What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Reasons Mason Rudolph will start vs. the Browns last week:

1) Mike Tomlin is a moron.

End of list.
If Rudolph starts next week, it would be laughable. He really should be cut out right after the season,  better off picking  up a local high school player

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Hodges gets the start next week but that doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy for the matchup against Cleveland.  Cleveland has been playing better and on paper, they are a pretty talented team (definitely more so than the Steelers given the injuries).

I think Hodges gets the start next week but that doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy for the matchup against Cleveland.  Cleveland has been playing better and on paper, they are a pretty talented team (definitely more so than the Steelers given the injuries).
You think he'll do worse than 23/44 221 1td 4ints

No I don't think he'll do worse than Rudolph but I'm not sure he's good enough to beat Cleveland.
Duck wasn’t awesome after the TD but he looks 100% more comfortable out there than Rudolph. I was pulling for Rudolph and had confidence because of his preseason and how high colbert was on him when drafted, but he should be done unless Duck gets hurt now. 

No doubt our lack of skill players is a huge part of the issue but Rudolph does not seem able to spark any playS whereas Duck at least looks the part and he gets out of the collapsing pocket to at least try to extend plays.

Look around the league, we see Minchew, Fitzmagic, they figure out how to make plays.

Duck looked better right away.  Play him.

PS.  Is the NFL gonna cash in on next weeks game and make it National?  Granted it’s a huge wildcard implication but the fight last week is still garnering national attention.  .75mil in fines.  Who gets that?  Ha!

No doubt our lack of skill players is a huge part of the issue but Rudolph does not seem able to spark any playS whereas Duck at least looks the part and he gets out of the collapsing pocket to at least try to extend plays.

Look around the league, we see Minchew, Fitzmagic, they figure out how to make plays.

Duck looked better right away.  Play him.

PS.  Is the NFL gonna cash in on next weeks game and make it National?  Granted it’s a huge wildcard implication but the fight last week is still garnering national attention.  .75mil in fines.  Who gets that?  Ha!
I think if the Steelers go with Hodges, that puts a damper on the entertainment value.

Reasons Mason Rudolph will start vs. the Browns last week:

1) Mike Tomlin is a moron.

End of list.
First off, love him or hate him, Tomlin is not an idiot.  I was giving Rudolph the benefit of the doubt and I still don’t think it was all on him but he played like poop and I was heartened to see the move to Hodges.  

I am still not sold on the Duck but the Steelers had to do something, Anything, to spark the offense and they did so I give them credit for that.

We got the win and I’m glad for that but this team, especially the offensive line, better play better next week against the Browns or it won’t matter who is playing QB

First off, love him or hate him, Tomlin is not an idiot.  I was giving Rudolph the benefit of the doubt and I still don’t think it was all on him but he played like poop and I was heartened to see the move to Hodges.  

I am still not sold on the Duck but the Steelers had to do something, Anything, to spark the offense and they did so I give them credit for that.

We got the win and I’m glad for that but this team, especially the offensive line, better play better next week against the Browns or it won’t matter who is playing QB
The offensive line has been horrific most of the year.  They will be without one of their best players.  I have zero hope that they all of a sudden figure it out next week.  They are who they are at this point and that doesn't bode well when we have a young, inexperienced QB back there.  

We still control our own destiny to make the playoffs.  Buffalo's schedule gets a lot harder now and we get a head-to-head against them at home.  The other 3 teams are Indy, Oakland and Tennessee and they all have flaws.  Of course if we lose to Cleveland next week, it's all moot as they will surpass us as in the playoff race.  The defense is going to need to play out of their minds the rest of this season.

fred_1_15301 said:
I think if the Steelers go with Hodges, that puts a damper on the entertainment value.
I didn't find anything that Mason Rudolph was doing yesterday as entertaining.   Granted Hodges is going to have 2 or 3 of those games as  well.  Nobody believes that either one of them is the future. 

Tomlin really should be considered coach of the year if he can take this almost XFL like squad on offense to the playoffs.   I was watching the game at a bar and I almost questioned my fandom because I couldn't recognize most of the running backs and receivers in that game.

We have playoff tie-breakers over Indy and Oakland.  If we beat Cleveland next week, we'll have a pretty big lead over them.  Tennessee is likely going to be the biggest barrier to making the playoffs (if we beat Cleveland).  They're hitting on all cylinders and have an easy schedule coming up as well.  

That's based on the assumption that only the #6 spot is open, if Buffalo drops like a rock, then more opportunities open up.

I'd love to see the Steelers make the playoffs after all the adversity that they encountered this year, that said, no one believes they're going to make any noise in the playoffs if they do make it.  The AFC is - at best - a four team race...probably two, maybe one.

The NFC is a little more wide open.

I'm not "sold on" Hodges either but his current floor is Rudolph...   Mason is not mobile - Hodges can at least move around.   I think Mason is ok with great protection but he looks like Henne out there imo.  Way too late with throws, panics with pressure   - just my .02

Oh and the Steelers suck at evaluating QB talent

Quack. Quack, Quack, Quack! We finally sat Rudolph! Hodges isn't amazing, but he at least knows how to hit a WR in stride. I had 0 hope that we would win next week with Rudolph, but I think we have a 50/50 shot with Duck at the helm. Our O-line needs to improve.

Also, it's freakin amazing that we got Deon Cain. I hope they work him in a lot more next week. He's very talented and probably our 3rd best WR when Juju is in. If we can get Conner and Juju back next week, I think we have a 60-40 shot to win. 

I didn't find anything that Mason Rudolph was doing yesterday as entertaining.   Granted Hodges is going to have 2 or 3 of those games as  well.  Nobody believes that either one of them is the future. 

Tomlin really should be considered coach of the year if he can take this almost XFL like squad on offense to the playoffs.   I was watching the game at a bar and I almost questioned my fandom because I couldn't recognize most of the running backs and receivers in that game.
By entertainment value I was referring to Rudolph going up against Cleveland (given the incident that happened a week ago).  Other than that, I agree that there is 0 entertainment value associated with that guy.

BTW - I think I'm ready to do a complete 180 on Tomlin at this point.  The job that he's done with these complete scrubs on offense is nothing short of spectacular.  Most impressed I've been with him since his early years.
If he manages to get this team to the playoffs, with the number of injuries they had this year, he deserves consideration for coach of the year honors.

It's absolutely mind boggling that we were a bad call and OT away from beating this Ravens team with Mason frigging Rudolph.  As bad as the Steelers are on offense, they can go up against anyone with that defense.  Imagine if Tuitt was still in the lineup.   :loco:  

It's absolutely mind boggling that we were a bad call and OT away from beating this Ravens team with Mason frigging Rudolph.  As bad as the Steelers are on offense, they can go up against anyone with that defense.  Imagine if Tuitt was still in the lineup.   :loco:  
Yes but I do think the Baltimore offense is playing at an entirely different level now.   I admit that I was not a believer but the light has come on for Lamar Jackson.   As long as he has his mobility he is going to be darn near unstoppable.

That's Tomlins niche, being a rah rah players coach.  Where he falls short is when you hit the top rung and need a mastermind. That's why it's hard when they have a top team and then play down to their opponent... in that (vs the 1-8 Raiders) setting the team isnt buying the emotion and it's about Xs n Os. 

Yes but I do think the Baltimore offense is playing at an entirely different level now.   I admit that I was not a believer but the light has come on for Lamar Jackson.   As long as he has his mobility he is going to be darn near unstoppable.
This is true.  At least we get them again in week 17.  That's our only hope in that game.  

Baltimore's defense is playing much better, too. 

Godsbrother said:

I never said he was an idiot.  I was obviously (see what I did there?) misquoted.

I said he's a moron. 

Refs did us zero favors today but what a great win!  There should be zero doubt left that Hodges is the guy for the rest of this season. He looks a billion times more poised than Rudolph and can actually make a few plays on his feet.  I'm not fooling myself to believe that this team is any type of contender but the future looks pretty bright (if Ben comes back healthy).  They have 4 winnable games coming up (there is a chance that week 17 is meaningless for the Ravens).

Never was a Steelers fan but I am impressed by how they have responded this year.   This reason alone, like it or not, is probably why all the people saying to fire Tomlin are wrong. SO many coaches would have packed it in and delivered you a 5-11 this season.  

I'm not a Tomlin fan, never have been. I'm well aware that plenty of teams would be happy to have him, but I stand by every criticism of his lack of in-game adjustments, his awful track record of challenges, and how often his teams have shown up flat in spots they have no business showing up flat. I still believe that inheriting a HOF QB has masked a lot of his shortcomings as a coach.

Feeling that way doesn't preclude me from acknowledging that this team has FAR exceeded my expectations and I'm impressed that they've stayed together and positive in the face of a ton of adversity. I think the success of the defense has kind of spearheaded a belief that they'll be in every game, and the offense's job is just not to turn it over and screw it up. If they can make a few plays a game, all the better. 

I also don't think this team would've been as successful if they hadn't moved on from Antonio Brown and possibly Le'veon Bell. Especially Brown. The lack of drama this year has been nice.

I'm not a Tomlin fan, never have been. I'm well aware that plenty of teams would be happy to have him, but I stand by every criticism of his lack of in-game adjustments, his awful track record of challenges, and how often his teams have shown up flat in spots they have no business showing up flat. I still believe that inheriting a HOF QB has masked a lot of his shortcomings as a coach.

Feeling that way doesn't preclude me from acknowledging that this team has FAR exceeded my expectations and I'm impressed that they've stayed together and positive in the face of a ton of adversity. I think the success of the defense has kind of spearheaded a belief that they'll be in every game, and the offense's job is just not to turn it over and screw it up. If they can make a few plays a game, all the better. 

I also don't think this team would've been as successful if they hadn't moved on from Antonio Brown and possibly Le'veon Bell. Especially Brown. The lack of drama this year has been nice.
As one of the few Tomlin supporters on FBG I feel vindicated somewhat m. This is not a good Steelers team but Tomlin and his staff have willed this team to a 7-5 record.

Tomlin has his faults but he is doing a great job and all those that wanted to run him or of town should consider how many other coaches could turn a rag tag team like this into a playoff contender 

As one of the few Tomlin supporters on FBG I feel vindicated somewhat m. This is not a good Steelers team but Tomlin and his staff have willed this team to a 7-5 record.

Tomlin has his faults but he is doing a great job and all those that wanted to run him or of town should consider how many other coaches could turn a rag tag team like this into a playoff contender 
WTF!   

They have a pro-bowler or soon to be pro-bowler at almost every position. This is opposite from what you call a "not a  good  Steelers team.".   Rag tag team  is laughable, I'm glad your not in charge of personal decisions.  Holy crap.

WTF!   

They have a pro-bowler or soon to be pro-bowler at almost every position. This is opposite from what you call a "not a  good  Steelers team.".   Rag tag team  is laughable, I'm glad your not in charge of personal decisions.  Holy crap.
???   Sure except for QB, TE, WR, RB, 80% of the O line, 75-80% of the defense, punter, kicker,  etc.  Other than that, you're spot on.     :lmao:   

I hate the Steelers. 

That being said Tomlin having this collection of scrubs with this record is nothing short of amazing :tipshat:

Yeah Tomlin just knew Hodges was the better QB ALL ALONG. 

WTF!   

Tell me who on this offense is a pro bowler? We are down to a practice squad QB with no starting RB or WR and an offensive line that has been suspect at best.  

Users who are viewing this thread