Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Now will they cut Switz and sign Eli Rogers??

Moncrief, hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:
17 hours ago, [scooter] said:

The thing about Kurt Warner is that he had already been playing pro football for 4 seasons (2 in the Arena league, one in NFL Europe, and 1 as a Rams backup), and he had earned the 2nd string job prior to training camp in 1999. He wasn't signed off the street or off the practice squad.

There isn't much precedent for quarterbacks going from practice squad to breakout star.

Officially Paul Justin was the #2.

Justin was traded to the Rams on 8/30/1999, two days after Trent Green was injured, and one day after Warner had been named the starting QB.

Warner was the clear-cut #2 QB all through training camp (they had traded Tony Banks in April, and Steve Bono was allowed to leave as a free agent in March).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Moncrief, hopefully.

With Washington out I think there is a good chance Moncrief plays this week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

With Washington out I think there is a good chance Moncrief plays this week

Yes, I'm afraid of that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see the defense continue with the good play and the offense not kick itself in the nuts repeatedly.  That strategy has won Super Bowls for us and others.

Moncrief was a legit WR2.  We paid good money for him. Throw him a few more passes before you discard him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, infantsam said:

Let’s see the defense continue with the good play and the offense not kick itself in the nuts repeatedly.  That strategy has won Super Bowls for us and others.

Moncrief was a legit WR2.  We paid good money for him. Throw him a few more passes before you discard him.

 

if they don't cut him before week 10 they lose the 3rd round compensatory pick

Edited by JoeSteeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They better cut Moncrief he has worse hands than Dwight Stone.  Losing a 3rd pick is definitely a Tomlin move though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the camp of definitely giving Moncreif a few more weeks  as a "tryout".  He's had a lot of potential in the past and may be a nice # 2 next year if his drops truly are related to an injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went back and watched some college game tape of Hodges. He flashed signs of being a really good anticipation thrower, and also had moments where he was flustered and threw bad picks. He's similar to Ben when he escapes the pocket, he keeps his eyes down field and pump fakes the crap out of the defense before finding a target for a big gain, or he lobs up an idiotic throw for an easy pick. 

From 3 weeks of Mason, I think that Hodges has an equal shot to be a decent starting QB. Mason has the arm strength and confidence, but he's not very good at anticipation and usually waits until a target is completely open. By then the secondary is closing and the pass is often broken up, even though the WR or TE was wide open at one point during the route. In his limited time, Hodges threw the WR open instead of waiting for him to be open to throw the pass. A mistake of Rudolph's is to commonly overthrow WRs to prevent a potential pick, and Hodges has almost the opposite problem, throwing the ball into the dirt at WRs' feet. If he doesn't set his feet and have a proper throwing motion, his passes don't quite have the umph to reach their proper target and can fall short. 

I think that if our team can have an equal turnover differential, and our defense can hold the Chargers to 24 pts or less, that we will win the game. If it turns into a shootout, I think our chances drop from 50/50 to 10%. Hopefully Nelson will be able to play because he's currently being charted as the 12th best player in coverage so far this season by PFF. 

Prediction for Sunday night! Steelers start the game with the ball and go 3 and out and everyone freaks. In the first half the Steelers cause 2 turnovers while giving up 1 and go into the half down 14 - 10. In the second half the Chargers get some cheap call that goes their way and they further the lead to 17-10, but then Hodges and Conner go on a tear and our D shuts down the Chargers until late in the 4th. The Steelers will be up 24-17 with Rivers having the ball and 3-5 minutes left. We'll all feel pretty good, like, Hey we've been shutting them down all 2nd half! But of course our D will change 100% from what has worked and go prevent. The Chargers will score and tie it up with 1:30 left and all hope will be lost. But wait! quack. quack. Quack. Quack. QUACK! QUACK! The stadium ramps up the noise (it's in LA but more Steelers than Chargers fans). Hodges leads an incredible drive and moves them down the field into easy chip shot field goal range and Boswell scores the game winning FG as time expires. Stadium goes wild! QB controversy going into the bye week.  Lose to the Dolphins in 2 weeks (jk, they're going to crush the Dolphins, Fitzpatrick revenge game). 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Went back and watched some college game tape of Hodges. He flashed signs of being a really good anticipation thrower, and also had moments where he was flustered and threw bad picks. He's similar to Ben when he escapes the pocket, he keeps his eyes down field and pump fakes the crap out of the defense before finding a target for a big gain, or he lobs up an idiotic throw for an easy pick. 

From 3 weeks of Mason, I think that Hodges has an equal shot to be a decent starting QB. Mason has the arm strength and confidence, but he's not very good at anticipation and usually waits until a target is completely open. By then the secondary is closing and the pass is often broken up, even though the WR or TE was wide open at one point during the route. In his limited time, Hodges threw the WR open instead of waiting for him to be open to throw the pass. A mistake of Rudolph's is to commonly overthrow WRs to prevent a potential pick, and Hodges has almost the opposite problem, throwing the ball into the dirt at WRs' feet. If he doesn't set his feet and have a proper throwing motion, his passes don't quite have the umph to reach their proper target and can fall short. 

I think that if our team can have an equal turnover differential, and our defense can hold the Chargers to 24 pts or less, that we will win the game. If it turns into a shootout, I think our chances drop from 50/50 to 10%. Hopefully Nelson will be able to play because he's currently being charted as the 12th best player in coverage so far this season by PFF. 

Prediction for Sunday night! Steelers start the game with the ball and go 3 and out and everyone freaks. In the first half the Steelers cause 2 turnovers while giving up 1 and go into the half down 14 - 10. In the second half the Chargers get some cheap call that goes their way and they further the lead to 17-10, but then Hodges and Conner go on a tear and our D shuts down the Chargers until late in the 4th. The Steelers will be up 24-17 with Rivers having the ball and 3-5 minutes left. We'll all feel pretty good, like, Hey we've been shutting them down all 2nd half! But of course our D will change 100% from what has worked and go prevent. The Chargers will score and tie it up with 1:30 left and all hope will be lost. But wait! quack. quack. Quack. Quack. QUACK! QUACK! The stadium ramps up the noise (it's in LA but more Steelers than Chargers fans). Hodges leads an incredible drive and moves them down the field into easy chip shot field goal range and Boswell scores the game winning FG as time expires. Stadium goes wild! QB controversy going into the bye week.  Lose to the Dolphins in 2 weeks (jk, they're going to crush the Dolphins, Fitzpatrick revenge game). 

 

It would be nice if we got a little revenge from last year's loss to the Chargers (where if I recall we were screwed by refs and just sheer bad luck).

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers aren't playing that well but they have a great running game and their QB has a little more experience than ours. 

I sure wish this game was at home.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred Johnson and Jayrone Elliot put on waivers to make room for T. Edmonds and P. Lynch.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Fred Johnson and Jayrone Elliot put on waivers to make room for T. Edmonds and P. Lynch.

Well that means that Mason Rudolph won't be suiting up, even in a backup role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Well that means that Mason Rudolph won't be suiting up, even in a backup role.

Which should be no surprise to anyone.  There is no way there should even be a thought of playing him this week given that hit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Which should be no surprise to anyone.  There is no way there should even be a thought of playing him this week given that hit.

Agreed but the reports that he practiced on a limited basis this week might have led some to think that he could suit up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

if they don't cut him before week 10 they lose the 3rd round compensatory pick

That sucks.  Our cap and draft situation seems to be a mess right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Fred Johnson and Jayrone Elliot put on waivers to make room for T. Edmonds and P. Lynch.

Some thoughtful comments from Johnson here.

I like his outlook and I hope he sticks around in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stat: Passing yards allowed per game fell from 320 to 170 after trading for Minkah.

In other news, Artie Burns expected to start for Steven Nelson. Not good. Very not good. I sadly expect him to commit at least one crucial PI and allow 2 TDs. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Interesting stat: Passing yards allowed per game fell from 320 to 170 after trading for Minkah.

In other news, Artie Burns expected to start for Steven Nelson. Not good. Very not good. I sadly expect him to commit at least one crucial PI and allow 2 TDs. 

Is Artie our worst ever first round pick?  I know “ever” is a long time but......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Is Artie our worst ever first round pick?  I know “ever” is a long time but......

Troy Edwards comes immediately to mind.  But Jamain Stephens probably wins this award.

I wanted to say Limas Sweed, but he was a second round bust.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Troy Edwards comes immediately to mind.  But Jamain Stephens probably wins this award.

I wanted to say Limas Sweed, but he was a second round bust.

Huey Richardson.

Barely lasted 1 year in the NFL as the 15th overall selection.  Cowher wanted to cut him during the first year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arodin said:

Troy Edwards comes immediately to mind.  But Jamain Stephens probably wins this award.

I wanted to say Limas Sweed, but he was a second round bust.

Edwards was a terrible pick. It was so clearly a huge reach when they made it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Huey Richardson.

Barely lasted 1 year in the NFL as the 15th overall selection.  Cowher wanted to cut him during the first year.

This is the correct answer.

Aaron Jones is a contender also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much Wildcat do they run with Hodges?  I guess Samuel is out so we won't get to see. 

Hodges is going to impress... At least if you were impressed with Rudolph. .. 

Edited by kittenmittens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really struggling with starting Conner... what’s the Homer sentiment on him with Samuels out but Hodges under center? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Really struggling with starting Conner... what’s the Homer sentiment on him with Samuels out but Hodges under center? 
 

 

He could have a good game with a bunch of check downs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, candian fantasy guy said:

I feel much better about Conner than I do JuJu. How do you all feel about JuJu with Hodges in? 5-6 catches with 80 yards? Is that being too hopeful?

He got juju the ball. Juju’s problem is turf toe and the qb not having time to throw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to CBS Sports, the Redskins really really want Tomlin as their next head coach.   Given how stupid the Skins are how much do you think we can get for them.  They are hoping that he is fired and I just don't think that is happening no matter how bad they are this year.   Especially when you know there is a team run by idiots that wants him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers injuries have been unreal this season. 

And it continues with Tuitt.    :sadbanana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice win tonight!  I've been a critic of Tomlin but mad props to him tonight.  Can't really fault him for anything.  Going into the bye, it sure would be nice if we got some good news on Tuitt.  ### #### this team has been crippled with bad luck this year.

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the Chargers are kind of the suck, but the defense looked pretty legit  this week before people started getting banged up.  Even with that, there were, what, two/three dropped INTs on top of the two they brought down?  Can't recall the last Steelers' defense that got their hands on the ball that much in a single game.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Steelers team was actually good. Injuries, bad luck, and a terrible roughing the passer call has been killing us. 

They need to cut switzer for eli rogers though. He is a waste of space unfortunately. 

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, steelers1080 said:

Prediction for Sunday night! Steelers start the game with the ball and go 3 and out and everyone freaks. In the first half the Steelers cause 2 turnovers while giving up 1 and go into the half down 14 - 10. In the second half the Chargers get some cheap call that goes their way and they further the lead to 17-10, but then Hodges and Conner go on a tear and our D shuts down the Chargers until late in the 4th. The Steelers will be up 24-17 with Rivers having the ball and 3-5 minutes left. We'll all feel pretty good, like, Hey we've been shutting them down all 2nd half! But of course our D will change 100% from what has worked and go prevent. The Chargers will score and tie it up with 1:30 left and all hope will be lost. But wait! quack. quack. Quack. Quack. QUACK! QUACK! The stadium ramps up the noise (it's in LA but more Steelers than Chargers fans). Hodges leads an incredible drive and moves them down the field into easy chip shot field goal range and Boswell scores the game winning FG as time expires. Stadium goes wild! QB controversy going into the bye week.  Lose to the Dolphins in 2 weeks (jk, they're going to crush the Dolphins, Fitzpatrick revenge game). 

Some of the prediction was pretty spot on! Our team looked dominant in the first half, and fine with settling in the second. We went from Win-Mode to Don't-Lose-Mode. We got a nice win in prime time so I'm not going to nitpick too much. Burns looked awful and most of the Chargers completions came against him, so hopefully Nelson is back after the bye. We really need Tuitt and Watt to be ok after the bye, pressure on opposing QBs has helped our defense immensely. Also, really happy that Bush came back in the game in the 2nd half. Was worried he had a serious injury too. 

Duck looked just ok, but that's all we needed last night. I think that after the bye Rudolph will get the look if he's back to full strength. We're going up against a Dolphins team that is literally trying every way possible to lose games, so we should be ok, but knowing our history against bad teams we still have to play the game as tough as possible. Fitzmagic is going to ruin somebody this year, but let it not be us. 

We're 2-4 with a stretch of 3 home games upcoming against the Dolphins, Colts with Brissett, and the Rams who seem to be falling apart without a full strength Gurley. Hope remains! The Browns fell to the Seahawks and have the Pats upcoming. The Ravens are on a bye, but then play in Seattle and then against the Pats. In 3 weeks we could be tied for 1st in the AFC North.

The door is still wide open, we just need Conner to break 3 tackles and walk through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great road win last night.  Getting a quick lead was the key and I hope we can continue that trend.

This bye week couldn't have come at a better time.  Hopefully the walking wounded will be able to heal during the off time.

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That defense when healthy is just vicious. I like the way they’re managing games and not try to do too much (other than the unnecessary Hodges throw in the 4th quarter).  It’s such a change from the past few years but low risk offense is good for now.  If the defense is healthy in 2 weeks, only way they would lose to Miami is by shooting themselves in the foot.  Doesn’t seem like the coaching staff is going to let that happen.  I still think it’s a long shot that this team is good enough to win the division but at least there is hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Great home road win last night.  Getting a quick lead was the key and I hope we can continue that trend.

This bye week couldn't have come at a better time.  Hopefully the walking wounded will be able to heal during the off time.

Corrected. The stadium seemed to be 80-90% Steelers fans. The showing was incredible. After every positive Steelers play the cheers were loud. The chants of DEFENSE DEFENSE when the Chargers were driving was excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steelers1080 said:

Corrected. The stadium seemed to be 80-90% Steelers fans. The showing was incredible. After every positive Steelers play the cheers were loud. The chants of DEFENSE DEFENSE when the Chargers were driving was excellent. 

Yes.  I went to the 49ers game and would have put that at about 25% Steelers fans which I thought was impressive but nowhere near last night in LA.   I wish I would have been there instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Switzer is averaging 3.4 yards per reception this year. Essentially we may as well have Alualu in the slot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Ryan Switzer is averaging 3.4 yards per reception this year. Essentially we may as well have Alualu in the slot. 

Not scrappy enough!

I agree, Switzer is balls.  Has this dude EVER made a play for the Steelers?  Returner or WR?  I don't recall one.  Have to believe someone else would be doing better with his reps.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Tuitt out of the year..torn pec :cry:

You've got to be freaking kidding me. Unbelievable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Tuitt out of the year..torn pec :cry:

Devastating injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't watch the game. Very happy for the win. Good time for the bye.

Believe that Alualu and Hargrave (if they let him) can replace Tuitt relatively well at LDE and in the 2-4-5 nickel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Believe that Alualu and Hargrave (if they let him) can replace Tuitt relatively well at LDE and in the 2-4-5 nickel.

Even if that is true, which is debatable, it significantly effects the rotation.  Having a guy like Alualu available in reserve to give both Tuitt and Heyward plays off is a pretty big luxury they won't have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member