What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AI-Powered Highlight Reels (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Thought this was interesting from this morning's Axios Sports e-mail Newsletter.  (Which, by the way is really a great summary of interesting sports stuff going on across a wide variety of sports, society, technology, analytics, business, etc.)

Driving the news: WSC Sports, a Tel Aviv-based startup developing AI-powered sports video creation tools, recently closed a $23 million Series C round to bring the company's total funding to $39 million.

How it works: WSC Sports' AI technology analyzes sports broadcasts, identifies key plays, and combines them into highlight reels in near real-time. Those short-form clips are then published and distributed at scale for clients like the NBA and Bleacher Report.

The AI listens for crowd noise and understands that the louder the crowd, the more important the play was. It knows that multiple replays mean something big just happened, and it’s always aware of the score, the time and the situation.

As a result, it can construct a narrative of the game as the action unfolds and instantly produce a highlight reel recapping what went down.

Why it matters: This technology could revolutionize how sports networks and media outlets produce highlights, which remain a huge part of every sport fan's diet even if the glory days of Stuart Scott and "boo-yah" are over.

In fact, while some may argue that the sports highlight show is dead, highlights themselves are more ubiquitous than ever thanks to social media.

The big picture: In addition to taking over highlight-making duties, our robot overlords are also writing game previews and recaps — and that's actually been going on for a while now.

Newsflash: If you read a preview of a college basketball game or a recap of a minor league baseball game this year, there’s a good chance it was written by AI designed to turn data into natural language, rather than a human being assigned to cover that game.

Thought this was interesting from this morning's Axios Sports e-mail Newsletter.  (Which, by the way is really a great summary of interesting sports stuff going on across a wide variety of sports, society, technology, analytics, business, etc.)

Why it matters: This technology could revolutionize how sports networks and media outlets produce

highlights, which remain a huge part of every sport fan's diet even if the glory days of Stuart Scott and "boo-yah" are over.
Is the part in red as true today as it was 20-25 years ago? Maybe it's just been me that moved on. Used to live for Sports Center from the late 80s through to about 2005-06 or so.

Is the part in red as true today as it was 20-25 years ago? Maybe it's just been me that moved on. Used to live for Sports Center from the late 80s through to about 2005-06 or so.
I miss highlight shows.  When the internet came along, everyone would say, "But all of the highlights are online now."  But that wasn't true.  People just wanted to see the big dunks or the long home runs.  But I still wanted to see actual highlights of the game.  I miss that.  And I don't think I'm alone.  Not saying I'm the majority, but I'm guessing a lot of people miss those game highlights.

Every morning, I watch QuickPitch on MLB Network because it shows the highlights like old school SC.  But instead of using anchors trying to be funny with weird sayings, they just use the in game announcers.  I think it's perfect. 

I miss highlight shows.  When the internet came along, everyone would say, "But all of the highlights are online now."  But that wasn't true.  People just wanted to see the big dunks or the long home runs.  But I still wanted to see actual highlights of the game.  I miss that.  And I don't think I'm alone.  Not saying I'm the majority, but I'm guessing a lot of people miss those game highlights.

Every morning, I watch QuickPitch on MLB Network because it shows the highlights like old school SC.  But instead of using anchors trying to be funny with weird sayings, they just use the in game announcers.  I think it's perfect. 
The NFL's YouTube channel does produce a ~10 minute video summarizing each regular season and playoff game. Probably preseason, too, though I hadn't checked for those.

I do know exactly what you mean, though, about missing highlight shows. It was the way highlights were done on George Michael's Sports Machine, done by Warner Wolf on the CBS Morning News on weekday mornings, and done on ESPN Sports Center from full-head-of-hair Berman up through The Big Show's run. Highlights then serviced the reporting of the game results. So you didn't just know the final score, you learned of the turning tides within the game -- the splash plays, the knee-weakening Ks, the demoralizing poster dunk that opened up a 12-point lead.

The NFL's YouTube channel does produce a ~10 minute video summarizing each regular season and playoff game. Probably preseason, too, though I hadn't checked for those.

I do know exactly what you mean, though, about missing highlight shows. It was the way highlights were done on George Michael's Sports Machine, done by Warner Wolf on the CBS Morning News on weekday mornings, and done on ESPN Sports Center from full-head-of-hair Berman up through The Big Show's run. Highlights then serviced the reporting of the game results. So you didn't just know the final score, you learned of the turning tides within the game -- the splash plays, the knee-weakening Ks, the demoralizing poster dunk that opened up a 12-point lead.
God, just reading your post brought back such awesome memories.  It's weird to think that we're so old that sometimes you would open up the sports section of the newspaper and the game you wanted to hear about just said "Late Game" next to the teams.  There was no way to know what happened until the paper the NEXT day.  I think that's why I fell in love with SC when I first saw it.  It didn't matter if it was Calgary at Vancouver; They had the highlights and the scores that morning at breakfast.  And like you said, you didn't know who won until the highlight was over.

Honestly, as much as I loved the ticker at the bottom giving me updates constantly, I hated when they ran the ticker during SC.  Because it would spoil the highlight of who won.  Ahh... the good ol days of sports.

There was no way to know what happened until the paper the NEXT day.  I think that's why I fell in love with SC when I first saw it.
Gambling degenerates from the early 90's probably remember calling those "hotlines" where they would just run through all the college game-day scores. It was like a ticker with all the games, but on a voice-recording. You'd have to sit through 10 minutes of games just to hear the Tulane-Houston score that you had $20 on.  :lmao:

Gambling degenerates from the early 90's probably remember calling those "hotlines" where they would just run through all the college game-day scores. It was like a ticker with all the games, but on a voice-recording. You'd have to sit through 10 minutes of games just to hear the Tulane-Houston score that you had $20 on.  :lmao:
I remember them in the early 90's.  But I don't think they had them back in the mid 80's.  I remember hearing the news that Bernie Nicholls was traded from the Kings to the Rangers and screaming into my phone in anger.  That trade took place on January 20th, 1990.  So I was probably using that phone service in the late 80's.

I remember calling the Washington Post's line, but I didn't even gamble. We just didn't have LAN then.

Newsflash: If you read a preview of a college basketball game or a recap of a minor league baseball game this year, there’s a good chance it was written by AI designed to turn data into natural language, rather than a human being assigned to cover that game.
Hopefully these are better than the cbssportsline AI generated recaps of our weekly fantasy football games.  They read like a poorly designed computer writing Mad Libs recaps.

God, just reading your post brought back such awesome memories.
Back then, too, even local newscasts delved into sports highlights of at least major contests (on top of local teams).

Circa 1982, a Saturday night (10 pm Central) local-station newscast in New Orleans would show decent highlights of (teams made up):

- LSU vs. Georgia football (90 seconds)
- Tulane vs. Louisville football (90 seconds)
- Alabama vs. Tennessee football (45 seconds)
- Notre Dame vs. USC football (45 seconds)
- Penn State vs. West Viginia football (45 seconds)
- A handful of random single-play highlights with final scores superimposed (maybe 5 or 6 at 15 seconds each)

No NBA, NHL, or MLB locally, so we wouldn't get those highlights seven nights a week (well, never hockey :D ). But on weeknights, you'd see some baseball or basketball highlights to fill time.

God, just reading your post brought back such awesome memories.  It's weird to think that we're so old that sometimes you would open up the sports section of the newspaper and the game you wanted to hear about just said "Late Game" next to the teams.  There was no way to know what happened until the paper the NEXT day.  I think that's why I fell in love with SC when I first saw it.  It didn't matter if it was Calgary at Vancouver; They had the highlights and the scores that morning at breakfast.  And like you said, you didn't know who won until the highlight was over.

Honestly, as much as I loved the ticker at the bottom giving me updates constantly, I hated when they ran the ticker during SC.  Because it would spoil the highlight of who won.  Ahh... the good ol days of sports.
Wathcing NFL Primetime on Sunday, hoping to see your guy make the 300 yards passing, or 100 yards rushing/receiving lists, because if you didn't see them make that milestone you wouldn't know how they did until the paper came out the next day was peak fantasy football in my book.

Wathcing NFL Primetime on Sunday, hoping to see your guy make the 300 yards passing, or 100 yards rushing/receiving lists, because if you didn't see them make that milestone you wouldn't know how they did until the paper came out the next day was peak fantasy football in my book.
I remember being in a fantasy hockey league back in the late 80's.  Had to call the guy to put lineups in.  And then he would mail you the standings each week.  How was this even a thing?  :lol:

Ah the “good old days.”  I recall waking up early enough to catch the “late game” scores on the radio, because after the 8AM update they stopped reporting every score and just hit the locals and highlights.  

The ESPNews ticker was a godsend once we got cable.

Kids these days don’t know how good they have it.

I remember being in a fantasy hockey league back in the late 80's.  Had to call the guy to put lineups in.  And then he would mail you the standings each week.  How was this even a thing?  :lol:
I wish our commish mailed standings.  We started in 90 as seniors in high school  We'd sit in study hall with the newspaper on a daily basis and had a weekly routine.  Monday was doing the majority of the box scores.  Tuesday was finishing the box scores and figuring out the standings.  Wednesday was looking at the league leaders posted in the papers and doing our pickups and drops.  Thursday and Friday were for smack talk.  Good times...good times...

I wish our commish mailed standings.  We started in 90 as seniors in high school  We'd sit in study hall with the newspaper on a daily basis and had a weekly routine.  Monday was doing the majority of the box scores.  Tuesday was finishing the box scores and figuring out the standings.  Wednesday was looking at the league leaders posted in the papers and doing our pickups and drops.  Thursday and Friday were for smack talk.  Good times...good times...
He had to because we were all over the continent.  I remember replying to a small ad in the back of The Hockey News for a league.  It was like 8 guys and the dude who ran it was up in Canada somewhere.  We'd usually get the weekly standings 2 weeks later.  Again, looking back I don't even know how it worked.  I remember it being fun, but I don't know how that's possible.

In my first FF leeg, you had to bring 17 self-addressed, stamped envelopes to the draft if you wanted the commish to mail you the standings each week. Couple years later, the fax machine rocked our world!

He had to because we were all over the continent.  I remember replying to a small ad in the back of The Hockey News for a league.  It was like 8 guys and the dude who ran it was up in Canada somewhere.  We'd usually get the weekly standings 2 weeks later.  Again, looking back I don't even know how it worked.  I remember it being fun, but I don't know how that's possible.
The good old days when instant gratification was the exception, not the rule.

We did a 5 or 6 man NBA fantasy league for 2 years, must have been 97 or 98.  Entered all the players box scores manually for each game into a database every morning after I got back from my 3rd shift job and printed out the scores twice a week and printed the different positions in different colors because I went nuts and actually bought a color printer.  I left the scores taped to the door to my house twice a week so people could pick them up.  My neighbors probably thought I was a drug dealer with all the shady characters walking up to my door throughout the day.

We did a 5 or 6 man NBA fantasy league for 2 years, must have been 97 or 98.  Entered all the players box scores manually for each game into a database every morning after I got back from my 3rd shift job and printed out the scores twice a week and printed the different positions in different colors because I went nuts and actually bought a color printer.  I left the scores taped to the door to my house twice a week so people could pick them up.  My neighbors probably thought I was a drug dealer with all the shady characters walking up to my door throughout the day.
Wait, I didn't have to do the scores myself?

Good post, it's the best way to watch mlb games. I've also had good luck with youtube posters giving us ten minute versions of college and nfl games.

In my first FF leeg, you had to bring 17 self-addressed, stamped envelopes to the draft if you wanted the commish to mail you the standings each week. Couple years later, the fax machine rocked our world!
Yeah, my first FF league it was via fax.  We'd have rotating commissioners who would draft up a weekly summary of each matchup, waiver wire pickups/drops, standings... and would fax them to everyone in the league.  I was commish one year, wasn't too much trouble.  Great scoring system too... miss that league!

Users who are viewing this thread