What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP SoCalBroncoFan (1 Viewer)

Capella

Footballguy
It has come to the attention of our moronic fantasy baseball league that our GB @SoCalBroncoFan passed away in late June. We were worried something had happened because he drafted his team in March, was always sick and then we didn’t hear from him after. 

He seemed like a super nice guy and it appears he left behind two sons. If anybody knows how to contact his family we can set up a go fund me or similar donation fund. 

Up there hanging out with Mr. Bowlen.  Can't think of a better way to spend eternity!

I've "known" SoCalDraftKiller about as long as anyone on these boards.  He and I would text from time to time - not only to discuss potential trades, at that.

He had been dealt a tough hand, and I know the last year was a struggle.  Here I was stupid enough to wonder what happened to him managing his latest NEWZA team, apparently after he had passed - and felt terrible for it.  Knowing Gary (his real name), he'd have given me some sarcastic gruff before laughing it off.

A true loss to the board.  Here I came to check on Keerok's son  :cry: - and was reminded of this tragedy as well.  

RIP and may you draft 8 pitchers to start your WIS league to be played in the Field of :nerd: s, SoCal

I gave SoCal lots of guff, but he seemed to like the laughs towards the end.  I think it helped take his mind off of his situation.  From what he told us during his last drafts, he was hospitalized for lengthy periods, lost a leg, was out of work.  Some really awful stuff.  Amazingly, he still seemed to have a positive attitude.  I can only hope that in his last days, he enjoyed the company of the board guys and the back and forth.  I mean, he drafted from the ICU in between treatments. 

I have a lot of pms from him because I gave him so much bs through the years. We talked a lot during drafts, he loved baseball and was a really good fantasy player. 

Many of us knew he was sick, and all the terrible procedures he had to go through. He was always upbeat even after he had his league amputated, and he drafted this year with his usual goofball analysis and enthusiasm. 

Strong guy and I’ll miss talking baseball with him. 

I've "known" SoCalDraftKiller about as long as anyone on these boards.  He and I would text from time to time - not only to discuss potential trades, at that.

He had been dealt a tough hand, and I know the last year was a struggle.  Here I was stupid enough to wonder what happened to him managing his latest NEWZA team, apparently after he had passed - and felt terrible for it.  Knowing Gary (his real name), he'd have given me some sarcastic gruff before laughing it off.

A true loss to the board.  Here I came to check on Keerok's son  :cry: - and was reminded of this tragedy as well.  

RIP and may you draft 8 pitchers to start your WIS league to be played in the Field of :nerd: s, SoCal
Lol at the drafting pitchers shtick in WIS. He’s the same guy that was always last to draft a starting pitcher in regular leagues. 

He (with jamny’s help) is currently in first place in FBG’s Flagship fantasy baseball league (Cake). I’m in 2nd, hope he wins in a walk off. 

Never met him or chatted with him, but definitely recognize him as a poster. It always sucks to lose someone here, regardless of whether you’ve ever met IRL or not.

Condolences to all those who knew him.

RIP SCBF.  He was a stalwart in WIS drafts and a fellow victim of East Coast Bias.  Gary wasn't afraid to try unconventional draft strategies; they weren't always successful but he made every league we were in together a bit more interesting.

It's been an honor to try to manage his last Newza team up the standings.

Last edited by a moderator:
i remember him as a reliable and entertaining contributor to the board. he was a good guy. i'm sorry things got so tough for him. RIP.

I don't think I ever chatted with him, but I recognize the user name.  Awful news, for sure. Condolences to his family and friends, including those of you here who knew him on a personal level.  R.I.P. 

I recognize the name, but didn't know him. Sounds like he was a great person and will be sorely missed. RIP FBG colleague. Condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry fellas. Godspeed. 

Sad to think we will only see more of this kind of thing over time especially as this group ages. 

I mean, he drafted from the ICU in between treatments. 
Kinda feel bad in retrospect with the Draftkiller shtick. SoCal was totally standup about it all, though ... didn’t whine or make excuses. It was a long while before we really knew how serious things had gotten.

Was still PMing with him in March about getting our last draft up and running on WIS. 5 months ago. Just that quick.

RIP, good buddy.

I gave SoCal lots of guff, but he seemed to like the laughs towards the end.  I think it helped take his mind off of his situation.  From what he told us during his last drafts, he was hospitalized for lengthy periods, lost a leg, was out of work.  Some really awful stuff.  Amazingly, he still seemed to have a positive attitude.  I can only hope that in his last days, he enjoyed the company of the board guys and the back and forth.  I mean, he drafted from the ICU in between treatments. 
Great, now apologize to Demar DeRozan.

Kinda feel bad in retrospect with the Draftkiller shtick. SoCal was totally standup about it all, though ... didn’t whine or make excuses. It was a long while before we really knew how serious things had gotten.

Was still PMing with him in March about getting our last draft up and running on WIS. 5 months ago. Just that quick.

RIP, good buddy.
I think he leaned into the slowcal shtick. At least I hope so. He took gruff from our league but as X said it was all in fun. He always seemed to be in a positive mood which is nuts to me when you think about what he was going through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brutal read. I fear we’re going to be reading so many of these in the coming years and while I’m only known by a few of you guys- I “know” so many of you and you’re a bigger part of my life than you will ever realize. 

RIP GB 

Damn, RIP Gary. He was a fixture early on in the FBGs Clash of Clans wars. Sounds like he played that like he drafted- swoop in just under the buzzer. Prayers for his family.

Users who are viewing this thread