What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Conner was 7 for 18 at the half.

How in the ####### hell do we not line up with the QB under center, with our RB 7 yards deep and running at the hand-off one time? Instead he lines up 9 yards deep and standing still for the under-belly hand-off before moving on every single play.   And never a Samuels attempt?

Our coaches are absolute morons with zero in-game adjusting. Our terrible non-adjustments have gone on for over a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conner was 7 for 18 at the half.

How in the ####### hell do we not line up with the QB under center, with our RB 7 yards deep and running at the hand-off one time? Instead he lines up 9 yards deep and standing still for the under-belly hand-off before moving on every single play.   And never a Samuels attempt?

Our coaches are absolute morons with zero in-game adjusting. Our terrible non-adjustments have gone on for over a decade.
Exactly!  And we've been winning despite the coaching staff because we have had elite talent on both sides of the ball for many years now.  

fred_1_15301 said:
Exactly!  And we've been winning despite the coaching staff because we have had elite talent on both sides of the ball for many years now.  
This is the crux of the biscuit. It seems wrong to feel let down that Ben “only” won two Super Bowls and lost one other, but I distinctly remember talking to a buddy after SB XL and thinking that Ben’s the next coming of Bradshaw, the rest of the talent (while not the Steel Curtain) was very good and so four Rings seemed like a reasonable if ambitious career goal. Looking back now, Cowher earned one, Tomlin rode coattails to another, then we had ten years of underachieving. The talent was there, for sure, probably more than the Patriots, but the coaching wasn’t. It matters a lot in this league. 

People may argue “it’s just a fifth”... well this front office is starting to show desperation. There is no process here. Trading any pick for a ####ty, unathletic TE in the last year of his contract is stupid. The Fitzpatrick decision, no matter how good he is, is also a stupid risk when the team has looked so trash. So we’re reliant on a 37 year old QB coming off elbow surgery and a Tom Savage clone. We’re heading for a blow up in a way this team has not experienced in a long, long, long time.

fred_1_15301 said:
Who needs draft picks?  They're not important at all in a year where we will probably finish bottom 10.     :doh:
I don't know enough about Vannett to make a decision but on the surface it does look like a high price to pay but then again they had to do something at TE.   Starting Grimble and Zach Gentry was not going to cut it. 

I think the Fitz trade is more likely to burn them since it could be a top 5 pick but at least they have what looks to be a potential pro-bowl player and they likely would have used the #2 draft pick for a safety next year.  Both moves help the team.  I dunno maybe everyone would rather have the Steelers go the way of the Pirates and give up after 3 weeks into the season.

As far as the 2020 draft picks go I am pretty sure they look like this (correct me if I am wrong): 2, 4, 4 from Dolphins via Titans, 6, 7 as well as a probable 3rd for Bell and maybe an additional pick for James.  So they have 6 picks, possibly 7

fred_1_15301 said:
There is no reason at all that Butler should still be the coordinator.  It's embarrassing.  
 Getting rid of Butler won't change anything.    Tomlin has been the de facto DC running his defense for at least the past two years.

Godsbrother said:
I agree the O-line play has been underwhelming at best.   This is a veteran line, they should be playing better no matter what the scheme.
Hard to ignore the correlation between our O-Line stinking and losing MM.

Hard to ignore the correlation between our O-Line stinking and losing MM.
Yeah I think it is a factor but the biggest issue is a suspect passing attack.   Teams are able to put 8 uglies in the box and it is tough to block 8 with 5 (or 6 counting a TE).  If the passing game cannot take advantage of that running the ball is going to be tough sledding.   

Apparently not only was McDonald injured but Grimble was knocked out of the game last week as well.  McDonald and Grimble will be listed as questionable to start the week but not ruled out for Monday night.  Rosie Nix will definitely not play again so the urgency to get a TE is understandable.

I feel like there may have been other or better TEs available as free agents or on a practice squad right now. 

What am I missing on this guy?

Apparently not only was McDonald injured but Grimble was knocked out of the game last week as well.  McDonald and Grimble will be listed as questionable to start the week but not ruled out for Monday night.  Rosie Nix will definitely not play again so the urgency to get a TE is understandable.
And Gentry missed a block on the Connor fumble. 

And Gentry missed a block on the Connor fumble. 
Yep.  Not to make excuses but losing both TEs, replacing them with a rookie TE and not having a FB is definitely going to have a negative effect on the running game.  

Vannett should help and hopefully one or both TEs can play this week but they still need to g a bit more vertical in the passing game to keep defenses from just stacking the box.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/9/27/20880623/why-mason-rudolph-was-worse-then-what-steelers-fans-saw-on-tv-in-week-3-49ers-bengals-week-4-nfl

Hmm, well the tape gives me mixed feelings. At least the WRs and TEs and RBs are getting open, but Rudolph is doing a poor job of working through his progressions to be able to find the open man and is instead forcing it to the first look. Could be by design for Fichtner to lessen his load, but I think not. 
Agreed.  Chalk it up to inexperience.  Hopefully he'll be a fast learner but we're used to a veteran HoF QB and anyone that did not expect a drastic downgrade at the position was kidding themselves.    A running game would definitely help too.

I still don't understand why they didn't seem to want him.  He was a quality TE for us.

Especially compared to Grimble.   Stevie Wonder could see that he was not a capable #2 TE.
The mistake was made in not replacing him since they decided not to keep him.  If they didn't want to resign him for whatever reason - fine.  But having Grimble as the #2 is obviously not working.

Godsbrother said:
Agreed.  Chalk it up to inexperience.  Hopefully he'll be a fast learner but we're used to a veteran HoF QB and anyone that did not expect a drastic downgrade at the position was kidding themselves.    A running game would definitely help too.
Yeah, I was blaming Fichtner for safe play calling, but he just came out as saying that Rudolph wasn't taking advantage of opportunities deep down the field early in the game. Sounds like he wanted Rudolph to sling it and he chickened out. Hopefully week 2 he starts to go through progressions instead of locking on and forcing it. We'll see. 

Not an expert but that film shows lots of five man rushes which led to some pretty open receivers that mason could either not locate or not deliver.  Let’s hope that was nervous vs can’t do it.

i would expect to see more of that until he can beat it on the outside.  

Could some knowledgeable Steeler fan >>>>>   Explain This To Me

--------------------------------

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

Eagles have agreed to terms with CB Orlando Scandrick and released LB L.J. Fort.

1:47 PM - 27 Sep 2019

-----------------------------------

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte

By cutting LJ Fort, the Eagles pick up a 4th round 2020 compensatory pick for one of either Golden Tate or Jordan Hicks, and simultaneously take off the board the Steelers' 3rd round 2020 comp pick for Le'Veon Bell.

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte 54m54 minutes ago

The Steelers can get their 3rd round 2020 compensatory pick for Le'Veon Bell back, however, if they cut Donte Moncrief before Week 10. Given that he's currently in the doghouse in Pittsburgh, Moncrief's contractual status should be followed closely.

---------------------------------

What?  How do the Steelers stand to lose a 3rd round comp pick?  How does L.J. Fort's release from the Eagles have any impact?  What the heck?

Eagles have agreed to terms with CB Orlando Scandrick and released LB L.J. Fort.

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte

By cutting LJ Fort, the Eagles pick up a 4th round 2020 compensatory pick for one of either Golden Tate or Jordan Hicks, and simultaneously take off the board the Steelers' 3rd round 2020 comp pick for Le'Veon Bell.

The Steelers can get their 3rd round 2020 compensatory pick for Le'Veon Bell back, however, if they cut Donte Moncrief before Week 10. Given that he's currently in the doghouse in Pittsburgh, Moncrief's contractual status should be followed closely.

What?  How do the Steelers stand to lose a 3rd round comp pick?  How does L.J. Fort's release from the Eagles have any impact?  What the heck?
Who is Nick Korte? And goodbye Moncrief if this is true.

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte

Basically the FAs you lose are compared to the FAs you sign during the Free agency period that started on 3-13-19 and ends on the second Tuesday after the NFL draft.

The size of the contracts the FAs sign also figure into the comp pick formula as does awards like Pro bowl, All Pro, MVP etc - how exactly that works is not disclosed by the NFL.

Anyway - the biggest players the Steelers lost were Bell,  Jesse James, and LJ Fort.    They signed Nelson, Barron, and Moncrief.

For the comp pick formula Nelson canceled out Bell, Barron cancels out James, and Moncrief cancels out Fort.

If any of these players are released before week ten they no longer count in the comp pick formula.

So the only way to get the comp pick ( in the 3rd round we hope) is for the Steelers to cut Moncrief before week 10.

If our O-Line looks and plays worse than the Bengal O-Line, especially if its a noticeable margin of difference, I want every ### #### coach to not only get fired but to get a beat-down outside of the corporate doors on their way out.

There is no excuse for that occurring. Their oline is in tatters and lacks damn near any talent whatsoever. Its time to make Conner and Samuels looks like Hagler and Hearns to the CIncy defense.

I can't figure why James Conner has dropped so much this year.  I mean if he can get over 50 yards we should be happy.  And most of those yards are on goofy formations like that QB flip immediately on the snap

Last edited by a moderator:
If our O-Line looks and plays worse than the Bengal O-Line, especially if its a noticeable margin of difference, I want every ### #### coach to not only get fired but to get a beat-down outside of the corporate doors on their way out.

There is no excuse for that occurring. Their oline is in tatters and lacks damn near any talent whatsoever. Its time to make Conner and Samuels looks like Hagler and Hearns to the CIncy defense.
So far so good

Steelers go up 7-3 in first half.

1. They really have changed their entire play selection. This appears to be on account of Rudolph and the lack of time back there. But I'm glad to see any such big adjustments.
  2. Rudolph looks very timid/unsure every time they show his face on screen when the Offense is out their. This will change over time.
  3. Using both backs is the obvious answer imho.

I think the better answer is....we got nothing so let’s go wildcat.

it’s the bengals so....pecker stays in pants

but samuels is a useful talent.  Get him on the field

Rudolph can run and throw but is really timid.  The wr are not good but that won’t work against better teams

D looks ok.  Pass rush good.  

Users who are viewing this thread