What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fill-in drafter (1 Viewer)

Phantom Knight

Footballguy
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am in two fleaflicker league with a commish that I respect a lot. Unfortunately, he has not been on fleaflicker in over two months (very unusual) and has not replied to private email.  So I talked to fleaflicker and they made a co-commish in the two leagues.  There were several vacancies which we have now filled (one or two remaining take overs in the works).  So we are looking to start our draft. But out of respect for and hope that the commish will return, I am looking for an experienced dynasty (this is a keep up to 15 our of 20 keeper) player to volunteer to participate in our "email" drafts should the commish not reappear in time.  The right person could draft for one or both teams.

If interested, please send me a private message.  Thank you all.

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am in two fleaflicker league with a commish that I respect a lot. Unfortunately, he has not been on fleaflicker in over two months (very unusual) and has not replied to private email.  So I talked to fleaflicker and they made a co-commish in the two leagues.  There were several vacancies which we have now filled (one or two remaining take overs in the works).  So we are looking to start our draft. But out of respect for and hope that the commish will return, I am looking for an experienced dynasty (this is a keep up to 15 our of 20 keeper) player to volunteer to participate in our "email" drafts should the commish not reappear in time.  The right person could draft for one or both teams.

If interested, please send me a private message.  Thank you all.
So this is primarily a Rookie draft?

Ah yes, forgive me overlooking to mention that.  You are correct, it is primarily rookies, although any free agent is draftable as well.

I have to be honest, this seems like a bad idea. Either replace the commissioner or wait him out. Having some one draft his team doesn't seem fair to him (if he does come back) and it hurts the rest of the owners as well. For example,what if some one wants to trade in or up for a pick owned by the commissioner - I'd imagine the designated drafter shouldn't be allowed to do things like that.

I'm sure you guys sent messages etc to try and reach out to him - maybe just delay the draft for a week or so and then try and find a permanent owner if he does not respond.

I have to be honest, this seems like a bad idea. Either replace the commissioner or wait him out. Having some one draft his team doesn't seem fair to him (if he does come back) and it hurts the rest of the owners as well. For example,what if some one wants to trade in or up for a pick owned by the commissioner - I'd imagine the designated drafter shouldn't be allowed to do things like that.

I'm sure you guys sent messages etc to try and reach out to him - maybe just delay the draft for a week or so and then try and find a permanent owner if he does not respond.
Dr. Octupus, I certainly respect your opinion - always thoughtful and well reasoned.

We have, as a league, talked about this. I personally am torn. We typically draft in July, so we have delayed our draft to this point. Several want to get things going and we are arriving at the point where we will have to make a final decision here, though the league seems to be leaning toward having someone draft for the commish - certainly that would be better than autodrafting.  I had not thought about possible trades (thank you for that mention)  but I believe if we are going to allow someone to draft, that certainly is something we would have to discuss/potentially allow. 

The draft is not scheduled yet, so this is preparatory at this point so that we have all our pins in a row if/when we start the draft if the commish has not returned.  I am thinking perhaps this Monday or Tuesday we would begin the draft.  We would take final vote beforehand on what to do in regard to the commish's team.  In any other league, I would either vote to replace the commish or simply leave the rudderless league myself.  In this case, this would be our attempt at leaving the commish's team in the best state possible in case he returns. Certainly, the point would come that if he does not resurface, we would need to look for someone to take over his team permanently.

Dr. Octupus, I certainly respect your opinion - always thoughtful and well reasoned.

We have, as a league, talked about this. I personally am torn. We typically draft in July, so we have delayed our draft to this point. Several want to get things going and we are arriving at the point where we will have to make a final decision here, though the league seems to be leaning toward having someone draft for the commish - certainly that would be better than autodrafting.  I had not thought about possible trades (thank you for that mention)  but I believe if we are going to allow someone to draft, that certainly is something we would have to discuss/potentially allow. 

The draft is not scheduled yet, so this is preparatory at this point so that we have all our pins in a row if/when we start the draft if the commish has not returned.  I am thinking perhaps this Monday or Tuesday we would begin the draft.  We would take final vote beforehand on what to do in regard to the commish's team.  In any other league, I would either vote to replace the commish or simply leave the rudderless league myself.  In this case, this would be our attempt at leaving the commish's team in the best state possible in case he returns. Certainly, the point would come that if he does not resurface, we would need to look for someone to take over his team permanently.
Good luck. It's surely a tough situation and I'm in a few internet leagues where if some one did disappear for a while no one would really know what ultimately happened so I get it.

Considering the Commish has been AWOL for over 2 months and is not responding to your attempts to contact him, it seems rather unlikely he will ever return.  Unless he is lying in a coma somewhere, he is surely aware it is draft time.  I believe I would make one last attempt to contact him, then move forward with replacing him, or you risk the ship going down with the captain.

Considering the Commish has been AWOL for over 2 months and is not responding to your attempts to contact him, it seems rather unlikely he will ever return.  Unless he is lying in a coma somewhere, he is surely aware it is draft time.  I believe I would make one last attempt to contact him, then move forward with replacing him, or you risk the ship going down with the captain.
Knowing his character after having played with him for several years, my (and the league's) concern is primarily for his well-being.  This is completely out of character for him.  Concern that some life event might be precluding him from being online is the main reason we hold out hope for his return and want to have the league and his team in as good a state as possible should whatever keeping him away get resolved in time.  Certainly as with Dr. Octopus, you are always a voice of reason [as one would expect from a  Socates or an Aristole or perhaps even a Plato ;)  ]. We realize we are in tricky territory here.  Folding the league was certainly one of the options we considered. We hope our attempt at saving it are not the cause of that ultimately happening. That would indeed be a pyrrhic victory of the "finest" variety.

in the past I was a guy who had to tell people, "Sorry dude, we had to put you on auto draft."  
IMO Auto-Draft would surely handicap the team, regardless of who ultimately ends up managing it, more than the plan to have an experienced Dynasty Leaguer draft in real time.  Default Auto-Draft lists seldom are current and are unlikely to yield satisfactory results.

Users who are viewing this thread