, and potential for harm in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread