What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
AB and Bell are gone and time to wave goodbye to a 9-6-1 season.  Let's start the 2019 thread which hopefully will be full of talk about a return to the playoffs.   :towelwave:

Are you thinking of someone else?  Cam Sutton is supposedly going to win the slot-corner role over Hilton and has been the MVP of training camp (for whatever that's worth).

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Cameron-Sutton-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tennessee-Volunteers-training-camp-MVP-134589573/
Cam Sutton has been looking great, but as Button said, I meant the FB/OLB.  I think he has a lot of potential as a gadget/ST player but I'm not sure he'll have enough time to show it. 

Sounds like Gilbert has been playing really well, so he might take the PS spot instead of Sutton Smith. 

I assume this is just a body for the preseason:

Steelers sign Jayrone Elliott

Wednesday brought word that Steelers defensive lineman Lavon Hooks tore his Achilles and that meant it was only a matter of time before the team made a move to replace Hooks on the active roster.

That move came on Thursday. The Steelers announced the signing of linebacker Jayrone Elliott and that they have waived Hooks with an injury designation.

Elliott played in 38 games for the Packers between 2014 and 2016 and then moved on to the Cowboys in a 2017 trade. He played one game in Dallas, but was waived before the second week of the season. He spent time with the Saints in 2018 and played in the Alliance of American Football this year before a short stint with the Dolphins.

Elliott has 57 tackles, four sacks, an interception and a forced fumble over the course of his career.

Back for 2019.  I wasn't expecting to lose both Brown and Bell but we shall see if improved balance can overcomes some loss of superstar talent.  They had to go - they make Zeke and OBJ look like choirboys which is unbelievable.

I do like the lack of stress but it almost seems too serene i.e. some edge is needed.

James Washington at it again, looking good.  Offense and defense looking pretty good tonight. 
Think he may have just run the wrong route and shown why he isn’t receiving first team reps. Still the kid looks unstoppable when featured. He needs a shot.

I am not sure if the Steelers were that good or the Titans were that bad.   In any case it was a great performance on both sides of the ball.   It sounds like the Davis injury isn't too serious (he says he'll play week 1) and I guess Dupree sprained a thumb.    Aside from those two it sounds like the Steelers escaped injury-free.

I am not sure if the Steelers were that good or the Titans were that bad.   In any case it was a great performance on both sides of the ball.   It sounds like the Davis injury isn't too serious (he says he'll play week 1) and I guess Dupree sprained a thumb.    Aside from those two it sounds like the Steelers escaped injury-free.
Definitely looked like a combo of both. That Safety was pretty quick, but I doubt we get half of the QBs in the league on that play. Hopefully this game represents what our D will be up to all year and we're not seeing a mirage. A bit worried that our guys on the backside will rack up the penalties with those hard hits. I love them, but sometimes Refs are calling solid hits to the chest with a shoulder unnecessary roughness (because they're bad at their jobs).

Ben looked great after he shook the rust off. 1-2 really bad passes, 2 bad drops, but started to get into the swing of things against a very good secondary. 

The titans aren't the Pats, but those first couple drives made me feel like we won't embarrass ourselves week 1. I don't think a win is likely though in Foxborough with BB having all offseason to prepare. 

What record do you guys think we get this season? I'm thinking 11-5 as a half-optimistic line.

1. Pats - 0-1
  2. Seahawks - 1-1
  3. 49ers - 2-1
  4. Bengals - 3-1
  5. Ravens - 4-1
  6. Chargers - 4-2
  7. Dolphins - 5-2
  8. Colts - 6-2
  9. Rams - 6-3
  10. Browns - 6-4
  11. Bengals - 7-4
  12. Browns - 8-4
  13. Cards - 9-4
  14. Bills - 10-4
  15. Jets - 11-4
  16. Ravens - 11-5
I think we split with the Ravens and Browns, we lose to two of Pats/Chargers/Rams and lose to 1 bad team. I just chose us losing to all 3 solid teams because I couldn't pick a bad team for us to lose to. 

What record do you guys think we get this season? I'm thinking 11-5 as a half-optimistic line.

I think we split with the Ravens and Browns, we lose to two of Pats/Chargers/Rams and lose to 1 bad team. I just chose us losing to all 3 solid teams because I couldn't pick a bad team for us to lose to. 
So much can happen in a season that it is really tough to go game by game like that.  Assuming no season-ending injuries to key players I think that 11--5 or 10-6 seems about right.

The key is going to be getting off to a fast start but facing the Pats week 1 is going to make that difficult.  If they can get off to a 4-1 start like you have it I will be thrilled.

Where is the loss to the team that they should blow out and the win against a team that we weren't supposed to beat? Guess it doesn't matter--those will even themselves out. I'll throw out a loss to the Jets late in the season but an unlikely upset of the Rams mid-season.

Last edited by a moderator:
First team OL and DL were dominant last night. Hopefully both stay healthy. Plenty of playmakers in front 7 hopefully a safety will step up this year.

NE Pats Center looks like he'll be out for an extended period of time with a serious health issue. I'm glad he seems to be recovering well, does this sway the needle at all for our chances in week 1? He's been the Pats starting center for almost every game the past 3 years. 

steelers1080 said:
NE Pats Center looks like he'll be out for an extended period of time with a serious health issue. I'm glad he seems to be recovering well, does this sway the needle at all for our chances in week 1? He's been the Pats starting center for almost every game the past 3 years. 
It can't hurt

Really wish our team would just stop talking about him. If we open the door to drama it'll creep back in. 
I think they are doing a good job of not talking about it unless they are asked.  Ben was asked a direct question about AB by Michelle Tafoya and he answer with a few short sentences.  I think that's a better way to go that to say something like "he's not here so I'm not answering" or whatever.

I think they are doing a good job of not talking about it unless they are asked.  Ben was asked a direct question about AB by Michelle Tafoya and he answer with a few short sentences.  I think that's a better way to go that to say something like "he's not here so I'm not answering" or whatever.
I think Ben's response was fine.  He was asked a direct question and he answered, taking the high road.  However In the future if asked about AB he should just say that he's moved on.

Looks like the Pats made a couple trades to sure up their o-line a bit.  Not a center thouh:

Patriots swing pair of trades with Cardinals and Ravens to bolster offensive line depth

The New England Patriots are wheeling and dealing as they gear up for the regular season. 

On Wednesday, the reining Super Bowl champs traded for Korey Cunningham in a deal with the Arizona Cardinals, the offensive lineman announced on Instagram. Field Yates of ESPN reports that the expected compensation for Cunningham is New England sending a sixth-round draft pick over to Arizona. 

On top of that, Jim McBride of The Boston Globe was first to report that New England has also struck a deal with the Baltimore Ravens to acquire offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor. 

In Cunningham, the Patriots are getting a 6-foot-6, 305-pounder, who was a seventh-round draft choice of the Cardinals in 2018 out of Cincinnati. He made six starts last season and Pro Football Focus graded him as a 60.4 overall. He allowed two sacks, two hits, 14 hurries and was flagged for four penalties. 

Eluemunor has spent his entire career in Baltimore after they selected him in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Texas A&M. The 6-foot-4, 335-pounder has played in 17 games over his career with three starts and has experience playing both at tackle and at guard. 

Cunningham will likely serve as New England's swing tackle behind starting left tackle Isaiah Wynn and starting right tackle Marcus Cannon. Eluemunor likely steps into the top backup role at guard with Ted Karras coming into the starting center spot for David Andrews, who is currently dealing with blood clots in his lungs. 

New England is currently looking at Wynn, Cannon and Cunningham to stay on the 53-man roster at the tackle positions, while the rest of the starting offensive line will likely consist of left guard Joe Thuney, center Ted Karras, right guard Shaq Mason. 

Fourth-round interior offensive lineman Hjalte Froholdt is one other lock to make the Patriots' opening roster. 

With Cunningham's arrival, Dan Skipper, who originally signed with the Patriots' practice squad back in January, is now on the outside looking in to make the team. Fellow offensive lineman Cole Croston also may face an uphill battle now to make the roster, but his ability to play all along the offensive line does give him an added edge. 

The Patriots will likely be active on the trade market and waive wire as NFL teams make their final roster cuts this weekend, so these moves could simply be the first dominos to fall in a very active period on their calendar. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-swing-pair-of-trades-with-cardinals-and-ravens-to-bolster-offensive-line-depth/

Can Skipper and Gilbert both make the team?  Layne has been terrible. Maybe they keep both backers knowing that Barron will play some in secondary by necessity and only keep 8 oline. 

Trade dobbs for a late pick. My 53:

QB:  

ben. Rudy. 

Rb.

Conner. Samules. Snell. Nix. 

Wr. 

Juju. Montcrief. Washington. Johnson. Switz. Holton. 

Te. 

Mcdonald. Grimble (or new acquisition). Gentry. 

Oline. 

Pounce. Decastro. Foster. Villa. Finn. Feiler. Chuks. Banner. Johnson. 

Dline. 

Heyward. Tuitt. Hargrave. Alualu. Mccullers. Buggs

LB. 

Watt. Dupree. Bush. Williams. Barron. Ola. Chick. Matakevich. Gilbert. Skipper. 

Cb. 

Haden. Nelson. Hilton. Sutton. Layne. Burns. 

S. 

Davis. Edmunds. Kam (also play cb) Dangerfield. 

St.

Bos. Berry. Canaday. 

Practice squad:

duck. Sutton. Spillane. Mondeaux. Gray. Scotland. Edmunds. Tevin jones. Mathis. Allen. Elliot or ####z (if eligble)

Looks pretty good although I am not in a hurry to trade Dobbs just to unload him.  Rudolph clearly outperformed him but if Ben goes down I would prefer Rudolph have a better back up than some guy picked off of waivers.

Looks pretty good although I am not in a hurry to trade Dobbs just to unload him.  Rudolph clearly outperformed him but if Ben goes down I would prefer Rudolph have a better back up than some guy picked off of waivers.
How often have they kept 3 qbs?  Last year made sense because Rudolph was a rookie, but if they believe in him as the true backup, then keeping 3 seems like an unnecessary luxury. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Bet Ola starts on PUP and they start season with both Gilbert and Skip. With Sutton on PS. 

Could trade Dobbs and open a roster spot with Duck on PS. 
Ola is not eligible for the PUP list since he practiced and played during training camp/pre-season.

IMO if Gilbert or Skipper are not on the 53 then neither will make it through waivers.   I think the team keeps them both by either only keeping 8 OL or 2 QBs or put Layne on the IR and go with 5 CBs.

Users who are viewing this thread