What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I don't understand shipping (1 Viewer)

I ordered a picture book from Google.  Paid for it last Wednesday.  It took them 1 day to create it and give it to FedEx.  I got an text saying it had been picked up and was on it's way to the local shipping facility.  I put the tracking number in on Thursday morning and it said it was at the facility in Nowheresville, OR and the scheduled delivery date was 8/19.  That's crazy.  But the next day, I got another text saying there was a delivery date update.  Fully expecting it to correct the date to sometime this week, it actually moved it to 8/22.

That's two weeks since it arrived at FedEx.  Up until yesterday, it hadn't left the facility.  Today it is in Idaho.  Crazy part is, there were 3 shipping options and I chose the middle one.  If I had chosen the cheapest, it might still be sitting in Oregon.  It doesn't even seem possible to ship something this slow is this day and age.

Side note:  I can't wait to see the responses to this before this gets posted.  After being an idiot and hitting enter somehow mid post, I then had a mini emergency at work that caused me to have to step away for a while.  This will be a huge let down for most,  if not everyone.  My apologies in advance.

While I sort of understand shipping, I will never understand handling.
*Joe Pesci voice*

You got a problem with ya head, kid? Nothing hard to understand about handling. You pay us, we take care of your package. And we take care of your package real good. Like it's a brother...Like family. You forget the payment?.....see this baseball bat right here? Use your imagination.

I ordered a picture book from Google.  Paid for it last Wednesday.  It took them 1 day to create it and give it to FedEx.  I got an text saying it had been picked up and was on it's way to the local shipping facility.  I put the tracking number in on Thursday morning and it said it was at the facility in Nowheresville, OR and the scheduled delivery date was 8/19.  That's crazy.  But the next day, I got another text saying there was a delivery date update.  Fully expecting it to correct the date to sometime this week, it actually moved it to 8/22.

That's two weeks since it arrived at FedEx.  Up until yesterday, it hadn't left the facility.  Today it is in Idaho.  Crazy part is, there were 3 shipping options and I chose the middle one.  If I had chosen the cheapest, it might still be sitting in Oregon.  It doesn't even seem possible to ship something this slow is this day and age.

Side note:  I can't wait to see the responses to this before this gets posted.  After being an idiot and hitting enter somehow mid post, I then had a mini emergency at work that caused me to have to step away for a while.  This will be a huge let down for most,  if not everyone.  My apologies in advance.
It's probably going on a train.

*Joe Pesci voice*

You got a problem with ya head, kid? Nothing hard to understand about handling. You pay us, we take care of your package. And we take care of your package real good. Like it's a brother...Like family. You forget the payment?.....see this baseball bat right here? Use your imagination.
I actually read this in a Joe Piscipo voice and laughed before I realized I read the name wrong.  :lol:

What is this?  1823?  
It's cheaper than truck or air. FedEx loads up many shipping containers with goods that their customers didn't seem to express/pay for the need to receive it quicker and they put them on trains, stopping at many transfer stations, changing trains, and eventually getting on a truck towards the end. Really, it's kind of amazing you'll ever have it appear on your doorstep.

It's cheaper than truck or air. FedEx loads up many shipping containers with goods that their customers didn't seem to express/pay for the need to receive it quicker and they put them on trains, stopping at many transfer stations, changing trains, and eventually getting on a truck towards the end. Really, it's kind of amazing you'll ever have it appear on your doorstep.
I feel like for $7 shipping, it should be on a freaking plane.  I assume if I went with the cheapest option they would have sent it by stagecoach?

I put a package in the US postal box and it'll get there in 3 days for probably under $5.  

On Sunday, I placed an order online with another company.  They use UPS.  It arrived today.  It shipped from southern CA.  Apparently UPS isn't using hot air balloons or zeppelins to send things across the country.  

I feel like for $7 shipping, it should be on a freaking plane.  I assume if I went with the cheapest option they would have sent it by stagecoach?
$7 shipping for a book? Yeah, I'd think that would be next day or two day with an air leg if needed. Maybe it's a crappy company you ordered from and they kept like $6 for themselves and paid $1 for FedEx to deliver it to you by rail.

$7 shipping for a book? Yeah, I'd think that would be next day or two day with an air leg if needed. Maybe it's a crappy company you ordered from and they kept like $6 for themselves and paid $1 for FedEx to deliver it to you by rail.
Google is that crappy company.  And I want to stress I'm not yelling at you.   :lol:   I went back and read my posts and it seemed like I was taking out my frustration with you.  But that's not the case, GB. 

Google is that crappy company.  And I want to stress I'm not yelling at you.   :lol:   I went back and read my posts and it seemed like I was taking out my frustration with you.  But that's not the case, GB. 
No prob. Didn't take it that way.

I know you can shop on Google but I didn't think you were actually buying stuff from Google when you did that. Does Google have a store that sells goods? They sell books?

Or maybe it's the world's heaviest book?

I have a buddy who works in the warehouse in Nowheresville. I'll give him a call and find out what's up.

No prob. Didn't take it that way.

I know you can shop on Google but I didn't think you were actually buying stuff from Google when you did that. Does Google have a store that sells goods? They sell books?

Or maybe it's the world's heaviest book?
Not sure if it's actually Google, but in Google Photos, you can take your photos and turn them into a hardcover book.  We have two dogs and they both have written autobiographies using this photobook app.  I might be a little biased, but I found the books to be hysterical.  Very well written.  I really enjoyed the humor.  It felt like something I would've wrote.  Weird.  I guess they picked that up from me raising them. 

We have two dogs and they both have written autobiographies using this photobook app.  I might be a little biased, but I found the books to be hysterical.  Very well written.  I really enjoyed the humor.  It felt like something I would've wrote.  Weird.  I guess they picked that up from me raising them. 
Talk about burying the bone lede. Your dogs wrote autobiographies?

I've had stuff shipped by FedEx that has taken 2 days to reach me after arriving at their facility only 30 minutes from me. It'll arrive there, sit for most of the day, then get sent to another facility closer to me. It will sit there overnight before being sent to the local post office at the end of that day. The USPS will then deliver it to me the following day. 

Not sure if it's actually Google, but in Google Photos, you can take your photos and turn them into a hardcover book.  We have two dogs and they both have written autobiographies using this photobook app.  I might be a little biased, but I found the books to be hysterical.  Very well written.  I really enjoyed the humor.  It felt like something I would've wrote.  Weird.  I guess they picked that up from me raising them. 
somewhere in China, a young child with a puzzled look on his face is looking at your dogs..    meanwhile, enjoy your copy of  芝麻街

What did they quote you for second tier service time? Didn't they list it as Next Day, 10 days, 14 days etc. as your options? 

Or did you just assume 2nd tier meant 3 days? 
It just said something like First Class or something nondescript.  The top tier was half the cost of the book and was next day.  Lowest tier was a hobo carrying it while riding the rails stopping only to see if someone left a pie cooling on a windowsill unattended.

Dogs writing autos are ok as long as mine doesn't mention what she saw me doing. There was an implied understanding that while she knows, there was no way she could talk.

Users who are viewing this thread