Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

46 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Conner no practice again. Looking like Samuels will get most of the RB touches.

If Conner is out, is Samuels lock RB2 with RB1 upside? Have not really seen him play, so not sure of his profile (run only, run/pass value, or more of a 3rd down back?)

Figure if the locals don't know, who does?

1 minute ago, Big Blue Wrecking Crew said:

If Conner is out, is Samuels lock RB2 with RB1 upside? Have not really seen him play, so not sure of his profile (run only, run/pass value, or more of a 3rd down back?)

I see that Conner did not practice and is listed as Doubtful so Samuels is going to get an overwhelming bulk of the snaps.  How well he does really depends on how the Steelers run blocking matches up against the Colts front 7 and I really don't know to say.   Samuels is a pretty decent receiver and stays in on passing plays so that is a bonus.  

I have Samuels but can only start two RBs and don't think I can start him over Jacobs and Montgomery but I am tempted

Steelers injuries:  Snell & Foster out, Conner doubtful,  Nix questionable.

The GOOD news:  WR Ty Hilton is OUT and CB Pierre Desir is doubtful. 

38 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers injuries:  Snell & Foster out, Conner doubtful,  Nix questionable.

The GOOD news:  WR Ty Hilton is OUT and CB Pierre Desir is doubtful. 

This could be a low scoring scrappy affair. It could come down to a game winning field goal, hopefully we're on the right side of it. 

Rock Ya-Sin has allowed  19-of-29 passing for 317 yards and two touchdowns in his coverage this year. for a  125.2 QB Rating 

Kenny Moore has allowed a 74.2 percent catch-rate.

Per Fantasypros

Edited by JoeSteeler

21 hours ago, Big Blue Wrecking Crew said:

I would say RB2 with RB1 upside. He is a good receiver so worth more in PPR I would think.

I am projecting 16-67 rushing and 5-31 receiving....so around 10 in standard and 15 in PPR. I don't know that I am confident he will score a TD.

Edited by JoeSteeler

52 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

I would say RB3 with RB2 upside. He is a good receiver so worth more in PPR I would think.

I am projecting 16-67 rushing and 5-31 receiving....so around 10 in standard and 15 in PPR. I don't know that I am confident he will score a TD.

15 in ppr is not rb3. You are describing rb 2 and with 1 td rb1 

43 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

15 in ppr is not rb3. You are describing rb 2 and with 1 td rb1 

fair enough

2 hours ago, moondog said:

Moncrief was released to move Tony Brooks-James to the 53 for the Indy game.    

Steelers should get a 3rd comp pick in the next draft by releasing Moncrief. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/11/steelers-release-wr-donte-moncrief/

Yep, I think it buys them a little more cap space next season too 

Really good win against the Colts.  Helps that the laces were in on that game winning FG attempt.  4 straight wins and finally beating a winning team is a good sign.  Not really a good sign that we can talk playoffs but at least we are just handing a top 5 pick to the Dolphins next year.  Although even if that happened maybe it is worth to have a stud like MInkah Fitzpatrick out there.  

Although even if that happened maybe it is worth to have a stud like MInkah Fitzpatrick out there.  

While i wouldn't want to debate if it's worth a top 5 pick, it IS nice to have a guy in the defensive backfield who can actually take the ball away.  They haven't had that since, like, Woodson.  I'd almost forgotten what it feels like.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle

26 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

While i wouldn't want to debate if it's worth a top 5 pick, it IS nice to have a guy in the defensive backfield who can actually take the ball away.  They haven't had that since, like, Woodson.  I'd almost forgotten what it feels like.

Didn't Polamalu have pretty good hands?

I'm confused.  As a Steeler fan, should I be rooting for the Patriots tonight?  I can't remember the last time I did that.

• Like 1

I’m not sure how you could think Minkah was not worth it.

High first round talent with no risk and immediate payoff.   

• Like 4

Just now, infantsam said:

Totally agree.  He's our 2020 first round pick, we get his services for this year, he's a stud already so we know the pick isn't a bust, and he's on an affordable contract for many more years.  I originally thought the pick the Steelers gave to the Dolphins would have to be 11th or greater to make the trade worth while, but now I don't care about that.  Minkah is a stud and I'm glad he's part of the team.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Gold Fox said:

I'm confused.  As a Steeler fan, should I be rooting for the Patriots tonight?  I can't remember the last time I did that.

100%.  Ravens look legit though.  

28 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Totally agree.  He's our 2020 first round pick, we get his services for this year, he's a stud already so we know the pick isn't a bust, and he's on an affordable contract for many more years.  I originally thought the pick the Steelers gave to the Dolphins would have to be 11th or greater to make the trade worth while, but now I don't care about that.  Minkah is a stud and I'm glad he's part of the team.

Completely agree.  I questioned the move at the time (mainly because I thought they were gambling on Rudolph being the real deal) but I was dead wrong.  The guy is a complete stud and a ball hawk.  Refreshing to have that on our team for a change.  Can you imagine this defense with Tuitt and Shazier?  :sadbanana:

• Like 1

And Edelman just fumbles the ball with the Patriots driving.  Unreal.

1 hour ago, infantsam said:

I don't get it either... Steelers could have gotten another Jarvis Jones with their first round pick next year. They spent it on a guy who was a need and will be better then a draft pick will over next 5 years and beyond. 

If they were in total rebuild mode, I get complaining about the trade.. But with the young talent they have like Conner, JuJu, Washington, Mason, Snell, Watt, Bush, Edmonds, Dupree, they have young talent to continue to compete.

• Like 2

Don't forget, with the Steelers pick currently sitting at the #17 slot... they would have had to give up the #17 + more picks to move up to what they had graded as a top-7 player. At the least they needed to move up to the #11 where Miami selected him.

If he was around #7 then that's +2nd and +3rd. If it was #11 then that was +2nd. As it was Pitt who got the the early 4th. And the other picks mean next to nothing in value comparison (mid, 5th, mid 6th and early 7th).

*without the "job" in the Ravens game, they would be the #6 team in the second wild-card spot right now. And pick #22.

4 hours ago, Choke said:

*without the "job" in the Ravens game, they would be the #6 team in the second wild-card spot right now. And pick #22.

Yea that terrible roughing call is the whole season (other than Ben) right now. 

25 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Yea that terrible roughing call is the whole season (other than Ben) right now. 

I'm not going to derail the thread and harp on this, but they overcame the bad call in the Ravens game and were in position to win anyway.... then Ju Ju fumbled... so I blame that play (or give credit to Humphries on his play to knock it out) for the loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler said:

I'm not going to derail the thread and harp on this, but they overcame the bad call in the Ravens game and were in position to win anyway.... then Ju Ju fumbled... so I blame that play (or give credit to Humphries on his play to knock it out) for the loss.

Agreed.  And they still half a season to go. They control their destiny to make the playoffs.  Hate blaming the refs.

• Like 1

There is room for a lot of improvement but it was a huge win against a quality opponent. We got lucky with the missed FG but we have had a lot of bad luck this season so we were due.

• Like 2

Anyone agree Mason isn't the future? The kid can't read the field. I stopped counting the missed open receivers he didn't see. He's too quick dump it off to a RB instead of waiting for a play to develop and lacks confidence throwing down field. I like the kid but all I see is a career back up.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

They still suck at challenges. 

What is the probability of winning a challenge on a PI/non-PI call?  Tomlin needs to think about that regardless of how questionable the call may appear.  It has to be absolutely blatant for those calls to get overturned (and even then it still may not).  Had the kicker made that FG, those 2 challenges would have essentially been the dagger.

59 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Anyone agree Mason isn't the future? The kid can't read the field. I stopped counting the missed open receivers he didn't see. He's too quick dump it off to a RB instead of waiting for a play to develop and lacks confidence throwing down field. I like the kid but all I see is a career back up.

I don’t like what I’ve seen at all from him but it’s way too early to write him off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geneyus said:

Missed reads and patience with play development can be coached and improve as a player becomes more familiar with the offense. I am much more concerned about the accuracy on downfield passes (thrown behind the receiver). I think I read that he has average/below-average arm strength, and we might be seeing evidence  of that.

I’m still willing to wait it out and see how he progresses. He is moving the chains and making some plays when he needs to. It’s too early to write him off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geneyus said:

That comes from experience.  He will get better but he will have ups and downs along the way. He definitely is holding onto the ball too long.

It isn’t always pretty but he is getting the job done and not throwing a lot picks.  The one yesterday wasn’t his fault 

21 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I don’t like what I’ve seen at all from him but it’s way too early to write him off.

This is basically where I'm living.  At best, he seems pretty "meh", but it is possible he can surprise.

9 hours ago, Choke said:

Don't forget, with the Steelers pick currently sitting at the #17 slot... they would have had to give up the #17 + more picks to move up to what they had graded as a top-7 player. At the least they needed to move up to the #11 where Miami selected him.

If he was around #7 then that's +2nd and +3rd. If it was #11 then that was +2nd. As it was Pitt who got the the early 4th. And the other picks mean next to nothing in value comparison (mid, 5th, mid 6th and early 7th).

Where I have been living with this trade in my head from the beginning was, basically, "If they end up picking higher than 15 this trade is a huge win if Minkah performs as good as expected."  So far, he has more than delivered on his end of the bargain.

I get that the Steelers claim he was a top 7 guy on their board in '18, but for my own personal tastes I'm never spending a pick inside the top 15 (certainly not the top 7) on S.  They'd have to be dead nuts locked in as a "Polamalu clone" for me to consider it.

Regardless, I was happy to have the player when they made the trade and I'm happy he was worked out so well.  The pick they trade will be whatever it is, and I'll probably stay glad they have Fitzpatrick.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

What is the probability of winning a challenge on a PI/non-PI call?  Tomlin needs to think about that regardless of how questionable the call may appear.  It has to be absolutely blatant for those calls to get overturned (and even then it still may not).  Had the kicker made that FG, those 2 challenges would have essentially been the dagger.

I don’t blame Tomlin for the first challenge.  It was an extremely low chance of being overturned but that was a huge play.

No excuse for the second challenge, there was zero chance of that being overturned and you can’t burn your second timeout.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I don’t blame Tomlin for the first challenge.  It was an extremely low chance of being overturned but that was a huge play.

No excuse for the second challenge, there was zero chance of that being overturned and you can’t burn your second timeout.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

You’re right.  The first challenge makes sense because it was late in game and he still had another challenge left.  Agree that the second challenge was bad and could have cost them the game.  No way Rudolph is getting them into FG range with 0 timeouts and a minute left.

19 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

The second challenge was beyond ridiculous. The first one should have been won. Not challenging the td in the first half was a terrible call.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

The second challenge was beyond ridiculous. The first one should have been won. Not challenging the td in the first half was a terrible call.

I agree the TD should have been challenged but they had the ball inside the 1 with 2 more downs.  The next play should have been a TD but Edmunds went inside when the play was designed to go outside. DeCastro and Nix were pissed

It WAS offensive PI, but he had to know there was no way he'd get the overturn.  

I would almost never challenge PI.  I still can't believe they overturned the one that cost us the Seattle game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

100%

I still cant believe they called unnecessary roughness for Switzer legally getting tackled :lmao:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, belljr said:

I still cant believe they called unnecessary roughness for Switzer legally getting tackled :lmao:

Yeah that was total BS.  The Colts haD every right to be upset about that one

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

QBs rarely change who they are.  He's also not really young. 

4 hours ago, Gold Fox said:

Missed reads and patience with play development can be coached and improve as a player becomes more familiar with the offense. I am much more concerned about the accuracy on downfield passes (thrown behind the receiver). I think I read that he has average/below-average arm strength, and we might be seeing evidence  of that.

I’m still willing to wait it out and see how he progresses. He is moving the chains and making some plays when he needs to. It’s too early to write him off.

Pocket presence is horrible as well. 

On 11/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, steelers1080 said:

This could be a low scoring scrappy affair. It could come down to a game winning field goal, hopefully we're on the right side of it. 

Pretty spot on. With all those turnovers it was definitely scrappy. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, steelers1080 said:

Well crap. I think this is probably not accurate anymore, and wouldn't have been even if Ben stayed healthy. So, clearly the time to update this is now, while we still don't know how terrible (or great) Rudolph will be. We're obviously 0-2 after 2 weeks, and I would be surprised if we beat the 49ers on the road, since we never win on the west coast. So, after starting 0-3 we go on a short run and win 1 game, taking down the Bengals. The Ravens and Chargers will both be favorites against the Steelers but I think we're able to win at least 1 of those games, so now we're a solid 2-4. The Dolphins kick off a mini-run for us and we wind up 4-4 after 8 weeks. Rams-Browns-Bengals-Browns doesn't look too favorable now, but Goff falls into a slump and the Browns are somehow still bad, allowing us to dominate this stretch, 8-4 after 12 weeks. Cards-Bills-Jets sounds like an easy run, but we're unable to put away teams with terrible records so we end up eking by a 2-1 record there, putting us at 10-5. No one expects us to win against the Ravens right now, but with Lamar Jackson running on every 3rd play he gets hit more than his body can handle and RG3 doesn't last much longer. The Ravens are starting Trace McSorley by week 17 and the Steelers pull off the division clinching win. 11-5, did not see that coming at the beginning of this paragraph.

I think the biggest takeaway is that I'm still overly optimistic and that this season has yet to crush my hopes and dreams. If last week showed us anything its that anything can happen. Big Ben and Brees sustained major injuries and the Jets QB was too busy getting the kissing disease to stay on the field. The AFC looks insurmountable at the moment, but Brady and Mahomes are 1 bad hit away from the same fate as Ben. Anything can happen and I won't give up hope until we're eliminated from the playoffs (Or if we lose to the Dolphins). 

Called the 4-4, not bad at all. NE didn't do us any favors last night, but if we can somehow go on a 4-0 run starting next week we are still right in the thick of things! Also, we have the tie breaker against two top wild card contenders in the Colts and Chargers. Could come in handy later. And only 2 of our losses were AFC, could come into play if it goes down the line of tie breakers. 

21 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

QBs rarely change who they are.  He's also not really young. 

He’s young in terms of real game NFL experience.  But yeah the odds are stacked against him.  Hell the odds are stacked against just about every QB coming out of college.  What percentage  turn into even a serviceable QB?  That percentage drops even further when they’re drafted outside of the first.  So yes the odds that Mason Rudolph turns into a good QB is pretty slim. But anything is possible.    

• Like 1

He's 24 - in his second year.   Definitely NOT OLD.

But I don't like what I've seen out of him if you compare him to other second year QB's

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, belljr said:

He's 24 - in his second year.   Definitely NOT OLD.

But I don't like what I've seen out of him if you compare him to other second year QB's

He doesn't look like a reliable long term answer. He tends to get flustered and dump off without keeping his eyes downfield, missing out on larger opportunities. But he's far from the worst backup QB.