What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help with First Two Picks (1 Viewer)

Tylersaints

Footballguy
I'm looking for some help on which direction to go with my first two picks. It is a 10 team keeper league and I have the 10th and 11th pick overall. I am pretty set at WR and wasn't sure if I should target runnings backs or add a vet QB to go with my younger ones.  This is a 2 QB league with all passing, receiving and rushing TD's being 6 points. QB's usually fly off the board fast and I wasn't sure if I want to rely on two young QB's to hold my team together all year.  I will put my team below and then the available players to draft.  Just torn on which direction to go with what I am working with. Any help would be much appreciated!!

My Team:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen

RB: Alvin Kamara, Royce Freeman

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Julian Edelman, Cooper Kupp, Sammy Watkins, Christian Kirk

TE: OJ Howard

Then these are the top available players at their positions that can be drafted:

QB: Luck, Newton, Russell Wilson, Brees, Kyler, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, Carr (obviously a few others then too)

RB: Zeke, Leveon, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, Josh Jacobs, Mark Ingram, David Montgomery, Penny, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary

WR: Julio, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Keenan Allen, TY Hilton, Amari Cooper, and Cooks. 

Unless it's a start 1RB league, you definitely need help there.  That said, your QBs are not good and there are some great options on the board.

QB: Luck, Newton, Russell Wilson, Brees, Kyler, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, Carr (obviously a few others then too)

RB: Zeke, Leveon, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, Josh Jacobs, Mark Ingram, David Montgomery, Penny, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary

WR: Julio, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Keenan Allen, TY Hilton, Amari Cooper, and Cooks. 

Zeke, Leveon, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, Josh Jacobs, Mark Ingram are no-brainers for one of the picks.  From there I add one of Luck, Wilson, or Newton if that order

Really your best option is to trade out of the 10/11 spots and position yourself for Zeke, Bell, or Kerryon.  Likely on of the QBs could be had in the late 2nd or early 3rd.  You could also move either Thomas or Hopkins for an early first or two 2nds and come out just fine.   

My Team:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen  <-- needs help though Lamar could surprise (with output and season-long health)

RB: Alvin Kamara, Royce Freeman   <-- needs help (assuming it is a start 2 rb league)

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Julian Edelman, Cooper Kupp, Sammy Watkins, Christian Kirk

TE: OJ Howard

Assuming you make your pick without trading,if any of these fell, I would definitely pick from among them:

• Zeke
  • Julio
  • Evans
  • Keenan
 I know you need help at rb and I have several wrs there, but I believe the talent is high enough that I'd take them over what I consider a lower-tiered rb and then try to package one or two of my wrs or for a better rb.  

If none of those fall to the 10/11 turn, I'd probably take (not necessarily in this order)

• Bell - I am concerned that he won't just pick up where he was last time he played
  • Kerryon - I might be higher on him than most
  • Montgomery - I might be higher on him than most, though I'd consider this more of a boom/bust pick
  • AB - after his shenanigans last year, how he has begun this year and what I consider to be a downgrade in offense/qb...I would love to let AB be someone else's problem!
  • Your favorite qb - though I never seem to pick 'em right, I'd probably take Wison or Newton. Then Brees.  Then Kyler (NOT the steady vet I am pushing you towards, but at some point, I throw out my draft sheet and go upside over mundane.  Then Rivers or Ben (I have been burned by both in a previous life and so I am more gunshy than perhaps I should be). Clearly talent/offense wise Luck should be high on this list if not first, but I am leery enough about his current ankle issue that I'd shy away, I think from wanting him as my first qb.
  • Fournette (perhaps he stays healthy this year amid rumors of a few more receptions going his way)
  • Ingram (I might be higher on him than most)
  • Freeman (sigh)
If any of these fell to the 30/31 turn, I'd snap  them up:

• Hylton
  • Cooper
  • Cooks
  • Jacobs
  • Sanders
Probably these also I'd take at the 30/31 turn, but I consider them a drop off/longer term play from the others:

• Henderson
  • Singletary
Personally I'd not be drafting Brady or Carr unless it was very late in the draft.

Unless it's a start 1RB league, you definitely need help there.  That said, your QBs are not good and there are some great options on the board.

Zeke, Leveon, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, Josh Jacobs, Mark Ingram are no-brainers for one of the picks.  From there I add one of Luck, Wilson, or Newton if that order

Really your best option is to trade out of the 10/11 spots and position yourself for Zeke, Bell, or Kerryon.  Likely on of the QBs could be had in the late 2nd or early 3rd.  You could also move either Thomas or Hopkins for an early first or two 2nds and come out just fine.   
I appreciate the advice.  That is my thinking as well.  I am hoping the hold out from Zeke will scare some people off him but I would be stoked to get Kerryon, I am high on him this year!  My throw out that one of my picks are up for any offers and see what I could get thrown my way.

The detailed response was awesome!! Thanks a lot for that.

Ideally, I would love to get one of Zeke, Julio, Evans or Keenan if they make it to me there.  That would be ideal!!  If not, my go to I have is Kerryon and Russell Wilson.  Just like you, I am very high on Kerryon this year.  With no Riddick, I think he is going to have a huge season.  Ingram I think will have a solid year, so I am pretty high on him as well. The QB's you listed are around what I have them ranked as well.

At the 30/31st pick, if any of the ones you listed are there, trust me lol I will be making the pick so fast.  I am higher on Singletary than Henderson but obviously wouldn't be upset to see Henderson there at that pick.

I definitely have options but I think the main go to would be Kerryon and Russell Wilson there at the 10/11 turn. 

Thanks again for the detailed advice, I appreciate it!

I would take the BPA when it gets to you.  I would probably go RB/QB provided they are equal in your eyes for your two picks because those are your weak spots.  You didn't specify starting lineups besides the QB so not sure how many RB's you have to start.  If you only have to start 1 it may not be a huge weakness then. 

I actually think your QB's are fine but they are risks due to their style of play.  I wouldn't force a QB but if they fly off as quick as you say you may be forced into it.

Go RB....QBs outside of the top 3 (Rodgers, Watson and Mahomes) are all too close to reach on and your WR stable isn't your weakness. So many of the QBs are interchangeable in the mid tiers, solidify the RB position, and as stated earlier a trade back may be helpful as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread