What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An Old Guy using the draft dominator (1 Viewer)

Tim Croweller

Footballguy
I'm an old guy with a flip phone and when it comes to tech, don't know my ### from a hole in the ground.  I'm still languishing in the 1970's in many scary ways.  I watched a few of the initial youtube videos.   The Dominator looks really good but can I just do the whole draft from the draft dominator page or do I go on my league site and flip back and forth?   I'd be hating life if I screwed up my draft because I didn't know what I was doing.  Passing on Barkley and ending up with Carlos Hyde and so forth.     I'm going to do a couple of mocks to get oriented but I have a keeper league.    How do I get everybody's keepers in there or again does it already know it because its connected to my league.   Thanks for the help 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim,

The DD is an excellent tool for mocking the draft and as a guide for where player positions and tiers make your decisions become more informed.

For example the DD may be telling you that you can wait on QB or other positions and where you need to take a RB or whatever because of how many players of similar valuable are available and will (or should) be available at your next picks.

You still have to make these decisions on your own. The DD will only know what picks have been made by you entering those picks into DD, The DD does not draft for you, it just gives you information on who might be the best pick at any particular justcture of the draft.

Do some mocks and see how it goes, then ask any follow up questions you may have after some experimentation.

Good luck!!

In the past you used to be able to set keepers to either draft picks or set keepers. This was in the league set up tab, but since it important from your league now that isnt an option

Are you using web based, PC/mac, or the app?

adding to Dr. Dan's comments, regardless of which version you are on, you have to add the keepers yourself into the app before the draft. then stay on the app throughout the draft while updating each pick there. the way you worded your question you may be doing an online draft? if so you do have to go back and forth between the app and your draft screen. there's no live syncing.

adding to Dr. Dan's comments, regardless of which version you are on, you have to add the keepers yourself into the app before the draft. then stay on the app throughout the draft while updating each pick there. the way you worded your question you may be doing an online draft? if so you do have to go back and forth between the app and your draft screen. there's no live syncing.
yes best to have 2 devices: one for your draft and one for draft dominator. 

Thanks everyone.   So, to be clear, I can't make picks from the DD.   I have to make them from my Yahoo league site and flip back to the DD  I will get advice or suggestions for upcoming picks.   I will it do on a web based laptop flipping back and forth with DD on the google chrome browser and my league on the internet explorer browser.     Will it update each pick or do I have to enter all subsequent picks?   If so, it sounds like I might get so lost in updating picks that it will take away the minute I have in between picks to think about my next pick.   

Might add that I find it useful to go to your draft site and have your pre-draft rankings match up with the way players are ranked on DD.  Even if you disagree a bit with DD, you  will still have your guys in approximate tiers.  That saves having to scroll down to find them on your draft site.  But I add the extra precaution of bumping up high-upside late round sleepers and occasionally handcuffs that I like above some of the ho-hum players.

Thanks everyone.   So, to be clear, I can't make picks from the DD.   I have to make them from my Yahoo league site and flip back to the DD  I will get advice or suggestions for upcoming picks.   I will it do on a web based laptop flipping back and forth with DD on the google chrome browser and my league on the internet explorer browser.     Will it update each pick or do I have to enter all subsequent picks?   If so, it sounds like I might get so lost in updating picks that it will take away the minute I have in between picks to think about my next pick.   
Yes, you have to enter picks that everyone else make into DD, and you have to pick on Yahoo for your own. This is why 2 devices is nice because it saves you some confusion and time. 

If you only have 1 minute between picks that will be tough. Practice practice practice as much as you can, otherwise you will get lost, especially when someone picks an obscure player that you have to search for. 

You can easily have both tabs open in one browser and just click back and forth.  But yes, you do have to manually click off each player from the DD as they are drafted from your yahoo page.  Not sure if this is too high tech for you, but you could minimize each screen if you do use two browsers (click the "-" button in the top left or right) and it will make it smaller.  If you do this to both the Draft Dominator online, as well as the yahoo draft room, you could move them around a bit on the screen so you could see both on the same screen at the same time.  Just focus all your "clicking" on the DD screen but be watching the yahoo screen.  As you see a players name pop up as drafted on the yahoo screen, just click him on the DD screen to take him off of that list.  The ONLY time it would be somewhat tricky for you might be when it's your pick, that's the only time you'd have to actually click on the yahoo screen to make your selection.

An easier way might be two separate computers, but I think you can minimize each screen to fit them both on the same screen at the same time and that might be your best bet.

You can easily have both tabs open in one browser and just click back and forth.  But yes, you do have to manually click off each player from the DD as they are drafted from your yahoo page.  Not sure if this is too high tech for you, but you could minimize each screen if you do use two browsers (click the "-" button in the top left or right) and it will make it smaller.  
You mean the one next to it to have shrunk down views of both the DD and Yahoo. The two overlapping squares.. Minimizing will make the selected screen disappear

Hi Tim,

The DD is an excellent tool for mocking the draft and as a guide for where player positions and tiers make your decisions become more informed.

Do some mocks and see how it goes, then ask any follow up questions you may have after some experimentation.

Good luck!!
From one geezer to another, it's great for draft practice.Phenomenal, actually. You can mock draft at your own pace, read player infos, and think about how your strategy is playing out.

But if you're not VERY comfortable with it and considering you have at the most a minute between everyone's picks, you're better off using the VBD Cheatsheet and a highlighter. 

Use the DD mocks to form a few strategies and the "Shortlist" to highlight your targets and sleepers and see them on the DD at a glance during the draft.

Agreed. That is a fast paced draft so doing a few test runs in DD can help prepare for that but not enough time to keep updating as you go.

Just so you know, WHEN (not if) you screw up one pick and realize it a round later, then go into a butthole-clenching panic trying to figure out how many picks to undo, then reapply the correct picks, all while accidentally autodrafting Jordy Nelson because your clock ran out on your draft.... be sure and stop back in and bump this post saying “yep, it happened!” 

Am I the only "old-timer" who actually prefers the paper version DD cheat sheets ? I see guys in my draft literally having a computer program make their picks for them. To me, that takes away the fun (and strategy) of it. Between charting the picks myself, crossing guys off my cheat sheet, planning bye weeks, handcuffs, etc., I don't have the time (or the inclination frankly) to sit there with not one but TWO computer programs open. To say nothing of the fact that it takes away from the comradery of an in-person draft, with everyone eating, drinking, razzing people on their picks, etc..

Old school I know. But if it was good enough for grandpa, then it is good enough for me. LOL

Am I the only "old-timer" who actually prefers the paper version DD cheat sheets ? I see guys in my draft literally having a computer program make their picks for them. To me, that takes away the fun (and strategy) of it. Between charting the picks myself, crossing guys off my cheat sheet, planning bye weeks, handcuffs, etc., I don't have the time (or the inclination frankly) to sit there with not one but TWO computer programs open. To say nothing of the fact that it takes away from the comradery of an in-person draft, with everyone eating, drinking, razzing people on their picks, etc..

Old school I know. But if it was good enough for grandpa, then it is good enough for me. LOL
So you think it’s lame for people to have a computer list players based on someone else’s projections, UNLESS you print that list out? Then it’s okay? :D  

I do 3 big live drafts per year. We use OG stickerboards because I hate online drafts. However most folks use computers to track the draft. There is NO shortage of trash talk, camaraderie, eating or drinking :lol:  

If you're on Yahoo another factor is that mocks are on a 30 second timer whereas most real drafts will default to 90 seconds. In my league, early picks are made more quickly but also tend to be more "conventional" (more likely to be on your screen without too much scrolling). Later picks get more unpredictable and harder to track but in my league at least, tend to be made more slowly.

So you think it’s lame for people to have a computer list players based on someone else’s projections, UNLESS you print that list out? Then it’s okay? :D  

I do 3 big live drafts per year. We use OG stickerboards because I hate online drafts. However most folks use computers to track the draft. There is NO shortage of trash talk, camaraderie, eating or drinking :lol:  
Not what I said. I like a paper cheat sheet (old school). I have no problems with a computerized version. What I personally don't care for (and I think takes away from the process) is when people have a computerized program telling them who to pick. Not the same thing. 

I use DD to mock and mock only. And even then, I feel it takes the human element out of it. Real drafts almost never play out like a mock does.

For the actual draft, I have an old school print out of the VBD tool. At 45, I may be the only guy at my drafts without a computer. And I like it that way.

Experience and being well prepared makes all the difference.

I use DD to mock and mock only. And even then, I feel it takes the human element out of it. Real drafts almost never play out like a mock does.

For the actual draft, I have an old school print out of the VBD tool. At 45, I may be the only guy at my drafts without a computer. And I like it that way.

Experience and being well prepared makes all the difference.
Agreed !!  (and I'm 55--LOL)

Just so you know, WHEN (not if) you screw up one pick and realize it a round later, then go into a butthole-clenching panic trying to figure out how many picks to undo, then reapply the correct picks, all while accidentally autodrafting Jordy Nelson because your clock ran out on your draft.... be sure and stop back in and bump this post saying “yep, it happened!” 
This happened to me in my real draft. I knew it would, so I'd practiced the fix a bunch of times and it's actually wicked easy and intuitive to fix. If you know what you're looking to correct. 

This happened to me in my real draft. I knew it would, so I'd practiced the fix a bunch of times and it's actually wicked easy and intuitive to fix. If you know what you're looking to correct. 
Help! Happens once per year to be because of the aforementioned drinking and socializing. :lol:  

Usually look back 5 picks at a time till I find one that is good, then undo to that point and begin re-entering (once one pick is off, everything after that is off). 

If I remember correctly, DD will let you slide all the picks up or down if you need to unSNAFU one. Depending on the situation, you might not have to redo half a dozen picks using the name search. 

My fear of having to do this though is what takes up a lot of time in between picks instead of looking at how my draft strategy /roster composition is looking. 

My fear of having to do this though is what takes up a lot of time in between picks instead of looking at how my draft strategy /roster composition is looking. 
which is why I track the picks by hand on a chart that I prepare before the draft. I can quickly glance and see everyone's rosters and get a sense of who might be starting a particular run (and this way I can stay ahead of it). As it is, in my live draft, guys are calling out names pretty quickly. 

I've been using the offline version of DD as long as it's been around and I don't remember a draft when this didn't happen. :lmao:

which is why I track the picks by hand on a chart that I prepare before the draft. I can quickly glance and see everyone's rosters and get a sense of who might be starting a particular run (and this way I can stay ahead of it). As it is, in my live draft, guys are calling out names pretty quickly. 
DD offline version has screens for all of this. You should play with it and figure out a layout that works best. My setup include Player Pool, Draft Status, Team Stats (which is most of what you describe here), Team Data, and Best Value Pick always on screen.

Similar to what many have shared, I mock the hell out of drafts using the DD but go old school paper and pen during actual drafts

I never thought of the dominator making my picks, I see it as a guide that helps me throughout the draft while highlighting possible value dropping down the draft. Especilly in those middle to late rounds.

I remember being the first guy to show up with a laptop several years ago and I got chirped a fair bit. Now, everyone has a  laptop at the draft, it hasn't affected the room atmosphere at all.

PS - I'm 42.

Not what I said. I like a paper cheat sheet (old school). I have no problems with a computerized version. What I personally don't care for (and I think takes away from the process) is when people have a computerized program telling them who to pick. Not the same thing. 
I'm really not sure I understand the difference.  The DD doesn't tell you who to pick, it ranks the remaining undrafted guys for you (exactly the same as pen and paper would do).  It just adds a little extra intelligence as it can adjust for what positions are going quick, etc.  I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Also, on paper I doubt you are keeping track of your opponents team.  What is the downside of knowing that the guy after you has 6 WRs and no RBs and is likely going to pick a RB next?  I think this is an advantage to know this, so online programs that can pop up the draft board and show you what everyone else has rostered so far is a good thing.  I'm not sure why I'd take those things away and purposely put myself at a disadvantage on draft day.

I'm really not sure I understand the difference.  The DD doesn't tell you who to pick, it ranks the remaining undrafted guys for you (exactly the same as pen and paper would do).  It just adds a little extra intelligence as it can adjust for what positions are going quick, etc.  I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Also, on paper I doubt you are keeping track of your opponents team.  What is the downside of knowing that the guy after you has 6 WRs and no RBs and is likely going to pick a RB next?  I think this is an advantage to know this, so online programs that can pop up the draft board and show you what everyone else has rostered so far is a good thing.  I'm not sure why I'd take those things away and purposely put myself at a disadvantage on draft day.
As I said, I do keep track of everyone else's picks in a chart I prepare precisely for that purpose. It has worked well for me for the 20 years I am doing this. 

As I said, I do keep track of everyone else's picks in a chart I prepare precisely for that purpose. It has worked well for me for the 20 years I am doing this. 
So you draft the same way as the DD does,  but holding a pencil instead of a mouse makes it feel more authentic.

Happens every season. Someone should code a miracle app/script that corrects for this.

If this league is important, why not have a friend come over and do the Dominator for you?  Then you can focus on the website and a simple cheat sheet.  

The difference is the paper and pencil eliminates the freak out moment when you realize a pick was entered incorrectly and the ensuing scramble to correct it before your pick.  I've done it both ways and simply prefer not to use DD during actual drafts.  If it works for you, that's great.

Keith1, some people will never get it. 
Dude-- it was a joke. The thread was started about "an old guy using the Draft Dominator." I qualify, so I commented. In fact, it seemed that several other posters shared similar feelings. I would never draft without my printed Draft Dominator cheat sheets in front of me. Some people still do that. I realize that most people sit there with their lap-tops, running the Draft Dominator during their draft. At the end of the day, it's all the same--it's just what you are comfortable with. 

Dude-- it was a joke. The thread was started about "an old guy using the Draft Dominator." I qualify, so I commented. In fact, it seemed that several other posters shared similar feelings. I would never draft without my printed Draft Dominator cheat sheets in front of me. Some people still do that. I realize that most people sit there with their lap-tops, running the Draft Dominator during their draft. At the end of the day, it's all the same--it's just what you are comfortable with. 
I was agreeing with you. Not sure why the "Dude - it was a joke" comment was necessary, but ok.  

maybe scrounge an old monitor and use two monitors on draft night for the two windows you need open.

i never had much luck having to input each draft pick of an online draft. i pretty much use DD to generate rankings

Since we're talking old school/printouts/etc, does anyone know why the auction values would vary so much between the online DD and the VBD excel app?  same league settings and excel VBD has Barkley at $55 while DD has him at $76.  thx!

Since we're talking old school/printouts/etc, does anyone know why the auction values would vary so much between the online DD and the VBD excel app?  same league settings and excel VBD has Barkley at $55 while DD has him at $76.  thx!
I take the VBD spreadsheet and modify those values based on historical data. I've always found the DD values to be higher than what they end up being in the real draft. 

Users who are viewing this thread