What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

I’m not sure how you could think Minkah was not worth it.

High first round talent with no risk and immediate payoff.   
I don't get it either... Steelers could have gotten another Jarvis Jones with their first round pick next year. They spent it on a guy who was a need and will be better then a draft pick will over next 5 years and beyond. 

If they were in total rebuild mode, I get complaining about the trade.. But with the young talent they have like Conner, JuJu, Washington, Mason, Snell, Watt, Bush, Edmonds, Dupree, they have young talent to continue to compete.

Yea that terrible roughing call is the whole season (other than Ben) right now. 
I'm not going to derail the thread and harp on this, but they overcame the bad call in the Ravens game and were in position to win anyway.... then Ju Ju fumbled... so I blame that play (or give credit to Humphries on his play to knock it out) for the loss.

I'm not going to derail the thread and harp on this, but they overcame the bad call in the Ravens game and were in position to win anyway.... then Ju Ju fumbled... so I blame that play (or give credit to Humphries on his play to knock it out) for the loss.
Agreed.  And they still half a season to go. They control their destiny to make the playoffs.  Hate blaming the refs.

Anyone agree Mason isn't the future? The kid can't read the field. I stopped counting the missed open receivers he didn't see. He's too quick dump it off to a RB instead of waiting for a play to develop and lacks confidence throwing down field. I like the kid but all I see is a career back up.

They still suck at challenges. 
What is the probability of winning a challenge on a PI/non-PI call?  Tomlin needs to think about that regardless of how questionable the call may appear.  It has to be absolutely blatant for those calls to get overturned (and even then it still may not).  Had the kicker made that FG, those 2 challenges would have essentially been the dagger.

Anyone agree Mason isn't the future? The kid can't read the field. I stopped counting the missed open receivers he didn't see. He's too quick dump it off to a RB instead of waiting for a play to develop and lacks confidence throwing down field. I like the kid but all I see is a career back up.
I don’t like what I’ve seen at all from him but it’s way too early to write him off.

Missed reads and patience with play development can be coached and improve as a player becomes more familiar with the offense. I am much more concerned about the accuracy on downfield passes (thrown behind the receiver). I think I read that he has average/below-average arm strength, and we might be seeing evidence  of that.

I’m still willing to wait it out and see how he progresses. He is moving the chains and making some plays when he needs to. It’s too early to write him off.

That comes from experience.  He will get better but he will have ups and downs along the way. He definitely is holding onto the ball too long.

It isn’t always pretty but he is getting the job done and not throwing a lot picks.  The one yesterday wasn’t his fault 

I don’t like what I’ve seen at all from him but it’s way too early to write him off.
This is basically where I'm living.  At best, he seems pretty "meh", but it is possible he can surprise.

Don't forget, with the Steelers pick currently sitting at the #17 slot... they would have had to give up the #17 + more picks to move up to what they had graded as a top-7 player. At the least they needed to move up to the #11 where Miami selected him.

If he was around #7 then that's +2nd and +3rd. If it was #11 then that was +2nd. As it was Pitt who got the the early 4th. And the other picks mean next to nothing in value comparison (mid, 5th, mid 6th and early 7th).
Where I have been living with this trade in my head from the beginning was, basically, "If they end up picking higher than 15 this trade is a huge win if Minkah performs as good as expected."  So far, he has more than delivered on his end of the bargain.

I get that the Steelers claim he was a top 7 guy on their board in '18, but for my own personal tastes I'm never spending a pick inside the top 15 (certainly not the top 7) on S.  They'd have to be dead nuts locked in as a "Polamalu clone" for me to consider it.

Regardless, I was happy to have the player when they made the trade and I'm happy he was worked out so well.  The pick they trade will be whatever it is, and I'll probably stay glad they have Fitzpatrick.

What is the probability of winning a challenge on a PI/non-PI call?  Tomlin needs to think about that regardless of how questionable the call may appear.  It has to be absolutely blatant for those calls to get overturned (and even then it still may not).  Had the kicker made that FG, those 2 challenges would have essentially been the dagger.
I don’t blame Tomlin for the first challenge.  It was an extremely low chance of being overturned but that was a huge play.

No excuse for the second challenge, there was zero chance of that being overturned and you can’t burn your second timeout.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I don’t blame Tomlin for the first challenge.  It was an extremely low chance of being overturned but that was a huge play.

No excuse for the second challenge, there was zero chance of that being overturned and you can’t burn your second timeout.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.
You’re right.  The first challenge makes sense because it was late in game and he still had another challenge left.  Agree that the second challenge was bad and could have cost them the game.  No way Rudolph is getting them into FG range with 0 timeouts and a minute left.

The second challenge was beyond ridiculous. The first one should have been won. Not challenging the td in the first half was a terrible call.

The second challenge was beyond ridiculous. The first one should have been won. Not challenging the td in the first half was a terrible call.
I agree the TD should have been challenged but they had the ball inside the 1 with 2 more downs.  The next play should have been a TD but Edmunds went inside when the play was designed to go outside. DeCastro and Nix were pissed

It WAS offensive PI, but he had to know there was no way he'd get the overturn.  

I would almost never challenge PI.  I still can't believe they overturned the one that cost us the Seattle game.

100%

Rudolph is a project.  I'm not sure how promising of a project he is, but he's quite bad right now. I'm not sure he's the best chance to win. 

Missed reads and patience with play development can be coached and improve as a player becomes more familiar with the offense. I am much more concerned about the accuracy on downfield passes (thrown behind the receiver). I think I read that he has average/below-average arm strength, and we might be seeing evidence  of that.

I’m still willing to wait it out and see how he progresses. He is moving the chains and making some plays when he needs to. It’s too early to write him off.
Pocket presence is horrible as well. 

This could be a low scoring scrappy affair. It could come down to a game winning field goal, hopefully we're on the right side of it. 
Pretty spot on. With all those turnovers it was definitely scrappy. 

Well crap. I think this is probably not accurate anymore, and wouldn't have been even if Ben stayed healthy. So, clearly the time to update this is now, while we still don't know how terrible (or great) Rudolph will be. We're obviously 0-2 after 2 weeks, and I would be surprised if we beat the 49ers on the road, since we never win on the west coast. So, after starting 0-3 we go on a short run and win 1 game, taking down the Bengals. The Ravens and Chargers will both be favorites against the Steelers but I think we're able to win at least 1 of those games, so now we're a solid 2-4. The Dolphins kick off a mini-run for us and we wind up 4-4 after 8 weeks. Rams-Browns-Bengals-Browns doesn't look too favorable now, but Goff falls into a slump and the Browns are somehow still bad, allowing us to dominate this stretch, 8-4 after 12 weeks. Cards-Bills-Jets sounds like an easy run, but we're unable to put away teams with terrible records so we end up eking by a 2-1 record there, putting us at 10-5. No one expects us to win against the Ravens right now, but with Lamar Jackson running on every 3rd play he gets hit more than his body can handle and RG3 doesn't last much longer. The Ravens are starting Trace McSorley by week 17 and the Steelers pull off the division clinching win. 11-5, did not see that coming at the beginning of this paragraph.

I think the biggest takeaway is that I'm still overly optimistic and that this season has yet to crush my hopes and dreams. If last week showed us anything its that anything can happen. Big Ben and Brees sustained major injuries and the Jets QB was too busy getting the kissing disease to stay on the field. The AFC looks insurmountable at the moment, but Brady and Mahomes are 1 bad hit away from the same fate as Ben. Anything can happen and I won't give up hope until we're eliminated from the playoffs (Or if we lose to the Dolphins). 
Called the 4-4, not bad at all. NE didn't do us any favors last night, but if we can somehow go on a 4-0 run starting next week we are still right in the thick of things! Also, we have the tie breaker against two top wild card contenders in the Colts and Chargers. Could come in handy later. And only 2 of our losses were AFC, could come into play if it goes down the line of tie breakers. 

QBs rarely change who they are.  He's also not really young. 
He’s young in terms of real game NFL experience.  But yeah the odds are stacked against him.  Hell the odds are stacked against just about every QB coming out of college.  What percentage  turn into even a serviceable QB?  That percentage drops even further when they’re drafted outside of the first.  So yes the odds that Mason Rudolph turns into a good QB is pretty slim. But anything is possible.    

He's 24 - in his second year.   Definitely NOT OLD.

But I don't like what I've seen out of him if you compare him to other second year QB's

He's 24 - in his second year.   Definitely NOT OLD.

But I don't like what I've seen out of him if you compare him to other second year QB's
He doesn't look like a reliable long term answer. He tends to get flustered and dump off without keeping his eyes downfield, missing out on larger opportunities. But he's far from the worst backup QB. 

Rudolph is playing how he is supposed to be playing.  He is managing the game and trying not to make mistakes.  He's not going to go out slinging it around every play.  He's been fine for what he is right now.

Copeman said:
Rudolph is playing how he is supposed to be playing.  He is managing the game and trying not to make mistakes.  He's not going to go out slinging it around every play.  He's been fine for what he is right now.
I mostly agree but when half of your throws are dumps to your RB that is not good.

I mostly agree but when half of your throws are dumps to your RB that is not good.
They can't run the ball.  So they are running with the short pass game.

There are some inaccurate throws mostly on crossing routes which is super dangerous but some other throws look darn good and he's staying in the pocket (almost too long)

Less nervous and making more and better throws each week if you ask me.  It would certainly help to have more than 1 RB who has more than a few carries in the backfield.

The Rams are not miles ahead of the Colts if at all.  Perhaps a bit more dangerous deep with Kupp and the Colts without Ty but they only have 1 good win in week 1 against Camolina.

Pittsburgh is getting 3.5 at home  which I guess is fair but the pass rush can change any game.  Not a game I would bet on for either side.

Sounds like the odds aren't good for Conner to play this week, according to Schefty. 

I have a bad feeling that the Rams will score a defensive or special teams TD this week. If that happens, I think that we definitely need to win the turnover differential this week to be victorious. 

They can't run the ball.  So they are running with the short pass game.

There are some inaccurate throws mostly on crossing routes which is super dangerous but some other throws look darn good and he's staying in the pocket (almost too long)

Less nervous and making more and better throws each week if you ask me.  It would certainly help to have more than 1 RB who has more than a few carries in the backfield.

The Rams are not miles ahead of the Colts if at all.  Perhaps a bit more dangerous deep with Kupp and the Colts without Ty but they only have 1 good win in week 1 against Camolina.

Pittsburgh is getting 3.5 at home  which I guess is fair but the pass rush can change any game.  Not a game I would bet on for either side.
Less than half of those passes to Samuels were designed to go to him as an extension of the running game.  A majority were designed to go downfield and either WRs were covered up or Rudolph holstered a throw he should have made and instead checked down.   Again, it may be coaching.  He may be being told to "manage" the game and not make any big mistakes, so he's playing overly cautious.  Or it may be that he currently lacks the confidence to throw into smaller windows.   Whatever it is, he's eventually going to have to start pulling the trigger on those passes and giving his WRs a chance to make some plays.   

Sounds like the odds aren't good for Conner to play this week, according to Schefty. 

I have a bad feeling that the Rams will score a defensive or special teams TD this week. If that happens, I think that we definitely need to win the turnover differential this week to be victorious. 
Thanks for the heads up. Edmunds  could see some time if his rib injury isn't too bad. On Twitter, I saw that the coaches thought Edmunds could've scored on the GL carry if he read the play better. Maybe he's a physical specimen without good RB skills. He hardly played in college. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than half of those passes to Samuels were designed to go to him as an extension of the running game.  A majority were designed to go downfield and either WRs were covered up or Rudolph holstered a throw he should have made and instead checked down.   Again, it may be coaching.  He may be being told to "manage" the game and not make any big mistakes, so he's playing overly cautious.  Or it may be that he currently lacks the confidence to throw into smaller windows.   Whatever it is, he's eventually going to have to start pulling the trigger on those passes and giving his WRs a chance to make some plays.   
I agree with that but I'll still suggest it looked like he was pretty good at taking what was given and moving the chains.  Avoiding three and outs and interceptions is a must do.  I'm not sure how we can get the D to play the run harder to give the WR's more space and not make the downfield plays so sketchy looking.

Either way he is our guy so lets see what happens with 3-4 more games.  Also wonder when we will learn that 1 RB ain't enough.

Ryan Switzer did not practice today.  If he can’t go a statue will be returning punts this week.  The statue’s hands aren’t as good but his return yard average is better.

Still zero idea why this guy is still with the team.  The next play he makes on teams will be his first as a Steeler I can recall.
Can we look at PR/KR screw ups prior to him?  Add a few 3rd down catches when Ben was there.

It's not great but it's 4-6 plays each game where we are pretty sure we won't fail when the consequences are higher than the payback.  Feel free to check but aside from a a few questionable fair catches he has done his job.

Many larger fish to fry.  When you scout the next Deion Sanders we're all ears.

Can we look at PR/KR screw ups prior to him?  Add a few 3rd down catches when Ben was there.

It's not great but it's 4-6 plays each game where we are pretty sure we won't fail when the consequences are higher than the payback.  Feel free to check but aside from a a few questionable fair catches he has done his job.

Many larger fish to fry.  When you scout the next Deion Sanders we're all ears.
This one immediately comes to mind:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/29/18035980/steelers-ryan-switzer-admits-he-did-not-know-the-rules-regarding-free-kicks-after-a-safety-nfl-news

Come on, if all your looking for from a return man is to not screw up catching the ball you are setting the bar incredibly low.

SoBeDad said:
Thanks for the heads up. Edmunds  could see some time if his rib injury isn't too bad. On Twitter, I saw that the coaches thought Edmunds could've scored on the GL carry if he read the play better. Maybe he's a physical specimen without good RB skills. He hardly played in college. 
oh he definitely could have scored. Decastro was pulling around the left end and I don't think there was a defender there at all

Still zero idea why this guy is still with the team.  The next play he makes on teams will be his first as a Steeler I can recall.
do they not have someone on the roster that can return kicks and punts? There has to be someone

ETA - De'Anthony Thomas was a FA up until earlier this week .I would rather have someone like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh he definitely could have scored. Decastro was pulling around the left end and I don't think there was a defender there at all
Now Edmunds is a non-participant and Conners is a participant at practice. I have Conners and used a throwaway pick on Edmunds. I think Snell is the better handcuff for Conners owners who don't have Jaylen, if he can return in 2 to 3 weeks.

This one immediately comes to mind:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/29/18035980/steelers-ryan-switzer-admits-he-did-not-know-the-rules-regarding-free-kicks-after-a-safety-nfl-news

Come on, if all your looking for from a return man is to not screw up catching the ball you are setting the bar incredibly low.
That was not great for sure :)

It is a low bar but I seem to recall that punts and kickoff's were an ongoing disaster for a bit there.  I'm not saying he's good - but let's make sure we get better before cutting him.

Watching the Raider/Charger game, kinda cheering the Raiders as the 3rd quarter is almost over... then I realized Oak at 4-4 and LAC at 4-5 and we beat the Chargers.  Then it dawned on me we want the Chargers to win.  😡  Go Chargers!  🤬
It didn't work out too well for us.  The Raiders have a nice schedule the rest of the way too.  Barring injury if they don't screw up they're going to be a wildcard

It didn't work out too well for us.  The Raiders have a nice schedule the rest of the way too.  Barring injury if they don't screw up they're going to be a wildcard
I think the Raiders and Steelers have great chances to be the Wild Card teams. This Sunday vs. the Rams is a big one though. Also big is the Bills at Cleveland, if the Browns can do you a favor and knock off what I think is a very suspect Buffalo team.

Buffalo better beat Cleveland and Denver the next 2 weeks, because they are looking at a potential 4-game losing streak starting in Week 13 when they have @DAL, BAL, @PIT and @NE. If they don't win the next 2 to reach 9-2 before they start that stretch, they might be in trouble to make the playoffs. The Week 15 Bills-Steelers game should have huge playoff implications. 

Conner, Foster, Snell, Rosie Nix all out this week against the Rams.  

JuJu limited.   Listed as questionable.

Trey Edmunds, Barron, Switz, McDonald, Pouncey and Alualu all were full particpants.

Users who are viewing this thread