Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sinn Fein

Trump unveils his own Green New Deal

President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland

In conversations with aides, the president has—with varying degrees of seriousness—floated the idea of the U.S. buying the autonomous Danish territory

WASHINGTON—President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest.

The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the discussions, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.

In meetings, at dinners and in passing conversations, Mr. Trump has asked advisers whether the U.S. can acquire Greenland, listened with interest when they discuss its abundant resources and geopolitical importance and, according to two of the people, has asked his White House counsel to look into the idea.

I mean - its not a terrible idea - long-term.

Trump is not looking at it as a strategic resource - merely something to rename "Trumpland"

But, I think there is merit to buying real estate, particularly if Denmark are struggling to maintain it...

This is the kind of out of the box thinking that we elected him for.   I wonder if he plans to kick out the current natives after we buy it. Of course this is oil lobbyists whispering in his ear.  The waters off of Greenland have a massive untouched oil reserve.

• Like 3

Just now, the rover said:

This is the kind of out of the box thinking that we elected him for.   I wonder if he plans to kick out the current natives after we buy it. Of course this is oil lobbyists whispering in his ear.  The waters off of Greenland have a massive untouched oil reserve.

And more access to the arctic...

• Like 1

I didn't know that buying parts of countries was a thing anymore.   We should buy Baja California.

Edited by the rover
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, the rover said:

This is the kind of out of the box thinking that we elected him for.

What's weird is that I had the exact same negative reaction with the same terminology. 

Who would have guessed 1300 years later, Erik the Red, would be laughing in his grave. His trick worked even with 1300 years of navigation, exploration, habitation, and satellites. Cheeky bastard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gopher State said:

He should try. Sell California, but I doubt their would be any buyers 

You guys don't want us, we will be fine on our own. Would be the 5th largest economy in the world

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

You guys don't want us, we will be fine on our own. Would be the 5th largest economy in the world

When you are the highest taxed state, everyone will want you.  No one has more taxes then CA, just saying.

Trump keeps saying we're being invaded through South America and now he wants Greenland. We're not 100% sure that Trump doesn't think he's playing Risk and holding North America right? 

Edited by Sheriff Bart
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 4

5 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Trump keeps saying we're being invaded through South America and now he wants Greenland. We're not 100% sure that Trump doesn't think he's playing Risk and holding North America right? 

It looks like Trump doesn't see any value in South America. It's only worth 2 and their attacks at the Eastern United States have repelled them over and over. Trump is trying to defeat the Greenland route into Iceland because Trump can't attack Kamchatka as Trump and Putin have a treatise. They're gonna try to sandwich Europe to earn the 5 that Europe is worth. Then, and only then, will they go after South America and Africa and their respective 2 & 3. Putin is allowing Siam to hold off Australia since they are route locked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

2 hours ago, the rover said:

I didn't know that buying parts of countries was a thing anymore.   We should buy Baja California.

I second the motion. 

1 hour ago, Gopher State said:

Try using correct grammar when you are making horrible points.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

5 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Life long democrat. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

7 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I mean - its not a terrible idea - long-term.

Trump is not looking at it as a strategic resource - merely something to rename "Trumpland"

But, I think there is merit to buying real estate, particularly if Denmark are struggling to maintain it...

:lmao:

Serously

1 hour ago, msommer said:

PS :lmao: is the actual reaction from Danish politicians across the board

I love the danish. They’ve got cream cheese, a fruity filling, and Greenland.”

I would also accept “I’m making an offer of 5 million milkbones to start...”  

12 hours ago, the rover said:

I don't think Trump would be interested.  Too many Mexicans

• Laughing 1

32 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I need to know the partisan affiliation of Greenland's two senators before forming an opinion on this one.

I think it's safe to say that they are left of Donald Trump ;)

They may not even believe that USA is the greatest country on Earth

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

The great wall of Mexico,  Space Force, buying Greenland, he wants to leave legacy's to Trump,  more then anything else.

Oh Trump is going to have one helluva legacy alright. 

Make it a state. 2 more Republican Senators. 

or

Make it a territory. Relocate some coastal cities like Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and Baltimore in preparation for rising sea levels.  

Edited by knowledge dropper

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I need to know the partisan affiliation of Greenland's two senators before forming an opinion on this one.

They would never allow something that liberal to be a state.  Similar to DC and PR.

1) Buy Greenland

2) Finance with IOU to Danish govt

3) Default on bonds

4) Danish colonial administration of the USG puts Trump on $500,000 a month allowance

5) Trump can't make ends meet

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It isnt the worst idea. I'm sure a military base goes up day 1.

You already have one there.

Twitter enjoying this gossip. Denmark pondering an LBO to purchase the United States, citing its "tremendous potential for growth, currently hindered by an archaic educational and health care system."

• Laughing 3