What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Maher Vs Rashida Tlaib (1 Viewer)

supermike80

Footballguy
Is this board generally for or against Bill?  He got himself in trouble with the squad over the past few days and I was curious if most of you here are on his side or Tlaib's

Last edited by a moderator:
I never liked the guy and still not a fan though I sometimes agree with him.   He is just a bit too smug for my liking and I did not appreciate the "9/11 terrorists were not cowards" angle. 

To me killing innocent people is the very definition of being a coward, the fact that you killed yourself in the process doesn't make it any less so.

I don't anything at all about whatever the most recent dust-up happens to be, but I'm guessing I'm probably on the side opposite Tlaib. 

Edit: Having Googled it just now, meh whatever.  

I would say I am generally more on his side than not, but you might want to say what he did this this time if you want people to answer about whatever he did to irritate Tlaib.  

I would say I am generally more on his side than not, but you might want to say what he did this this time if you want people to answer about whatever he did to irritate Tlaib.  
But perhaps this is the way it’s done now.  Choose sides first, find the details out later.

I don't really know and I don't want to give Bill Maher or Tlaib the intellectual credit to go out of my to even figure out what their dust-up is all about, frankly. I dislike Maher and Tlaib, and wish them nothing but difficulty in getting their respective agendas in front of sympathetic ears. 

What? Dont tell me one here has any idea what the face of the Democratic party says.
Remember Christine O'Donnell? She hadn't even gotten to her election yet in 2006 and that was the trick. Stop complaining, belly up to the bar, and have a drink. 

I don't really know and I don't want to give Bill Maher or Tlaib the intellectual credit to go out of my to even figure out what their dust-up is all about, frankly. I dislike Maher and Tlaib, and wish them nothing but difficulty in getting their respective agendas in front of sympathetic ears. 
In a nutshell, Maher criticized BDS.  This made Tlaib mad, so she called for a boycott of Maher's show.  That led to Tlaib, in turn, being condemned by some Jewish group.

This is really pretty boring and  tame as far as "controversies involving Bill Maher and/or Rashida Tlaib" go.

I can't believe any self respecting Democratic would side with a B level reality star over the the face of the Democratic party.

Maher can be entertaining at times as I have enjoyed some of his interviews, others not so much.   This is out of hand though if Tlaib thinks she can dictate what people can and can`t watch.  Tlaib, Omar and Cortez have me concerned as they are alienating moderate voters that we need next election.

In a nutshell, Maher criticized BDS.  This made Tlaib mad, so she called for a boycott of Maher's show.  That led to Tlaib, in turn, being condemned by some Jewish group.

This is really pretty boring and  tame as far as "controversies involving Bill Maher and/or Rashida Tlaib" go.
This right here probably puts me in the Maher camp, but still need to read more.  I am just so tired of this insta-reaction to things people disagree with.  like you said, probably tame for Maher anyway.  

Maher can be entertaining at times as I have enjoyed some of his interviews, others not so much.   This is out of hand though if Tlaib thinks she can dictate what people can and can`t watch.  Tlaib, Omar and Cortez have me concerned as they are alienating moderate voters that we need next election.
She called for a boycott. It's not like she's using her official position in Congress to curb people's viewing habits. I say it's okay. Foolish as all get out, but okay. The question is, is BDS a moderate organization or do they really provide cover for terror and terror groups? Or, as the Germans recently voted in the affirmative according to the American Spectator, are they a terror group?

She called for a boycott. It's not like she's using her official position in Congress to curb people's viewing habits. I say it's okay. Foolish as all get out, but okay. The question is, is BDS a moderate organization or do they really provide cover for terror and terror groups? Or, as the Germans recently voted in the affirmative according to the American Spectator, are they a terror group?
They are.

It’s usually safe to say the one asking others to boycott an American entity or business based on their political beliefs and level they think people have been offended is in the wrong.  

They are.
I'd sort of missed that whole part of the Blair controversy at first, so I'm still looking at it. I'm sure you'll hear the usual denials from the usual suspects and that it'll all come out in the wash, like their money and funding, etc., etc.

It’s usually safe to say the one asking others to boycott an American entity or business based on their political beliefs and level they think people have been offended is in the wrong.  
My magic meter is off. What are you saying? What if I asked for a boycott of the only manufacturer that will produce the RU-486 pill and they're American? Are we still good?

So...Trump is wrong often when he criticizes American businesses based on political belief?  Like the NYTimes, Washington Post, Amazon, Apple, Target...

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-targets-companies-apple-nordstrom-google-2019-7#google-7

That said...this little dust up is pretty mild.  I don't think anyone calling for boycotts is in the wrong...there may be legit reasons to do so.  In this case...I don't know enough or care enough about the cause Tlaib is fighting for here...or enough about Maher to argue for him either.  They are likely both wrong to some extent.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time somebody has suggested boycotting Bill Maher.  The guy got into a very public tussle with the White House over his 9/11 comments which Godsbrother referenced.  He's probably forgotten about Tlaib already.

So...Trump is wrong often when he criticizes American businesses based on political belief?  Like the NYTimes, Washington Post, Amazon, Apple, Target...

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-targets-companies-apple-nordstrom-google-2019-7#google-7

That said...this little dust up is pretty mild.  I don't think anyone calling for boycotts is in the wrong...there may be legit reasons to do so.  In this case...I don't know enough or care enough about the cause Tlaib is fighting for here...or enough about Maher to argue for him either.  They are likely both wrong to some extent.
If he's wrong, so isn't the German government -- and colossally so. He's likely right in this instance.  

Well, Maher is a hardcore Zionist and really hates Islam a lot, so I can only imagine what kind of horrible #### he said this time.  Maher is another one of these guys that provides an intellectual veneer to apartheid and anti-Islamic racism.  

Well, Maher is a hardcore Zionist and really hates Islam a lot, so I can only imagine what kind of horrible #### he said this time.  Maher is another one of these guys that provides an intellectual veneer to apartheid and anti-Islamic racism.  
What separates a hardcore Zionist from your garden-variety Zionist?

Maher will welcome any argument in this area he gets with anyone. Talib for her part seems to enjoy talking to cameras about this issue as well.  

She should go on his show and let people hear the discussion.

Maher will welcome any argument in this area he gets with anyone. Talib for her part seems to enjoy talking to cameras about this issue as well.  

She should go on his show and let people hear the discussion.
Seriously doubt she'd ever do this though.

He hates all religions equally.
I know that about Maher. But how is one fervid about the state of Israel existing? It sounds more binary than adjectival. I guess I'm saying I'm not trusting ren's usage here. He's posting in the language of terrorists and left-wing loons.  

I don't really like either of them but Maher can sometimes be funny, so I'll vote for him.

What do I win?

She would get a national audience to explain her issues. Isn’t this what all politicians want?
Not when your trip was being paid for by a group that the German government had just put on its terror groupings list.

That sounds like an awful lot 'splainin' to do, you know?

Not when your trip was being paid for by a group that the German government had just put on its terror groupings list.

That sounds like an awful lot 'splainin' to do, you know?
I’d think she welcome explaining this. 

It’s not as if Maher doesn’t say things weekly that she could exploit.

She would be perfect for his opening segment where he has a back and forth with one guest. He typically asks pointed questions and let’s people answer. The language and direction of conversation people feel free to use on Friday night on HBO are unlike typical news shows.

She would be perfect for his opening segment where he has a back and forth with one guest. He typically asks pointed questions and let’s people answer. The language and direction of conversation people feel free to use on Friday night on HBO are unlike typical news shows.
Hope it happens.

Just on the German designation alone and given the international community's condemnation of Israel, something doesn't smell right about this trip and I doubt she'd really want anybody picking this up and running with this nationally. Better just to let the right-wing rags try to get the mainstream press to cover it and fail spectacularly at doing so. Crisis averted, problem solved. Now it's political junkies like the PSF and not the nightly news having the discussion.

Just on the German designation alone and given the international community's condemnation of Israel, something doesn't smell right about this trip and I doubt she'd really want anybody picking this up and running with this nationally. Better just to let the right-wing rags try to get the mainstream press to cover it and fail spectacularly at doing so. Crisis averted, problem solved. Now it's political junkies like the PSF and not the nightly news having the discussion.
I really don’t know anything about the issue you are pointing out. If it’s out there, it’s out there. 

This woman seems to have no problem with controversial issues. She doesn’t think she is on the wrong side.

No idea if she’s go on his show (I know he’d have her on in a heartbeat). 

I really don’t know anything about the issue you are pointing out. If it’s out there, it’s out there. 

This woman seems to have no problem with controversial issues. She doesn’t think she is on the wrong side.

Maher always says that not many high profile liberals will come on his show and not sure why that is.

Ah, okay. The issue, as it seems, is that she was either was going on behalf of or was paying for the trip called BDS. BDS is an organization that stands for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (of Israel) and is a Paslestinian-run group that calls for all three of these things until Israel is in compliance with "international law" with regard to certain hot-button issues. You can find them right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

But the group, of course, is controversial in its platform and donations. Who are they giving cover and money to? I contest that the story was different at the local level and that she actually doesn't want the mainstream press sniffing around this, or it could get ugly in a hurry for her. 

He is not my cup of tea.  the only time I have any idea what he is up to now is when his antics generate a thread here.  As for her, well I believe she may represent the views of her district.  If one finds her views challenging one may want to keep in mind that she has supporters, the views may be more widespread.  If thy were hers alone that is one thing, if they reflect the views of a district that is another and is more disconcerting or more encouraging depending on one's politics. 

He is not my cup of tea.  the only time I have any idea what he is up to now is when his antics generate a thread here.  As for her, well I believe she may represent the views of her district.  If one finds her views challenging one may want to keep in mind that she has supporters, the views may be more widespread.  If thy were hers alone that is one thing, if they reflect the views of a district that is another and is more disconcerting or more encouraging depending on one's politics. 
Yes, her election does depend on her district and I wonder how deeply her district feels about the Palestinian/Israel conflict, a thought which also calls into question a few things about districting and immigration policy if we have entire swaths of people siding with Palestine. 

Yes, her election does depend on her district and I wonder how deeply her district feels about the Palestinian/Israel conflict, a thought which also calls into question a few things about districting and immigration policy if we have entire swaths of people siding with Palestine. 
IIRC, she won her primary by only 1000ish votes.

May I say something really controversial? Israel may be our biggest ally in a sort of adjunct-fought WWIV, which has been announced and is taking place whether one likes it or not. That's the position from which I come at this, so that all our cards are on the table.

I actually think Tlaib, though she retains rights, is really an unofficial and unwitting enemy of the state in an undeclared war. 

Users who are viewing this thread