What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Analogy Question (1 Viewer)

battery : heal ::

• automobile : push

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • flashlight : recharge

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • berating : compliment

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • caffeine : alert

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters
battery::heal

to commit battery and to heal are the opposites.

went with berating:compliment in light of that. Total opposites.
It seems weird to answer opposites with a noun and a verb.  If it were batter:heal, that answer would make more sense.

It seems weird to answer opposites with a noun and a verb.  If it were batter:heal, that answer would make more sense.
I guess that's why I kept writing it out as "to batter" also, though my thought process didn't jump as far as yours did and I quickly just went with opposites. 

The analogy refers to a different kind of battery.

After you experience assault and battery, you need to heal.

After you experience a berating, you need a compliment.

Therefore, the correct answer is "berating : compliment".

battery : heal :

after the battery (noun, artillery) is used, you might need to heal

flashlight : recharge

After the flashlight is used, you might need to recharge

This is the worst kind of job interview question - completely meaningless, an employer received zero tangible data about how a prospective employee can fare in the role and company, and it's a beyond-bad candidate experience.

I equate this to the "why are manhole covers round" and asking an interviewee to open a window that, unknown to them, has been nailed shut, just to see how they react.

Juxtatarot said:
Even though they may not be truly opposites, "berating" functions as a noun.  I don't see a problem with noun/verb.  I chose berating:compliment.

I'd go with "none of the above" and hope that they were looking for someone that understood how logic, language and analogies actually work.   

CletiusMaximus said:
The correct answer is: “Thank you, but I withdraw my application for the position. Good luck in all your future endeavors.” 
This guy has the right idea. No reason to work for a bunch of dbags.

Even though they may not be truly opposites, "berating" functions as a noun.  I don't see a problem with noun/verb.  I chose berating:compliment.
Berating : Compliment is probably the correct answer, but that's a huge red flag for me in terms of employment.  If a manger believes tossing out compliments is meant to serve a healing function to address prior berating/battery, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

3 of the 4 all seem to easily fit depending on how you think of the words

flashlight/recharge - battery/heal : maybe not a true analogy, but easy to see how someone might look at them individually and go battery>flashlight/heal>recharge and pick it. 

berating/compliment - taking battery a violent act, then battery to heal and berating to compliment is kind of a disturbing analogy but mostly valid

caffeine/alert - probably the best fit, IMO. battery provides life/healing, caffeine provides energy/alertness. 

automobile/push seems a bit out of place, IMO. 

Berating : Compliment is probably the correct answer, but that's a huge red flag for me in terms of employment.  If a manger believes tossing out compliments is meant to serve a healing function to address prior berating/battery, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.
elsewhere, where hugs are the answer?

Users who are viewing this thread