What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Facebook listens to what you are saying? (1 Viewer)

Is Facebook listening to your conversations?

• Yes, I am certain

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Probably, but I'm not 100% certain

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • They might be, but I'm not sure

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Probably not, but there's a small chance they could be

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters
Depends what you mean by "Facebook".  If you mean there are Facebook employees sitting in a room with headphones listening to random people's calls, then no.  I'd say you're a nut for thinking that.  If you mean that facebook has listening algorithms that pick up certain words you say or type and then give you ads based on these, then yeah they might be doing that.  But if they are doing the latter, I really don't care.  If I'm going to see ads, might as well be for stuff I might want or need.  In fact I got this amazing case for my phone from an ad on facebook after having googled for one the previous day.  Everybody wins.

My neighbor's kid has a Razor scooter and one day my son asked me why it was called a Razor (the day before I told him not to play with my shaving razor).

I explained to him that it was just the brand name and he ran off to play. I looked down at my phone and the first ad I saw was for Razor Worldwide. I've never searched for a scooter, bike or anything else resembling it so I know it wasn't just a retargeting ad or something.  

I don't have the full FB app on my phone but I was sending a message through Facebook Messenger at the time, so I assume that's how they were listening in.

They already know everything about you via cross-site tracking.  

All these tech companies goal is to know as much about you as they can.  Why wouldn't they listen in.

The best part of cross site tracking is that they know who you are, even if you don't have a facebook account.

For example, on this very page at the bottom is a link to share this conversation on facebook. When you load the HTML to bring up this page in your browser, it pulls that button from the facebook servers. In doing so, facebook drops a little cookie on your computer to identify you.

Pretty much every page on the internet has a facebook "like" or "share" button like this. When you load another page, facebook drops another cookie crumb, and sees what other cookies it's dropped already

This builds up a profile of you and your browsing habits. If you've never logged in to facebook, if you've never had an account, if you've never visited facebook.com, it creates a new anonymous identity and assigns your browsing to it. It keeps tabs on you, everywhere you go, and builds your profile. It can identify you pretty quickly, maybe not your exact name, but sooner or later it'll learn your address and probably your phone number, and it's only a short trip from there to figuring out who you are. It can match your phone's browsing to your desktop's browsing if you visit the same sites on both. 

You can even erase the cookies and think you're starting "clean", but facebook will still identify you because of the version number of your browser, your Java install, Flash version, operating system patch version, installed plugins, and what fonts you can render (all this information is sent by your browser every time you load a new page). Soon enough it'll ID your "clean" deleted-cookies computer as the same one you were using before, and go back to building up that database about you.

When Zuckerberg was called before Congress, he was asked about this. Specifically, he was asked if there was a way to opt-out of this tracking. His answer was simple: "you'd first have to sign up for facebook." :lmao:  
Can you block cookies from Facebook?

I think these results are fascinating.  My vote on this was "probably not". I don't want to say absolutely not, because Facebook (and Google and Amazon) have already clearly communicated they don't care about privacy.

But if the Facebook app were listening in on everything we say, that would be a major scandal - a company-ending scandal, with massive lawsuits, congressional hearings, the works.  I think there's an extremely small likelihood they are doing this - the benefits are not worth the risks.  As pointed out by others in this thread (and in the article), they already know a ton about you without resorting to this major invasion of privacy that would put the existence of the company at risk.

So to me, this falls into conspiracy theory territory, but one nearly everyone seems to believe. I'd bet the results of this poll aren't a lot different than what a true statistically significant survey of Americans would look like. But more interesting is the lack of uproar - it seems to be widely believed that Facebook (and Google, etc) is doing this, but people seem to have accepted it. Go back in time 10 years and tell people to imagine a time very soon when we'll all carry devices in our pocket that will listen to what we're saying at all times and report that back to powerful companies, and that would be shocking and unbelievable.  Most people seem to think that's actually happening now, and they don't care.

Doesn't matter, they can ID your computer just by the system info, fonts, Java, etc. combination to a unique user 
i'm not a member, and have never signed up or synced to facebook, ever.

i would think people like me should get together and file a class action lawsuit for infringing on constitutional rights to privacy.   I can see that one going for 20 billion

themeanmachine said:
Do you think Facebook listens to what you say through their mobile app, in or out of calls, and presents ads to you based on that information?

Background info
Pretty sure FB requests permission on your phone to use your audio, contact list, camera, etc. The answer is undoubtedly yes.

tommyboy said:
Certain.

Not just them.

Amazon

Apple

Samsung

Google

Microsoft

I'm sure there are others in forgetting

If you have "smart" anything, it's listening
THE GOVERNMENT

I thought about playing a recording on a loop at home of something random while I'm out of town for work to see if my Amazon Echo would be listening and show me related ads on amazon.com.  Something like "duck decoy carving supplies" or "ghost hunting equipment".

Then I figured Amazon probably already knows my flight itinerary and that I'm really not at home saying those things.  :oldunsure:  

I post this in every one of these threads, but what are the actual odds of this being used against you somehow? The amount of paranoia and uproar over this kind of "listening" seems way overboard to me.  People always say things like what if they give this info to the police and they wrongly charge you  or things like that, but has something like this ever happened and are the chances of anything happening really in alignment with the amount of uproar? 

My favorite example is when people went nuts over that face changing app saying that they consider their face private. WTF   :lmao:

If they did, someone would have reverse engineered it and found it out.  I voted "probably not".

This is exactly why my wife and I no longer talk. We use cards against humanity cards to communicate now. There are some scenarios where this poses a bit of difficulty, but usually they are actually quite useful. 
two midgets #####ing in a bucket?

Was having a conversation about someone my wife knew who lived in Nashville. She told me how its supposed to be nice in the suburbs around there... 5 mins later I check Facebook and I get an ad for a fancy housing development in Tennesee.

Earlier in the week my wife couldn't remember which meal delivery service her co-workers used to order food... I said "Doordash?" and that was it.  5 mins later, Doordash ad.  

Never searched for either so I know it's not re-targeting, just verbal conversations.

Pretty good article at Jalopnik about how Google and Facebook are turning their image recognition engines on to the unblurred photos from Google Maps, and building a database of your car out in the wild. 

Apparently you can Google Image search your license plate and see where you've been spotted. 
No hits on mine.  

And yes Facebook - and other apps - are listening.

Was having a conversation about someone my wife knew who lived in Nashville. She told me how its supposed to be nice in the suburbs around there... 5 mins later I check Facebook and I get an ad for a fancy housing development in Tennesee.

Earlier in the week my wife couldn't remember which meal delivery service her co-workers used to order food... I said "Doordash?" and that was it.  5 mins later, Doordash ad.  

Never searched for either so I know it's not re-targeting, just verbal conversations.
Just curious, what would have heard you say these things?  Was your phone on, and any particular app open?  Do you have a smart speaker?  Was there a laptop around with anything open? 

I can't think that my phone is listening to me (and having to send data) when it's on standby mode in my pocket.

Just curious, what would have heard you say these things?  Was your phone on, and any particular app open?  Do you have a smart speaker?  Was there a laptop around with anything open? 

I can't think that my phone is listening to me (and having to send data) when it's on standby mode in my pocket.
My guess is the messenger app, it happened to me in the past (my Razer scooter story earlier in this thread) and I was writing a message on that at the time. I don't remember if I had it open this time but I'm gonna try without it. I already had the mic off.

We do have a Google home mini but I assume Google and Facebook don't share data for competitive reasons.  Plus one of the conversations was outside.

Weird thing is I've seen tons of articles explaining why it would be difficult with the amount of data that would have to travel over your network which you would easily be able to see.  I mean everything about their explanation makes 100% perfect sense to where I think there is no way that they are listening.

Then I see an ad pop up for down quilt after the wife and I had a conversation about buying a new one the day before.

(Also, I don't use FB anymore, so this is based off of old info of mine.)

My neighbor's kid has a Razor scooter and one day my son asked me why it was called a Razor (the day before I told him not to play with my shaving razor).

I explained to him that it was just the brand name and he ran off to play. I looked down at my phone and the first ad I saw was for Razor Worldwide. I've never searched for a scooter, bike or anything else resembling it so I know it wasn't just a retargeting ad or something.  

I don't have the full FB app on my phone but I was sending a message through Facebook Messenger at the time, so I assume that's how they were listening in.
whoa

Was driving with my kids in the car this morning, had a random conversation about how in England football means soccer. When I get home I see three European football ads (one for a mobile game, two for 'football' training equipment).

Interestingly none of the ads contained the word "soccer" in the copy so it was definitely keying on the word "football"

I don't hate soccer but it's not something I ever search for so it's definitely not retargeting ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, "plate," or "shrimp," or "plate of shrimp" out of the blue, no explanation. No point in looking for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.

A lot of people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, "plate," or "shrimp," or "plate of shrimp" out of the blue, no explanation. No point in looking for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.
whoa, I just ate a cold plate of leftover shrimp for breakfast  :tinfoilhat:

No.  It is Alexa, Google and Siri that listens to you.  Facebook just steals and sells your personal information.

I've always noticed ads showing up after I, or people I'm talking to, mention something out loud. But yesterday I had something happen where I think they are also reading my mind. Was at Costco, saw an end cap with Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Lucky Charms. I usually grab CTC because the whole house likes it, but then I thought to myself, "We're good, still have an unopened one. But, maybe I should also get a Lucky Charms." I picked it up, looked at the size, and didn't think it was that good of a deal (per ounce) and it wasn't on sale. So I put it back. 

Got home, unloaded the car, proceeded to the bathroom to do bathroom business, started scrolling Facebook and the FIRST ad in my feed was for Lucky Charms.  :tinfoilhat:

Was driving with my kids in the car this morning, had a random conversation about how in England football means soccer. When I get home I see three European football ads (one for a mobile game, two for 'football' training equipment).

Interestingly none of the ads contained the word "soccer" in the copy so it was definitely keying on the word "football"

I don't hate soccer but it's not something I ever search for so it's definitely not retargeting ads.
Something similar here.  a few weeks back looking for something to do during "quarantine" with a couple of teenage kids I tell my wife we should play Euchre with the kids.  Just casually mention it to her while doing dishes.  Sit down 20 min later and the first ad I see on FB is a virtual Euchre game.  This happens to me every few months with random stuff with this one being the latest example. 

Facebook uses their own version of google bots as their little minions.
This I believe

Yes. Not sure it's really debatable.
The only part that's debatable imo is the "listening". I have no doubt Facebook is linked with your search history and things you've typed, probably including emails and texts. 

I'm less certain that they're actively listening, as we don't have an Alexa or other such device. Except the phone of course. 

It's happened to me a couple times just this past week.

The 1st one I cant remember what it was exactly but my wife and I were talking about stuff for around the pool area while getting ready for bed.  I laid down, start scrolling through fb and got ads for lawn chairs. My wife just said "that happens to me all the time". Its possible I may have looked for outdoor stuff on varage sale or something.

The 2nd one was way creepier.  My brother in law and I were outside talking about his daughters birthday and he was describing this little music box he bought her.  No pictures. No google.  Just describing it.  That night I got an ad for a tiny personalized music box.  I screen shot it and text him if that was it.  Yep.

Something similar here.  a few weeks back looking for something to do during "quarantine" with a couple of teenage kids I tell my wife we should play Euchre with the kids.  Just casually mention it to her while doing dishes.  Sit down 20 min later and the first ad I see on FB is a virtual Euchre game.  This happens to me every few months with random stuff with this one being the latest example. 
Do you happen to have the Facebook Messenger app installed on your phone? I don't use the regular app but I do have Messenger so I suspect that's the listening app 

Users who are viewing this thread