Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

28 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

In all seriousness, how can you even say that "Rudolph is okay"?  He looks to be below average in just about every single trait that you would judge a QB by.  

He looks perfectly fine with a full roster of players with him.  I mean an "okay" QB beats the Rams and Colts.  An "okay" QB can lead you to 8-8.   An "okay" QB also looks like crap when the talent around him are more suited for the 4th preseason game.  An "okay" QB also would get slaughtered in the playoffs.  That is why he isn't the future

I know one trait I like.  He didn't take any #### from Garrett on that cheap shot

I would be stunned if Pouncey is playing the rest of the season.  His history is not on his side 

Edited by hammerva

Man imagine if James Harrison was playing tonight.  They would have need a swat team to get Garrett off the field

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

He looks perfectly fine with a full roster of players with him.  I mean an "okay" QB beats the Rams and Colts.  An "okay" QB can lead you to 8-8.   An "okay" QB also looks like crap when the talent around him are more suited for the 4th preseason game.  An "okay" QB also would get slaughtered in the playoffs.  That is why he isn't the future

I know one trait I like.  He didn't take any #### from Garrett on that cheap shot

I would be stunned if Pouncey is playing the rest of the season.  His history is not on his side 

I hope Pouncey sees zero punishment. He was defending his QB, which is highly encouraged. Maybe a fine, so they can say he went too far, but a suspension for the rest of the season seems asinine, unless Garrett is banned for life, and Ogunjobi gets 6-plus games. I'd bet 2-4 games for Pouncey based on history though.

The people calling for Hodges are nuts. Other than Mahomes and Watson, 2 Franchise guys, I can't see any young QB doing much with poor pass blocking(didn't see that coming) and his top 3 weapons getting hurt. 

I've been mildly impressed by Rudolph this season, and while this game obviously sucked, he also had them on a nice winning streak before this week, and was avoiding turnovers. I think its still too early to make any judgement on Rudolph yet, especially after a game like this. I've seen a lot of young QB's, who turned out to be pretty good have games like this.

• Like 1

Would you rather have Rudolph or Trubisky? 

At least Ben will theoretically be back next year. 

I think Rudolph looks bad from what we see, and really bad from what we can infer of what the coaches see.  

Rudolph gets 6 more games to show something.  He’s 4-3 and he might have beaten Baltimore.

The inaccurate throws are tough to take though.  He’s not getting anything on the ball and it’s behind way too much.  Looks like he’s late/afraid to step into it.  Then when he does he misses bad overthrowing.

18 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Would you rather have Rudolph or Trubisky? 

Rudolph easily. Trubisky has a near perfect situation for a QB, good line, good running game, diverse pass catchers with a true #1, and a defense that ensures you are never down multiple scores, and he still sucks, and has for almost 3 years. Rudolph has what 6 starts? He's been as good as Trubisky, despite not having Conner for half of them.

I'm not sure there are many NFL QB's I wouldn't take over Trubisky. He's single handedly costing his team a playoff spot. The Bears are a better team than the Packers or Vikings in my opinion, outside of the QB position. Give them even an average QB, and they are basically San Fran.

Rudolph had an awful game, no doubt about that but the offensive line was atrocious and he had no weapons at the skill positions. it really had the feel of watching the second half of a preseason game.

As far as Garrett goes if he plays another down this season the NFL is a joke. I’ve never seen a player rip the helmet off a guy’s head and then hit him with it

Rudolph is trash. At least we know it now. When Ben is done it’s clear they have to invest in a rookie QB. Wish they still had Dobbs, at least he could run around while throwing INT’s and checking down every play.

Sorry but this idea that if Hodges or even Dobbs was playing this game they would have won without their best RB and best WR and a shaky offensive line is extremely hard to swallow.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The veteran, multi-Pro Bowl, offensive line should be the strength of this team. They’re playing like garbage. 

• Like 1

What a terrible game to watch. And the Browns were dirty and head hunting all night. They should investigate that coach ....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blick said:

The veteran, multi-Pro Bowl, offensive line should be the strength of this team. They’re playing like garbage. 

They miss Munchak. They played below average before he was here, then were the best in the league, and now struggling again. 

• Like 2

With all the injuries, Steelers need to:

1. Attend Kaepernick workout

2. Sign Eli Rogers who knows the offense and can work underneath. 

3. Sign CJ Anderson or Jay Adjai (sp?)

4  sign Skipper

• Like 3

Man the number of hot takes blaming Rudolph for starting this is something.  Granted he needs to explain why he was going after Garrett's helmet in the beginning but it is almost like they are trying anything to justify Garrett's actions.   all of this talk about Rudolph trying to kick him in the nuts is just silly.  He was trying to push him away

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

With all the injuries, Steelers need to:

1. Attend Kaepernick workout

2. Sign Eli Rogers who knows the offense and can work underneath. 

3. Sign CJ Anderson or Jay Adjai (sp?)

4  sign Skipper

#2 and #3 depend on how severe the injuries sustained last night were.    As I said earlier it really felt like we had a preseason team out there in the second half.

The Steelers need to find another RB.  See what's out there now for the rest of the year, find a trade or draft one in early rounds for future.  Connor isn't the answer.  I think his talent is fine, he just can't stay on the field.  That's too bad.  If Ben is back next year, they need to sign a top tier WR.  Ben won't have much time left, gotta get weapons for him while we can. Do not find one in the draft (for that purpose). Draft one or two late.  Start the rebuild of the OL.  It's becoming embarrassing.  Defense won't need much other than an OLB.  

15 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Pouncey getting 3 games for kicking is ridiculous. 

Given his prior history I expected 4.  While nothing like Garrett his reputation has taken some shots as well

Edited by hammerva

Just now, LawFitz said:

Why not sign Kaepernick, if his workout looks good?

well his workout should be good because he will be in shorts and a T shirt.   Unless he has completely lied to people and he looks like someone who has been eating chips all day long.  

If you sign him he is only going to be used for 3 or 4 weeks IF you decide to bench Hodges and Rudolph (I would like to keep both frankly).  He isn't going to be Ben's replacement.   Also the Steelers don't play a style fitting him.  Or at least any good if they have tried it. 

5 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Why not sign Kaepernick, if his workout looks good?

Reasons:

He hasn't played in 93 years. 

The Steelers have rid themselves of drama for the year, they aren't taking new applications yet.

Rudolph is fine for this year until Ben is back. His stats were fine up until last nights game.  

There are more.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copeman said:

Rudolph is fine for this year

Rudolph is not fine for this year. His decision making and execution are terrible. 

Just now, hammerva said:

well his workout should be good because he will be in shorts and a T shirt.   Unless he has completely lied to people and he looks like someone who has been eating chips all day long.  

If you sign him he is only going to be used for 3 or 4 weeks IF you decide to bench Hodges and Rudolph (I would like to keep both frankly).  He isn't going to be Ben's replacement.   Also the Steelers don't play a style fitting him.  Or at least any good if they have tried it. 

From what I saw last night, this team is going nowhere with Rudolph. It's a damn shame because I think their defense has elevated itself to NFL top 3, following the addition of magic Minkah. Hodges looks like a career backup to me, but I didn't watch him closely enough to have a good take, TBH.

My concern for the Steelers is that Big Ben was already talking retirement the last few years and now has a major throwing elbow injury, at what, 38 yrs old? Finding capable starting NFL QBs isn't easy. I'd like to see this team steal one (pun!) so that the prime of this defense isn't wasted. Maybe Kaep could be that guy. Why not kick the tires and then move into the offseason with a potential asset, or a complete restart at the position (assuming Ben is done)?

13 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Rudolph is not fine for this year. His decision making and execution are terrible. 

Who else are they going to find to come in for the last 6 games of the year that would do better?  Someone that's not on an NFL roster right now, someone to come in and learn the offense?  Who?  They don't need a game breaking QB, they need to find someone that can manage the game which he did well up until the last game(check his stats), while the defense keeps them in it.

Edited by Copeman

12 minutes ago, Copeman said:

Who else are they going to find to come in for the last 6 games of the year that would do better?  Someone that's not on an NFL roster right now, someone to come in and learn the offense?  Who?  They don't need a game breaking QB, they need to find someone that can manage the game which he did well up until the last game(check his stats), while the defense keeps them in it.

Why not see what Hodges can do? He held his own in his last start. Give him two games to see if prove himself. Mason has looked horrible at times.

5 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Why not see what Hodges can do? He held his own in his last start. Give him two games to see if prove himself. Mason has looked horrible at times.

Hodges's aDOT was Pop Warner against the Chargers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geneyus said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Two games isn't enough time to prove himself though.  

6 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Why not see what Hodges can do?

The only thing Hodges has going for him is that he is not M. Rudolph :lol:  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steeler said:

The only thing Hodges has going for him is that he is not M. Rudolph :lol:  

Isn't that enough? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geneyus said:

Rudolph had an over 90 passer rating and an almost 3-1 TD-INT ratio before last night, in which his top 3 weapons all got injured. It was Rudolph's 6th start, he's going to have some awful games, almost every young QB who isn't Mahomes does.  Hell, Roethlisberger still occasionally had those games.

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1

Again I don't get the love for Hodges.  He threw for 1 TD, 1 interception and 130+ yards in his one and only start and 80 of it went to his RBs.    The Steelers have problems at QB for sure but no one is going to do anything with the hodge podge (no pun intended) WRs, no competent healthy RB and an offensive line that is playing like crap.   They need to fix those first...

Edited by Godsbrother

Rudolph looks bad, slow to process reads, slow feet in the pocket. The team's upside was always going to be capped with him this year but he's worse than I expected. However I'd trust the coaches on not elevating The Duck. They've seen this kid from Day 1 and thought enough of him that they released him and watched while he went unclaimed. He really didn't do much in the Chargers win. QB has been a problem but more concerning to me is the OL and run game. The offense's best chance for success when Ben went down was the run game but Conner can't stay healthy and the OL appears to have aged quickly or really misses Munchak. Hopefully JuJu and Deionte Johnson return in 10 days and the O can at least score 20-24 most weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Rudolph had an over 90 passer rating and an almost 3-1 TD-INT ratio before last night, in which his top 3 weapons all got injured. It was Rudolph's 6th start, he's going to have some awful games, almost every young QB who isn't Mahomes does.  Hell, Roethlisberger still occasionally had those games.

Rudolph is the best QB on the roster right now but he is never going to be elite.  Rudolph should continue to start this year but the Steelers don't need to waste time with non-elite QBs -  we saw how that worked out all those years between Bradshaw and Ben.  Now, I know getting the next franchise QB isn't straightforward, but Rudolph isn't it.  I hope Ben comes back next year healthy and they sign a veteran backup to be #2 in case Ben gets hurt.  The defense is good enough to win a super bowl as long as it doesn't have to carry the offense so much.  Questions exist now at oline, RB and WR for next year so they need to make sure the QB position is "super bowl" caliber as well.

5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Again I don't get the love for Hodges.  He threw for 1 TD, 1 interception and 130+ yards in his one and only start and 80 of it went to his RBs.    The Steelers have problems at QB for sure but no one is going to do anything with the hodge podge (no pun intended) WRs, no competent healthy RB and an offensive line that is playing like crap.   They need to fix those first...

I think the love is because he just looks like a rookie, as opposed to complete dog doodoo. 

Edited by kittenmittens

22 hours ago, infantsam said:

The inaccurate throws are tough to take though.  He’s not getting anything on the ball and it’s behind way too much.  Looks like he’s late/afraid to step into it.  Then when he does he misses bad overthrowing.

+1

15 hours ago, Blick said:

++1

10 hours ago, LawFitz said:

My concern for the Steelers is that Big Ben was already talking retirement the last few years and now has a major throwing elbow injury, at what, 38 yrs old? Finding capable starting NFL QBs isn't easy. I'd like to see this team steal one (pun!) so that the prime of this defense isn't wasted. Maybe Kaep could be that guy. Why not kick the tires and then move into the offseason with a potential asset, or a complete restart at the position (assuming Ben is done)?

+++1

Not saying I think Kaep is necessarily "elite", but it costs them nothing to go check out and see what shakes out after the workout.  If it winds up Ben has played his last NFL down, at least they'd have more options to bridge to whatever comes next other than just "Rudolph/Hodges or Bust!"  I highly doubt the Steelers will touch him though.

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They just signed practice squad guys instead of Eli Rogers or CJ. They trying to get Mason killed??

They signed Deon Cain? Nice, I think he has some ability and upside.

21 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

+1

++1

+++1

Not saying I think Kaep is necessarily "elite", but it costs them nothing to go check out and see what shakes out after the workout.  If it winds up Ben has played his last NFL down, at least they'd have more options to bridge to whatever comes next other than just "Rudolph/Hodges or Bust!"  I highly doubt the Steelers will touch him though.

I would quit watching if they signed that clown. They aren't going anywhere so what's the point. He would probably get sh@@ thrown at him if he was on the sidelines.  No one wants this jerk.

I was originally against signing Kaep, then reconsidered when the team was 5-4, and the needle moved more towards signing him after the CLE game because the defense played good enough to win, the offense gave them zero change to win.  However, I am fully against signing this guy after him not show up for his NFL orchestrated workout and the defiant statements he made after his "private" workout.

So the playoff outlook took a slight hit after this weekend.    :sadbanana:

• Thanks 1

As for Rudolph, what do you expect? He was playing with an all rookie offense at RB/WR'S

14 hours ago, Steeler said:

I was originally against signing Kaep, then reconsidered when the team was 5-4, and the needle moved more towards signing him after the CLE game because the defense played good enough to win, the offense gave them zero change to win.  However, I am fully against signing this guy after him not show up for his NFL orchestrated workout and the defiant statements he made after his "private" workout.

After Antonio Brown debacle, let's not bring any more cancer to the team.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, SoBeDad said:

Trade for Fitzpatrick. Insurance in case Ben doesn't return in 2020.

Not a bad idea

Trading for 2 Fitzpatricks in one season would be kind of cool.

7 hours ago, GROOT said:

As for Rudolph, what do you expect? He was playing with an all rookie offense at RB/WR'S

A better performance than he provided.  But it doesn't matter because the Steelers aren't going to sign Kaep after the stunt he pulled and his comments.

The thought of bring Kaep in here to save this season is silly IMO.    I don't see how a guy that hadn't played for 3 seasons with no idea of the offense is going to help when you have no running game, no WRs and an offensive line that was playing poorly and just lost their starting center for the next three weeks.  Blame it all on Rudolph if you like but Tom Brady would have problems doing much with this offense.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:22 PM, kittenmittens said:

Cecil, Bloom, and Waldman all agreed on the podcast that Rudolph looks absolutely horrible and it's time to see Hodges. 

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

So the playoff outlook took a slight hit after this weekend.    :sadbanana:

A big hit. And the game @Arizona is no longer an automatic win.