Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

I actually like some of what I see from Rudolph.  I think either he's too afraid to make a mistake, which leads him to holster some throws he should make or he's being coached to play conservatively.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

I get that the Steelers claim he was a top 7 guy on their board in '18, but for my own personal tastes I'm never spending a pick inside the top 15 (certainly not the top 7) on S.  They'd have to be dead nuts locked in as a "Polamalu clone" for me to consider it.

Well the top-11 included 4 QBs and I doubt the Steelers (or you or me) would have taken three of those. And Safety Derwin James belonged to be up there as well -- though he didn't have quite the man coverage side. So two S's in the top 10.  :suds:

9 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

It WAS offensive PI, but he had to know there was no way he'd get the overturn.  

I would almost never challenge PI.  I still can't believe they overturned the one that cost us the Seattle game.

This. 100%.

Rudolph is playing how he is supposed to be playing.  He is managing the game and trying not to make mistakes.  He's not going to go out slinging it around every play.  He's been fine for what he is right now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Copeman said:

Rudolph is playing how he is supposed to be playing.  He is managing the game and trying not to make mistakes.  He's not going to go out slinging it around every play.  He's been fine for what he is right now.

I mostly agree but when half of your throws are dumps to your RB that is not good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I mostly agree but when half of your throws are dumps to your RB that is not good.

They can't run the ball.  So they are running with the short pass game.

There are some inaccurate throws mostly on crossing routes which is super dangerous but some other throws look darn good and he's staying in the pocket (almost too long)

Less nervous and making more and better throws each week if you ask me.  It would certainly help to have more than 1 RB who has more than a few carries in the backfield.

The Rams are not miles ahead of the Colts if at all.  Perhaps a bit more dangerous deep with Kupp and the Colts without Ty but they only have 1 good win in week 1 against Camolina.

Pittsburgh is getting 3.5 at home  which I guess is fair but the pass rush can change any game.  Not a game I would bet on for either side.

Is Rudolph really that much worse than Goff?  Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but still this is a very winnable game.

• Laughing 1

Where in the hell did our under-center snaps disappear to last week?  :hot:

Sounds like the odds aren't good for Conner to play this week, according to Schefty. 

I have a bad feeling that the Rams will score a defensive or special teams TD this week. If that happens, I think that we definitely need to win the turnover differential this week to be victorious. 

9 hours ago, infantsam said:

They can't run the ball.  So they are running with the short pass game.

There are some inaccurate throws mostly on crossing routes which is super dangerous but some other throws look darn good and he's staying in the pocket (almost too long)

Less nervous and making more and better throws each week if you ask me.  It would certainly help to have more than 1 RB who has more than a few carries in the backfield.

The Rams are not miles ahead of the Colts if at all.  Perhaps a bit more dangerous deep with Kupp and the Colts without Ty but they only have 1 good win in week 1 against Camolina.

Pittsburgh is getting 3.5 at home  which I guess is fair but the pass rush can change any game.  Not a game I would bet on for either side.

Less than half of those passes to Samuels were designed to go to him as an extension of the running game.  A majority were designed to go downfield and either WRs were covered up or Rudolph holstered a throw he should have made and instead checked down.   Again, it may be coaching.  He may be being told to "manage" the game and not make any big mistakes, so he's playing overly cautious.  Or it may be that he currently lacks the confidence to throw into smaller windows.   Whatever it is, he's eventually going to have to start pulling the trigger on those passes and giving his WRs a chance to make some plays.   

54 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Sounds like the odds aren't good for Conner to play this week, according to Schefty. 

I have a bad feeling that the Rams will score a defensive or special teams TD this week. If that happens, I think that we definitely need to win the turnover differential this week to be victorious. 

Thanks for the heads up. Edmunds  could see some time if his rib injury isn't too bad. On Twitter, I saw that the coaches thought Edmunds could've scored on the GL carry if he read the play better. Maybe he's a physical specimen without good RB skills. He hardly played in college. 

Edited by SoBeDad

2 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Less than half of those passes to Samuels were designed to go to him as an extension of the running game.  A majority were designed to go downfield and either WRs were covered up or Rudolph holstered a throw he should have made and instead checked down.   Again, it may be coaching.  He may be being told to "manage" the game and not make any big mistakes, so he's playing overly cautious.  Or it may be that he currently lacks the confidence to throw into smaller windows.   Whatever it is, he's eventually going to have to start pulling the trigger on those passes and giving his WRs a chance to make some plays.   

I agree with that but I'll still suggest it looked like he was pretty good at taking what was given and moving the chains.  Avoiding three and outs and interceptions is a must do.  I'm not sure how we can get the D to play the run harder to give the WR's more space and not make the downfield plays so sketchy looking.

Either way he is our guy so lets see what happens with 3-4 more games.  Also wonder when we will learn that 1 RB ain't enough.

Ryan Switzer did not practice today.  If he can’t go a statue will be returning punts this week.  The statue’s hands aren’t as good but his return yard average is better.

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Ryan Switzer did not practice today.  If he can’t go a statue will be returning punts this week.  The statue’s hands aren’t as good but his return yard average is better.

Still zero idea why this guy is still with the team.  The next play he makes on teams will be his first as a Steeler I can recall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Still zero idea why this guy is still with the team.  The next play he makes on teams will be his first as a Steeler I can recall.

Can we look at PR/KR screw ups prior to him?  Add a few 3rd down catches when Ben was there.

It's not great but it's 4-6 plays each game where we are pretty sure we won't fail when the consequences are higher than the payback.  Feel free to check but aside from a a few questionable fair catches he has done his job.

Many larger fish to fry.  When you scout the next Deion Sanders we're all ears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, infantsam said:

Can we look at PR/KR screw ups prior to him?  Add a few 3rd down catches when Ben was there.

It's not great but it's 4-6 plays each game where we are pretty sure we won't fail when the consequences are higher than the payback.  Feel free to check but aside from a a few questionable fair catches he has done his job.

Many larger fish to fry.  When you scout the next Deion Sanders we're all ears.

This one immediately comes to mind:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/29/18035980/steelers-ryan-switzer-admits-he-did-not-know-the-rules-regarding-free-kicks-after-a-safety-nfl-news

Come on, if all your looking for from a return man is to not screw up catching the ball you are setting the bar incredibly low.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Thanks for the heads up. Edmunds  could see some time if his rib injury isn't too bad. On Twitter, I saw that the coaches thought Edmunds could've scored on the GL carry if he read the play better. Maybe he's a physical specimen without good RB skills. He hardly played in college. 

oh he definitely could have scored. Decastro was pulling around the left end and I don't think there was a defender there at all

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

do they not have someone on the roster that can return kicks and punts? There has to be someone

ETA - De'Anthony Thomas was a FA up until earlier this week .I would rather have someone like that.

Edited by JoeSteeler

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

oh he definitely could have scored. Decastro was pulling around the left end and I don't think there was a defender there at all

Now Edmunds is a non-participant and Conners is a participant at practice. I have Conners and used a throwaway pick on Edmunds. I think Snell is the better handcuff for Conners owners who don't have Jaylen, if he can return in 2 to 3 weeks.

7 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

This one immediately comes to mind:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/29/18035980/steelers-ryan-switzer-admits-he-did-not-know-the-rules-regarding-free-kicks-after-a-safety-nfl-news

Come on, if all your looking for from a return man is to not screw up catching the ball you are setting the bar incredibly low.

That was not great for sure :)

It is a low bar but I seem to recall that punts and kickoff's were an ongoing disaster for a bit there.  I'm not saying he's good - but let's make sure we get better before cutting him.

Watching the Raider/Charger game, kinda cheering the Raiders as the 3rd quarter is almost over... then I realized Oak at 4-4 and LAC at 4-5 and we beat the Chargers.  Then it dawned on me we want the Chargers to win.  😡  Go Chargers!  🤬

10 hours ago, Choke said:

Watching the Raider/Charger game, kinda cheering the Raiders as the 3rd quarter is almost over... then I realized Oak at 4-4 and LAC at 4-5 and we beat the Chargers.  Then it dawned on me we want the Chargers to win.  😡  Go Chargers!  🤬

It didn't work out too well for us.  The Raiders have a nice schedule the rest of the way too.  Barring injury if they don't screw up they're going to be a wildcard

30 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

It didn't work out too well for us.  The Raiders have a nice schedule the rest of the way too.  Barring injury if they don't screw up they're going to be a wildcard

I think the Raiders and Steelers have great chances to be the Wild Card teams. This Sunday vs. the Rams is a big one though. Also big is the Bills at Cleveland, if the Browns can do you a favor and knock off what I think is a very suspect Buffalo team.

Buffalo better beat Cleveland and Denver the next 2 weeks, because they are looking at a potential 4-game losing streak starting in Week 13 when they have @DAL, BAL, @PIT and @NE. If they don't win the next 2 to reach 9-2 before they start that stretch, they might be in trouble to make the playoffs. The Week 15 Bills-Steelers game should have huge playoff implications. 

• Like 1

Conner, Foster, Snell, Rosie Nix all out this week against the Rams.  

JuJu limited.   Listed as questionable.

Trey Edmunds, Barron, Switz, McDonald, Pouncey and Alualu all were full particpants.

20 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Trey Edmunds, Barron, Switz, McDonald, Pouncey and Alualu all were full particpants.

Thanks for the update. I *might* have to start Trey as a bye week filler. I know he left a potential TD on the field last week.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:37 PM, Godsbrother said:

Thank god Switz is OK. 

• Laughing 1

I wish we would see Hodges. 

I don't think I can think of a non rookie QB who has looked anywhere near as clueless as Rudolph who ever improved to the level of competent NFL starter. 

I can think of countless examples of people saying oh just wait, this QB will get better in time, and zero examples of it actually happening.  Im sure there are some, I just can't recall who they are.  No current NFL starter by my estimation. 

Usually QBs who become something come out and show flashes, like Hodges did, and then struggle as defenses adjust.  Rudolph has OK stats because defenses allow him to dump off 95 percent of his throws, but he looks awful. 

Any thoughts On what to expect out of D Johnson today? I expected a big game last week, but they didn't even look his way all game. I am thinking he might draw Ramsey a lot today.

The defense is just smoking hot.  🔥🔥🔥

The only real loss was to the Pats. A healthy Ben and this team is a super bowl contender. 

gotta love having a young core getting experience. Just wish we could run the ball better and that JuJu would show up more. 

4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

A healthy Ben and this team is a super bowl contender. 

I just said this to my wife 10 minutes ago.  Hopefully the defense can continue this level of play next year, Ben comes back healthy, and the online isn't too old by then.

4 minutes ago, Steeler said:

and the online isn't too old by then.

Everyone under contract for next year.  RTs Feiler and Banner are RFAs.

1 minute ago, GROOT said:

was ben put on IR?

yes

Anyone still going to tell me I should give Switzer a break after that "PR in Reverse" today?  Get that dude gone already.

GREAT game by the D.  Minkah and Haden both playing fantastic right now.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

18 minutes ago, Steeler said:

I just said this to my wife 10 minutes ago.  Hopefully the defense can continue this level of play next year, Ben comes back healthy, and the online isn't too old by then.

If Ben was healthy and they beat Seattle, would they have traded for Fitzpatrick?

The Fitzpatrick trade was so good for the Steelers and was roundly trashes even by their own fans when it happened. He is an elite defensive player and who has proven to be elite. 

• Like 2

I think we can put the Minkah arguement to rest.

But 3 obvious bad play calls.

Play action from the 5 when you know they are blitzing was awful.  Luckily punting from the 20 instead of the back line or giving up 7 worked out.

Inside handoff on 2nd and 12.....Again when we know they are blitzing.  That’s a guaranteed 3rd and long.

And we pass rushed again when they finally started running the ball and Gurley gashed us.  We have to cover the hole that Watt leaves.

The defense is really good and seemingly getting better.

• Like 2

Obviously a great defensive effort .This is the best Steelers defense in a quite a while.

Rudolph is still a work in progress but I think he played a pretty good game. Certainly not perfect but pretty good considering he didn’t have much of a running game and was a victim of a few drops.

I know that Tomlin isn’t going to get any love from Steelers fans but he’s got this team playing pretty well considering the injuries the team has been dealing with 

44 minutes ago, PennStater77 said:

If Ben was healthy and they beat Seattle, would they have traded for Fitzpatrick?

I think they still would have inquired and been willing to trade for him, but maybe the Dolphins would have traded him somewhere else (assuming they traded with the Steelers because the Dolphins thought the Steelers were going to have a bad record because they lost Ben).

48 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Obviously a great defensive effort .This is the best Steelers defense in a quite a while.

Rudolph is still a work in progress but I think he played a pretty good game. Certainly not perfect but pretty good considering he didn’t have much of a running game and was a victim of a few drops.

I know that Tomlin isn’t going to get any love from Steelers fans but he’s got this team playing pretty well considering the injuries the team has been dealing with 

I'm coming around on Tomlin a little.  He's dealing with a young QB who appears to be a major step down in talent from a hall of fame QB and he has done a very good job of letting the guy just manage the game.  He understands that the defense is going to win them the games this year.  My only questionable call today is going for it on 4th on 1 from their own 30ish up by 2 in the 4th quarter (given how dominant the defense had been all day).  Then to call a play from the shotgun?    It worked though so what do I know?

This team is smoking hot right now but unfortunately so is Baltimore.  They have a strangle hold on the division now.  I think with the way this defense is playing and Tomlin and Fichtner putting Rudolph in low risk situations, this team should still make the playoffs as a wildcard.  I can't believe I'm even saying that given the start to the season.  So happy to be proven wrong.     

Edited by fred_1_15301

Not sure it is true but I heard on the drive back from the game that the Steelers are currently the #6 team if the playoffs were today 

7 games left in the season (5 road and 2 home).  I think they'll be favored in all of them (Baltimore road game is week 17 where they'll likely be resting starters).  They should be able to get to 10 wins which will secure a playoff berth.  Buffalo still has road games in NE, Dallas and Pittsburgh and a home game against Baltimore.  The 2 wildcards should be Oakland and Pittsburgh.  

Edited by fred_1_15301

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Not sure it is true but I heard on the drive back from the game that the Steelers are currently the #6 team if the playoffs were today 

3 way tie for 2nd wildcard (with Indy and Oakland) and Steelers have the best conference record of the 3 teams.  They would be the 6 seed as of today!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:35 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Is Rudolph really that much worse than Goff?  Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but still this is a very winnable game.

:oldunsure:

Switzer better not be on the team next week. I think his punt flub leading to a safety finally sealed his fate. I get it, he’s a nice guy and he’s been through a lot... you still gotta play.