Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Recommended Posts

Again I don't get the love for Hodges.  He threw for 1 TD, 1 interception and 130+ yards in his one and only start and 80 of it went to his RBs.    The Steelers have problems at QB for sure but no one is going to do anything with the hodge podge (no pun intended) WRs, no competent healthy RB and an offensive line that is playing like crap.   They need to fix those first...

Edited by Godsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudolph looks bad, slow to process reads, slow feet in the pocket. The team's upside was always going to be capped with him this year but he's worse than I expected. However I'd trust the coaches on not elevating The Duck. They've seen this kid from Day 1 and thought enough of him that they released him and watched while he went unclaimed. He really didn't do much in the Chargers win. QB has been a problem but more concerning to me is the OL and run game. The offense's best chance for success when Ben went down was the run game but Conner can't stay healthy and the OL appears to have aged quickly or really misses Munchak. Hopefully JuJu and Deionte Johnson return in 10 days and the O can at least score 20-24 most weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Rudolph had an over 90 passer rating and an almost 3-1 TD-INT ratio before last night, in which his top 3 weapons all got injured. It was Rudolph's 6th start, he's going to have some awful games, almost every young QB who isn't Mahomes does.  Hell, Roethlisberger still occasionally had those games.

Rudolph is the best QB on the roster right now but he is never going to be elite.  Rudolph should continue to start this year but the Steelers don't need to waste time with non-elite QBs -  we saw how that worked out all those years between Bradshaw and Ben.  Now, I know getting the next franchise QB isn't straightforward, but Rudolph isn't it.  I hope Ben comes back next year healthy and they sign a veteran backup to be #2 in case Ben gets hurt.  The defense is good enough to win a super bowl as long as it doesn't have to carry the offense so much.  Questions exist now at oline, RB and WR for next year so they need to make sure the QB position is "super bowl" caliber as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Again I don't get the love for Hodges.  He threw for 1 TD, 1 interception and 130+ yards in his one and only start and 80 of it went to his RBs.    The Steelers have problems at QB for sure but no one is going to do anything with the hodge podge (no pun intended) WRs, no competent healthy RB and an offensive line that is playing like crap.   They need to fix those first...

I think the love is because he just looks like a rookie, as opposed to complete dog doodoo. 

Edited by kittenmittens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, infantsam said:

The inaccurate throws are tough to take though.  He’s not getting anything on the ball and it’s behind way too much.  Looks like he’s late/afraid to step into it.  Then when he does he misses bad overthrowing.

 

 

+1

15 hours ago, Blick said:

The veteran, multi-Pro Bowl, offensive line should be the strength of this team. They’re playing like garbage. 

++1

10 hours ago, LawFitz said:

My concern for the Steelers is that Big Ben was already talking retirement the last few years and now has a major throwing elbow injury, at what, 38 yrs old? Finding capable starting NFL QBs isn't easy. I'd like to see this team steal one (pun!) so that the prime of this defense isn't wasted. Maybe Kaep could be that guy. Why not kick the tires and then move into the offseason with a potential asset, or a complete restart at the position (assuming Ben is done)?

+++1
 

Not saying I think Kaep is necessarily "elite", but it costs them nothing to go check out and see what shakes out after the workout.  If it winds up Ben has played his last NFL down, at least they'd have more options to bridge to whatever comes next other than just "Rudolph/Hodges or Bust!"  I highly doubt the Steelers will touch him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They just signed practice squad guys instead of Eli Rogers or CJ. They trying to get Mason killed??

They signed Deon Cain? Nice, I think he has some ability and upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

+1

++1

+++1
 

Not saying I think Kaep is necessarily "elite", but it costs them nothing to go check out and see what shakes out after the workout.  If it winds up Ben has played his last NFL down, at least they'd have more options to bridge to whatever comes next other than just "Rudolph/Hodges or Bust!"  I highly doubt the Steelers will touch him though.

I would quit watching if they signed that clown. They aren't going anywhere so what's the point. He would probably get sh@@ thrown at him if he was on the sidelines.  No one wants this jerk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was originally against signing Kaep, then reconsidered when the team was 5-4, and the needle moved more towards signing him after the CLE game because the defense played good enough to win, the offense gave them zero change to win.  However, I am fully against signing this guy after him not show up for his NFL orchestrated workout and the defiant statements he made after his "private" workout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the playoff outlook took a slight hit after this weekend.    :sadbanana:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Rudolph, what do you expect? He was playing with an all rookie offense at RB/WR'S

14 hours ago, Steeler said:

I was originally against signing Kaep, then reconsidered when the team was 5-4, and the needle moved more towards signing him after the CLE game because the defense played good enough to win, the offense gave them zero change to win.  However, I am fully against signing this guy after him not show up for his NFL orchestrated workout and the defiant statements he made after his "private" workout.

After Antonio Brown debacle, let's not bring any more cancer to the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, SoBeDad said:

Trade for Fitzpatrick. Insurance in case Ben doesn't return in 2020.

Not a bad idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading for 2 Fitzpatricks in one season would be kind of cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GROOT said:

As for Rudolph, what do you expect? He was playing with an all rookie offense at RB/WR'S

A better performance than he provided.  But it doesn't matter because the Steelers aren't going to sign Kaep after the stunt he pulled and his comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thought of bring Kaep in here to save this season is silly IMO.    I don't see how a guy that hadn't played for 3 seasons with no idea of the offense is going to help when you have no running game, no WRs and an offensive line that was playing poorly and just lost their starting center for the next three weeks.  Blame it all on Rudolph if you like but Tom Brady would have problems doing much with this offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 8:22 PM, kittenmittens said:

Cecil, Bloom, and Waldman all agreed on the podcast that Rudolph looks absolutely horrible and it's time to see Hodges. 

 

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

So the playoff outlook took a slight hit after this weekend.    :sadbanana:

A big hit. And the game @Arizona is no longer an automatic win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

A big hit. And the game @Arizona is no longer an automatic win. 

With all of the injuries on offense the Bengals game is not an automatic win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

With all of the injuries on offense the Bengals game is not an automatic win.  

But with their defense, they should be in every game.  It's not tank mode yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoBeDad said:

But with their defense, they should be in every game.  It's not tank mode yet.

No but consider the Steelers might be faced with James Washington, Johnny Holton and Tevin Jones as their starting 3 WRs and likely no running game.   :cry:    

The defense has a better chance to score than the offense.    They should consider punting on 1st down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

No but consider the Steelers might be faced with James Washington, Johnny Holton and Tevin Jones as their starting 3 WRs and likely no running game.   :cry:    

The defense has a better chance to score than the offense.    They should consider punting on 1st down.

It’s going to be ugly.  The only saving grace is that they are facing the Bengals on long rest.  Should still have a decent shot at a win (although definitely no guarantee as you stated).  Can only hope that some of the key players on offense get a little healthy in a couple weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

But with their defense, they should be in every game.  It's not tank mode yet.

To what point?

They've got zero winning talent at the offensive skill positions. Even Conner and Juju (when healthy) are support players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

Agreed.  Bloom had Mixon has a top 5 running back and Waldman convinced me to overdraft Darwin Thompson in a couple of leagues.  They have opinions, just like the rest of us, but they are no more valid than my own.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Copeman said:

So Terrelle Pryor wants to be on the Steelers.  I say sign him up.

And Eli Rogers who seemed to be liked inside and outside the locker room throughout the team and who knows the offense and has made some tough catches for us before. I assume we are missing a piece of information on him or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the team giving Brown the money instead of Wallace.  Maybe all along, they should have given it to that other receiver they had at the time.  Emmanuel Sanders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dizzy said:
1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

But with their defense, they should be in every game.  It's not tank mode yet.

To what point?

They've got zero winning talent at the offensive skill positions. Even Conner and Juju (when healthy) are support players.

If they don't turn the ball over and play 'safe' on offense the defense can and has won games for them.  Add, trading next year's 1st for Minka means their is absolutely no reason to take.  Why?  For a higher 2nd round pick?  Not happening.  The FO did something unprecedented in trading a future first, they want and  plan to win every game this year.

------

Harsh assessment on Connor and Juju.

James has produced when healthy all year with poor QB play.  Juju was overrating heading into this season IMHO but WR production is heavily dependent on QB play.  He did benefit from AB and getting 'softer' coverage with better QB play last year so I felt he was over rated by many heading into this year. 

No one saw Ben getting injured and what he's had to deal with at QB.

Few RBs or WRs can take over or bust open games so I'm not sure what standard you expect but if you think you lose an AB and just plug in the next guy to assume that sort of unique ability then no, not happening.  Connor and Juju are good nuff, the issue is QB and that is why I questioned the timing of the Minka trade.  Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He's got a year of eligibility left so I doubt he comes out.

So he can go back to college and risk further injury?

Get paid now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st

Even if the Steelers lose the rest of their games this season the Minkah trade was a smashing success for Pittsburgh.  There is no guarantee a first round QB would be the next franchise QB for the Steelers, but they have a guaranteed stud at safety for the rest of his career (presumably).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

The thought of bring Kaep in here to save this season is silly IMO.    I don't see how a guy that hadn't played for 3 seasons with no idea of the offense is going to help when you have no running game, no WRs and an offensive line that was playing poorly and just lost their starting center for the next three weeks.  Blame it all on Rudolph if you like but Tom Brady would have problems doing much with this offense.

Hmm...Brady is also playing with no running game, weak WRs (Juju is not dissimilar to Edelman except in experience), and a shaky O-line.  And both have a stout defense.

Somehow the Patroits are 9-1 and Pittsburgh is 5-5.  I think it’s fair to lay a lot of that blame on Rudolph.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steeler said:

Even if the Steelers lose the rest of their games this season the Minkah trade was a smashing success for Pittsburgh.  There is no guarantee a first round QB would be the next franchise QB for the Steelers, but they have a guaranteed stud at safety for the rest of his career (presumably).

He is but what happens going forward at QB?  Its not like you've got an older QB coming off injury who has mentioned retirement the past two off seasons.  

Like I said, I felt the timing was strange and still do.  Normally getting a safe-sure talent with a first round pick is wise but not under the current circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Hmm...Brady is also playing with no running game, weak WRs (Juju is not dissimilar to Edelman except in experience), and a shaky O-line.  And both have a stout defense.

Somehow the Patroits are 9-1 and Pittsburgh is 5-5.  I think it’s fair to lay a lot of that blame on Rudolph.

I think it's patently unfair to compare Rudolph to perhaps the greatest QB of all time.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

Sure, I wasn't appealing to authority, just commenting that the 2 of them are Steelers fans and agree that Rudolph is bad. 

I would argue that the Steelers coaches also agree that Rudolph is horrible. Look at their game planning, it's obvious.  They are doing their best with what they have.  Obviously they have seen more of Hodges than we have though, and he may not be the answer either. 

Edited by kittenmittens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

So he can go back to college and risk further injury?

Get paid now.

Agree. Willis McGahee sat out the 2003 NFL season after being drafted 23rd overall by Buffalo. He was injured in the Jan 2003 Fiesta Bowl,  his knee was bent backwards tearing ACL and MCL. He was expected to go top 5, a Barkley comp. By entering the draft, he gave up a potential $2.5 million insurance settlement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Hmm...Brady is also playing with no running game, weak WRs (Juju is not dissimilar to Edelman except in experience), and a shaky O-line.  And both have a stout defense.

Somehow the Patroits are 9-1 and Pittsburgh is 5-5.  I think it’s fair to lay a lot of that blame on Rudolph.

Sure Rudolph deserves blame but it you look at the "talent" on the field for the Steelers in the second half of the Browns game it looked like a preseason game roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Sure Rudolph deserves blame but it you look at the "talent" on the field for the Steelers in the second half of the Browns game it looked like a preseason game roster. 

He certainly wasn't helped by the losses of skill position players but do you think he is the long-term answer?  

15 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:
29 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

So he can go back to college and risk further injury?

Get paid now.

Agree. Willis McGahee sat out the 2003 NFL season after being drafted 23rd overall by Buffalo. He was injured in the Jan 2003 Fiesta Bowl,  his knee was bent backwards tearing ACL and MCL. He was expected to go top 5, a Barkley comp. By entering the draft, he gave up a potential $2.5 million insurance settlement. 

Hip dislocation with blood flow issues are the reason why they had to air lift him to 'limit' long term issues (arthritis which he 'probably suffer at least some as tissue dies when blood flow stops).  He was coming off his second surgery for high ankle injuries and wasn't completely healthy for the game where he suffered the hip injury so this will be his third surgery in less than two years. 

Willis fell  due to injury but was never the same player.  The hip is a career threatening injury for Tua Tagovailoa.   If Tua makes it back he's going to be scrutinized and picked apart but then you have to question three surgeries in less than two years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we definitely have a bottom 3 offense. I think we were ranked 28th coming into the Thursday night game before the injuries and suspension. I don't think Rudolph is any kind of answer for the team moving forward. I get that every QB has a terrible game every once in a while, but he just looks lost and doesn't know how to lead a receiver. 90% of his passes are to where a receiver was, instead of where he's going. The WRs are always turning back and fighting the trailing defender, instead of catching the ball in stride. There were a ton of dropped balls and that's not necessarily on him, but I don't think he'll ever be a reliable QB. Also, Fichtner has got to go. His play calling is inept and obvious in almost every situation. I'm hoping that Tomlin moves on at the end of the season at worst, but I don't think it will happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He is but what happens going forward at QB?  Its not like you've got an older QB coming off injury who has mentioned retirement the past two off seasons.  

Like I said, I felt the timing was strange and still do.  Normally getting a safe-sure talent with a first round pick is wise but not under the current circumstances.

We can agree to disagree then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

If they don't turn the ball over and play 'safe' on offense the defense can and has won games for them.  Add, trading next year's 1st for Minka means their is absolutely no reason to take.  Why?  For a higher 2nd round pick?  Not happening.  The FO did something unprecedented in trading a future first, they want and  plan to win every game this year.

------

Harsh assessment on Connor and Juju.

James has produced when healthy all year with poor QB play.  Juju was overrating heading into this season IMHO but WR production is heavily dependent on QB play.  He did benefit from AB and getting 'softer' coverage with better QB play last year so I felt he was over rated by many heading into this year. 

No one saw Ben getting injured and what he's had to deal with at QB.

Few RBs or WRs can take over or bust open games so I'm not sure what standard you expect but if you think you lose an AB and just plug in the next guy to assume that sort of unique ability then no, not happening.  Connor and Juju are good nuff, the issue is QB and that is why I questioned the timing of the Minka trade.  Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st.

I don't expect anything, other than a long run of mediocre results.

AB gone... Lev Bell gone... Ben hanging on by a thread... window closed.

How long before the next franchise QB drops in their lap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 13, Raiders-Chiefs moves to 4:25 and Browns-Steelers to 1 p.m. 49ers vs. Ravens is going to remain at 1 p.m.

Looks like Raiders-Chiefs will be the CBS national game, and Baltimore is the Fox national game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Sure Rudolph deserves blame but it you look at the "talent" on the field for the Steelers in the second half of the Browns game it looked like a preseason game roster. 

Week 4 of preseason even. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Week 4 of preseason even. 

Exactly.  Unfortunately there is no Calvary coming in to save them.  There is no QB on the roster or an available FA that is going to make this offense any good.

The best you can hope for is a healthy Conner, JuJu and Dionte Johnson to return and even when they do the offense is marginal.

This team is only going as far as the defense can take them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Exactly.  Unfortunately there is no Calvary coming in to save them.  There is no QB on the roster or an available FA that is going to make this offense any good.

The best you can hope for is a healthy Conner, JuJu and Dionte Johnson to return and even when they do the offense is marginal.

This team is only going as far as the defense can take them

 

I can't even imagine the most optimistic Steelers fan would think that this team is a playoff contender (let alone a super bowl contender).  It's a shame because this is the year where if the Steelers were fully healthy (assuming they still make the Minkah trade with Ben healthy) they could legitimately be the favorites in the AFC.  But they have way too many injuries to compete at this point.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I can't even imagine the most optimistic Steelers fan would think that this team is a playoff contender (let alone a super bowl contender).  It's a shame because this is the year where if the Steelers were fully healthy (assuming they still make the Minkah trade with Ben healthy) they could legitimately be the favorites in the AFC.  But they have way too many injuries to compete at this point.  

Agreed.   A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks and I am at the point where I just want the team to stay in the hunt.   Aside from Baltimore, their remaining schedule does not look daunting but at the same time none of them are certain wins,  starting this week against the Bengals.   

As you said it is a shame because this is the best defense they have had for a long time.  If this team had the offense they had last season they would be one of the favorites but if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle...

Edited by Godsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He [Rudolph] certainly wasn't helped by the losses of skill position players but do you think he is the long-term answer?  

 

Not from what I've seen.  I think he could develop into a decent backup but the jury is out even on that.     

What I do think is that he has been victimized by an almost non-existent running game, an offensive line whose pass protection has been suspect, and receivers that have had problems getting open and holding on to the ball.  Fans that think Duck is going to fix those problems are kidding themselves.

Edited by Godsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

Not from what I've seen.  I think he could develop into a decent backup but the jury is out even on that.     

What I do think is that he has been victimized by an almost non-existent running game, an offensive line whose pass protection has been suspect, and receivers that have had problems getting open and holding on to the ball.  Fans that think Duck is going to fix those problems are kidding themselves.

I wasn't sold on him when he was drafted and don't have a positive outcome for him.

No clue on Duck but low upside would be likely.

Ben's clock is ticking.  Minka trade looks good in a vacuum but when you consider what the offense looks like without a viable QB... this is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

 

Ben's clock is ticking.  Minka trade looks good in a vacuum but when you consider what the offense looks like without a viable QB... this is it.

I am okay with it ticking, I just hope it hasn't stopped.   Ben has 40 million reasons to return and play out his contract but you just don't know how that elbow is going to hold up and whether or not he still has the desire after sitting out a year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.