Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

42 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

A big hit. And the game @Arizona is no longer an automatic win. 

With all of the injuries on offense the Bengals game is not an automatic win.  

4 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

With all of the injuries on offense the Bengals game is not an automatic win.  

But with their defense, they should be in every game.  It's not tank mode yet.

1 minute ago, SoBeDad said:

No but consider the Steelers might be faced with James Washington, Johnny Holton and Tevin Jones as their starting 3 WRs and likely no running game.   :cry:    

The defense has a better chance to score than the offense.    They should consider punting on 1st down.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

No but consider the Steelers might be faced with James Washington, Johnny Holton and Tevin Jones as their starting 3 WRs and likely no running game.   :cry:    

The defense has a better chance to score than the offense.    They should consider punting on 1st down.

It’s going to be ugly.  The only saving grace is that they are facing the Bengals on long rest.  Should still have a decent shot at a win (although definitely no guarantee as you stated).  Can only hope that some of the key players on offense get a little healthy in a couple weeks.  

32 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

To what point?

They've got zero winning talent at the offensive skill positions. Even Conner and Juju (when healthy) are support players.

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

Agreed.  Bloom had Mixon has a top 5 running back and Waldman convinced me to overdraft Darwin Thompson in a couple of leagues.  They have opinions, just like the rest of us, but they are no more valid than my own.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Copeman said:

So Terrelle Pryor wants to be on the Steelers.  I say sign him up.

And Eli Rogers who seemed to be liked inside and outside the locker room throughout the team and who knows the offense and has made some tough catches for us before. I assume we are missing a piece of information on him or something. 

I remember the team giving Brown the money instead of Wallace.  Maybe all along, they should have given it to that other receiver they had at the time.  Emmanuel Sanders.

59 minutes ago, Dizzy said:
1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

To what point?

They've got zero winning talent at the offensive skill positions. Even Conner and Juju (when healthy) are support players.

If they don't turn the ball over and play 'safe' on offense the defense can and has won games for them.  Add, trading next year's 1st for Minka means their is absolutely no reason to take.  Why?  For a higher 2nd round pick?  Not happening.  The FO did something unprecedented in trading a future first, they want and  plan to win every game this year.

------

Harsh assessment on Connor and Juju.

James has produced when healthy all year with poor QB play.  Juju was overrating heading into this season IMHO but WR production is heavily dependent on QB play.  He did benefit from AB and getting 'softer' coverage with better QB play last year so I felt he was over rated by many heading into this year. 

No one saw Ben getting injured and what he's had to deal with at QB.

Few RBs or WRs can take over or bust open games so I'm not sure what standard you expect but if you think you lose an AB and just plug in the next guy to assume that sort of unique ability then no, not happening.  Connor and Juju are good nuff, the issue is QB and that is why I questioned the timing of the Minka trade.  Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st.

1 minute ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He's got a year of eligibility left so I doubt he comes out.

So he can go back to college and risk further injury?

Get paid now.

5 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st

Even if the Steelers lose the rest of their games this season the Minkah trade was a smashing success for Pittsburgh.  There is no guarantee a first round QB would be the next franchise QB for the Steelers, but they have a guaranteed stud at safety for the rest of his career (presumably).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

The thought of bring Kaep in here to save this season is silly IMO.    I don't see how a guy that hadn't played for 3 seasons with no idea of the offense is going to help when you have no running game, no WRs and an offensive line that was playing poorly and just lost their starting center for the next three weeks.  Blame it all on Rudolph if you like but Tom Brady would have problems doing much with this offense.

Hmm...Brady is also playing with no running game, weak WRs (Juju is not dissimilar to Edelman except in experience), and a shaky O-line.  And both have a stout defense.

Somehow the Patroits are 9-1 and Pittsburgh is 5-5.  I think it’s fair to lay a lot of that blame on Rudolph.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Steeler said:

Even if the Steelers lose the rest of their games this season the Minkah trade was a smashing success for Pittsburgh.  There is no guarantee a first round QB would be the next franchise QB for the Steelers, but they have a guaranteed stud at safety for the rest of his career (presumably).

He is but what happens going forward at QB?  Its not like you've got an older QB coming off injury who has mentioned retirement the past two off seasons.  

Like I said, I felt the timing was strange and still do.  Normally getting a safe-sure talent with a first round pick is wise but not under the current circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Hmm...Brady is also playing with no running game, weak WRs (Juju is not dissimilar to Edelman except in experience), and a shaky O-line.  And both have a stout defense.

Somehow the Patroits are 9-1 and Pittsburgh is 5-5.  I think it’s fair to lay a lot of that blame on Rudolph.

I think it's patently unfair to compare Rudolph to perhaps the greatest QB of all time.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

No offense but their opinions aren't any more valuable than ours and certainly less than an NFL coaching staff that see these guys in practice every day.

Sure, I wasn't appealing to authority, just commenting that the 2 of them are Steelers fans and agree that Rudolph is bad. 

I would argue that the Steelers coaches also agree that Rudolph is horrible. Look at their game planning, it's obvious.  They are doing their best with what they have.  Obviously they have seen more of Hodges than we have though, and he may not be the answer either. 

Edited by kittenmittens

7 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Get paid now.

Agree. Willis McGahee sat out the 2003 NFL season after being drafted 23rd overall by Buffalo. He was injured in the Jan 2003 Fiesta Bowl,  his knee was bent backwards tearing ACL and MCL. He was expected to go top 5, a Barkley comp. By entering the draft, he gave up a potential $2.5 million insurance settlement. 

13 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Sure Rudolph deserves blame but it you look at the "talent" on the field for the Steelers in the second half of the Browns game it looked like a preseason game roster. 

6 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Sure Rudolph deserves blame but it you look at the "talent" on the field for the Steelers in the second half of the Browns game it looked like a preseason game roster. 

He certainly wasn't helped by the losses of skill position players but do you think he is the long-term answer?  

15 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:
29 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Get paid now.

Agree. Willis McGahee sat out the 2003 NFL season after being drafted 23rd overall by Buffalo. He was injured in the Jan 2003 Fiesta Bowl,  his knee was bent backwards tearing ACL and MCL. He was expected to go top 5, a Barkley comp. By entering the draft, he gave up a potential $2.5 million insurance settlement. 

Hip dislocation with blood flow issues are the reason why they had to air lift him to 'limit' long term issues (arthritis which he 'probably suffer at least some as tissue dies when blood flow stops).  He was coming off his second surgery for high ankle injuries and wasn't completely healthy for the game where he suffered the hip injury so this will be his third surgery in less than two years. 

Willis fell  due to injury but was never the same player.  The hip is a career threatening injury for Tua Tagovailoa.   If Tua makes it back he's going to be scrutinized and picked apart but then you have to question three surgeries in less than two years?

Well, we definitely have a bottom 3 offense. I think we were ranked 28th coming into the Thursday night game before the injuries and suspension. I don't think Rudolph is any kind of answer for the team moving forward. I get that every QB has a terrible game every once in a while, but he just looks lost and doesn't know how to lead a receiver. 90% of his passes are to where a receiver was, instead of where he's going. The WRs are always turning back and fighting the trailing defender, instead of catching the ball in stride. There were a ton of dropped balls and that's not necessarily on him, but I don't think he'll ever be a reliable QB. Also, Fichtner has got to go. His play calling is inept and obvious in almost every situation. I'm hoping that Tomlin moves on at the end of the season at worst, but I don't think it will happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He is but what happens going forward at QB?  Its not like you've got an older QB coming off injury who has mentioned retirement the past two off seasons.  

Like I said, I felt the timing was strange and still do.  Normally getting a safe-sure talent with a first round pick is wise but not under the current circumstances.

We can agree to disagree then.

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

If they don't turn the ball over and play 'safe' on offense the defense can and has won games for them.  Add, trading next year's 1st for Minka means their is absolutely no reason to take.  Why?  For a higher 2nd round pick?  Not happening.  The FO did something unprecedented in trading a future first, they want and  plan to win every game this year.

------

Harsh assessment on Connor and Juju.

James has produced when healthy all year with poor QB play.  Juju was overrating heading into this season IMHO but WR production is heavily dependent on QB play.  He did benefit from AB and getting 'softer' coverage with better QB play last year so I felt he was over rated by many heading into this year. 

No one saw Ben getting injured and what he's had to deal with at QB.

Few RBs or WRs can take over or bust open games so I'm not sure what standard you expect but if you think you lose an AB and just plug in the next guy to assume that sort of unique ability then no, not happening.  Connor and Juju are good nuff, the issue is QB and that is why I questioned the timing of the Minka trade.  Sure he's a defensive stud but a QB has far more impact and that is the 500 lb gorilla facing the Steelers going forward and they don't have next year's 1st.

I don't expect anything, other than a long run of mediocre results.

AB gone... Lev Bell gone... Ben hanging on by a thread... window closed.

How long before the next franchise QB drops in their lap?

Week 13, Raiders-Chiefs moves to 4:25 and Browns-Steelers to 1 p.m. 49ers vs. Ravens is going to remain at 1 p.m.

Looks like Raiders-Chiefs will be the CBS national game, and Baltimore is the Fox national game.

5 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Week 4 of preseason even. 

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Week 4 of preseason even. 

Exactly.  Unfortunately there is no Calvary coming in to save them.  There is no QB on the roster or an available FA that is going to make this offense any good.

The best you can hope for is a healthy Conner, JuJu and Dionte Johnson to return and even when they do the offense is marginal.

This team is only going as far as the defense can take them

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Exactly.  Unfortunately there is no Calvary coming in to save them.  There is no QB on the roster or an available FA that is going to make this offense any good.

The best you can hope for is a healthy Conner, JuJu and Dionte Johnson to return and even when they do the offense is marginal.

This team is only going as far as the defense can take them

I can't even imagine the most optimistic Steelers fan would think that this team is a playoff contender (let alone a super bowl contender).  It's a shame because this is the year where if the Steelers were fully healthy (assuming they still make the Minkah trade with Ben healthy) they could legitimately be the favorites in the AFC.  But they have way too many injuries to compete at this point.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I can't even imagine the most optimistic Steelers fan would think that this team is a playoff contender (let alone a super bowl contender).  It's a shame because this is the year where if the Steelers were fully healthy (assuming they still make the Minkah trade with Ben healthy) they could legitimately be the favorites in the AFC.  But they have way too many injuries to compete at this point.  

Agreed.   A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks and I am at the point where I just want the team to stay in the hunt.   Aside from Baltimore, their remaining schedule does not look daunting but at the same time none of them are certain wins,  starting this week against the Bengals.   

As you said it is a shame because this is the best defense they have had for a long time.  If this team had the offense they had last season they would be one of the favorites but if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle...

Edited by Godsbrother

20 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He [Rudolph] certainly wasn't helped by the losses of skill position players but do you think he is the long-term answer?  

Not from what I've seen.  I think he could develop into a decent backup but the jury is out even on that.     

What I do think is that he has been victimized by an almost non-existent running game, an offensive line whose pass protection has been suspect, and receivers that have had problems getting open and holding on to the ball.  Fans that think Duck is going to fix those problems are kidding themselves.

Edited by Godsbrother

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

Not from what I've seen.  I think he could develop into a decent backup but the jury is out even on that.     

What I do think is that he has been victimized by an almost non-existent running game, an offensive line whose pass protection has been suspect, and receivers that have had problems getting open and holding on to the ball.  Fans that think Duck is going to fix those problems are kidding themselves.

I wasn't sold on him when he was drafted and don't have a positive outcome for him.

No clue on Duck but low upside would be likely.

Ben's clock is ticking.  Minka trade looks good in a vacuum but when you consider what the offense looks like without a viable QB... this is it.

17 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Ben's clock is ticking.  Minka trade looks good in a vacuum but when you consider what the offense looks like without a viable QB... this is it.

I am okay with it ticking, I just hope it hasn't stopped.   Ben has 40 million reasons to return and play out his contract but you just don't know how that elbow is going to hold up and whether or not he still has the desire after sitting out a year.  

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

I am okay with it ticking, I just hope it hasn't stopped.   Ben has 40 million reasons to return and play out his contract but you just don't know how that elbow is going to hold up and whether or not he still has the desire after sitting out a year.  

I think he is definitely coming back and I'd guess he'll play good for at least two more years but he's had some dings so I imagine he will suffer a few dings over that time. 

Their is a window but Baltimore seems set to dominate for a long time with the center piece firmly in place at QB and they get a rookie contract to build up the supporting cast.

4 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I think he is definitely coming back and I'd guess he'll play good for at least two more years but he's had some dings so I imagine he will suffer a few dings over that time. 

Their is a window but Baltimore seems set to dominate for a long time with the center piece firmly in place at QB and they get a rookie contract to build up the supporting cast.

If Ben comes back and can be effective for 1-2 seasons, they still need a legit #1 WR and a RB with a RB body... go get AJ Green and Kenyan Drake in a "win now" scenario.

I like Juju, but he's a second banana. I like Conner, but don't believe he can withstand 16+ games of punishment.

1 minute ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Snell coming back soon? Could be helpful to go with Samuels if Conner is out.

Yes Tomlin said he should be back

16 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers sign Tuzar Skipper.   

Ola injury worse than expected?

This has been a busy year for micro-transactions. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Ola injury worse than expected?

This has been a busy year for micro-transactions. 

Hope not, I was hoping he'd be able to develop this year assuming we can't resign Dupree. 

At this point in the season, what do you guys see as our draft needs? I don't think we get our QB of the future unless Tua falls to the late 2nd (which won't happen). I think OL, WR, RB, CB, OLB.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Apparently Skipper deleted the tweet saying the Steelers signed him ....

Steelers have officially announced his signing

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Hope not, I was hoping he'd be able to develop this year assuming we can't resign Dupree. 

At this point in the season, what do you guys see as our draft needs? I don't think we get our QB of the future unless Tua falls to the late 2nd (which won't happen). I think OL, WR, RB, CB, OLB.

Agree with the needs you identified.  I think WR, RB, OL are the biggest.  And unless Rudolph shows more in the next 6 weeks I am definitely looking in FA for backup QB.  I don't believe in Duck or Paxton.

17 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Just saw that. So what is the current 53?  I cannot keep up!

Cain, Whyte, and Skipper are on the 53.   They have to be on the 53 for a minimum of three games because they were signed off other teams practice squads.

Pouncey will be moved to the reserve/suspended list opening a spot which I think will be filled by Patrick Morris from the practice squad.

Edited by moondog
typo

On 11/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, Godsbrother said:

Agree with the needs you identified.  I think WR, RB, OL are the biggest.  And unless Rudolph shows more in the next 6 weeks I am definitely looking in FA for backup QB.  I don't believe in Duck or Paxton.

There's about zero chance he'd be into it unless Ben announced his retirement, but Teddy Bridgewater would look pretty good in our version of Black and Gold.

3 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

There's about zero chance he'd be into it unless Ben announced his retirement, but Teddy Bridgewater would look pretty good in our version of Black and Gold.

What happens to the Steelers cap if Ben does decide to retire next year?  Anyone know?

On 11/19/2019 at 2:03 PM, steelers1080 said:

I'd be surprised if QB was even addressed this offseason. I think the solution will simply be healthy Roethlisberger. His contract pretty much prevents anything else. Rudolph will likely stick as the #2, as he's cheap, and has some more experience. Hopefully he performs a little better down the stretch.

I think standing pat at RB is probably the right call. Conner has been solid when healthy, and Samuels/Snell are capable backups. They've had some bad injury luck, but I can't see investing anything above a late pick there.

WR feels like a bigger need. JuJu hasn't looked like a true #1, and Washington and Johnson look more like role players. 

TE could be addressed. Vance McDonald just seems like a part time player, and was probably in his ideal role, when he was splitting snaps with James. 

OT seems fine to me. Villanueva is still solid, and Feiler looks like a keeper. The interior could use another body or two, Foster is starting to look his age, and Pouncey could use a better backup, and possible heir apparent. 

The front seven is mostly in good shape, though ED is likely a need. I would hope they would let Dupree walk, this feels like a classic contract year push. 

CB is fine in my eyes. I expect Justin Layne to take a big step forward next season. Wouldn't surprise me if he challenged for a starting job. CB could be a bigger need if they decide Haden is no longer worth his contract. 

While Minkah Fitzpatrick probably wasn't worth what they gave up to get him, he is a very solid safety. I'm a little worried about Edmunds. That is shaping up to look like the bad pick most thought it was. I'd prefer to give him another year, but competition couldn't hurt.

If I were ranking by priority, I'd go:

1. Edge 2. Wide Receiver 3. Tight End 4. Guard 5. Center 6. Safety

Just now, travdogg said:

I'd be surprised if QB was even addressed this offseason. I think the solution will simply be healthy Roethlisberger. His contract pretty much prevents anything else. Rudolph will likely stick as the #2, as he's cheap, and has some more experience. Hopefully he performs a little better down the stretch.

I think standing pat at RB is probably the right call. Conner has been solid when healthy, and Samuels/Snell are capable backups. They've had some bad injury luck, but I can't see investing anything above a late pick there.

WR feels like a bigger need. JuJu hasn't looked like a true #1, and Washington and Johnson look more like role players

TE could be addressed. Vance McDonald just seems like a part time player, and was probably in his ideal role, when he was splitting snaps with James. 

OT seems fine to me. Villanueva is still solid, and Feiler looks like a keeper. The interior could use another body or two, Foster is starting to look his age, and Pouncey could use a better backup, and possible heir apparent. 

The front seven is mostly in good shape, though ED is likely a need. I would hope they would let Dupree walk, this feels like a classic contract year push. 

CB is fine in my eyes. I expect Justin Layne to take a big step forward next season. Wouldn't surprise me if he challenged for a starting job. CB could be a bigger need if they decide Haden is no longer worth his contract. 

While Minkah Fitzpatrick probably wasn't worth what they gave up to get him, he is a very solid safety. I'm a little worried about Edmunds. That is shaping up to look like the bad pick most thought it was. I'd prefer to give him another year, but competition couldn't hurt.

If I were ranking by priority, I'd go:

1. Edge 2. Wide Receiver 3. Tight End 4. Guard 5. Center 6. Safety

I agree that they should and probably will strengthen heir WR situation through the draft but Johnson looks like a potenial superstar to me, not a role player. He's so dynamic and skilled. He's already way ahead of schedule in terms of what I thought he'd do in his rookie year, and I think he's the perfect guy to have opposite JuJu. I'd argue he has more #1 potential than JuJu even. 

What’s your all’s opinions on Snell? Without Conner, they’ve been relying on Edmunds and Samuels, the latter of which has looked awful on the ground.

Think Snell steps into the lead role either this week or next?

On 11/18/2019 at 9:01 AM, fred_1_15301 said:

It’s going to be ugly.  The only saving grace is that they are facing the Bengals on long rest.  Should still have a decent shot at a win (although definitely no guarantee as you stated).  Can only hope that some of the key players on offense get a little healthy in a couple weeks.  

I'll be that guy, I think this week is a gimme. I'd be willing to use the Steelers in a survivor pool. The Bengals have no offense, or defense, and don't want to win. This game could be a shutout. Something like 23-3 is very realistic, possibly/probably with a defensive score. 

On 11/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, Copeman said:

I remember the team giving Brown the money instead of Wallace.  Maybe all along, they should have given it to that other receiver they had at the time.  Emmanuel Sanders.

What? However crappy the ending was, Antonio Brown had a 6 year stretch that was about as good as any WR in NFL history.