What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you pronounce .GIF? (1 Viewer)

How do you pronounce .GIF?

• Gif

Votes: 147 77.0%
  • Jif

Votes: 44 23.0%

• Total voters
Its always been GIF and while Jif was making its rounds for a little while, I haven't heard anyone call it Jif in a while.  I think that Jif has fallen out of favor (although im not sure it was ever really in favor)

I kind of agree with Otis. If the G stands for graphic then it should be pronounced Gif. The inventor of it was just trying to be clever saying otherwise because there is no logical reason for pronouncing it as Jif.

I've always pronounced it like Everlast from House Of Pain did in Jump Around, though I'm not sure why I'm posting this. 

Otis said:
The “g” stands for “graphic.”  Unless you dummies pronounce it “jraphic”, this is pretty easy.  
This is not smart reasoning.  In Philly, our electric company is called PECO.  Do you think it's pronounced PEE-CO or FEE-CO?  But Philly is dumb, you say?  Have you heard of CERN?  The people who made the Large Hadron Collider.  The "C" in CERN stands for Conseil.  Have you ever heard anyone call it KERN?  No.  It's pronounced SERN.

The guy who invented the word has said it's pronounced JIF.  If you disagree with him, that's the dumbest thing on the face of the planet.  The fact that people think they can argue against the guy who invented the word is mind bottling.  It really proves how ignorant our species is.

This is not smart reasoning.  In Philly, our electric company is called PECO.  Do you think it's pronounced PEE-CO or FEE-CO?  But Philly is dumb, you say?  Have you heard of CERN?  The people who made the Large Hadron Collider.  The "C" in CERN stands for Conseil.  Have you ever heard anyone call it KERN?  No.  It's pronounced SERN.

The guy who invented the word has said it's pronounced JIF.  If you disagree with him, that's the dumbest thing on the face of the planet.  The fact that people think they can argue against the guy who invented the word is mind bottling.  It really proves how ignorant our species is.
How do you pronounce Le-a? 

No.  The acronyms in your first paragraph are pronounced the way they are because they form a quasi word and people are lazy.  Would you expect people to say P-E-C-O like they would F-B-I?  PECO has become part of the local vernacular.

When you first saw the .gif extension, how did you pronounce it?  gif or G-I-F or jif?  I wonder how the rest of the team that helped develop the format at CompuServe pronounce it?

"Oh lets pronounce the acronym for graphics interchange format jif, like the peanut butter."  Why not "hif"?  I guess our species is just ignorant.  :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:
No.  The acronyms in your first paragraph are pronounced the way they are because they form a quasi word and people are lazy.  Would you expect people to say P-E-C-O like they would F-B-I?  PECO has become part of the local vernacular.

When you first saw the .gif extension, how did you pronounce it?  gif or G-I-F or jif?  I wonder how the rest of the team that helped develop the format at CompuServe pronounce it?

"Oh lets pronounce the acronym for graphics interchange format jif, like the peanut butter."  Why not "hif"?  I guess our species is just ignorant.  :lmao:  
You do know that other words that start with G sound like "jif", right?  You have heard of a giraffe, right?  Again, your argument makes no sense other than you pronounced it wrong to start with and now you're trying to make a case as to why you were never wrong.  Even if that means you are arguing against the guy who created the word.  Does that not sound odd to you?

Old people are "jerry-atric", not "gary-atric".

Plain things are "jen-eric", not "ghen-eric".

You exercise in the "jim" not the "ghim".

And on, and on...

You do know that other words that start with G sound like "jif", right?  You have heard of a giraffe, right?  Again, your argument makes no sense other than you pronounced it wrong to start with and now you're trying to make a case as to why you were never wrong.  Even if that means you are arguing against the guy who created the word.  Does that not sound odd to you?
I pronounce it as "GRRRaffe".  Because that is how it should be.

Old people are "jerry-atric", not "gary-atric".

Plain things are "jen-eric", not "ghen-eric".

You exercise in the "jim" not the "ghim".

And on, and on...
Bravo, well done!  I'm so happy you cleared this up that I'd love to mail you a jift! :)  

Go on... 

Have never anyone say jif until this thread.  
That's kinda where I am.   I've always heard it pronounced "gif" and hence that is how I've pronounced it.  Even though I know that is wrong now--I'm not sure if I'll go out of my way to pronounce it differently.  Speech is about communicating in a way where others understand you--and even the poll in here supports that most people understand it to be "gif"--even if that is technically wrong. 

:lmao:   pronounce "graphics".

Otis said:
The “g” stands for “graphic.”  Unless you dummies pronounce it “jraphic”, this is pretty easy.  
Came in to say this.  I pronounce it with the same G I use for "graphics".

While the originator determines how a word is pronounced initially, the way the masses pronounce it is the way it's pronounced.  These things have always changed over time.

Users who are viewing this thread